On the other hand which one didn't go bang

PDA

HI express
June 27, 2005, 12:46 PM
Ready on the right wrote on another thread, which is your most trusted gun? (Which one goes bang all the time?)

I would like to know from the folks on THR, which guns that you've had that didn't go bang all the time? At least enough failures to cause you to not trust your gun 100%?

I had a CZ clone from Switzerland..jammamatic in my experience. Highly rated in the gun rags, but it was so bad that they had to take back the old one and send me a new one. Then I sold the new one. Sigh, best trigger ever when it fired.

If you enjoyed reading about "On the other hand which one didn't go bang" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
fletcher
June 27, 2005, 12:58 PM
Everything has gone bang every time in my GP100, Mak, and Mosin. My SKS, however, fails to go bang due to misfeeds about 1/3 of the time (although I believe this is because of cheap-o detachable magazines).

boofus
June 27, 2005, 01:53 PM
My stainless Colt Delta Elite 10mm would go bang, but just once. The empty shell would get left in the chamber and the new round would be smashed up against it by the slide. It'd take a good 60-120 seconds to get the thing cleared. I got tired of messing with it even with a new Wilson extractor installed and just sold it.

It sure was a pretty gun though.

MudPuppy
June 27, 2005, 02:33 PM
My service M-16 (bad extractor--more than once).
A SW645 that defies description--came with two mags, but never went through both without a problem of some sort. Stove pipe, fail to extract, eject, failed to lock forward. Bad, bad, bad.

KriegHund
June 27, 2005, 02:38 PM
My mauser had a few failures to fire when i first tryed it due to cosmo in the firing pin, but it started workign after a few rounds went off when they were supposed to.

Other than that my mini 14 has had 2 failure to feeds when the round got the nose stuck *Hollow points* outside the barrel after *trying* to feed.

frenchwrench
June 27, 2005, 02:41 PM
Had a S&W 3013 that would FTF about once every second mag. Changed mags, still did it,sold it.

Too Many Choices!?
June 27, 2005, 03:05 PM
Need I say more:barf:

Tim L
June 27, 2005, 03:11 PM
Glock 17, it went bang, bang, CLICK! mag issue, probably needs to be cleaned or new springs.

Dr.Rob
June 27, 2005, 03:13 PM
Custom Seecamp DA Triggered 1911 .45... just too hinky to trust.

Luger. 'Nuff said.

Rob

Werewolf
June 27, 2005, 03:27 PM
Bushmaster XM15E2S - failed right out of the box bad extracor. In addition it had an over torqued barrel which resulted in the rear sight having to be adusted almost full right to get on paper at 100 yds. Traded it within 3 months of getting it.

Taurus Raging Bull in .44Mag. Failed after 200 rounds. Don't know what's it is called but the spring loaded center pin in the star on the back of the cylinder deformed some part inside the cylinder so that it would stick in the depressed position. Consequently the cylinder would not lock into place and the revolver couldn't be fired at all - couldn't even cock it. Got it repaired but still have other problems with that revolver to this day. The raging bull is supposed to be very strongly built - my gun smith would dispute that. I won't be buying anything Taurus any time soon.

Khaotic
June 27, 2005, 03:29 PM
Service M-16, of course.
Service M203 (Early issues) had some oddball issues with the firing pin causing fire-on-load (pin hung extended) or no-fire due to stuck and/or bent pin.

1851 Colt Confederate Navy Replica, a fairly decent italian one, had problems - never figured out whether it was the nipples on the back of the cylinder clogging, or whether the percussion caps were the problem.

And one friend of mine's south american 9mm walther knockoff would repeatedly somehow catch the brass in the slide, and we never quite figured out why.

-K

english kanigit
June 27, 2005, 04:36 PM
Just my norinco sks, for some reason the trigger only works about half the time.
Squeeze as hard as you like, squeeze till it hurts and it might go off. :scrutiny:Squeeze, hard as you please (nothing) begin releasing the trigger and it might go off. Hmmm, perhaps it'll go off on the second pull... :confused:

thebigc
June 27, 2005, 05:13 PM
a 1911 i got a gun show it was built from a parts kit on a essex arms frame the most rounds it ever fired without failure was 3 mags from wilson combat mags i just was looking at it today and found out some fun new thing about it the chamber has tons of pitting i never noticed before i plan on doing a total parts replacement in the near future...

Harry Paget Flashman
June 27, 2005, 07:02 PM
Model 36 S&W.

ajkurp
June 27, 2005, 09:41 PM
...fail to feed...fail to fire...fail to eject...
Superbly accurate rifle. Function sucked. The only thing it wouldn't do is FAIL TO FAIL. Sold it to a cop. Heh Heh.

RevDisk
June 28, 2005, 01:36 AM
Service issue M16A2. Except for my current issue, most my M16A2's have sucked to various levels. Some only mildly sucked. Others REALLY sucked.

My current M16A2 was a conspiracy between an armorer and myself. We did a bunch of very unauthorized stuff to it. Very accurate, very reliable. At 25m, single ragged holes.

Jeff
June 28, 2005, 01:58 AM
I guess they have all been .22s.

Jennings .22 pistol
RamLine .22 pistol
Marlin .22 semi rifle (bought used)

cracked butt
June 28, 2005, 07:10 AM
Remington 597 jam-o-matic, worst turd I ever bought.

1911 guy
June 28, 2005, 09:56 AM
Remington 522 wouldn't eat HP .22's. Hung up on feed.

As a kid I had a .35 Rem pump that would jam if you didn't slam the forearm foreward.

Llama .45 acp massive FTE when the extractor FELL OFF. (This is why real pistols have real extractors)

M9, barrel cracked under the chamber. Twice.

osteodoc08
June 28, 2005, 10:08 AM
I've got 2.
1. My Ruger 10/22. FTE half the time until I got a new extractor.
2. Remmy 522. Had too many problems. FTF, FTE, etc 12# trigger and on the 100th or so shot, the extractor just went flying. I was about 12 at the time so in the closet it went. I pulled it out of the closet last year and called Remington. They stopped making that gun after 5-6 years of production (93-98) and no longer carry extractors for it.

raghorn
June 28, 2005, 10:39 AM
1. Colt Series 80 Officer's ACP (used): It could rarely get through a single 6-round magazine without some sort of malfunction, most often a failure to feed. I really liked this gun but just didn't have the patience to keep it constantly tuned.

2. Taurus Model 85 (new): After I put less than 20 rounds through it the cylinder began to lock up after each shot. I had to swing it out each time to get it to index. The problem turned out to a burr inside the lockwork. After I had it repaired my confidence in it was nil, so I sold it.

Red Tornado
June 28, 2005, 11:29 AM
Model 36 S&W.

Harry,
How does your model 36 not work? :scrutiny: That's one of the last things I expected to see in this thread.

I've been lucky, and all of my guns work reliably. An occasional FTF on the 22/45 but not often, and it's probably mag related.

CAS700850
June 28, 2005, 12:04 PM
When I first got moved to the Felony Crimes division fo teh office, the head of unit offered me one of the office guns for CCW and desk use. It was a Hi Point 9mm. Couldn't even get it to chamber a round reliably, much less empty a mag without problems. I went with my own, thank you.

(Boss is now offering me a Glock 21. :D )

db_tanker
June 28, 2005, 12:45 PM
Mini-14.

Back in the days of Pre-ban this and Post-ban that....it was a 141xxx preban mini with butler creek folder and would digest 10 rounds of ANYTHING and then start stove-piping...I figured that it was due to heating up the reciever, because this would happen with ANY magazine...I even had some VERY nice 20 round factory mags...two of them...black gold, they were...but this old rifle just left a bad bad taste in my mouth for ruger SLR's..

Oh..and just in case someone might think it was the stock, I also checked it out with the original wood stock and it was the same story...

Old NFO
June 28, 2005, 01:48 PM
Colt AR-15A2 HBAR POS

Hey ajkurp, I want my money back... :D

I think I must have gotten it third hand after the cop dumped it... :cuss:
Seriously, almost the identical problems with mine. I sold it in pieces so they could never congregate together again and cause that many problems. :evil:

The other one was a 73 Winchester .44-40, the cotton pickin dust cover kept hanging up

Dave R
June 28, 2005, 01:58 PM
My 25+ year old Marlin Model 60 frequently has FTE's and FTF's. I have been told it needs some springs replaced, but I never can remember when that thread is...

Malamute
June 28, 2005, 03:59 PM
Auto pistols.

I've had mostly 1911's,(6 Colts, a Detonics, a Springfield, and an Auto Ordnance parts gun) and several Smith autos. Never had one that worked as reliably as the Smith 29's and 19's Ive had. A couple of the Smith revolvers I've had for 24 and 30 some years, with never ever a failure to fire. Compared to that, an auto that fails maybe once every thousand or two thousand rounds doesnt seem worthwhile to trust to me.

Also never had or shot an auto that I could reliably hit running rabbits or squirrels, or things thrown in the air. Can't seem to shoot autos as accurately either (group size on paper).

Never had a failure with a Winchester 94 either(other than a broken firing pin from lots of dry fire when I was about 14). Had one problem with a Winchester 1886 that was about 100 years old. Bending the cartridge stop with a screwdriver fixed it. Had bolt guns fail to functon in several ways. Mauser and 1903 Springfields.

Had a couple of Ruger SA transfer bars break, but other than that, and a Super Blackhawk that had a weak base pin catch spring, never had a malfunction when shooting. Smith revolvers have been more reliable overall for me.

Vitamin G
June 28, 2005, 04:35 PM
In my traditionally styled backwards life...

My Glock 26 would jam about once every 100 rounds...
And my Kimber TLE II has been flawless since I bought it... USED!

LiquidTension
June 28, 2005, 06:03 PM
Neither of my Marlin 60s will go more than 50rds without jamming.

My Springfield Loaded has had problems since I bought it, mostly with rounds not chambering all the way. I have to push on the back of the slide for it to go forward and lock up. It's got around 500rds through it, and it's much better than it used to be. I guess it just needed to break in a bit, it was very tight when I got it.

My MkII will FTE about twice every hundred rounds. Shell gets stuck between the guide rod and the top of the receiver.

My Kimber has been 100% since I replaced the slide stop.

My FAL FTEs every now and then, but only with questionable surplus ammo. Have to bang the bolt handle on something to get it open.

If you enjoyed reading about "On the other hand which one didn't go bang" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!