Need some help and suggestions

PDA

feedthehogs
June 24, 2005, 06:55 PM
Got some news yesterday reguarding some heart surgery I had two years ago.
Problems have developed, long story short looking at maybe a few years left on this good ol planet.

The problem is I want to liquidate things that the family doesn't want now to keep them from having to burden themselves afterward. I went thru it when my dad went and I don't want them to go thru the same.

When I went in for surgery, I made the family tell me what they wanted from the guns I own and they are willed already.

Problem is I got a bunch left including 2 safes, a bunch of powder, primers, some bullets as I already had sold some of my reloading stuff, gun mugs, metal gun signs, cars and trucks with gun company names on them, about 50k rounds of good ammo all in 50 cal cans, stripper clips and well just gun stuff.

Selling it piece meal will take too much time and I would like to sell it all at once, come pick it up with a truck. No junk in the mix all good stuff.

I have contacted an auction, but they want to break it up and it will take too much time as I want to spend more time with the family.

Any suggestions?

If you enjoyed reading about "Need some help and suggestions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ken w.
June 24, 2005, 07:08 PM
I would have one of your family members put it on Ebay.You'll usually get top dollar for it and you can still spend time with your family.Gun auction are another good place to get rid of everything at once.Just make sure the auctioneer advertises the auction well.If people know about a gun/gun related auction,they'll be there.Here in NY you can't buy guns cheep at an auction.Good luck.

wmenorr67
June 24, 2005, 07:15 PM
Donate your collection to the NRA or a local gun club. They will use the proceeds to further firearms education and safety.

Ben Shepherd
June 24, 2005, 07:49 PM
A donation like that to a worthy cause would be wonderful. You could try the "Friends of the NRA". You could set the market value and take it as a tax write-off.

The friends of the NRA is the arm of the Nra that does no politics. All the proceeds support the eddie eagle program, local shooting ranges, boy scout camp gun ranges, women on target etc.

Edit: Rude of me to not wish you strength in your trials. So I will do so now.

CAS700850
June 25, 2005, 12:27 AM
First, I hope and pray that your concerns are for naught, and you can use up all those reloading supplies yourself over then next many years.

However, I do admire your planning for your family. First, double check with them. Two years have passed, and interests may have changed.

Second, check with friends, shooting buddies, etc., who may be willing and able to buy it as a lot, and only if the need arises, and will excuse you for backing out of the deal when you no longer need to make the sale (forgive me, I'm an eternal optimist.)

best of luck for you, for your health first, and your project second.

P95Carry
June 25, 2005, 12:54 AM
You are being realistic, I can see that - and I applaud your approach. I am sorry you should have these problems at all.

I guess a ''job lot'' advertisement somehow - whether in local paper or even a gun auction site. Maybe Gunbroker but with a sensible reserve.

I sincerely hope your concerns are ill founded and that you have a long time left to enjoy.

Travis McGee
June 25, 2005, 01:26 AM
May you live to be 100!

BluesBear
June 26, 2005, 09:18 AM
about 50k rounds of good ammo all in 50 cal cans Why not shoot most of it up?
That way you can make double sure that all of those guns you are leaving to the loved ones are safe to fire. ;)

Everyday is a gamble for all of us, so continue to live your life.
Forget about the doctors. They're usually not much more accurate than weathermen.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need some help and suggestions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!