9mm Power Factor & IDPA Performance

PDA

GunAdmirer
June 25, 2005, 02:39 PM
I am going to start shooting in our local IDPA matches this month. I am still learning.

I have developed a 124 gr. 9mm load that is just over the required power factor (127,750). Will it have enough power to do what is needed in the matches as long as it meets the power factor requirement? I am thinking about steel plates, etc.

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm Power Factor & IDPA Performance" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HSMITH
June 25, 2005, 02:57 PM
Yes it will. With a 9 a low hit on a popper won't go down but hit them above center and they should go down. Plates don't take much at all to put down.

GunAdmirer
June 25, 2005, 03:24 PM
Is there an advantage to shooting 147 gr. bullets at lower speeds?

What are you seeing out there? Are most people just shooting factory equivalent or reduced power loads?

Seems like handloaders would load to just over power factor to make it easier on the pistol and, as a secondary benefit, the follow up shots.

What I've worked up:

124 gr. @ 1039 fps = reduced power (128,836 power factor)
124 gr. @ 1128 fps = factory equivalent load? (139,872 power factor)

Jim Watson
June 25, 2005, 04:37 PM
A 147 at 900 fps (pf 132) or a bit less is very soft to shoot. If you handload 9mm, it is well worth looking at.
Don't try to cut your power factor to the bare minimum, you could be embarassed by a different chronograph or changing ambient conditons. I would consider your PF 128 load a bare minimum and would probably raise that a bit for big matches. No need to go all the way to PF 139, though.

Many folks around here just shoot Blazer or other econo-ball because in these busy and affluent times it is "not worth their time" to handload a common cartridge.

HSMITH
June 25, 2005, 06:54 PM
Agree with Jim, the 147 shoots very soft. It is my preffered bullet weight for gaming.

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm Power Factor & IDPA Performance" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!