Magazine sticking in mag well help

PDA

Rockrivr1
June 24, 2005, 01:19 PM
I'm pretty new to handgun competition so this question may sound pretty dumb, but here it goes. The one thing that I seem to waste the most time on during my run is the reloads. I'm sure I'm not alone here. What holds me up the most is that my mags just don't drop fast enough and I find that I'm having to grab and pull them out faster, which is taking me way to long to load a fresh mag.

My question is, are you allowed to use some type of lubricant in your mag well in IPSC or IDPA? If so, what do some of you guys use to help speed the exit of an empty mag.

If it's not allowed, what do you guys do to the mag or mag well to help it drop faster?

Any help would be appreciated. This seems to be a common problem with me no matter what handgun I'm using. I typically us a Glock 22, Sig 220ST or recently I started using a S&W 1911.

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Magazine sticking in mag well help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
June 24, 2005, 01:43 PM
You are a lot faster on the reload than I am. I punch the button as the gun goes empty (IDPA) and the magazine is long gone by the time I can draw the reload.

I think somebody makes a dry lube for magazines to speed the reload, and you can use weighted magazine base pads in IPSC (but not IDPA.)

ClarkEMyers
June 24, 2005, 02:00 PM
In a 1911 it is possible to over stroke the magazine release. First of course I'd look for scratches then I would mark the magazines and look for interference. I'd be surprised to find enough rubbing that serious lubrication would help and if I did I'd probably file some high points. Of course slippery polished magazines are a good thing.

sturmruger
June 24, 2005, 02:04 PM
Something doesn't sounds right here. Are you talking about just your Glock or are you talking about all of your guns doing the same thing. There are a large amount of Glock mags out there that will not drop free. If you compare them with the naked eye they look like any other Glock mag, but they will not drop free you have to pull them out. I can't imagine why your SW1911 mags wouldn't drop free.

Rockrivr1
June 24, 2005, 02:13 PM
If I give them enough time they drop free, but they just seem tight and are slow to eject out. When I push the release it just seem they are in slow motion and I'm grabbing at them to come out faster. Hummmm, maybe it's just my mechanics on how I'm doing it. I'll look into filing down the high points as well. Maybe that will help.

crucible
June 24, 2005, 03:24 PM
The mag should be dropping free, if not almost act like it's being slightly propelled out. Like the others have said, I'd bet there's something amiss there with the mag catch or mag themselves-have you tried different mags?

That said, I put Eezox on my mags; it makes them a bit slicker (dry), and nicer to handle.

Chris

HSMITH
June 24, 2005, 04:09 PM
Are you saying that you have the fresh mag up and ready before the empty mag is clear of the gun? Or is it just that it looks like it isn't coming out fast enough?

I punch the button with my strong hand and as the mag is falling out my weak hand is already on the way to my belt for a fresh mag. I have not been able to get a new mag seated before the empty mag gets below my belt line and this is something I have been working on very hard. I would guesstimate that with my 1911 you would be looking at somewhere down around .5 or .6 second reload times to get close to having an empty mag in the way of a fresh magazine.

The mags are a little slower coming out of my Glock than they are out of a 1911 but nowhere near being a problem. I did have to sand one Glock mag a little to reduce the area where it was dragging on the frame but only on one of 15 or so magazines.

One more thing I just thought of, are you dropping mags from slide lock or are you dropping mags with a round still chambered and an empty mag?

With the slide closed the follower will slightly propel the mag out when you punch the button, if there is ammunition left in the mag it really pops it out. Shooting to slide lock is typically much slower than empty mag with one in the pipe. Avoid it if you can.

eerw
June 24, 2005, 04:14 PM
Hard to diagnose without see it..

the Glocks I have had..I needed to go through a mags to find ones that will drop free..the plastic on plastic thing seems to cause more friction..as other have said..the glock mags sometimes swell when loaded which may cause the problem..I have heard of people using a silicone spray or armorall to try and slick them up..

the SW1911..should be dropping..sometimes the mag release may cause friction, the trigger bow may cause friction as well as the mag follower if it shifts forward...

test several mags...look for friction points...polish up the inside of the magwell of the SW1911, etc..

good luck..

If you enjoyed reading about "Magazine sticking in mag well help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!