Gotta Love the 870......

PDA

Falcontech
June 22, 2005, 09:00 AM
Well, I took my brand new 870 out for its maiden voyage last night and after 120 rounds (some misses, some hits :rolleyes: ) I think I made the right choice in going with the 870. I can thank many of the posts on this site in helping me to make that decision.

The action was smooth right out of the box and only got better the more I shot it. The patterning seemed really good (when the operator wasn't screwing up! :barf: )

Basically, I really like this gun......

Later

If you enjoyed reading about "Gotta Love the 870......" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GutWrench
June 22, 2005, 03:42 PM
870's RULE :D

mattw
June 22, 2005, 03:44 PM
the 870 is always a good choice, which did you get? Express? Super Magnum? Wingmaster? I have an 870 Express 26" barrel, i've had it for about 3 or 4 months and about 1000 rounds through it, its a great gun!

bakert
June 22, 2005, 04:08 PM
You have a fine shotgun. May be others more costly but none finer!! ;)

Dave McCracken
June 22, 2005, 07:22 PM
Picture a large older man with a quiet, Buddha like smile.....

870s are amazing. For a few weeks pay or less, one gets a tool that will feed protect and provide recreation for generations.

"The action was smooth right out of the box"....

Put 10K rounds through it and really experience Smooooooth....

WARNING:

870s do not breed but they do multiply. Good thing they're not as costly as Purdeys......

riverdog
June 23, 2005, 09:17 AM
Falcontech,
Which 870 did you buy? Mine are all 12 ga Wingmasters, the youngest being from 1981. Haven't tried any of their new shotguns.

ruger357
June 23, 2005, 09:51 AM
They are fine shotguns, enjoy.

Rupestris
June 23, 2005, 09:55 AM
Yes, they do multiply. You won't hear me complain though! :D

Congrats on the new 870!

TrapperReady
June 23, 2005, 10:47 AM
Yep! The 870 is one heck of a gun.

... almost as nice as a Model 12. ;) :)

Falcontech
June 23, 2005, 11:33 AM
Riverdog and MattW,

I got the 870 12 GA. Express Magnum with the 28" barrel with the wood stock. Dick's sporting goods also had it in 26" but for the same price I went with the 28". I am looking for a 18" or 20" barrel as well for HD. So far all I have seen have been rifled for slugs. Do they make them smooth bore as well in that size? If not, can I fire shells out of a rifled barrel?

I took it apart last night to give it a good first cleaning like Dave suggested in Cleaning 101. It was real simple to take down and put back together. Great directions Dave.

Later,

Falcontech :cool:

El Tejon
June 23, 2005, 11:43 AM
I only wish I could shoot up to the level of my 870s. :D

Rupestris
June 23, 2005, 11:44 AM
FalconTech,
Cabelas sells a 18.5" replacement barrel for the 870 that will fit your gun. Its made by Mossberg for the Rem's. Smooth bore, Cylinder choke, blued finish, bead sight.

Mossberg barrel for 870 at Cabelas (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jhtml?id=0005579212148a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnString=hasJS=true&_D%3AhasJS=+&QueryText=shotgun+barrel&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jhtml.22&Go.x=13&Go.y=10&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=shotgun+barrel&noImage=0&returnPage=search-results1.jhtml)

Price is $89.99 +S/H

Falcontech
June 23, 2005, 12:15 PM
A big AMEN to that El Tejon..... :D

Thanks for the barrel info Rupestris.

Dave McCracken
June 23, 2005, 07:53 PM
Glad they helped you, Falcontech. Exercized regularly and cleaned as needed, an 870 will last longer than any of us.

When you can, pick up a couple choke tubes and lots of ammo. Try a Skeet choke or IC for close shots and Skeet, and something tight for longer trap style targets and maybe turkey and waterfowl. Full works well.

Now go shoot it until it feels like a body part....

ZenMasterJG
June 23, 2005, 08:00 PM
I'm getting an 870 tommarow, to supliment my Savage 16ga. Yay! :D

Its really hard to find 16 gauge ammo 'round here. :evil:

mattw
June 24, 2005, 02:33 AM
Falcontech,
I have one of the 18.5" mossberg barrels on my 870 right now. I was kind of dissappointed in it because the bore was not polished at all and the chamber was rough. I took it to the gunsmith to makesure it wasn't going to be a problem and he said it was fine. If you care about a shiney bore, I suggest spending $8 more and getting a remington barrel. Remington offers 18" barrels for under $100, but I think you have to custom order them.. I couldn't find them on the parts lists.

Falcontech
June 24, 2005, 06:48 AM
Dave,

My 870 came with a modified choke. Would this fit in the category of "Something Tight" or is there another kind I should be looking for.
When it comes to different choke types do you either have the time to provide detailed info on each type or do you have a link to some information like that?

Thanks to all of you for the great info. Keep it coming!

Thanks,

Falcontech

mattw
June 24, 2005, 01:08 PM
This flash slideshow-type presentation by remington has detailed information on chokes that I found very educational: http://www.remington.com/safety/sbc_begin.html

Spreadfire Arms
June 24, 2005, 02:16 PM
i cant wait to attend Remington Armorer School at the factory in Ilion, NY! in 3 weeks!!!!!! :D

Nnobby45
June 24, 2005, 05:48 PM
Recently did some work with my two Wilson 870's. One a new Regular model with SureFire Fore-end, etc. , built on the Express receiver (18.5" bbl). The other a 1980's vintage Wingmaster built to the Border Patrol model (18"), with SpeedFeed stock and fore-end, with new Rem. bbl. Both are Armor-Tuff coated. The purpose was to test both with various LE Tactical ammo. Buckshot and slugs. When I got done, I decided to have a little speed test to see how rusty I was.

The Wilson/Scattergun Tech. is built on the Express as mentioned, but is so smoothed up that it doesn't resemble any off the shelf Express. The Wingmaster action was not polished, and the action bars aren't broken in and self polished yet.

The Wingmaster (Border Patrol) was able to deliver 7 rds in 1.72 seconds. All rounds without a hitch (obviously). Five rounds on a B27 ? target from 7 yds ranged from 1.25 to 1.33 seconds --first shot to last. This was not just a speed drill---hitting the target COM was the priority. The super smooth Wilson Regular model, with heavier SureFire was about the same from 7yds--5rds. The less smooth Border Patrol wasn't any slower, and both guns worked flawlessly. I'm not claiming to have set any speed records, but times were respectable. I don't see anyproblem in getting off 5 rds. in 1 second with work, but hitting the target is the priority. My other two 870's are a Wingmaster bird gun and a LW 20ga.

Have any of you folks timed yourself for speed? :)

Dave McCracken
June 24, 2005, 08:16 PM
Remington's idea of Modified runs about 20 POC. Their idea of Full runs close to another 20 POC tighter. Anything 30-40 POC will qualify as tighter.

A Point Of Constriction equals .001"....

My "Tighter" chokes include a Remington Full for either Steel or Lead shot and 39 POC. This was a gift from HSmith, may his tribe increase. Another is an aftermarket by Carlson's, with 30 POC. I use this for some trap and geese with Hevishot 2s.

FYI, Remington's idea of IC is supposed to be 10 POC. The one I had measured is 8.5 POC. Enough constriction for me at Wobble with hard shot. Close enough...

33-805
June 24, 2005, 10:43 PM
One of my four 870s is from Wilson's shop recently. It's the standard model. I also have a Standard model from the old Scattergun Tech. shop, long before Wilson bought them out. I love 'em both. I haven't timed myself other than to be fast enough to qualify but they are fast guns if you run 'em right. If you are planning on this as you HD shotgun, one thing I really recommend is the Surefire forend light. Mostly, if you need your shotgun, it's very likely going to be dark. YMMV of course... :)

mattw
June 25, 2005, 02:12 AM
that is a tough commitment for me.. I'd love one of the surefire fore ends but I don't have the $200 for one and when I do that is enough to buy half of a Springfield Armory GI. I think i'll just get the GI and hope for the best as far as lighting goes when I need to use my shotgun.

GRB
June 25, 2005, 02:29 PM
So far all I have seen have been rifled for slugs. Does remington actually make an 18 inch 870 barrel with rifling in it, or is it that the barells you have seen have been labelled as Rifled Slug barrels which means the slug itself is rifled as opposed to a rifled barrel.

mattw
June 25, 2005, 03:08 PM
I think remington only makes rifled 20" barrels.. i don't know why anyone would want an 18" rifled barrel.

meh92
June 28, 2005, 10:44 AM
You can spend more money, but you wont find a more reliable repeater than the 870.

My personal 870 is an 18" police model with rifle sights.

P. Plainsman
June 28, 2005, 07:53 PM
Recently picked up a short 870 Express for home D for about $350.
Man, that's a lot of deterrent for the money. I feel markedly better armed than I did with just my handguns.

The Rem comes to the shoulder well, slide works smoothly, gun feels reassuringly solid. I like it.

It's funny that many anti-gun folks seem to view shotguns as relatively genteel, acceptable "hunting" guns, yet throw a fit at the notion of private ownership of something like an AR-15. I believe shotguns were, or are, the last guns to go in Great Britain, for example.

Kind of odd if you think about it. A 12 gauge repeater represents a large amount of portable firepower.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gotta Love the 870......" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!