1911 in IPSC

PDA

Rockrivr1
June 23, 2005, 01:08 PM
Last night I decided to bring along my S&W 1911 to an IPSC practice that's held at my local club every Wednesday. I usually bring along a Glock 22 with either a 40S&W or 9mm bbl or my Sig 220ST.

I've been steadily improving using these two handguns, but for whatever reason I was really smoking last night with the 1911. I'm not sure why, but my shot placement with the 1911 was hands down better then when using my Glock or Sig. Hell it was the best night I've ever had.

With that said, I'll be bringing along my 1911 again next week. You know, just to make sure it wasn't beginners luck or something. :scrutiny:

Has anyone else ever had this happen? Doesn't have to be just 1911 related. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 in IPSC" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sunray
June 23, 2005, 01:54 PM
"...not sure why..." I'd bet the Smith fits your hand better and it likes your ammo better. Good ammo out of a pistol that fits your hand makes a world of difference.

TonyB
June 23, 2005, 03:27 PM
When I started out IDPA I used a Taurus pt99(poor man's Baretta).I used it for about a year and was having good results.Then I bought a Glock 17..I did better almost immediatly.Now it may have been that I was just getting better anyway,but I do think the 17 is THE gun for me in IDPA....OTOH I bought and tried a Combat Commander and SUUUUCKED.As much as I wanted to be,I'm just not a 1911 guy.Different strokes I guess...luckily I found a gun that worked for me rather quickly. ;)

HSMITH
June 23, 2005, 08:18 PM
You had a good day shooting, that is at least part of the gain in performance. The 1911 is also one of the easiest guns to shoot well ever made, that is the other part of the gain.

There is a good reason you see so many 1911's in competitions, and you just found out for yourself.

mattjoe
June 24, 2005, 09:15 AM
Wednesday night practice? That means you're probably at Hopkinton or Harvard, you not going to shoot that gun this sunday at Harvard's match?

Rockrivr1
June 24, 2005, 09:55 AM
Hi Mattjoe

Yep, it was at Hopkinton. Great group of guys there. I've been learning a lot from them. This is actually my first year trying this. I used to do a lot of Highpower and I just happened to stumble into a practice one Wednesday night when I was heading to the range. It sure is a lot of fun, but I think I have a ways to go before I actually attend an event. Hell, I just heard the name of what they call two shots to the body and one to the head just last week. Can't remember what it was, but I'll know what it means the next time I hear it. ;)

Anyway, after last Wednesday's run one of the regulars there indicated that it's time I start attending some real matches. Soon I think.

mattjoe
June 24, 2005, 10:02 AM
Well, i hope sometime in the future Hopkinton has the facility to run monthly matches there, that would be real nice.
A ways to go before you actually attend an event?
You have at least 6 mags, something to hold them with and a holster?
If you know how to be safe with the gun, then you don't need to wait any longer to show up.
If you want to go to one of the smaller matches each month, come on down to Manville (RI) on the 3rd sunday, the Harvard matches are basically the most challenging, biggest ones each month, with the toughest competition.
Great job those guys do, great range they have.
term you're looking for is Mozambique.
Can't mandate it in competition anymore. Too bad, it was fun.

Old Fuff
June 24, 2005, 10:07 AM
Usually, but not always, the reason for shot-placement improvement is because the 1911 platform offers a crisp, consistant, 4 pound give-or-take trigger pull. Most of the other models you mentioned don't, and the D.A./S.A type pistols often have a lot of slack and take-up in their single-action trigger pulls. All of this can have a marked negative effect on hand-held accuracy. I think that this is one of the main reasons Browning's big pistol has remained so popular for so long. :)

WESHOOT2
June 26, 2005, 10:39 AM
I have guns I prefer but I shoot my 1911 best.

I believe it points best, for me (I've had other guns with great triggers that did not point like the 1911 -- Glock :banghead: ).

I don't like the 1911 best, but facts is facts, ay?

Krag
June 28, 2005, 07:06 AM
I have two Paras, a 16.40 HiCap and an 18.9 LDA. I shoot the LDA much better than the single action 16.40. :cool:

The only 1911s I shoot well are hicap guns. A single stack 1911 fits my hand so poorly I can't shoot them worth a dang. That - and their poor out of the box reliability - is what made me stop using them about 20 years ago. While reliability has improved over the years, for me the single stack is still one of the worst handling pistols there is. :mad:

Sunray
June 30, 2005, 11:42 PM
"...It sure is a lot of fun, but I think I have a ways to go before I actually attend an event..." No. Shoot any match you can. Shooting matches is as much fun as practices are. It really doesn't matter if you place or not. It's fun. Plus, you get to meet a whole bunch of truly excellent people who will give you tips and are generally great people.
"...one of the worst handling pistols there is..." Very big hands? Change grips and put in a long 1911 trigger. Mind you, sometimes a pistol just doesn't fit. My hand goes the other way. No double action pistol fits, no matter what I do. The classic .45 Government fits perfectly.
"...their poor out of the box reliability..." That I can't agree with that though. Reliability is about ammo and mags. No BNIB pistol will be 100% reliable with all ammo. You always have to fix the trigger and usually the feed ramp as a minimum with any new pistol. Then again, I only use my own loads.

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 in IPSC" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!