I want an M1A Abrams!!

PDA

twoblink
March 19, 2003, 09:53 PM
No, please don't move this to the Rifle section... I mean I want an M1Abram! 60 Tons! Do I need a Class 3 license for that?? After reading details about them in the newpaper today; I think an M1A would make a great companion to my other M1A...

It would certainly take care of those "caliber war" discussions.. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "I want an M1A Abrams!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BerettaNut92
March 19, 2003, 09:55 PM
Dude, with the gas prices this high, are you sure?

Blackhawk
March 19, 2003, 09:57 PM
Saw THC's presentation on the Abrams -- twice! :D

Neat machine!

BerettaNut92
March 19, 2003, 10:00 PM
So what's it armed with a 120mm cannon, a 7.62 LMG and .50 BMG?

CWL
March 19, 2003, 10:03 PM
Not for sale yet. The armor is still classfied.

There's a billionaire hereabouts in N. California who collects tanks & AFVs (~400 so far), and he hasnt been able to get his hands on one yet so you'll have to wait your turn. ;)

Andrew Wyatt
March 19, 2003, 10:03 PM
it's got 2 FN MAG MG's (one coax, one loader), the commanders .50cal, and the smoothebore 120mm.

Kahr carrier
March 19, 2003, 10:05 PM
Heck I would settle for a Humvee myself.:)

twoblink
March 19, 2003, 10:16 PM
Is that a prairie dawg I see 14 miles away?? :D

Redlg155
March 19, 2003, 10:44 PM
March down to your local recruiter and you can have one all to yourself!

Then when you are in the field sleeping, eating and farting in the thing along with your crew you would have wished your were back home. :D

They are pretty neat tanks. I got to see one have a freak accident where the ammo magazine blew in front of my position in Iraq. Thing blew straight upwards. Pretty neat to watch. The crew coming out looked like a chinese fire drill. :D

Good Shooting
RED

Erik Jensen
March 19, 2003, 10:47 PM

skunk... gas is no problem. it's powered by a turbine, and runs on damn near anything that's flammable.

(saw one melt the paint off of a mercedes back when I lived in germany.. the guy was a bit impatient and followed a *wee bit* too close.. :D :evil: )

Greg L
March 19, 2003, 10:49 PM
Do I need a Class 3 license for that??

I don't know, it would certainly fall under the AOW section at the very least. :rolleyes:

Greg :D

jhisaac1
March 19, 2003, 11:24 PM
The big question is whether or not anybody makes dies for a 120mm.

jhisaac1

gun-fucious
March 19, 2003, 11:58 PM
http://www.air-soft.com/m1a2_abrams_tank.htm

Tamara
March 20, 2003, 12:05 AM
I don't know, it would certainly fall under the AOW section at the very least.

I'm pretty sure that's a Destructive Device. :D

twoblink
March 20, 2003, 02:15 AM
If I'm in the PRK, and it hasn't passed the PRK's "drop test", would it still be legal to get one?

I'm scared to ask... how much does one cost??

sm
March 20, 2003, 03:27 AM
twoblink, I wouldn't worry about "drop test"--see they gotta pick it up first.:D

If someone were to ask "where you gonna park that thing?" Reply, "Any darn place I choose to".

scrunch, bump, dust...oops...didn't see that little fellar there... :D

twoblink
March 20, 2003, 04:09 AM
re1973,

"If you keep complaining... I'm going to park it.. on TOP of your car... or what's left of it.."

samualt
March 20, 2003, 04:54 AM
It probably wouldn't qualify as a CCW.
Although you might add a big bun and weiner to it and paint "Oscar Myer" on the side.
:D :D :D

MicroBalrog
March 20, 2003, 05:51 AM
According to my pet Jane's here, you could have it for 1.2 million bucks.

However, aren't the machinenguns covered under FOPA 1986?:fire:

synoptic
March 20, 2003, 09:48 AM
I want an M1A!!

I'm right there with ya twoblink. I used to watch them run around on post all the time...got to get in a couple during static displays, but never did get to ride in one though (what good is it for your dad to be a tank commander if he can't get you a ride?) Did get to ride in a bradley as a kid, was kinda neat even though I can barely remember it.

twoblink
March 20, 2003, 10:05 AM
If I finance it, I can make $100 payments a month... That'd only be 120000 more months before the sucker is paid off...

Steve in PA
March 20, 2003, 10:39 AM
I did get to ride in alot of M1's......in fact I drove several when I was in a Nat'l Guard unit!!!!! :D :D

They are sweeeeeeet!!!

sm
March 20, 2003, 11:11 AM
twoblink...I'm on your side.

Dad did tanks for a bit in the Guard. Wouldn't allow me to 'ride shotgun'. Instead they allowed me shoot 1911's ;)

Heards of deer would be between tanks and targets, grazing, walking, watering hole...Joke was- the deer were better at ranging distance, than some of the tanks...

I mean you gotta run in to get ammo on sale...not your fault you didn't see a soccermobile parked.

Bumper Sticker: "I CAN"

figure that will anwer most questions you'd get

bogie
March 20, 2003, 11:17 AM
I swear that if you get 'em going fast enough, and have the right kinda hill, you can jump 'em... Of course, it's sorta jarring...

Limited10Tom
March 20, 2003, 11:39 AM
You'd think if they were going to use plastic surgery to make several Sadam's, they would have made all of them look better.

PvtPyle
March 20, 2003, 11:51 AM
There are a few M1's that will be hitting the surplus market for the middle east. Word so far is that they will not have the breach or the belt feds. So there will be no restrictions on buying one. They do not fall under the NFA without those items. There are of course local restrictions about driving them on the streets, and you may violate city ordnances by packing it next to your house.

The upside is that you can register it as a DD and put the breach block back on and make the main gun functional. Getting any type of ammo will pose a bit of a problem as there is not much 105mm or 120mm running around on the market. Initial price estimates will be somewhere between $350,000 and $500,000.

There are already Brit Chieftans in the US on the market (same armor as the M1 so the whole classified thing is now pretty much a non-issue). They go cheap, about $85,000 If you want military hummers I know where there are a few running between $27,000 and $50,000 depending on what you want.

M60
March 20, 2003, 12:46 PM
Redlg155. What unit? I was 2nd batt, 1st avn, 1st armored div.

I stayed in saudi for three extra monthes and loaded two div worth of vehicles on tho ships. I've driven pretty much everything in the army inventory (and flown in). The Abrams is one sweet ride!! The bradly aint bad either, but not near the power.

Ala Dan
March 20, 2003, 01:22 PM
Well, twoblink if you get your Abrams; then I will put in
for a Cobra Gunship! If terrorist attack us here, we may
need both. I don't think we have heard the last hoorah
from terrorist organization's like Hamas, Jihad, the PLO,
Hezbaloah, and Other's! Keep your head up, and have
proper mind set!

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life member

Dannyboy
March 20, 2003, 02:13 PM
There are already Brit Chieftans in the US on the market (same armor as the M1 so the whole classified thing is now pretty much a non-issue).
I think you mean the Challenger. The Chieftain is not in the same league, armor or armament wise, as the M1A1.

Russ
March 20, 2003, 05:11 PM
Nice commuter vehicle!

Did you see the video (on Fox of course) of that nut job who hijacked an older tank (don't remember the model) from a National Guard Armory in San Diego a few years back? He ran over cars, sign posts, anything in his way. Pretty freaky what one of those can do on a city street. He didn't hurt anyone but not for lack of trying. The cops finally got him and put a couple of bullets into him when he wouldn't stop.

sm
March 20, 2003, 05:49 PM
twoblink with a M1A Abrams
Ala Dan with a Cobra Gunship

Gee whiz guys really gonna make the rest of the THR members look bad at a get together-huh?

M1911
March 20, 2003, 06:50 PM
I'm scared to ask... how much does one cost??If you have to ask, you can't afford it...

T.Stahl
March 20, 2003, 07:08 PM

Yeah, better get yourself a Leopard 2A6. Better gun, better fire-control system, better engine, half the gallons per mile.

Jeff White
March 20, 2003, 08:04 PM
I wanna see twoblink in his driveway on a Saturday morning....breaking track :D An M1A1 will give you a whole new perspective on being a shade tree mechanic.:uhoh:

Jeff

coonan357
March 20, 2003, 08:12 PM
oh yes may we recommend a 15 pound sledge hammer ??, didn't we have a discustion like this on tfl once??

Pheonix
March 20, 2003, 08:14 PM
I spent 6 years in the M1:D
It was reason enough to enlist.
Expect to pay way over about a million US for the bells an' whistles-if I remamber correctly. Keep in mind that the battle weight is 72 tons, so some roads and nearly all bridges wil crumble underneith you. The turbine engine will burn 100 gallons of whatever per hour idling. Dont let traffic form behind you as you will melt the paint off anything within about 25-30 feet from your exhaust. I have been out for about 6 years but if you have any questions feel free to ask, if you manage to buy one stop on over I want to play!:D

Echo23TC
March 20, 2003, 10:12 PM
Oh, and just to keep it going...

Mine blew a compressor down at NTC a couple of years ago. Replacement cost for a new turbine was $500,000

It was kind of fun though - I had our motor sergeant up on the back deck with me and had the driver hit the starter. Right before the point when you KNOW it's going to light, we started getting detonations in the combustion chamber. All 62 tons were shaking, and I swear it felt (and sounded) like a giant Harley. Much fun!

Griff
March 20, 2003, 11:07 PM
Used to flip the earlier version of those big guys http://www.kithobbyist.com/AFVInteriors/m1a2/abrams1.html
back over, pull them out of the mud, change powerpacks and tracks, and tow them all over the back 40 with this:
http://www.kithobbyist.com/AFVInteriors/m88/m88a.html but that was a loooooong time ago.
I got to play 105mm loader once, now have a lot of respect for them grubby little DATs.

12.7x99mm
March 21, 2003, 12:32 AM
get in line

:cool:

LoneStranger
March 21, 2003, 01:01 AM
TwoBlink,
Since you are over there in the neighborhood maybe you ought to take a run up to South Korea and check out their knockoff of the M1A.

Like all good knockoffs it does a fair job of looking like the real thing but lacks the expenses of the real thing. Plus the price will probably be quite a bit less.

Tell them that you need it as a "Dealers Sample" cause your looking at setting up a dealership in Kali.

twoblink
March 21, 2003, 02:00 AM
I promise if I get one, I'll take all THR'ers for a joyride!! I'm generous..

I just heard, that they encountered some "light resistance" Bradley vs. AK47... hehehe... The soldier just quoted "We met some resistance, but a Bradley vehicle vs. AK47.. and so you can imagine who won that conflict.."

:D

Ok.. if It's $1.2M for one of these; what about the plain Jane model? You think they will give me a discount?

And... doesn't this just throw my logistics out the window?? Ah.. who cares... I need one!

I think "bumper to bumper traffic" will no longer be a problem... :D

If you enjoyed reading about "I want an M1A Abrams!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!