Firing pin question.

PDA

vega
June 28, 2005, 12:09 PM
I got this Mossy 500 pump and I noticed if the action is open the FP would protude from the breech face but when I start to close it slowly it would go back in. Is this normal?

TIA,
vega

If you enjoyed reading about "Firing pin question." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Fumbler
June 28, 2005, 01:34 PM
No, it is not normal.

If you just bought the gun then bring it back to the shop and see if they will give you a different gun. Perhaps they will ship it to mossberg for you to have it fixed. If they won't do it for you then call up mossberg and see if they will send you a new bolt assembly or have you send it to them to be fixed.

vega
June 28, 2005, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the reply, I should have made it more clearly. There is a play on the FP, like a glock striker when you remove the slide.

But I will contact Mossberg definitely.

vega

sdchuck1
June 28, 2005, 07:35 PM
The firing pin is spring loaded on the newer mossy's. If you have not fully racked the slide ie pushing the hammer back maybe you are getting some tension on the firing pin from the hammer itself. After the slide is fully racked and on its way back to the forward position you should have little to no play in that spring. If you are comfortable pull the bolt out and have alook at it and see what the pin is up to. The firing pin in the bolt in mine is very tight when out of the gun about 200 rounds through it so far.

vega
June 29, 2005, 10:14 AM
A quick call to Mossberg clears it up. The 12 ga are spring loaded but the 20 ga are not. It is normal for the FP to have "little play" as long as it's not stuck. I shot the mossy yesterday and no hiccup. I played with it a little bit to make sure that the FP is not stuck. The FP will move if the firearm is pointed downward with the action open.

Now I will have to learn how the disassemble the whole trigger system so I can clean it up.

I learned another thing today.

Thanks for the replies.

vega

If you enjoyed reading about "Firing pin question." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!