Any interest in an Alaskan shoot?

PDA

Jordan
June 25, 2005, 09:01 PM
I did a search for any past Alaskan shoots that I may have missed... true to form, we're an anti-social bunch... not much there.

There's a handfull of us in the Anchorage (+/-) area..
I'd propose meeting out around Point Makenzie (outside of Wasilla) though obviously open to any suggestions.

It would be fun to think up some shooting "games" (scenarios, competitions, etc) rather than just standing around burning up ammo... though that's plenty fun too.

Summer's short.. come out of your dens!

Josh

If you enjoyed reading about "Any interest in an Alaskan shoot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
spacemanspiff
June 26, 2005, 08:52 PM
usually on sundays you can find at least two board members (and maybe one former member) at rabbit creek.

can't speak for anyone else, but i do hate people. ironically i love gatherings.
:D

Cosmoline
June 26, 2005, 09:32 PM
Now that I'm back in town I've renewed at Rabbit Creek, though the limitations of the rifle range are starting to bug me. I'm gearing up to start handloading 54R again and I suspect I'll be shifting back over to Birchwood for the better ranges and load testing facilities. For group shoots Birchwood is much better, esp. if you get the pass card and can sneak in there on holidays. I'm not much of a competition shooter, though I would like to knock over some bowling pins or iron targets if anyone has some.

Jordan
June 27, 2005, 02:22 AM
My wife and I went shooting today over across the bay. It's a long drive but I still prefer it over the range. You can just do whatever you want over there.. and I found a secret place that you can shoot out to 1000+ yds! ("secret" only because I'm afraid if it got overused or abused, it might get signs posted or somesuch)
Anyway, we put up balloons and ran through some fun scenarios (getting out of the car, engage targets over the hood, run over here, magazine change, shoot 2 more targets, etc, on a stop watch) and had a BLAST! We brought bolt guns too but wore ourselves out before remembering to shoot them.

I have a B-wood pass and I'm all about sneaking in on holidays (mon, tues). That's about the only time I'll go there anyway...
Do your schedules allow you the flexibility to go during the week at all?

Cosmoline: I have a Finnish M27 that I don't know much about... what can you tell me about those? Are they the least bit desirable? What is their history, etc? It has a "T" inside a triangle on the barrel and is dated 1934. The stock is roughly made but doesn't appear to have many handling scars. The action and barrel are practicaly like new.... unfortunatly. I'd love to imagine it was a winter war vet.

Cosmoline
June 28, 2005, 06:35 PM
Sounds like you have a Tikka M-27. These were one of the main battle rifles for the Finnish regular Army ("SA") until the advent of the M-39. As a practical matter they served alongside the standard Finnish M-91's during the Winter War. Yours almost certainly would have served in the Winter War. According to Doug Bowser the bores on the M-27's were set at a standard .3095". If your rifle has a "D" stamped on the barrel shank, which it should, it should be safe to fire with all 7.62x54R ammo. The "D" signifies that the Finns reamed out the throat to prevent excess pressures from developing from large bullets. The only Mosins with a true .308" bore are the "White Death" 28/30's and certain match rifles you rarely if ever see in the US.

The M-27's were fairly common as Finnish Mosins go, but there are some rare variants like the carbine or "ski stock" versions.

Here's a detailed writeup on them:

http://www.mosinnagant.net/finland/The-Finnish-M27.asp

If you enjoyed reading about "Any interest in an Alaskan shoot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!