Cocks Fighting in the Streets!

PDA

280PLUS
June 24, 2005, 06:56 AM
Not very gun related but LE related so I thought I'd post it FWIW

Here is some info I found on the Waterbury case.
Lorrie
Animal Abuse Case Database - Case Details
Cockfighting - 70 to 100 birds seized: Waterbury, CT - US
Crime Date: May 14, 2005
Case Status: Alleged
Case Photos: Available - Click Here

Abusers/Suspects:
Abuser: Suspect's Name Unreleased

Case ID: 4592

Classification: Fighting

Animal: chicken

View more cases in CT (US)

Watch case for updates

Case Report
An anonymous complaint about an alleged cockfight led to the arrests of about 35 people and the seizure of 75 to 100 roosters, city police said.

Authorities raided a building near downtown on the evening of May 14, leading to a chaotic scene that included a large group of people trying to flee the property and roosters fighting in the streets. A large amount of cash that allegedly was being wagered on the fights, was seized, police said.

Police received the complaint at about 6:45 p.m., said Sgt. Christopher Corbett, a police spokesman. When officers arrived they discovered about 100 people surrounding an arena/ring where two roosters were fighting.

Shortly after police arrived, a large group streamed out the front door on Cherry Street and knocked down an officer, who wasn't injured, Corbett said.

Some of the people fought with police, and a few birds escaped and started fighting outside the building, he said.

Animal control officers were called in to round up the birds.

"We're still in the process of determining what we're going to do with them," Corbett said.

The people arrested were charged with crimes ranging from gambling to cruelty to animals.

Police said they found a makeshift cockfighting ring and blood spots on the first floor of the building. Authorities also said they found a scale used to weigh the birds and plastic fighting spurs, which are attached to a rooster's legs and can tear through feathers and flesh.

Police seized over $70,000 in cash, narcotics, a shotgun, video cameras, fighting spurs for the roosters, vitamins and drugs used to make the roosters stronger and more aggressive, and first aid kits used to treat the injured roosters.

The last time something of this magnitude took place here in CT the BIGGEST problem was what to do with the birds. You can't euthanize them until after the trial(s) as they are evidence and can't place them because they will kill other chickens. The town (whose name I don't recall) had to put them all in seperate cages at a kennel and literally wiped out their annual animal control budget within a few days doing so. I recommended a nice chicken BBQ for when it was all over but that was met with mixed reviews. :p

If you enjoyed reading about "Cocks Fighting in the Streets!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
only1asterisk
June 24, 2005, 06:58 AM
"We're still in the process of determining what we're going to do with them," Corbett said.

I vote fried!

David

Rich K
June 24, 2005, 10:06 AM
How about a big fricasee or stew,with lots of veggies? :D

BTR
June 24, 2005, 12:38 PM
Cockfighter roosters are not eaten, due to the fact that they are treated with medications (antibiotics, etc) with unknown effects on humans. Siezed roosters are usually killed, I think.

critter
June 24, 2005, 12:44 PM
Betcha those ole fighting roosters would be so tough when cooked that you couldn't even cut the gravy made with them! Uck!

Art Eatman
June 24, 2005, 02:39 PM
I see dog fighting as animal cruelty. But, somehow, I just can't get emotionally exercised about chickens. Sorry, but as an old farm boy, they're just (bleeping) chickens.

:D, Art

Rebar
June 24, 2005, 04:42 PM
They show these fights on TV in the Philippines.

Boring. They spend 10 minutes trying to rile the chickens up enough to fight, then the fight about 10 seconds, then one of the chickens gives up. No blood that I could see, barely any feathers flying. I don't see the interest.

280PLUS
June 24, 2005, 05:23 PM
I actually attended a few of them in the Phillipines and not only did they last about ten seconds but MY CHICKEN ALWAYS LOST (and sometimes even if I thought it won!)

I soon learned to stop betting on the chickens... :D

Oh, Rebar, that 10 minutes was the pre fight betting going on, they were showing what massive powerful chickens they were to the crowd and the ones I saw the chicken gave up because it was dead. I was interested to see that they use plastic spurs, In the PI they were razor sharp steel.

Afterward the fights it was chicken adobo time! In that respect they weren't wasted but actually consumed. Not so in the states I presume.

Sam
June 24, 2005, 05:36 PM
Still legal here,
Them cocks is too tough for frying, gotta make a stew or adobo.

Used to go to the fights in the PI every Sunday afternoon right after church.

Sam

CentralTexas
June 24, 2005, 05:41 PM
there isn't anything some of you wouldn't call entertainment.
CT

Rebar
June 24, 2005, 05:47 PM
I'll stipulate that it might be more exciting in person, with money on the line.

I will say that adobo is mighty good.

there isn't anything some of you wouldn't call entertainment.
It's not my cup-o-tea, but it was a major form of entertainment for almost all of human history.

cropcirclewalker
June 24, 2005, 06:35 PM
I don't know if it's entertainment but there is only ONE rooster in each barn yard that gets to marry the hens.

Does anybody care to tell us how the roosters decide which of them it is?

Azrael256
June 24, 2005, 07:08 PM
they're just (bleeping) chickens Pretty much sums up my feelings. When Oklahoma was in the process of banning cockfighting, people were screaming about barbarism, and how chickens have feelings, too. I would usually respond with "Guys, it's poultry. Who cares?" I never did get a reasoned response to that one.

Art Eatman
June 24, 2005, 11:57 PM
Hmmm. I wonder why Pitiful PETA People don't go to Mexico and Spain and picket the bullfights? Or go into a cockfight arena to disrupt the Evil Degradation?

:), Art

bratch
June 25, 2005, 12:44 AM
I worked for 8 years caring for fighting cocks when it was still legal.

These birds are only good for 2 things: fighting and showing. There are some mighty pretty birds but with the interstate transporting laws it makes showing difficult.

They cocks will kill each other if they are in the same pen.

I had problems with the cruelty charge. The difference between the birds and dogs that I see is if you put two birds together they will fight two dogs have a much lower chance of fighting unless one has been trained to fight.

dustind
June 25, 2005, 01:13 AM
interstate transporting laws it makes showing difficult. Laws about transporting chickens!?! Our government is way too big.

Byron Quick
June 25, 2005, 01:31 AM
Art,

For the same reason that you don't see PETA folk throwing red paint on leather wearing bikers instead of fur wearing old ladies...cowardice, complete and utter cowardice. Linked to a very strong urge for self-preservation.

It's like a lot of these folk of similar tastes...I could actually support some of them...if they ever showed possession of courage in their convictions...instead of cowardly hypocrisy.

Take NOW for example...I believe women should be treated equal to men. However, NOW doesn't want equal treatment. It wants special treatment. When NOW demans that half of all custody cases should be decided in favor of the man...that half of all alimony should be paid by the woman to the man...that if a draft is ever brought back then women should be subject to it.

When they demand that women in the military should be ordered into combat in the same manner as males...then I'll support them. Until then, they're despicable hypocrites.

Firethorn
June 25, 2005, 02:01 AM
Byron Quick, I'd have to agree with you for the most part.

Of course, it's all the 'human rights' groups that are protesting Gitmo and ignoring the rest of the world that gets me. I have met people who are protesting the treatment of people in places like Saudi Arabia, Iraq(before the US went in), most of Africa, etc... Why aren't they featured?

The best excuse for the PETA people not throwing paint on bikers would be 'At least they're using the entire cow', followed by it being 'safety equipment'. Let's face it, cow leather is almost a byproduct of our meat production.

As for NOW, well, I agree with you. With the rights come the responsabilities and duties. Subject to the draft, equal rules for alimony, custody, etc.

280PLUS
June 25, 2005, 06:32 AM
I found it interesting that out of ~100 people involved in what is apparently a criminal operation only one shotgun was found.

Bratch, How long ago was cockfighting legal? When did it become illegal?

bratch
June 25, 2005, 09:03 PM
Was legal until fall of '02 or spring of '03 can't remember which one it was though so approximatley 2.5 years ago.

Brett Bellmore
June 25, 2005, 09:19 PM
But, somehow, I just can't get emotionally exercised about chickens.

Funny, as an old farm boy, I *CAN* get pretty exercised about chickens. As a local newspaper columnist said to somebody who opposed raising pheasants for release, but was ok with raising chickens because they were killed for food, not sport, "Chickens aren't killed for food. They're killed for revenge!" :evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "Cocks Fighting in the Streets!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!