S.1313 to restrict Eminent Domain

PDA

Beren
June 28, 2005, 10:38 AM
Sen. Cornyn has submitted a bill which would restrict the definition of "public use."

"In this Act, the term `public use' shall not be construed to include economic development."

While I don't like having the Federal government push around the States, at this point, I can live with it. Please ask your Senators to co-sponsor S. 1313.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c109:S.1313.IS:

If you enjoyed reading about "S.1313 to restrict Eminent Domain" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rick_reno
June 28, 2005, 10:51 AM
I'd much rather see them do their job and remove these judges that appear to be incapable of reading the Constitution, but given that's highly unlikely to happen I've sent mail to both of mine this am.

johnster999
June 28, 2005, 11:02 AM
Finally, one Senator takes notice. At least it's something. My Senator will be hearing from me asap.

LAR-15
June 28, 2005, 11:22 AM
Thank you Senator Cornyn.

He is one of the good guys.

BostonGeorge
June 28, 2005, 11:50 AM
Done.

My senators heard from me.

Daniel T
June 28, 2005, 06:25 PM
John Cornyn had never really done anything to impress me much, but this makes me take notice. Maybe he'll get my vote next time around, if he runs again.

dolanp
June 28, 2005, 06:41 PM
Take note:

(c) Application- This Act shall apply to--

(1) all exercises of eminent domain power by the Federal Government; and

(2) all exercises of eminent domain power by State and local government through the use of Federal funds.

So if the local government uses its own funds to seize the property this Act will not protect it. Unfortunately Cornyn is probably too much of a 'good guy' and understands the limitations of federal power, thus understanding that only state and local legislation will really stop this land grabbing.

Missourigunner
June 28, 2005, 08:07 PM
A Good Start. What they really need to do is intorduce a Bill to overturn the entire decision. Sent to my 2 Senators.

If you enjoyed reading about "S.1313 to restrict Eminent Domain" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!