Penn and Teller BS: Gun Control tonight!

PDA

nickthecanuck
June 27, 2005, 03:56 PM
Heads up,

They have a preview on their website:
http://www.sho.com/site/ptbs/

Looks like it is gonna be a good one! 10pm ET/PT on Showtime tonight.

If you enjoyed reading about "Penn and Teller BS: Gun Control tonight!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dasmi
June 27, 2005, 04:01 PM
Anyone watch the preview video? That lady carries a pistol in her bra!

KriegHund
June 27, 2005, 04:02 PM
Interesting indeed! And on showtime, no less....

Dont get that channel though.

dasmi
June 27, 2005, 04:04 PM
Dont get that channel though.
You're better off.
I wish I could kill everything on my TV except the History channel, Comedy Central, and Speed Channel.

KriegHund
June 27, 2005, 04:08 PM
Dasmi, what about scifi? Replace speed channel with scifi and the military channel and your good to go...

back to the topic, all i saw was pro gun arguments in that preview. I thought they were supposed to analyze both sides?

dk-corriveau
June 27, 2005, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the reminder. I almost forgot! :what:

GlenJ
June 27, 2005, 06:16 PM
Only reason I have cable is for sports and it's a shame you have to do that. Remember when you could watch every game played by your home team without cable? Or when things like the World Series came on at a decent time??

GRB
June 27, 2005, 06:19 PM
back to the topic, all i saw was pro gun arguments in that preview. I thought they were supposed to analyze both sides?They probably do analyze both sides and come up with ne side that makes sense.

MrTuffPaws
June 27, 2005, 06:26 PM
back to the topic, all i saw was pro gun arguments in that preview. I thought they were supposed to analyze both sides?

Nah, they are pretty one sided on an issue. Even when they show someone building an argument, they rip them a new one. Thankfully, they do use facts (most of the time) and the things they do their shows on are pretty easy to rip apart anyway.

Crosshair
June 27, 2005, 07:03 PM
*Gets tools, climbs utility poll in alley, hotwires cable* :evil:

/I wish. :neener:

ExtremeDooty
June 27, 2005, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the reminder. I never know which side of an issue they'll come down on, but it's usually fun to watch anyway. They do tend to pay attention to facts, so there's a chance they'll be against gun control.

Justin
June 27, 2005, 09:14 PM
So far as I can tell, they always seem to come down on the side of liberty. Though while they're not going to try to pass legislation to keep people from doing silly things, they're more than happy to skewer them on a giant pike carved from the finest sarcasm.

Cesiumsponge
June 27, 2005, 09:19 PM
Very enjoyable series; I have the first season laying around here somewhere.

Hawk
June 27, 2005, 10:34 PM
Review:

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Looks like I'll have to buy the DVD.

nickthecanuck
June 27, 2005, 10:37 PM
Once again Penn and Teller delivered!

Outstanding show.
Listening to the Texas state rep (can't remember her name) talk about her parents being murdered while her gun was in the car was very effective and moving.

bogie
June 27, 2005, 10:38 PM
I love Bull????.

They pretty much DID analyze both sides.

And they did rip one particular side a new orifice.

Guess which one? They gonna be gettin' some mail over this one...

Betcha Penn's a shooter - Wavin' that pink plastic thing around, the finger was alongside the trigger guard..

Old NFO
June 27, 2005, 10:55 PM
Listening to the Texas state rep (can't remember her name) talk about her parents being murdered while her gun was in the car was very effective and moving.

The Ladies name is Suzanne Hupp, she's a Ref from Lampasas, TX. She was a competitive shooter when she was younger. And yes, if she had carried her pistol into Luby's in Killeen, the perp would have gone down in about 10 seconds.

And yes, the show was excellent- It did cover both sides, but came down squarely on the side of the 2nd Amaendment.

And yes, Penn and Teller both can shoot- They used to do the bullet trick in Vegas with a .357 Colt Python (I believe).

Standing Wolf
June 27, 2005, 11:02 PM
The Ladies name is Suzanne Hupp, she's a Ref from Lampasas, TX.

It's time for Texas to send the lady to the U.S. Senate. That state has monopolized her long enough.

thebigc
June 27, 2005, 11:08 PM
yeah i rember seeing it on some magician show on hbo or something where they did a couple of tricks involveing a revolver.

Hawk
June 27, 2005, 11:19 PM
It's time for Texas to send the lady to the U.S. Senate. That state has monopolized her long enough.
Friend Standing Wolf speaks true: nothing I'd rather see than Susanna put the smackdown on a couple (D) senators I could name.

However, since we're not allowed to have 3 senators, I'm not clear on which of the two 'A' rated current senators we'd replace.
From CoxNews (http://www.pulsejournal.com/school/content/shared/news/nation/stories/05/20_DC_GUNS.html) :
Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, R-Texas, said Washington's gun ban violates the Constitution and renders residents "utterly defenseless" in a violent city — a situation she would end despite being hundreds of miles removed from home-state concerns.

"It's just simply illogical to say that only the people who would ignore those laws can have access to guns while law-abiding citizens cannot," said Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas and a co-sponsor of legislation to decriminalize handguns that Hutchison filed Thursday. If successful, both expect to keep firearms in their Washington homes — Hutchison the .357 Magnum that once resided at her bedside, Cornyn the bird-hunting shotguns he keeps with his Virginia brother-in-law.

American by birth, Texan by grace of God (and U-haul) :D

Drizzt
June 27, 2005, 11:46 PM
Hawk, I'd take Cornyn over Hutchinson in a heartbeat.

MrTuffPaws
June 27, 2005, 11:58 PM
I just watched it. I thought it was pretty weak. While they did spend some time on the concept of self defense, the armed society being safer, and guns providing more good than bad, they went off on the whole libertarian "Defense against tyranny, constitutional right thing" which in all honesty one of the weakest arguments you can use against an anti-gunner. Simply put, the anti-gunners donít care what the constitution says.

All in all, I feel that the show would not be persuasive to anyone, what ever side you took.

Cesiumsponge
June 28, 2005, 01:14 AM
Being their shows are limited to 30 minutes and their being entertainers that need to captivate their audience, they can only present so much information without making the viewing crowd drop interest. And of course they'll have to add a bit of their own political gravy to it, and I have no problems with Libertarians getting some air time :D

Simply put, the anti-gunners donít care what the constitution says.
Anti-gunners generally don't care what Republicans, Libertarians, gun owners, or victims caused by lack of guns say or think either.

I don't think I've ever managed to convince anyone to change their mind on a major political topic by speaking for 30 minutes straight and keep it entertaining in the process. It would easily take 30 minutes of a drier "History Channel" type presentation to describe the assault weapons ban alone. A complete presentation on why gun-control is a bad idea would take many, many hours.

Rovi
June 28, 2005, 06:04 AM
<minor thread hi-jack>

They have a preview on their website:
http://www.sho.com/site/ptbs/
When I try accessing the Showtime website link above, I get the following message-
Sorry

We at Showtime Online express our apologies; however, these pages are intended for access only from within the United States.
So, what's on the Showtime site that's some sort of national secret, and must therefore not be accessed by dirty furriners???
Inquiring minds want to know!

I guess they wouldn't like the way I get to watch Penn & Teller's Bull$#1? either :D :D :D

bogie
June 28, 2005, 07:38 AM
You cannot convince anti-gun folks.

Don't even try.

You CAN convince fencesitters.

Either way.

So when you come across like an illiterate homophobic racist religious fanatic redneck, you create a new anti-gunner.

bogie
June 28, 2005, 07:42 AM
Oh yeah...

Folks will be talking about the show today... Let's be careful out there, and _reinforce_ what those fellows said.

EVERY show like that which airs is a great help. They use logic, and humor, and it works.

ExtremeDooty
June 28, 2005, 07:54 AM
We have very few friends in Hollywood willing to speak out on our behalf. Unfortunately, Hollywood has the power to change minds in this country, so we should be thankful for every ally we have out there.

So, what's on the Showtime site that's some sort of national secret, and must therefore not be accessed by dirty furriners???

I've been there, and trust me, you're not missing anything important. ;)

bogie
June 28, 2005, 08:16 AM
Oh, and they've got a message board too... And some folks are just reeling...

Play nice, now... Responsible, okay?

Rovi
June 28, 2005, 08:42 AM
I've been there, and trust me, you're not missing anything important.That's kinda what I guessed, but then-
Oh, and they've got a message board too... And some folks are just reeling...I'd particularly like to have a read of this stuff.

Ah well, unless someone can tell me how to get around their 'no foreigners' policy, I guess I'll have to do without :rolleyes:

Perhaps some kind person might re-post the juicier bits here???

Harry Tuttle
June 28, 2005, 09:31 AM
heres the torrent:

http://www.torrentspy.com/download.asp?id=336715

heres a DL:
http://files.filefront.com/PT_guns;3911727;/fileinfo.html

Kharn
June 28, 2005, 09:40 AM
Is it going to be on Comcast's In-Demand feature?

Kharn

BostonGeorge
June 28, 2005, 10:00 AM
Is it going to be on Comcast's In-Demand feature?

It usually is within a day or two, and IIRC it's on tonight at 9:00 or 10:00.

wasrjoe
June 28, 2005, 03:28 PM
IMO they did just about as well as they could have constrained to 30 minutes. I enjoyed it.

Harry Tuttle
June 28, 2005, 04:25 PM
http://premium1.uploadit.org/docZox//Pennteller.jpg

Harry Tuttle
June 28, 2005, 04:42 PM
http://premium1.uploadit.org/docZox//pTend.jpg

Harry Tuttle
June 28, 2005, 06:30 PM
MP3s of the show:
http://premium1.uploadit.org/docZox//P-T_01.mp3
http://premium1.uploadit.org/docZox//P-T_02.mp3
http://premium1.uploadit.org/docZox//P-T_03.mp3

MoeMentum
June 28, 2005, 08:08 PM
It was great, I wish I taped it.

MechAg94
June 28, 2005, 09:18 PM
This is on right now.

blue86buick
June 29, 2005, 03:32 AM
For those of you who haven't seen it, don't have Showtime, live overseas, or just would like a handy AVI of the show on your computer, check out the links Harry posted. I don't currently subscribe, but grabbed a copy from mininova.org and thoroughly enjoyed it. As said by others, they made some good points, and ripped the 'other' side a new one. :D I've been a fan of P&T in the past, and this makes me an even bigger one.

edit: for those of you non-geeks who don't know what a bittorrent is, or how to use it, information can be found at http://www.bittorrent.com/ . It's basically another way to distribute files on the internet.

Rovi
June 29, 2005, 05:25 AM
I got to watch it last night, wonderful stuff!!!

If anyone's interested, episodes can also be downloaded from alt.binaries.multimedia and alt.binaries.tv

Oh, and I finally got to see one of my guns on an American TV show!!!
It's only taken about 40 years :D

In the Baltimore gun store, we see a Walther G22-
http://tinypic.com/6hkilc.jpg

Of course, mine is in Eeeeeeevil Black, not Long Haired Tree Hugging Hippy Green like this one :D :D :D

As for a lot of the other interesting ironmongery in the background, I can only dream :(
Although, things are looking a bit more hopeful lately, time will tell.

sdchuck1
June 29, 2005, 03:50 PM
When you download this and try to play it on windows media player you will most likely get an error and only sound. If you google "xvid binaries" you will be able to install a codec that will allow you to play the video.

Cesiumsponge
June 29, 2005, 04:01 PM
If you google "xvid binaries" you will be able to install a codec that will allow you to play the video.

While you're googling codecs, download the realplayer and quicktime alternative codecs. They allow you to play real and quicktime files through windows media player. It is in my opinion that Real and Quicktime are evil and take over like spyware. The new WMP is evil too. I use the original WMP v6.4 that came with W2K with updated codecs. Uses less resources, doesn't have 30 different blinking tabs and buttons either.

Hopefully those here unfamiliar with P&T will start catching their other shows. They're highly entertaining :D

sdchuck1
June 29, 2005, 09:25 PM
If anyone is having a hard time downloading it please shoot me an email and I will be happy to work out sending you a cd in the mail. It was a great show with plenty of high points.

Harry Tuttle
June 29, 2005, 10:02 PM
the DiVX codec works to decode the video on macs

TheOtherOne
June 29, 2005, 10:46 PM
That P&T episode was great! I can't wait for the Season 3 to get finished so the DVD will come out.

The new WMP is evil too. I use the original WMP v6.4 that came with W2K with updated codecs. Uses less resources, doesn't have 30 different blinking tabs and buttons either.I know exactly what you mean. I actually installed WMP 9 once and immediately removed it and went searching for something better. This is what I found: Media Player Classic (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=82303&package_id=84358). Simplicity at it's best and with the right codec pack it'll play anything and everything!

Crosshair
June 30, 2005, 02:37 AM
Sweet, that lady has a 9mm Hi-Point Carbine in the vault. :D Looks better than mine though. :rolleyes: I am going to try and recompress it for people who arn't as computer literate for BitTorrent or have a crappy computer. (Been there done that) I will post a link as soon as I get it to a small enough size. Quality will suffer, though it is better than nothing. 233 MB is a big download for some people.

/I vote we shove that smug a :cuss: hole to Zimbabwe for a month or so. See what he has to say when he gets back.

Crosshair
June 30, 2005, 03:36 PM
I recompressed the video. Quality is OK, It's not as nice as the original obviously since I tried to get it under 50MB. Download it if you can't get it elsewhere.

Edit:

P&T - BullS*it (http://gra.midco.net/video2/P%26T-GunControl.avi) Link actualy works now. :)

Link Fixed, sorry. I posted this while the video was still uploading and didn't get a chance to actualy test it before I left for work. :o My ISP gives me five 50MB accounts, but no limit on upload. :D

Scottmkiv
June 30, 2005, 04:03 PM
I thought this was one of their weaker episodes. I thought the whole reenactor thing was terribly cheesy, it would have been ok if they were using actual quotes.

I also thought the segment with Maeble (sp?) was cheesy.

Andrew Rothman
June 30, 2005, 04:04 PM
Hey, Crosshair, rename that file. The four-letter-word is getting replaced with ???? by the Art's Grammaw filter, so the download ain't working.

[He fixed it]

AZRickD
July 2, 2005, 02:49 PM
A friend e-mailed from Las Vegas today. He attended the live Penn & Teller show. His report:
Live, here in Vegas. They did a bit on the Bill of Rights and the flag that will bring a tear to your eye. They coupled comedy with sad truth when they produced a copy of the Chinese bill of rights...a clear sheet of plastic... "Nothing makes you appreciate being an American more than an overseas trip." They did a short bit with guns, and touted the second amendment along with the first. I could see liberals squirming.

They were also gracious hosts afterward and happy to do the chat/photo/autograph thing.

Jason M.
July 2, 2005, 04:08 PM
I am going to make it a point to see them live ASAP.

MountainPeak
July 2, 2005, 06:22 PM
I like both of these guys, and I thought overall it was pro-gun!

ctdonath
July 2, 2005, 06:32 PM
Jason-
Get ready to volunteer! I got on stage to verify their bullet trick. (http://www.donath.org/Rants/PennTellerBulletTrick/) Kinda wierd telling 5,000 people I'm a gun nut.
Penn: "How do you know about guns?"
Me: "Trained at Gunsite and Lethal Force Institute!"
Penn: "Excellent!"

Only time I've ever publicly heard Cooper's Four Gun Safety Rules was at the Penn & Teller show.

ctdonath
July 2, 2005, 06:37 PM
Watched it. Good for what it is and who made it. Keeps it simple, straightforward, and fitting for their audience. Obviously not made by hardcore THR types; only so much can be crammed into a half hour of low-intellectual-bandwidth media.

If you enjoyed reading about "Penn and Teller BS: Gun Control tonight!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!