What do you listen to while you clean your guns?

PDA

CentralTexas
June 24, 2005, 02:39 PM
or work on them etc?

I just listened to Stevie Wonder's Original Musiquarium I and am now listening to Willie Nelson's Teatro. Sometimes it's Marley, Robin Trower or newer heavy alternative, seems listening to good tunes is part of the process for me...
CT

If you enjoyed reading about "What do you listen to while you clean your guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cpileri
June 24, 2005, 02:47 PM
Usually i listen to the fan whirling around and my wife saying, 'i can smell that stuff in the house!'

Which means i have to move further away.
C-

heypete
June 24, 2005, 03:09 PM
Mostly I have some sort of movie playing on the computer (I only have one desk, and it has my computer on it. The guns, of course, are also cleaned on this desk, and I C-clamp my reloading press there too...). Rarely do I have just music playing.

SteveS
June 24, 2005, 03:16 PM
Last time it was the Best of Motorhead. Needless to say, I was alone while this was happening. Usually, I have the TV on.

Shootcraps
June 24, 2005, 03:21 PM
I watch the movie Collateral. :evil:

english kanigit
June 24, 2005, 03:23 PM
I just have my iPod on shuffle (random songs).
Just a sampling... Superchick, Ennio Morricone (The Good, the Bad and the Ugly SoundTrack), 12 Stones, Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel, All Together Seperate, Casting Crowns, The Verve Pipe, Third Day, Jars of Clay, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Eagles, Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band, Black Hawk Down soundtrack (awesome stuff! :D), Train, Stavesacre, Vertical Horizon, PinkFloyd, Blue Man Group or on occasion the We Were Soldiers soundtrack (also very good).

I've got over 3500 songs on my iPod, There's bound to be something good on there... :rolleyes:

Dave R
June 24, 2005, 03:34 PM
I used to watch Tremors, the series, when it was on. :(

Rabid Rabbit
June 24, 2005, 03:35 PM
I watch the X-files. The aliens and other really weird ones remind me what I keep the guns clean.

fjolnirsson
June 24, 2005, 03:44 PM
Willie, Waylon, Johnny, Merle. Hank 1, 2 and 3. "Shooter" Jennings. Dwight Yokam. Gretchen Wilson, Big and Rich, Cowboy Troy. Kid Rock. George Strait, Toby Keith, Motorhead. Brad Paisley. Blake Shelton. Beethoven, Mozart, Wagner.

Okiecruffler
June 24, 2005, 03:44 PM
Usually I'm watching a John Wayne movie, but if not that it's usually Rush, or something in the blues area SRV, Howling Wolf, or any of the Kings. Also like some of the young white boys, Lang, Sheppard and the like.

A Cleaner
June 24, 2005, 03:49 PM
Depends on the mood. When I can get over the cliche: old Metallica, older Pantera, Strapping Young Lad, Dropkick Murphys. When I'm feeling kinda funny: The Avalanches, Boards of Canada, Portishead, Morcheeba. When I'm feeling up: Ray Charles, Ella Fitzgerald, BB King, Muddy Waters. When I'm feeling down: Robert Johnson (a must have for any man that may ever have to clean a gun).

That about covers it.

clipse
June 24, 2005, 04:01 PM
Nirvana always while cleaning my guns. It just makes me happier.

clipse

MilsurpShooter
June 24, 2005, 04:04 PM
Got the new Ozzy 4 disc set I listen too and when it's not that it's System of a Down - Mezmerize

Moonclip
June 24, 2005, 04:06 PM
Listen to my sister bitch about the Hoppes fumes giving her a headache. Sometimes will watch CNN while doing it too.

ruger357
June 24, 2005, 04:08 PM
Either a decent movie or just listen to my scanner.

Lanceman
June 24, 2005, 04:19 PM
Neal Boortz, Sean Hannity, Rush, Michael Savage or Coast-to-CoastAM. Just depends what time of the day it is.

R.H. Lee
Usually, the voices in my head. I think they come from the satellite. :p

Nothing. I clean guns outdoors in the sunshine and listen to the birds chirp.

Sam
Ususlly listen to my SW when cleaning or working on weapons.
If I need music, something with ENERGY. Music without energy puts me to sleep.

Sam

Candiru
June 24, 2005, 04:35 PM
I usually put a movie on the computer while cleaning guns. I prefer wonderfully bad movies, like "Hackers", "Soldier", "Tron", or "The Chronicles of Riddick". Good movies like "The Incredibles" or "Ronin" just distract me.

Tankcommander
June 24, 2005, 04:36 PM
Since I started using my basement workshop it can be Warren Zevon, Toby Keith, Shania Twain, or Rush, Sean and Mark Lavine on AM.

TC

CentralTexas
June 24, 2005, 04:39 PM
they are the best thinking mans metal band ever! :p
CT

Spreadfire Arms
June 24, 2005, 04:40 PM
I usually have a good movie in my DVD player...like "Heat" or "Blackhawk Down" ..... something that will inspire me to clean!

p.s. speaking of Rush, a few years ago i was working part time for a radio station and i got into their sound check at the Verizon Wireless Amphitheater in San Antonio.....

Vitamin G
June 24, 2005, 04:43 PM
Blackhawk Down
The Boondock Saints
Collateral
When a Man Loves a Woman
We Were Soldiers

Eightball
June 24, 2005, 04:50 PM
Personally, I listen to classic rock radio stations, or one of my 50+ CDs. Seems appropriate--old music to listen to while cleaning old guns :) . The repetoire of what I won't listen to is a bit larger--rap, modern stuff, etc. just my few pennies worth.

Sindawe
June 24, 2005, 04:50 PM
I always listen to/watch what play in my home 90% of the time. The Trance stream from http://www.digitallyimported.com/. Watch 'cause' I pipe the WinAmp visualization out to the TV, while the audio goes to the household sound system.

50 Freak
June 24, 2005, 05:12 PM
I listen to classical music. Mostly Bach.

smokemaker
June 24, 2005, 05:14 PM
Everything fjolnirsson mentioned, plus all the great guitar rock from the 70's and 80's. At hunting camp, it's The Outlaw Josie Wales or nothing.

Checkman
June 24, 2005, 05:20 PM
I like Springsteen and Jackson Brown. I'm also partial to George Straight.

Matthew748
June 24, 2005, 05:46 PM
It depends on how much cleaning I have to do. If its not too much, an episode of "Dark Shadows," "Kung Fu," "The A-Team," or "MacGyver" gets thrown in the DVD player. More lengthy sessions call for "The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly," or "Terminator 2."

Tom Servo
June 24, 2005, 07:25 PM
I've been a musician, composer, DJ (the real kind, with spinning vinyl) and for a time I ran a record store, so I have a collection of...about 400 cds and 250 records. Plus the "archived" stuff on the basement, and the stuff on the hard drives.

It's funny, because when I get one of those "what am I in the mood for?" moments, it can turn into several hours of nostalgic crate-digging. When I finally dig out something (that wasn't even remotely what I was looking for at first) that piques me, that "Aha!" puts me in the right mindset for gun cleaning.

Last time was a great mix a friend of mine did called "Power of the Drum." Bulgarian Women's Chorus, Finnish industrial music, Bartok's 2nd Quartet, Mouse on Mars and the Finn Brothers previous times. I can't have any visual stimuls because it throws my concentration.

Zach S
June 24, 2005, 07:29 PM
Hard to say. One, I'm known for not cleaning my guns. Two, I'm a musical schizo. One minute I'll be listening to BB King, and the next I'll be listening to Devil Driver.

Ben Shepherd
June 24, 2005, 07:37 PM
Usually I listen to some good country music, the old time stuf like Buck Owens, Tammy Wynette, Tom T. Hall, etc. Reminds me that this coiuntry used to be a little different. Besides it's only proper:

Half of my rifles are lever action, and ALL of my pistols are wheel guns. I don't like watching movies because I end up spending more time watching the movie then cleaning my guns. :scrutiny:

Kamicosmos
June 24, 2005, 07:41 PM
Cleaning guns....whatever is already qued up. I often grab a gun to clean, and will clean it while surfing, so often there is no music.

Now reloading though...I really like to have Haujobb's From Homes to Planets or Funker Vogt's We Came To Kill. Good pace, nice for background music, and the subject matter is also partially relevant! :evil:

DonNikmare
June 24, 2005, 07:46 PM
If it's during week days, talk radio. If it is on the weekend, NPR. And rarely to music - oldies or classic.

Nik

Black Majik
June 24, 2005, 07:55 PM
Depends on what I'm in the mood for... I usually let my playlist on my computer run on, so whatever is playing.

Here's some of the bands/groups/artists etc that I listen to while doin' the cleaning...

4 strings, 112, Aaliyah, AFI, Alice Deejay, And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of The Dead, Aqua (Antiloop), Armin Van Buuren, ATB, Aurora, Blank And Jones, Big Pun, Blackalicious, B Thugs & Harmony, BT, Bush, Chicane, Concept, Cosmic Gate, Crystal Method, Daddy DJ, Daft Punk, Darude, Dave Mathews Band, Dee Dee, DJ Encore, DJ Jurgen, DJ Quicksilver, DJ Jean, DJ Sammy, DJ Taucher, DMX, Drowning Pool, Evanascence, Eve 6, Ferry Corsten, Foo Fighters, Foggy, Foxy Brown, Gigi D' Agostno, Ginuwine, Goo Goo Dolls, Good Charlotte, Greenday, Guns N' Roses, Hoobastank, Ian Van Dahl, Jimmy Eat World, Johnny Viscious, Kanye West, The Killers, Lasgo, Lazard, Lighter Shade Of Brown, Linkin Park, Live, Lost Witness, LSD, Ludacris, Marc Et Claude, Matchbox 20, Marco V, Matt Darey, Mauro Picotto, Metallica, Milk Inc., Motorcycle, Miss Jane, Nate Dogg, Nickelback, Noemi, Biggie, Offspring, Oceanlab, Lautsprecher, Outkast, Orion Too, Operatica, Paul Van Dyk, Paul Oakenfold, PPK, Prodigy, Robert Miles, Ron Van Den Beuken, Rezonance Q, Ratty, Rank 1, Safri Duo, Sash, Schiller, Scooter, Silverchair, Social Distortion, Soul Asylum, Staind, Stone Temple Pilots, Story Of The Year, Strokes, Svenson and Gielen, Sunbeam, Sublime, System Of A Down, System F, Switchfoot, Three Doors Down, Third Eye Blind, Thrillseekers, Three Drives, DJ Tiesto, Tilt, Tupac, Trust Company, Underworld, The Used, Usher, Warren G, Voodoo & Serano, Way Out West, Weezer, Yanou

:D

texasguy
June 24, 2005, 09:25 PM
Lynyrd Skynyrd
80's Metallica
Pink Floyd
70's Aerosmith
Guns N' Roses

pretty much any classic rock.

SouthpawShootr
June 24, 2005, 09:53 PM
Absolutely nothing. I insist on as close to absolute silence as I can possibly get (usually this means working late at night when everybody is in bed). No visitors either. I have been known to be extremely rude to people who disturb me when I am cleaning or working on a gun. Last thing I need is for something to get lost or to jam up a gun b/c I wasn't paying attention.

Jeff
June 24, 2005, 11:01 PM
while cleaning my firearms:

I usually watch MacGyver reruns and scream at the TV, "Look at me, Richard Dean Anderson! I have a gun! I must be a bad guy!"

Or sports.

GRB
June 24, 2005, 11:30 PM
Hmm, let's see:

I listen to the slide being pulled back to check to make sure it is empty. I listen to the sounds of metal on metal during disassembly. While actually cleaning I listen to the bore brush as it slides over through the depths of the barrels, the brass brush as it scoots over really dirty parts, the spray of the compressed air can to get out any dust or dirt in hard to reach places, the barely perceptible and smooth almost silky sound as the oiled patch glides on the metal surfaces of whatever gun I am cleaning and, I listen to the then slightly muted metal on metal sounds of lightly oiled parts as they go back together smoothly and snuggly. It is all music to my ears because I know it is a job well, if not superbly, done!

I also sometimes listen to sounds of myself talking about whatever it is I am talking to myself about at that moment; no I do not answer back or have arguments with myself, I just tend to think out loud. Last time I cleaned my MP5 mags, I did it outside and got to listen to the birds, and the breeze rustling in the trees and, also an awful lot to the brush as I scrubbed off the rust (issue mags that came to me pretty darned rusty). Still music to the ears, a labor of love.

Best regards,
Glenn B

reload4me2
June 24, 2005, 11:46 PM
Blues on XM radio :D

Moondoggie
June 24, 2005, 11:52 PM
"60's on Six" on XM Radio. :cool:

fjolnirsson
June 24, 2005, 11:54 PM
, I just tend to think out loud.

So, are you saying you have no internal monologue, as a result of the unfreezing process? :neener:

GRB
June 25, 2005, 12:03 AM
Monologue yes, and sometime internal (I only tend to talk outloud to myself when I am alone, but never any arguments with myself - it keeps the people around me happier. :p :neener: :eek:

Blue Jays
June 25, 2005, 12:43 AM
http://www.judaspriest.com/photo/newpriest/NewPriestLogoWhite_150.jpg

JohnKSa
June 25, 2005, 12:45 AM
Generally leave the TV on tuned to the history channel. Even not really watching--just listening and glancing up now and then--you can still get most of the info.

Zeke Menuar
June 25, 2005, 01:19 AM
At last I checked I had about 5000 individual tunes on my computer playlist. I couldn't tell you what I listened to the last time I cleaned. This morning it was Frank Zappa, Jimi Hendrix, Motorhead, Miles Davis, Neil Young, Buddy Guy, Pink Floyd and many more.

I don't sit and clean much. Too many guns. Use the lazy man's foamy stuff.

ZM

Logan5
June 25, 2005, 01:25 AM
Heh, "The Rustlers of West Fork" by Louis Lamour, as read by Willie Nelson and The Highwaymen. Only book on tape I have handy in the basement.

Bostonterrier97
June 25, 2005, 04:21 PM
Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline, Hank Williams Sr.

The Grand Inquisitor
June 25, 2005, 04:50 PM
Music: Exhumed, Immolation, Last Days of Humanity, Graveland, Leng Tch'e, Combat 84, Condemned 84, Abrasive, Incantation, Autopsy, ect ect ect...

Everything else: Start Trek DVD's (either DS9 or the Orginal Series), King of the Hill DVD's, or Futurama DVD's.

Old NFO
June 25, 2005, 04:58 PM
Since I clean mine outside, I listen, like others to nature :D

Plus the bright light makes me check all the little corners and crevases... I will never ceased to be amazed at the places dirt/powder can get into in a gun... :banghead:

Farnham
June 25, 2005, 11:42 PM
Nirvana always while cleaning my guns. It just makes me happier.

ROFLMAO

Dunno if you meant that to be funny, but you owe me a keyboard. :evil:

I listen to CCR, Skynyrd, Tool, Metallica, Johnny Cash, and Waylon Jennings...and whatever else shows up on the playlist.

S/F

Farnham

Shootcraps
June 25, 2005, 11:45 PM
Kelly Clarkson.

Sir Aardvark
June 25, 2005, 11:47 PM
Nazareth - Hair of the Dog!

over, and over, and over again.........

GunGoBoom
June 26, 2005, 01:08 AM
Wide wide variety...but I just came from watching AKUS in concert tonight(Alison Krauss with Union Station) - that's good stuff. Marty Robbins' Big Iron is a good song for cleaning handguns. :p

IZinterrogator
June 26, 2005, 01:22 AM
I usually am watching FOX News or Reno 911! when cleaning guns (odd combo, I know),

Route 66
June 26, 2005, 09:18 AM
I listen to the Big One, 700 WLW out of Cincinnati, Ohio. It'll either be talk radio or the Reds playing, if it's the Reds playing I'll usually turn it to another station. :-)

M2 Carbine
June 26, 2005, 09:38 AM
I've got a TV in the gun shop so I watch whatever is on or put on a movie while cleaning or working on guns or reloading ammo.

wolf
June 26, 2005, 11:59 AM
The Goldberg Variations of Johann Sebastian Bach played by Glenn Gould

Kind of Blue by Miles Davis

you don't have to listen..like meditation..you just become the music..clearity..precision..cleaning a fine gun..or driving a fine sports car @ 120..

wolf

Stevie-Ray
June 26, 2005, 12:47 PM
Myself P&M-ing about how dirty they got. Unless the weather's nice, then I can listen to the birds.

The_Shootist
June 26, 2005, 01:27 PM
When I'm cleaning my pistols after a range session I always turn on the TV and flick over to one of the pure music channels that my digital provider has.

The type of music? Rap of course. Listening to drug deals going bad, shootouts under the streetlights and homies lying surrounded by chalk puts things in perspective while dissassembling my Glock (or SP 101...or 1911...or
:D )

shermacman
June 26, 2005, 01:34 PM
Air America
Barbra Streisand
Jeanine Garafolo
Mother Jones radio
Al Franken
Hillary Clinton screaming about "patriotism"

Clean'em up real good.

GlenJ
June 26, 2005, 01:48 PM
106.9 The Fox classic rock station or 100.5 Max FM that plays new and old rock!!!

Stauble
June 26, 2005, 02:02 PM
i listen to some good Country Music
Charlie Daniels, Toby Keith, Merle Haggard, Alan Jackson

or i watch a John Wayne ( i love Big Jake and El Dorado)

dfaugh
June 26, 2005, 03:20 PM
Neil Young, CCR, Doors, Traffic, Ozzie/Sabbath, Motorhead, Deep Purple

DarthBubba
June 26, 2005, 03:57 PM
Music to clean guns and purge the soul.

For me it is any one of a number of Baroque classical music masters almost anything from Bach to Weiss.

DarthBubba :evil:

ewb45acp
June 26, 2005, 05:01 PM
Glenn Miller, Muddy Waters, Ray Charles, Duke Ellington, Dave Brubeck, Mark Lanagen.

entropy
June 26, 2005, 07:06 PM
I just posted this in another thread, but here goes:

Watch: Enemy at the Gates. Keeps my Mosins happy.

Saving Private Ryan. When cleaning the '03A3, wishing I had Jackson's.

FMJ: All the M16's jamming reminds me why I clean.

The Green Berets: Same, and just a darn good movie!

Listen: Sometimes I just fire up WM10 and let it ride:

Homer at the Gun shop keeps me smiling.

"...and this is for shooting down police helicopters." 'OH, I don't need anything like that.....yet." http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/mosinfan/homer.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/mosinfan/paranoid.gif

The Red Army Chorus' stirring rendition of the Soviet National Anthem. Makes my Mosins come out squeeky clean.

CCR: Suzie Q . Apocalyse Now. 'Nuff said.

A ton of movie quotes: "Funny how?" "Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun." " How tall are you, Private?" ' Sir, five foot eight, sir!' " Five foot eight? I didn't know Art's Grammaw stacked stuff that high!"

Metallica: Seek and Destroy

Superchic: One Girl Revolution. 'I've got the rifle gonna be myself'

Gary Wright: Dreamweaver, Sky Eyes. Groovy, man.

Some good minor key Bach organ music, ala 'Toccata & Fuge in D minor, BWV 565. It just goes with cleaning guns, I think. :)

Feanaro
June 27, 2005, 03:02 AM
It depends on my mood. I have a pretty wide musical taste. Sometimes I listen to Led Zeppelin, the Who and company. Sometimes it's the old school rockers, the Doors, Elvis, Cream, etc. And then I cool things down with a little Cello music from Bach or anything by Shostakovich. Speed things up a little with "Mars, the Bringer of War", "Night on Bald Mountain", or "Adoration of the Earth". Then I pull a Python(and now for something...) and listen to Irish drinking music. Yes and other Proggers get a lot of air time with me. Or a little 80's indulgence with Styx, Dire Straits, and Def Leppard. And Southern Rock is, of course, required. CCR, Allman Bro's and their kin. A little Jazz is always welcome.

And I can even tolerate a pinch of country. But not the pop we call country now, if I'mma listen to country I want the stuff about momma, trucks, jail, beer, trailers, and the whole lot. ;)

It would be easier to find out what I don't listen to. Metal, or any sub-category. Anything recorded after about 1987. No pop. Playing techno, reggae, rap, punk, and alternative in my house is punishable by nagging.

KriegHund
June 27, 2005, 03:12 AM
Silence, usually, the noises of my cleaning, the bolt moving in the reciever...

Dr.Who
June 27, 2005, 04:24 AM
Click, Click, Click, Click, Click, no Bang :D

38Mike
June 27, 2005, 04:37 AM
"Hot Swing" by Mark O'Connor.......... :D

Texian Pistolero
June 27, 2005, 05:22 AM
For my Glocks, generally Chopin.

For my shotguns, generally Zamfir and his pan flute.

cobb
June 27, 2005, 08:03 AM
I listen to 1500 talk radio and a scanner at the same time.

RTFM
June 27, 2005, 08:43 AM
GamersRadio.com

Our Live 365 internet radio station.

We get between 350-450 listeners each day. We are ranked 6-7th in the Metal Category on Live365 with about 10,000 Total Listening Hours in the last 30 days. Needless to say, it has done better than we ever imagined.

http://www.live365.com/stations/gamersradiodotcom?play

Actually I listen to |GRB| about 10hours day, the question for me should be reversed, what do you do when listening to your station? SOmetimes I clean my guns.

moredes
June 27, 2005, 09:16 AM
and obey the Voices. They guide me in all my decisions, but they don't talk all the time. :) :uhoh: :scrutiny: :)

Rupestris
June 27, 2005, 09:25 AM
Lately its been Irish Folk/Pub tunes. Currently the Dubliners and some compilation stuff.
Otherwise its the classic rock station.

If the TV is on, I'll throw in a DVD like Ronin, Tombstone, or one of my favorite sub movies (U571, K19, Crimson Tide, Red October, Das Boot, Down Periscope, Run silent run deep...)

Combat-wombat
June 27, 2005, 09:30 AM
Wow... I thought I was the only THR member who listened to Stevie Wonder.

Anything from Steely Dan to Stevie Wonder to Fleetwood Mac to Motley Crue and Van Halen.

Marshall
June 27, 2005, 09:38 AM
Most usually Fox News or a TV program.

Smurfslayer
June 27, 2005, 01:53 PM
Ride of the Valkyries.

Always.

Spreadfire Arms
June 27, 2005, 02:02 PM
Ride of the Valkyries would be a good song if you were cleaning a minigun or a M60, or polishing a Huey. :D

Punkermonkey
June 27, 2005, 04:58 PM
Usually - operation ivy, sex pistols, social distortion
Sometimes - green day, MxPx, pennywise
Never - KROQ

coonan357
June 27, 2005, 09:21 PM
some good ol christian contemporary ( jars of clay ,casting crowns) and ocasionally some joe satriani and mr bartley , this is a family board !! :what: ( that descrition sounded like gene tacklbery from police academy )

Gung-Ho
June 27, 2005, 10:06 PM
Red Dawn. It's also my reloading video. :)

TrapperReady
June 27, 2005, 11:52 PM
My tinnitus. :(

If you enjoyed reading about "What do you listen to while you clean your guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!