Minimum Caliber For Martians?

PDA

Husker1911
June 27, 2005, 11:12 PM
I've only seen the TV trailers, but War of the Worlds looks pretty good. I'm not yet sold Cruise should be the lead actor, but I'll withhold judgement until I see the show.

What do you think is the minimum caliber to effectively eliminate a Martian? Since we know little about them or their constitution, I suggest plenty of power, even overkill. I'm opting for 7.62 Nato, the good 'ole .308 Winchester. My DS Arms SA58 is ready to defend Earth's honor...................

If you enjoyed reading about "Minimum Caliber For Martians?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Preacherman
June 27, 2005, 11:21 PM
Whatever Wal-Mart sells for Wal-Martian hunting, of course...

:neener:

Husker1911
June 27, 2005, 11:29 PM
Ye-Gods, you might want to patent that phrase.......................

FunGunner
June 27, 2005, 11:29 PM
Scoped NEF Synth .270 WIN with 130gr Poly tips loaded hot, dialed out to 600 yds and make one heck of a mess on fleshy critters.

Just get them one at a time.

Solo
June 27, 2005, 11:30 PM
Nuke them from orbit.

chenzzo
June 27, 2005, 11:51 PM
...it's the only way to be sure

bogie
June 27, 2005, 11:51 PM
Sneeze.

Farnham
June 27, 2005, 11:53 PM
It's the only way to be sure. ;)

.308, .30-06, 7.62x54R, or 8mm at a minimum.

S/F

Farnham

PS: Good hunting...ACK ACK!!

Justin
June 27, 2005, 11:55 PM
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/secrets/case_killerflu/images/p_flu-virus-penetrating.jpg

Very, very tiny.

eab
June 28, 2005, 12:04 AM
.308 would be a good median supose. After watching signs I final had one reason to get a FAL or M14....

gazpacho
June 28, 2005, 12:12 AM
If I remember correctly, a good cough could take them out. How about a spitwad shooter, or a super-soaker?

coonan357
June 28, 2005, 12:25 AM
lick your bullets just to make sure !!!! remember 2 to the ... nevermind :rolleyes: and don't forget to wear your ppe ( raincoat ) its gonna get messy !!! :what: :eek:

Hardtarget
June 28, 2005, 12:27 AM
Martians?...aren't they little thin-skinned, slimy, green things? I think .22 short would make them pop like a lime! :D (I chose the green smily on purpose)
Mark.

Jeff
June 28, 2005, 12:31 AM
Hardtarget is thinking along the same lines as me. I think a nice bolt action .17 HMR (Rem 700) with Swarovski glass would be fun.

Daemon688
June 28, 2005, 02:02 AM
If they're anything like us, well .223 should be just fine.

For the movie Signs, why come to a planet where a slight rain will kill you?

yorec
June 28, 2005, 07:40 AM
12 ga for Martians, Zombies, or were things. All ya gotta do is add a few silver pellets and sneeze in your reloads, aim for the head, and BOOM! A universal fix. :neener:

CajunBass
June 28, 2005, 07:51 AM
I think one of these would be about right.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/ac-130-15.jpg

1st rule of gunfighting. Bring a GUN!

robert garner
June 28, 2005, 09:18 AM
Phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range.
I want one just for general purposes anyway!and/or
a good Slim Whitman tape?

Khaotic
June 28, 2005, 10:50 AM
I'll be over THERE --> :neener:

Hiding behind Revdisk and that belt-fed 40mm GL he likes so much.
Martians ? hell, one of those will kill ANYTHING!

-K

Texian Pistolero
June 28, 2005, 11:05 AM
Barrett's '50, or surplus Combloc quad 30mm AAA gun.

Texian Pistolero
June 28, 2005, 11:06 AM
Does Tom Cruise ever say,

"and them's good eatin'"?

GEM
June 28, 2005, 11:28 AM
In the promos, I saw F-22s, Apaches and M-1 tanks.

But I think we should use "Cruise" missiles. :eek:

I read that these aren't Martians anyway because we've seen there is nothing there. However, they could be hiding and annoyed that GWB wants to send people to Mars and don't like those little robots crawling around the backyard.

erik the bold
June 28, 2005, 12:07 PM
Ack - Ack-Ack!

:neener:

Pilgrim
June 28, 2005, 12:30 PM
A recording of Slim Whitman's "Indian Love Call" should do it.

Pilgrim

db_tanker
June 28, 2005, 12:35 PM
Erik, you stole my thunder...lol :(

<ack ack ack!> translation <Wait, we come in peace> :cool:

Justin
June 28, 2005, 12:38 PM
Ack - Ack-Ack!

He's making the international sign of the donut!

Marko Kloos
June 28, 2005, 12:38 PM
Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator, of course.

taliv
June 28, 2005, 12:57 PM
i wonder, on mars, shooting martians, if the lower atmospheric pressure would allow you to shoot much larger and less airodynamic bullets and still get the similar ballistics. e.g. 45acp carbines might retain their velocity and be effective out to 300 yrds

erik the bold
June 28, 2005, 02:40 PM
Ack - Ack-Ack
Erik, you stole my thunder...lol

I was trying to find a picture of the splattered goo in the helmet bowl to go with the croonin'........... :D

My five year old loves that movie :what:

Dr.Rob
June 28, 2005, 08:39 PM
No problem.. these martians have had a long trek in space right? Notice how all space terms are nautical terms?

Astronauts are sort of high tech sailors.

Therefore, expect Martians to act like sailors. Rowdy technologially advanced sailors. A night in the nearest cathouse should get Earth's biological defenses working hard... all we need after that is the Shore Patrol and a firehose.

I think all i saw in the trailer was a shotgun.

richyoung
June 29, 2005, 12:38 PM
What do you think is the minimum caliber to effectively eliminate a Martian?

50 calibur....as n "Sixteen inch/fifty calibur naval gun, Mark VII" - as seen onthe deck of the Iowa-class BBs.

Nathaniel Firethorn
June 29, 2005, 01:10 PM
What do you think is the minimum caliber to effectively eliminate a Martian?.000000020. Assuming you're shooting a typical 50-nanometer virus. :D

- pd

Matthew748
June 29, 2005, 01:32 PM
Hmmm, I had not thought about martian attacks. I think this is the perfect excuse to get something by either Winchester or Ruger chambered in .375 H&H. You never know when something like that is going to come in handy.

HankB
June 29, 2005, 01:39 PM
i wonder, on mars, shooting martians, if the lower atmospheric pressure would allow you to shoot much larger and less airodynamic bullets and still get the similar ballistics. Well, according to the writings of Edgar Rice Burroughs, the green martians (you know, the big guys with four arms) carried rifles with a 200 mile range, thanks to Mars' thin atmosphere . . . ;)

I wonder in the Cruise movie if the Martians have force fields to make them invulnerable like in George Pal's movie back in the 50's . . . :confused:

Kalashnikov
June 29, 2005, 02:00 PM
Caliber? I'd go with a 4 Gauge :evil:
Or maybe one of the 18in guns the Yamamoto(sp) battle ships had. The shell only weighted 3,240lbs :D

Silent-Snail
June 29, 2005, 02:42 PM
Death Star super laser :evil:.

odysseus
June 29, 2005, 03:42 PM
GBU-31 on the head(s)...

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=25958

Skunkabilly
June 29, 2005, 03:52 PM
A Walter P38 Explosive Space Modulator.

41mag
June 29, 2005, 05:05 PM
Noisey cricket for me please.I'm recoil sensitive. :evil:

squirrel_hunter
June 29, 2005, 05:26 PM
My 18 year old son came up with the perfect answer: any hollow pointed bullet packed with a bugger should work.... only from the mouths of children....

Boats
June 29, 2005, 07:09 PM
Ya send Sarah Brady out to explain to the Martians that their wanton destruction does no credit to firearms owners on an interplanetary scale.

They'll either run in fright at her visage and we can go back to ignoring her or they'll take her out. Win-win.

Berek
June 30, 2005, 03:52 AM
.000000020. Assuming you're shooting a typical 50-nanometer virus.

Hey, PD: Is that available in WMR or only Short action? :D

Berek

Strings
June 30, 2005, 04:17 AM
Ummm... guys? Assuming they keep War of the Worlds the same (disease kills 'em), wouldn't tranq guns, darts loaded up with flu virus, fairly well do the trick?

1911 guy
June 30, 2005, 11:09 AM
A phase modulated plasma gun.

Frandy
June 30, 2005, 11:23 AM
Yup, saw it last night and those microbes win it all for us. So, my recommendation is save the ammo and just have a good book, some candles, and a deep basement. Wait it out. heh heh heh

Oh, and there are two handguns in the film, one revolver and one automatic.

jason10mm
June 30, 2005, 12:16 PM
Well, the actualy aliens themselves appear to be unarmored (unclothed even) with big heads, small bodies, and LOTS of mobility. They can crawl on the walls and probably the ceiling. Hard to say how tough their bone structure it, if that head is mostly bone, you will need serious penetration fopr a clean head shot. The body is plasticy, I'd say Glasers or any frangible round would smash them there.

So, you'd need a mix of ammo with a high rate of fire as they will be dancing around quite a bit. TAP in 5.56 out of a SAW or M4 should do well, with .308 for head shots. They seem to be pretty deaf with poor peripheral vision, so a good machete will give you the edge in H2H CQB.

The tripods are another story. Their shields are impervious to 120mm sabot (presumably, maybe just HEAT), Javelins, and light ATG missiles. Fire seems to have no effect either. No idea if a serious bomb (5000# bunker buster) or 16" shells will take them out, I suspect that as long as Newton's Laws apply, the kinetic energy should at least knock them over with serious trauma to the creatures inside. I suspect that leading them into covered pits or landslides would have similar results. The initial EMP pulse would be the worst part, disrupting equipment and communications.

But they are VERY suseptible to sabotage, and the suicide bombers from the ME should have no problems taking out substantial numbers of them.

GEM
June 30, 2005, 01:08 PM
The laws of physics don't apply when fighting Aliens, Jason.

Watching Independence Day, I was wondering why the atomic bomb attack never even moved the Alien Saucer. Also, their shield were permeable to visible light as you could see the saucer. The light pulse alone at a couple of feet from the saucer surface should have fried the ship. They were not invulnerable as has the shield went down they got hit by missiles with real damage.

It has to be the case that we and our armed forces are always helpless at first against the aliens, even if the physics makes no sense.

In the book, the Martians were vulnerable to our weapons, they just were more powerful.

Jim Diver
June 30, 2005, 01:31 PM
Just thought I would throw in a few cents and help with a quick review of this movie.

Bad bad bad.... You have seen the aliens before in ID4. They are almost identical.

Poor direction and bad writing really send this one up on the *Stink-O-Meter®".

Dakota was wonderful. Nothing more to be said there.

Tom delivers a poor performance. He relies too much on the trademarked Cruise smile and not enough on acting skills. His character makes you want to reach out and smack him. He should spend less time playing with Dianetics, clay and e-meters and spend more time attending acting school.

If you have a good home theater, wait till it comes out on PPV or DVD. Save your money. While sheeple will flock to see the movie, it does not deserve to be the blockbuster it tries too hard to be.

As far as the question, I would like one of the RPG nukes from Starship Troopers.

If you enjoyed reading about "Minimum Caliber For Martians?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!