Flagburning Ammendment: brushfire obscures SCOTUS Eminent Domain decision!

PDA

cpileri
June 23, 2005, 06:33 PM
Can i speculate, just for a moment?
Thanks.

I cannot help but point out that when a MAJOR even occurs in American life and Politics, there always seems to be a concurrent emotionally-charged issue blasted over the mediawaves along with it.
Once the public attention is saturated with this brushfire event, the other more important story is quietly dropped.

Let's see, and please help me out if i forget any:

Today:
MAJOR event: 'supreme' Court rules private land can be confiscated for other private profit
Brushfire: Flag burning ammendment to the Constitution

Others:
MAJOR event: S. Burger stuffs top secret documents down his pants SEVERAL TIMES and heads out the door of the National Archives
Brushfire: Heterosexual Marriage ammendment to the Constitution

MAJOR event: passing of Patriot Act II
Brushfire: capture of Saddam Hussein

MAJOR event: Real ID Act passed 10 May 2005 (Oh, and it was unanimous, and they didnt even read it- just like the Patriot Act. Coincidence?)
Brushfire:11 May a Cessna flies too close to Whitehouse, govt panics and evacuates (Bush busy riding his bike); then we hear about shooting down planes for a few days.

Please add more.

Do we need to discuss the point I am restraining from writing?

C-

If you enjoyed reading about "Flagburning Ammendment: brushfire obscures SCOTUS Eminent Domain decision!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sergeant Sabre
June 23, 2005, 08:01 PM
Brushfire: Flag burning ammendment to the Constitution

They won't get the job done. The House has approved, but the Senate still has to, along with at least 38 States. Not gonna happen. I read an article earlier that this is like the sixth time that the House has approved this measure.

VARifleman
June 23, 2005, 08:05 PM
Sergeant, this thread details the amendment: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=144052

dfaugh
June 23, 2005, 08:15 PM
:what: :what: :what:

Art Eatman
June 23, 2005, 08:50 PM
cpileri, are you trying to tell me that somebody hired the Cessna pilot? That the Congressional leaders and the SCOTUS folks collaborated on when votes would be taken? That Congress knew ahead of time about where and when ol' Saddam would be found?

This is one of those deals where, yeah, you have a point. (Sorry about the punch iine, but I just can't resist; apologies in advance.) Part your hair right, and it won't show.

:D, Art

cpileri
June 23, 2005, 09:46 PM
Who told you about my pointy head?!?

As far as hiring the Cessna pilot? I wouldn't tend to believe it because if I was DELIBERATELY lihting a brushfire I would do something with much more media-sizzle... like the other brushfires mentioned. Could be that somebody luckily flew a plane near the capitol and gave the news-whores something to focus on and divert the public attention.

Now, as for all the other things being part of a well-orchestrated plan: sheesh. i don't knwo what to believe anymore.

Hey guys, help me out with other brushfires!

Like heres one that didn't work out too well: firing missles to make us forget about Lewinsky? You'd think someone as bright and professionally trained in deceit as Clinton could have thought up something better than that. I mean, he really underestimated the public interest in a blowj...er...fella... you know. This is the high road, so lets leave it at that.

Other's that worked???

Worked can be in the grand,public sense; as a distraction. Obviously, to those paying attention, these events are not missed.

C-

CentralTexas
June 23, 2005, 10:37 PM
There is no need for brushfires, 90% of Americans don't care or understand what is happening.
CT

2nd Amendment
June 23, 2005, 11:07 PM
A lot of people have noticed. Of course there's always someone around to shout about tinfoil but what does that leave? Oh yeah, coincidence. Yeah, that's better...

cpileri
June 24, 2005, 09:00 AM
I sure agree with you there, brother!
C-

cpileri
June 24, 2005, 12:21 PM
FWIW: on foxnews.com as of 2 minutes ago, there is no link to this story on the main page.

What was that i said about 'quietly dropped'?
C-

edit: cnn has a link in the LAW section near the bottom, washingtoncompost doesn't have one at all

Sindawe
June 24, 2005, 01:07 PM
Nor does CNN or MSNBC. I noted that by late afternoon yesterday, Fox had replaced the Kelo decision with "Breaking News" of the arrest of the Dutch father in Aruba.

Of course, it will be BREAKING NEWS when someobody fights back against an ED seizure of their home.

Art Eatman
June 24, 2005, 03:16 PM
cpileri, I think that the problem is your choice of examples. I'd say that Clinton's wag-the-dog episodes fit in to your views, much better. That is, there was a more direct linkage of the ability to control events on his part.

By the way, when somebody lays out a one-liner, a good response is, "Oh! I feel like a Philistine! I've been wounded by the jawbone of an ass!"

:D, Art

cpileri
June 24, 2005, 03:39 PM
I think my examples are OK. They are all pointing to what i refer to as a major event that has profound legal and/or social effects on what we consider the American Way of Life; and a coincident 'brushfire' which is much more better engages the public attention, but which doesn't mean jackelope sh_- to the erosion or maintenance of the freedoms we cherish.

Y'know, Art, alot of Philistines met their end with that ass jawbone! :)
C-

Cellar Dweller
June 26, 2005, 05:46 AM
Ah, the "brushfires" are emotionally driven events which tear at the very moral fiber of the country and are endlessly debated/argued (even Saddam - jail? firing squad? what to do with him?) via Errornet/OpEd/talk shows/etc and stay in the forefront.

The "Major Events" are only applicable to bad people or the other guy and never against Joe and Jane Sixpack, so there's nothing to see here...which is why they get dropped.

Both get overshadowed by which celeb is dating or divorcing or having a baby or making a sex tape this week anyway... :neener:

Art Eatman
June 26, 2005, 11:23 AM
Well, I took the comments in the opening post as meaning that somehow "the hand of man" were involved. That's why I shifted to the Clinton era, when it seemed there definitely was a laying on of hands. :)

The way I see it, numerous events occure everyday. The newsies, being in business to sell advertising, emphasize those events which will draw attention from the mass audience.

Has anybody ever known a tabloid to lose money? And it seems to me that there is an increasing number of magazines of the "People" sort--which is certainly an indicator of the absence of meaning in way too many lives.

Welcome to Modern America.

:), Art

If you enjoyed reading about "Flagburning Ammendment: brushfire obscures SCOTUS Eminent Domain decision!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!