Idea! And a crazy one, too!

PDA

MicroBalrog
March 19, 2003, 04:17 PM
What if there was some form of co-ordinatory _international_ RKBA group (as
opposed to the NRA of America, who mainly care about the interests of U.S.
sportsmen)? Why are only anti-gun folks organized?
I think if we got 200 folks in different countries to
rally/demonstrate/protest vs. gun control simultaneously in different
countries (say, in London, Tel-Aviv, Moscow, and D.C.), you would be more
likely to get public coverage than 15,000 guys rallying in one place (like
the anti-AWB rallies in the early 90's or the Countryside Alliance
protests). A little bit of cash to print up
leaflets, and we can start rocking the boat pretty strongly.
Am I crazy?
Before you say "yes", I think the guys from the Union Francais de la Liberte
would want to to cooperate (their site says they want a European-wide NRA),
and I know almost for sure that the Civic Arms Union would - I spoke to them about
this.
So, when do we start to kick butt? ;-)

If you enjoyed reading about "Idea! And a crazy one, too!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
synoptic
March 19, 2003, 04:21 PM
I am prolly wrong here, but I think the reason anti's are so organized is because they don't have anything else to do. They have time to sit around and organize protests, make up statistics, etc...

An international organization would be great, anything to get our voices heard...

MicroBalrog
March 19, 2003, 04:24 PM
Anybody with practical suggestions of help can contact me via karpa@inter.net.il

Triad
March 19, 2003, 04:36 PM
I think it's a great idea.

MicroBalrog
March 19, 2003, 05:46 PM
So, anyone with practical ideas?

samualt
March 19, 2003, 07:31 PM
What does RKBA stand for?
(R)eally
(K)ute
(B)usty
(A)mazons
?

cratz2
March 19, 2003, 07:34 PM
What does RKBA stand for?

Seriously? It was a question you were asked when you registered?

The Right To Keep And Bear Arms.

[edit: Never mind... Just noticed you didn't asnwer that question when you registered]

fallingblock
March 20, 2003, 03:21 AM
We're behind the anti's in organizing because they are heavily funded and many come from academic backgrounds where their 'network' is already established for them.

A group of us in Australia think an interlinked action group for letter writing and policy planning outside the organized pro-gun groups could be effective. Sort of a 'cell' concept for targeted letters-to-the-editor and perhaps organizing other activities.
Is this the sort of thing you are proposing?

MicroBalrog
March 20, 2003, 05:37 AM
And organised demonstrations, protests, press-releases - like Amnesty international, but for guns.

fallingblock
March 20, 2003, 07:33 AM
Sounds interesting...
Care to switch to P.M. for further consultation?:)

MicroBalrog
March 20, 2003, 05:00 PM
The Self-Defense Network is in the discussion stage!
To subscribe to our e-mail list, e-mail
SDNetwork-subscribe@topica.com

Quartus
March 20, 2003, 05:13 PM
I think if we got 200 folks in different countries to
rally/demonstrate/protest vs. gun control simultaneously in different countries (say, in London, Tel-Aviv, Moscow, and D.C.), you would be mored likely to get public coverage

Pro-lifers put on a rally on the Washington Mall to the tune of more than half a million people. (Long before the Million Man March, when Klinton ordered the Park Service to stop counting heads at rally/demonstrations.)

CNN carried one small blurb, where they mentioned the number as a few thousand.

Now, was a rally of that size newsworthy? The largest rally the Mall had ever seen? (Record probably still holds.)

Need I point out what the media would have done if more than half a million people had rallied for gun control? Pro-abortion? Any other PC cause?

If they don't want your voice heard, your voice won't be heard.

Guess what! They don't want your voice heard.

Organize, certainly. Write letters and make phone calls. But know your enemy. You aren't going to get press coverage unless someone gets shot.

THEN they'll have it on every channel 24x7.

MicroBalrog
March 20, 2003, 05:55 PM
If they don't want your voice heard, your voice won't be heard

OK, but that it not necessarily so in all countries, and if one station reports "Demo in UK part of international action team", then this will make those who didn't report their demos look bad. Besides, there's that little thing called pre-demonstration PR.

Quartus
March 20, 2003, 06:32 PM
There was plenty of pre-demonstration PR done on the pro life march. And calls made to networks DURING the march, reporting the turnout.

It was not carried overseas, either.

It WASN'T blacked out because the networks didn't know about it. It was blacked out because they have an agenda. Having the general public know about certain points of view doesn't fit their agenda.

Reagan scared them. They found out what can happen to their agenda when our side communicates to the mushy middle. That's why they hate conservative talk radio. Information is getting out that they would rather keep quiet.

Don't expect publicity, unless they can show you in a bad light.

Navy joe
March 20, 2003, 07:32 PM
You are nuts.

Problem #1. Most folks that care about weapons rights have steady jobs, precluding them from painting themselves up and running through the streets nekkid.

Problem #2. Get enough weapons rights people together and a plant in the crowd will fire a shot, causing the whole lot to be tear-gassed, machinegunned, or arrested, depending on local customs. Governments don't fear most protestors because they usually demand something easy like peace, rather than equal access to lethal force and the powered conveyed within.

Problem #3. Any self-respecting CNN cameraman will zoom in on a peace protest to make a small demonstration look city strangling. Same cameraman upon seeing the same number of arms rights protestors will step back two steps and pan, all the better to suit their personal agenda of discrediting ideas they don't like.

I'd like it to happen, but first the world at large will have to warm to the idea of affirmative self defense. That will unfortunately take future failures of Euro gov'ts and the U.N. to protect their people from harm. In short, most folks here and abroad won't embrace weapons until the verge of social collapse. We will always be a very large, quiet minority.

MicroBalrog
March 20, 2003, 07:34 PM
Well, we could also organise otheri international protest methods.

MicroBalrog
March 20, 2003, 07:35 PM
Can anybody think of one?

ballistic gelatin
March 20, 2003, 08:51 PM
We would all have to take a day off from work and gather at the local courthouse dressed as either soldiers which would draw FBI or dress like Davey Crockett with koonskin cap. Would be a nice touch if a few people had toy flintlocks.

Navy joe
March 20, 2003, 10:15 PM
Further illusration of how unpopular protests go. Consider if you will our modern day Lawnchair Larry, that misguided fella that drove his tractor into a puddle in DC. One guy and he got an APC and a bunch of ninjas pointing SSGs at him. How do you think they'd react to a bunch of protesting gun owners? Another problem, we're too orderly. We're not going to set stuff on fire like ELF members, IMF protestors, or Chicago sports fans. We're not going to heckle cops or throw rocks or whatever it is those protest kids do. We have the common sense not to stand in front of bulldozers, etc. We're just lousy protestors.

keyhole
March 20, 2003, 10:24 PM
Gotta agree with NavyJoe. We are too tame.

QuickDraw
March 21, 2003, 02:25 AM
Gotta agree with NavyJoe. We are too tame.

And too splintered.We've got the Hunters vs RKBA folks,
the rest of the U.S vs California,the"why do you need 30
rounds" crowd,the "I've got a gun in a drawer just in
case" folks.
The one thing that the antis have that we need is a common goal.We are too split up on what we want.There are too
many subcultures inside the Gun Culture.

Microbalrog,I like your idea and will be glad to help out.

QuickDraw

twoblink
March 21, 2003, 04:12 AM
Speak for yourself Navy Joe.. :D

The fact that my congressman's secretary knows my voice... speaks volumes about how much I send him a phone call or email or letter.

Gun owners have JOBS. We don't sit around and complain about everything.

Also, good luck in trying to get the biased liberal media to give you coverage; they will probably take the opportunity to put a mole in there to start shooting and say how violent gun owners are.

Meanwhile, the anti's hold up signs advocating the shooting of OUR OWN OFFICERS :cuss:

Quartus
March 21, 2003, 12:07 PM
MicroBalrog, I don't think yoiu're nuts, but I do think NavyJoe has some good points. Really, large demonstrations by us would play into the enemy's hands.

But an organization that can coordinate letter writing, phone calling, and information sharing would be valuable.

Home schoolers have shut down Congressional switchboards and gotten "sure thing" legislation defeated a time or two, and all with NO demonstrations.

Navy joe
March 21, 2003, 02:29 PM
I don't really think he is nuts, just trying to point out some of our protesting shortfalls. I think we can and should pull off pro-rights rallies here, much of the rest of the world is just too anti right now. Another problem is always going to be factionalism as pointed out above. Further, if you are holding a protest you need to set out clear ideals and goals of the protests to try to ensure only like minded people show up. Hold a general "we love our guns rally" and tons of people sure to discredit your cause will show up. Being interested in gun rights I am not a pro-life, pro-choice, religious, or separtist activist and I really don't want some of the true loonies from those groups showing up to misdirect the aim of the event and give cameras handy targets.

I don't forsee me being a good picketer, I'll continue to be more of a Jehovah's witness of gun rights, telling my story and taking anyone shooting who will listen long enough, one at a time.

If you enjoyed reading about "Idea! And a crazy one, too!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!