Some Stoeger Coach questions

PDA

VictorLouis
June 28, 2005, 11:20 AM
Is the felt recoil much worse then a typical alloy-receiver riot pump like a Mossy 500 or Winnie 1300? I know weight is a factor, but the stock on the Coach leaves me wondering.

Is there any advantage to the straight, English stock version?

I shoot LH, and it seems as though the two triggers are easier to manage in that regard vs. RH use.

I know that in opening it, the hammers are cocked. Is the best method of storage with it closed, and hammers dry-fired down? Or, opened up with the action taking some stress off of the sear(s?)?

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Some Stoeger Coach questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Baby Huey
June 28, 2005, 11:55 PM
Well, I would have thought that someone with more experience would have answered first. Here is my experience, versus a steel receiver 18" 870 for recoil. The coach gun was definitely worse. Not moderately, but noticeably. Slugs were not enjoyable at all, the stock would slap the heck out of my jaw no matter how tight I held the gun, especially the tighter choked barrel(which isn't a problem in the 870). Buckshot, either #4 or 00 wasn't nearly as bad, but again worse than the 870. This is a pistol grip Stoeger with 20" barrels. I store it action closed, dry-fired, unloaded (obviously). If I wanted to store it ready, I think I would leave it loaded, action open.

I think it is an inexpensive, fun gun. I don't think it is practical for HD if you have a pump action gun you can use. Some will disagree. I like an 870 with 4 in the magazine on cruiser ready more than a coach gun. YMMV.

Hope this helps.

A Cleaner
June 29, 2005, 11:06 AM
I just bought a Stoeger Uplander. It is remarkably docile when shooting 1 oz of 7.5 shot. "Feels" like it kicks less than my two 870's. As far as how to store it, I would store it closed and consider using 12g snap caps to prevent any damage that may accrue over time from dry firing. HTH.

VictorLouis
June 29, 2005, 11:31 AM
I think you've made some valid points.

Ian
June 29, 2005, 11:56 AM
I have a 12ga, pistol-gripped stock version. I have the opposite problem as Baba Huey - pumps tend to beat on my jaw, and my coach gun is very comfortable for me. I'm also left-handed, and have no issues at all with the triggers.

Didn't ever put much thought into storage.

grimjaw
June 29, 2005, 12:23 PM
I am interested in the same questions as the original poster, but I would like to add one.

To anyone that owns the Stoeger, do you have the plain or supreme versions of the gun? From Stoeger's website, the supreme version has a thicker recoil pad and screw in chokes. Do you think it affects the felt recoil, or does it seem like just a larger piece of hard rubber that hits your shoulder instead of a smaller piece?

jmm

Ian
June 30, 2005, 02:40 PM
Mine is a plain version. The buttplate is plastic, not hard rubber.

Trisha
June 30, 2005, 03:51 PM
Ours has the external cocking levers - and yep, it kicks! We decided on the external 'hammers' because it's an instant way to verify our 'front door gun' is ready.

Our only comparison is to our FP-6, which is light, but has a decent recoil pad: the Coach gun, even with a PAST shield feels kinda abusive after 20 rounds of 00 Buck.

Jack2427
July 1, 2005, 06:11 AM
I have 2 Stoegers, both Coach Guns, and a Stevens M311 W/18" barrels. One coachgun is pistol gripped, the other is straight. Between the 3 there is no noticable difference in recoil. As to my 870, they kick a little more, but SG kick is very subjective. I like them for HD, keep one at each of 3 points with the action closed, hammers dropped on snap caps(VERY important fo the 311 "guard gun"). I keep a butt cuff W/6 rounds on each, and 2 initial rounds rubberbanded to the barrels for a fast first load.

I HAVE fired both barrels at once in each gun, and that will get your attention. I did so only to see if I could recover and load rapidly. Shooting both barrels at the same time into a BG should settle the matter forthwith

I also have a Browning SS with the barrels cut to 18.5", and an extra pistol grip. Firing that with only the pistol grip is awsome. Somewhere a Browning Collector is cursing me-don't, I bought it that way. The Browning has ejectors and is extremely fast to reload. With it I can fire 50 rounds faster than anyone with a pump or semi auto(while they are reloading I am getting out my 2 rounds a second), its fun.

VictorLouis
July 2, 2005, 02:11 AM
I guess I'm just going to have to find one to shoot and see for myself, LOL.:)

SASS#23149
July 3, 2005, 01:07 AM
or just having a crs moment,the Stoegers cock on closing.Mine falls wide open when opened , with no resistance at all.The 311's seem to hang up a bit because they are fighting the cocking lever springs.Which is the reason i dumped it and got the Stoeger,IIRC.
Mine is a plain jane field gun,but it's served me well for cas shooting these past five years or so.I shot double ought buck in it...once.It KICKED THE CRAP OUT OF ME.!!!
It's a pussy cat with trap loads though.

Silverado101
July 4, 2005, 12:13 PM
Hello out there! It has been my experience that the tool should fit the job. This goes with weapons as well. When HD is the job, a long barrel is a disadvantage in room to room sweeps. 000 will give you the hitting power you are looking for, and slugs will restrict your area of strike. Enviorment will determin your safety requirements when weapon is not under direct control. However, there was a time when a man could leave his weapons out and loaded without someone "toying" with them. There is two schools of thought here, control the tools, or limit the access. We perfer to limit the access, and keep the tools ready for use. My teens have learned from a young age to leave hazards alone, and respect weapons. Loaded weapons don't cause accidents, irresponsible people do, just as in the case of fireworks, or vehicles... I would expect more conversation on the 2nd Amendment today, (the 4th of July).

Deer Hunter
December 27, 2005, 07:36 PM
I own a stoeger coach gun, and I can say that it will kick with heavy 3" loads. For just playing around with the gun, I'll use number 6 2 3/4 and 3" loads, they don't kick that bad at all. Although, running some number 4 turkey loads through it was a different story entirely. I suggest getting a good recoil pad for the shotgun, that will help a lot.

If you enjoyed reading about "Some Stoeger Coach questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!