WORST firearm moment in a movie

PDA

Pages : [1] 2

The Grand Inquisitor
June 28, 2005, 03:38 PM
Ever since I was hooked up dor DirectTV 3 months ago, I've been able to watch more bad movies than I ever thought possible, and while I've seen a lot of awful gun moments in movies, none have come close to the awfulness that is the movie "Sniper".

One guy trekking around the jungle with an M40, and one with a PSG1, and another badguy trekking around with an SVD. Lots of silliness ensues, but at the moment where the good guy kills the bad with the SVD, he takes aim, and shoots him through his scope.

Well, that's a little silly, but the worst part is that when he shoots, they go to a close up of the bullet flying, and instead of it being the projectile, it's actually the ENTIRE ammunition case, bullet, casing, and all, in pristine condition.

It was just absurd and shameful, and proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that none of the producers had ever shot a weapon.

If you enjoyed reading about "WORST firearm moment in a movie" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
richyoung
June 28, 2005, 03:51 PM
at the moment where the good guy kills the bad with the SVD, he takes aim, and shoots him through his scope.

Well, that's a little silly,

Carlos Hathcock made just such a shot against a sniper in vietnam - no doubt the inspiration for the scene...

50 Freak
June 28, 2005, 03:53 PM
If your talking about "Sniper" with Tom Beringer. They based the bullet through the scope shot from Carlos Hathcock. Who by the way really did do a shot like that through a NVA sniper that was hunting him back in Vietnam.

As for the whole bullet traveling. I don't remember that part. I always thought it was just the bullet, not the bullet + case. I'll have to check my DVD tonight.

And oh yeah. Stop dissing "Sniper" that's a pretty good movie in my book. Although Billy Zane character (guy with the PSG type rifle) was a little too "pretty" to be in the jungles of S. America. :evil:

FPrice
June 28, 2005, 03:58 PM
Although Billy Zane character (guy with the PSG type rifle) was a little too "pretty" to be in the jungles of S. America.

Yeah, but remember, he was a GS-9!

Red Tornado
June 28, 2005, 03:58 PM
The problem is that EVERY movie with a sniper has somebody getting shot through the scope. If it's a movie about the great Carlos, great. If it's not, come up with something original and appropriately cheesey for Hollywood.

I'm going to have to check the flying bullet in Sniper. That's got to be the worst ever.
RT

Cesiumsponge
June 28, 2005, 04:01 PM
The Grand Inquisitor

I remember seeing a movie on TV long ago where they fired a gun and showed an entire cartridge flying in midair. That must be it!

There was another bad gun movie (same one maybe?) where the badguy had a 50 caliber rifle that had to literally be bolted down to a rooftop because we're supposed to believe the recoil was that bad. In the scene, he was shooting at an airplane on the tarmac

MAURICE
June 28, 2005, 04:17 PM
Any movie where an actor continues to 'shoot' a gun with the slide locked back. Dumb and Dumber is one that I recall.

Rupestris
June 28, 2005, 04:26 PM
Any movie where an actor continues to 'shoot' a gun with the slide locked back. Dumb and Dumber is one that I recall.

SWAT was another.

I watched Animal House yesterday. Dorfmann loads a round into an 03A3 and aims at Flounder at about ten yarsd tops. Fires and hits the seltzer water bottle in his right hand. There was a croud of people behind him and amazingly, that water bottle stopped that round dead! :D

When Flounder looks down at the broken bottle you can hear what sounds like a pump guns "schlaak - schlaak" :rolleyes: . Classic hollywood.

nomadboi
June 28, 2005, 04:40 PM
I think I remember hearing that the real life incident dramatised for "Enemy at the Gates", the battle between the Soviet and German snipers in WWII, ended with a through-the-scope shot -but that they dropped it in the film because too many other films had done that already.

sm
June 28, 2005, 04:41 PM
Way of the Gun

Scene: Jumping into the water fountain containing glass.

:uhoh:

Jeeper
June 28, 2005, 04:47 PM
I also remember that Berringer was using a hand file on the bullet in the begining to make it symetrical. I liked the movie though

Monkeyleg
June 28, 2005, 05:49 PM
Was watching "In The Line of Duty" the other night. At the very beginning, one of the characters takes his 1911 from a drawer, racks the slide, then inserts a magazine.

Now what carry condition would that be? -1? Cocked, locked and unloaded.

CajunBass
June 28, 2005, 06:16 PM
I like the way that movie guns are always unloaded. Someone will have to rack a slide, pump a shotgun, or work a lever rifle before they shoot. Doesn't matter what's going on, the gun is unloaded.

rhubarb
June 28, 2005, 06:21 PM
Shot the enemy sniper through the scope? Hell that happens all the time, don't it? It happened in Saving Private Ryan, too, didn't it? And note how the good snipers are always hillbillies.

MechAg94
June 28, 2005, 06:50 PM
I also get tired of the constant repetition. A person with a gun has been threatening to shoot for 10 minutes. Then to emphasize the point, they always rack the slide again. No round pops out. So they were threaten someone with an unloaded gun? This is repeated all the time no matter what type of gun they are using. They will cock the hammer on a 1911 or a double action. They will pump the shotgun action. It doesn't matter.

My only problem with Enemy at the Gates was that all the action seemed to happen at about 50 yards, including the final scene.

sumpnz
June 28, 2005, 07:06 PM
Of course Hathcock didn't intentionally shoot the NVA sniper through the scope. He knew the enemy sniper was out there, and he saw a glint. He quickly shouldered his rifle and fired at the glint. When he got to where the sniper was he realized he'd dead centered the scope with the bullet entering the scope's objective lens, exiting the eye piece and entering the sniper's eye and exiting the back of his head. It was mere luck that he'd fired before the NVA sniper, and even greater luck to hit him like that since the only thing he saw was the scope glint.And note how the good snipers are always hillbillies Well, hillbillies grow up learning to be good shots since their ability to eat depended on shooting game. Bullets were expensive, considering the relative poverty, so only needing 1 was a big deal. The best snipers come from having such a mindset, as well as Marine Corps training.

No_Brakes23
June 28, 2005, 07:18 PM
Well, hillbillies grow up learning to be good shots since their ability to eat depended on shooting game. That was the background that Zaitsev and Hathcock came from, and I believe Hayek the Finn did as well.

Clean97GTI
June 28, 2005, 07:32 PM
in The Punisher, our violent hero empties his 1911, then drops the spent mag, inserts a new one, then has to rack the slide.

I thought 1911's locked back when empty...at least the ones that are tuned properly. :neener:

Nicholas Cage's use of his Government model 1911 in Windtalkers was pretty unbelieveable. He managed to squeeze incredibly accurate follow up shots into his Japanese targets...many without even looking. Must have been one of the belt-fed models as he didn't seem to reload nearly enough to have been magazine fed. ;)

another okie
June 28, 2005, 07:38 PM
According to Anthony Beevor's Stalingrad, the sniper duel story is a made up piece of Soviet propaganda. He searched for actual evidence of the story and found none, including just looking for the names used in official records. Apparently that one has to go on the same pile with the "Hitler's grandfather was Jewish story," made up to suit the war effort.

PeteRR
June 28, 2005, 10:34 PM
In a movie that I really like, Lethal Weapon, Riggs proferring up the "hollow point" that he keeps to kill himself with. The problem being it's a FMJ round. I wince whenever I see that scene.

My favorite dialogue from Lethal Weapon 2:

Vorsted, what are you doing?

Making sure I'm not standing on plastic. :D

medmo
June 28, 2005, 11:24 PM
Rambo....... A guy shoots around 800 rounds out of an M60 and not only does the belt NOT get any shorter he never adds to it.

gunner03
June 28, 2005, 11:46 PM
what about the steven segall movie were he shoots the arrow out of the air. The bullet has no marks on it and no spin.

Plumber576
June 29, 2005, 12:09 AM
I happen to own sniper, and i checked the scene out. the case definitely was not in the shot. It is a quick flash, so i paused it and took a look.

Also, billy zane does not have an PSG-1, but he has an SR9.
http://www.hkpro.com/sr9.htm

WvaBill
June 29, 2005, 12:11 AM
Quote:
Well, hillbillies grow up learning to be good shots since their ability to eat depended on shooting game.

That was the background that Zaitsev and Hathcock came from, and I believe Hayek the Finn did as well.

Don't forget Alvin York.

On topic, in True Lies the SMG, (MAC?), falling down the steps firing well-aimed bursts on each step.

ETCss Phil McCrackin
June 29, 2005, 12:37 AM
I enjoyed the scene in the original Matrix, where Smith shoots Neo with his D. Eagle and in the top down view of the weapon in recoil, you can clearly see the crimped blanks inside the weapon! I complain about that every time I see it, which my wife HATES!

Justin
June 29, 2005, 12:58 AM
Way of the Gun

Scene: Jumping into the water fountain containing glass. That is one of the most excruciatingly excellent scenes in modern cinema. I was lucky enough to catch WotG in theaters, and man, when that happened, everyone in the theater cringed...all six of us.

peacefuljeffrey
June 29, 2005, 01:55 AM
I think it was in the movie Dropzone, when Wesley Snipes and some bad guy were shooting it out in an empty office building, and then they both ended up pointing their semi-automatic handguns at each other's faces.

Both slides were in battery.

One guy (forgot which) pulls the trigger -- on an empty chamber. The other guy then figures he has the first guy dead to rights, and pulls his trigger -- also on an empty chamber.

The gist of this absolutely stupid, inane plot device is that of, "Whoops, didn't realize I'd fired my last shot!"

But, these are semi-automatic handguns! You'd KNOW if you'd fired your last shot -- your slide would be locked back!

-Jeffrey

TonkinTwentyMil
June 29, 2005, 02:07 AM
...in "Thelma & Louise"

...When the 2 girls each took a pot-shot (with a 2" .38 Dick Special and a Colt 1911 .45 ACP)...

...and then, that nasty ol' redneck's big gasoline tanker rig BLEW UP, just like that! Huge fireball, too!

Wow! Amazing shooting. They musta been using some of that incendiary (API) evil Assault Weapon ammo, no doubt. You know, the kind that shoots through man-hole covers, bulldozer blades, and is readily purchased by any terrorist at the corner sporting goods store when he wants to go shoot down airplanes, etcetera.

But then, it WAS a Chick Flick (and we wonder why most women are so gun-dumb... and anti-gun).

shotgunner
June 29, 2005, 03:24 AM
Two movies come to mind, both with Steven Segal.
Half Past Dead
They're in the prison, and I believe it's Segal that jumps through a broken window opening. The bad guy comes into the room, firing a semi-automatic handgun. Now the funny part is that just out to the bad guy's front there was a table about waist high with all sorts of glass stuff on it.The guy's firing the gun and like 2 feet right under the gun all the glass just starts suddenly exploding and fragmenting all over. As if the bullet went out 1 foot, and did a 90 degree turn downward. LMAO this part is especially funny if you've got a decent buzz going.

The other Segal movie.
He's fighting this guy, handgun vs. crossbow. They're going back and forth, Segal is totally owning the bolts fired from the crossbow with his handgun. Segal runs out of ammo or something and then there is a Mexican Standoff. The guy fires a bolt at Segal. Segal then turns around, grabs a sword. He then turns to face the incoming bolt. He raises the sword above his head and then manages to perfectly split the bolt in half with one downward blow from this thing. How do you turn around, grab a sword, lift it way over your head, then swing the sword, all while the bolt is flying at you at probably 300 miles per hour from 20 feet away?!?!

Amazing!!

Dr.Rob
June 29, 2005, 03:27 AM
Windtalkers took a good idea (codetalkers) and made BAD movie... nobody misses, amerindian throws a knife (antler handled not balanced for throwing) when he has a RIFLE in his hand... the never empty 1911... etc etc.

Maybe the worst ever handling... Firewalker starring Lou Gosset Jr. And Chuck Norris... or the Sharon Stone/Richard Chamberlain version of King Solomon's Mines.

I could bring up the 80's horror fest of gold lame jumpsuited commandos that was MegaForce but you've had enough.

jdberger
June 29, 2005, 04:24 AM
The beginning sequence of "The Getaway" with Alec Baldwin (I know...groan).

It is showing Baldwin & Bassinger on the range target shooting in slow-mo. The Sig fires its last round and locks back and there is this funny bore-snake thing sticking out the ejection port. (Maybe that is what gives all these guns a mind of their own??)

Also, before the final shootout scene, Baldwin goes into a gun store and wants to buy an HK M3 12ga. The proprieter tells him that his cousin/relative uses one to duck hunt with but claims ignorance as to why "cause there wouldn't be anything left." (note: I too have had this problem, but only with guns painted black-they just leave HUGE craters in the landscape. can't see a single reason anyone would hunt with an AR-15. Why, that .223 would just blast that little-ole deer to bits).

Other than that, pretty decent gun handling skills...

Texian Pistolero
June 29, 2005, 08:22 AM
Two movies come to mind, both with Steven Segal.
Half Past Dead
They're in the prison, and I believe it's Segal that jumps through a broken window opening. The bad guy comes into the room, firing a semi-automatic handgun. Now the funny part is that just out to the bad guy's front there was a table about waist high with all sorts of glass stuff on it.The guy's firing the gun and like 2 feet right under the gun all the glass just starts suddenly exploding and fragmenting all over. As if the bullet went out 1 foot, and did a 90 degree turn downward. LMAO this part is especially funny if you've got a decent buzz going.

Why do you disbelieve? The Warren Commission proved that is entirely possible.

eab
June 29, 2005, 09:21 AM
worst gun handling ever. Missing in Action with Chuck Noris. Now I am pretty forgiving in gun handling stuff. Willing to suspend belive for a good movie. This movie just SUCKED though. Bullet proof kevlar assult rafts. Chuck comming up out of the water with a M60 firing from the hip and killing all the evil VC. Chuck taking on the entire VC army, etc...

xdoctor
June 29, 2005, 12:09 PM
In Pulp Fiction, Samuel L. Jackson points what is clearly a .45acp 1911 at the little english guy. He says, "...And Mr. 9mm here is the shephard protecting my rightous ass."

Daniel T
June 29, 2005, 12:20 PM
In Pulp Fiction, Samuel L. Jackson points what is clearly a .45acp 1911 at the little english guy. He says, "...And Mr. 9mm here is the shephard protecting my rightous ass."

Except that he was using a Star BM in 9mm.

Matthew748
June 29, 2005, 12:25 PM
Iíll interpret worst to include unbelievable in this instance and go with the scene in "Death Wish 3" where Charles Bronson runs around the ghetto mowing down gang bangers with a Browning 1919 machinegun. I love that scene, but it is kind of silly.

OldWolf
June 29, 2005, 12:33 PM
I watched the remake of "The Flight of the Phoenix" this week. The old one was better. But anyway, there is a scene where the pilot takes off running towards some Chinese bandits with what looks like a 1911 with a very tall front sight. I said *** is that. But when he double taps two or three separate bad guys from 100 yards I said "thatís why he needs a tall front sight"!

Malamute
June 29, 2005, 01:02 PM
The scene in "Last man standing" where Bruce Willis propels the guy out the door and through the air with a pair of 45 autos pretty well ruined my enjoyment of the movie from then on. Utterly ridicules.

Also a big movie turn off is the two handed pistol shooting, often done in slow motion, and you can clearly see both guns wagging back and forth as the actor (certainly not a shooter) pulls the triggers. They then have the gaul to show the "results" of the shooting and they shots are making good hits. Dang! I wish I could shoot two handed like that while flying through the air. I just wonder why they could shoot so good when jumping/flying and they missed so much before when they were standing stiill behind cover?

firesafety3
June 29, 2005, 01:03 PM
The endless list of movies that show gunfire producing sparks from anything hit: cement walls, gravel, dirt, flesh...

Kalashnikov
June 29, 2005, 01:18 PM
The scene is predator where the one little guy is carrying a gattling gun and firing it from the hip.

Rovi
June 29, 2005, 02:12 PM
The scene is predator where the one little guy is carrying a gattling gun and firing it from the hip.
Gotta love that one! :D

Although, Jesse Ventura doesn't exactly qualify as a 'little guy' where I come from ;)
http://predator.misto.cz/_MAIL_/predator/image/blain.jpg

world.guns.ru (http://world.guns.ru/machine/minigun-e.htm) have a piece specifically on that gun.
Scroll down to: 'Hollywood Miniguns: Predator vs. common sense.'

FPrice
June 29, 2005, 02:29 PM

That's Jesse "The Body" Ventura, and he ain't one little guy!

Ole-sailor
June 29, 2005, 02:36 PM
Can any one tell me how the really "tough Action heros" hit anything that they are shooting at?

They all enjoy a really terrible flinch they each and every time they pull the trigger!

Lethal weapon 1-4 both the heros flinch bad
Laura Croft- really bad
Lost Treasure-The lead flinches so bad you think he is going to drop the weapon.
Texas Ranger-he should keep to kick boxing
Tom Cruse is a joke with a gun as are all of them

John Wayne and Clint Eastwood: neither of them flinched, maybe they were actually good with a gun. James Garner was a professional Pistolero!

Rabid Rabbit
June 29, 2005, 02:45 PM
The title was The plan from planet X or something like that. The detective was using the barrel of his pistol to scratch his head. I need to find it on DVD and incorporate it into my safety classes.

Carl N. Brown
June 29, 2005, 02:57 PM
In Ghandhi, I could not get outraged at the stadium massacre scene,
not because I am totally insensitive, but because the British soldiers were
obviously ejecting CRIMPED BLANK CARTRIDGES from their SMLEs.

The cop scratching head with gun: Plan 9 From Outer Space!

IRONFIST
June 29, 2005, 03:02 PM
There is a night scene in 'The Patriot', with Mel Gibson, where he rears up while riding a horse and shoots into the air with a single-shot blackpowder pistol. The problem is that just a second later, he shoots yet again with the same pistol! That must be the quickest BP reload in history, and one handed too.

Michael

Kalashnikov
June 29, 2005, 03:44 PM
Jesse Ventura? I havent seen the movie in so long I thought it was little skinny guy. Oops :)

Bacchus
June 29, 2005, 04:02 PM
99% of the movies where the shooter fails to reload after about a million shots.

Cesiumsponge
June 29, 2005, 04:28 PM
Ignorance is bliss to the general moviegoer. People I watch movies with get upset with me when I point out firearm mistakes, scientific fallacies, etc. Certain movies I can suspend my disbelief and still enjoy it on a whole, like a good zombie slasher film.

Other movies...its just too much to swallow, like sci-fi movie which are more fantasy-fi than science-fi (ie The Core).

Texian Pistolero
June 29, 2005, 08:59 PM
Oh, i forgot about the crossed dual-Uzis passageway technique used by Steven Segal in "Under Siege."

Stauble
June 29, 2005, 09:09 PM
Now the Patriot is my favorite movie of all time but Ironfisht reminded me of a "gun blopper" in it.
wen Gabriel and some of the other people ride bak to thier camp and the british are thire waiting for them and they fight, Col. Tavington loads his pistol, clearly throws the ram rod away , and shoots the reverend. he then looks up sees Gabriel and starts to load the same pistol, with a ram rod. not only that he throws the ram rod away a 2nd time.

there are of course many horrible gun scenes but too jump out at me
watching harry potter with my little brother, in the beginning a half giant bends the uncle shot gun barrel. the uncle fires the gun and makes 2 holes int he roof.
Mr and Mrs smith was the most ridiulous gun movie ive ever seen
cant pik ouit any1 part, the hole thing was bad

raghorn
June 29, 2005, 09:24 PM
ALL of the scenes where Antonio Banderas is firing one pistol in each hand. :scrutiny:

Black Majik
June 29, 2005, 09:50 PM
I was watching Stephen King's Sleewalkers last nite. Man that movie sucked!

Anyways, theres one part where the mother monster takes away one of the police officer's handgun, walks out to the lawn, shoots ONE ROUND into the police car and it blows up! Shoots one more shot into another car and it blows up too!

Sheesh, I turned off the movie and went to bed.

Burt Blade
June 29, 2005, 11:10 PM
What is wrong with a gun in each hand?

Many Cowboy Action Shooting competitors do that with a pair of single-action revolvers. It is called "Gunfighter" category in the Single Action Shooting Society rule book. Those folks seem to hit the targets pretty regularly that way. I know a lady who is about 5-foot-nothing that shoots a pair of Colt Lightning replicas in .38 Special, Gunfighter style. :what:

Life imitating art? :D

GregGry
June 29, 2005, 11:50 PM
I think it was in the movie Dropzone, when Wesley Snipes and some bad guy were shooting it out in an empty office building, and then they both ended up pointing their semi-automatic handguns at each other's faces.

Both slides were in battery.

One guy (forgot which) pulls the trigger -- on an empty chamber. The other guy then figures he has the first guy dead to rights, and pulls his trigger -- also on an empty chamber.

The gist of this absolutely stupid, inane plot device is that of, "Whoops, didn't realize I'd fired my last shot!"

But, these are semi-automatic handguns! You'd KNOW if you'd fired your last shot -- your slide would be locked back!

-Jeffrey

I think that was called "the art of war" and if thats it, that scene was so stupid :what:

My personal favorite is one of the charlies angels movies. I have never seen the movie, just the previews, and in the previews, I noticed a blonde haired chick firing two chrome guns. I thought to myself (they better be .22s) and much to my surprize, they were a pair of .50 (guessing .50 because of the barrel hole size) desert eagle pistols!

bogie
June 29, 2005, 11:54 PM
My only problem with Enemy at the Gates was that all the action seemed to happen at about 50 yards, including the final scene.

Welcome to the world of urban combat.

Yup. Stuff happened, and happens, that close. Why do you think that people pay that much attention to camoflage? The thing you don't see in the movie was the incredible attention to detail that was paid in setting up the snipers' hides and escape routes.

Fluffster
June 29, 2005, 11:59 PM
I know it's far from being the worst fiream moment, but having the Teflon-coated Bullet canard repeated in Ronin annoyed me all the more because much of the the gun action in that movie was less than outrageous.

bogie
June 30, 2005, 12:00 AM
The scene in "Last man standing" where Bruce Willis propels the guy out the door and through the air with a pair of 45 autos pretty well ruined my enjoyment of the movie from then on. Utterly ridicules.

Fistful of Dollars was the better remake of Yojimbo, but hey, Last Man Standing was fun.

The one little guy was a fellow named Jesse Ventura...

bogie
June 30, 2005, 12:05 AM
I would _really_ like to see an IPSC-type competition involving a group of red targets surrounded by white targets (balloons?). You start with two Glocks or Berettas, with 30 round mags in each, and you have to dump all the rounds, while hitting all the targets, and missing the "good" targets, in the least amount of time. No rounds allowed left over.

I think that could be fun.

Call it the "Full Woo."

Anyone else here seen "The Killer," "Hard Boiled" or "A Better Tomorrow" - Hong Kong at its best. Of course, one of the bad guys is packing a TC Contender...

san408
June 30, 2005, 12:19 AM
This definately isn't one of the worst moments. Hell this movie is my Holy Grail.

In Full Metal Jacket, Pvt Pyle shoots himself in the latrine with an M1A that is on safe.

See for yourself, since I'm sure most of us here own a copy. ;)

Nnobby45
June 30, 2005, 12:32 AM
Too many silly scenes to count. From the cop cocking his/her revolver and holding it right up to the eyes with finger on the trigger, while peaking around a corner to somebody cocking their lever action carbine numerous times after just cocking it in the previous scene.

The absolute worst, in my book, are those cerebral midget, pre-pubescent, adolescent, horses's fanny scenes where the cop points gun at BG and says "freeze"--at which point the BG points his gun at the cop and says something like "no, you freeze", and the cop keeps saying "put the gun down!" as they continue their standoff with guns pointed at each other. Keereist! :rolleyes:

At least the scene where the bartender shoots the cowpokes with his behind the bar scattergun, and one flies out the swinging doors and lands in the horse trough, and the other goes through the window, is entertaining.
Why'd you have to get me started on this, anyway?

Cesiumsponge
June 30, 2005, 12:33 AM
In Full Metal Jacket, Pvt Pyle shoots himself in the latrine with an M1A that is on safe.

When he shoots the drill instructor and himself, there are no exit wounds or shattered tiles behind them. I want to say that isn't typical at ranges like that but I don't know for sure. :scrutiny:

Another vote is the ammo in one of the Lethal Weapons that punches a zillion holes in the bulldozer bucket.

Lastly, Die Hard 2 quote:
That punk pulled a Glock 7 on me. You know what that is? It's a porcelain gun made in Germany. It dosen't show up on you airport X-ray machines, and it cost more than you make here in a month.

Fluffster
June 30, 2005, 12:34 AM
Feeling a bit stupid...what's the difference between M1A and M14?

Cesiumsponge
June 30, 2005, 12:38 AM
The absolute worst, in my book, are those cerebral midget, pre-pubescent, adolescent, horses's fanny scenes where the cop points gun at BG and says "freeze"--at which point the BG points his gun at the cop and says something like "no, you freeze", and the cop keeps saying "put the gun down!" as they continue their standoff with guns pointed at each other.

That reminds me of the Simpsons scene where a robber takes Homer's unloaded gun and points it at Homer. Homer then says something to the lines of "haha, that gun has no bullets" and holds up a box of ammo teasingly. The robber then fixes the gun at Homer again and says "give me the bullets". Homer screams and throws him the box of ammo.

Malamute
June 30, 2005, 12:45 AM
"What is wrong with a gun in each hand?"

Nothing, but in the movie scenes, the guns are usually wagging back and forth like a happy hound dogs tail while firing.

Two handed shooting isn't a skill that most master. Those that do spend a lot of time practicing doing exactly that.

Hawkmoon
June 30, 2005, 12:46 AM
The other Segal movie.
He's fighting this guy, handgun vs. crossbow. They're going back and forth, Segal is totally owning the bolts fired from the crossbow with his handgun. Segal runs out of ammo or something and then there is a Mexican Standoff. The guy fires a bolt at Segal. Segal then turns around, grabs a sword. He then turns to face the incoming bolt. He raises the sword above his head and then manages to perfectly split the bolt in half with one downward blow from this thing. How do you turn around, grab a sword, lift it way over your head, then swing the sword, all while the bolt is flying at you at probably 300 miles per hour from 20 feet away?!?!
Don't remember the name of it, but I saw that one. I think it's one of his more recent movies, and Segal's movies have been moving progressively farther from reality toward a sort of metaphysical fantasy genre. I don't know where he's getting it or what it is, but I think Segal is recreating with some interesting chemical substances.

C-grunt
June 30, 2005, 12:38 PM
I think its in Anaconda, where the girl shoots the snake multiple times with a bolt action rifle she only cocks once.

All the Terminators, wouldnt future robots be better shots.

peacefuljeffrey
June 30, 2005, 12:49 PM
I think its in Anaconda, where the girl shoots the snake multiple times with a bolt action rifle she only cocks once.

All the Terminators, wouldnt future robots be better shots.

We'll just have to wait and see, now, won't we? :D

Oh, and be careful when posting about Anacondas and cocks in the same sentence, okay? :neener:

-Jeffrey

bosshoff
June 30, 2005, 12:59 PM
The "A-Team!"

All those rounds fired, and no one ever hit! :rolleyes: I have heard that they are making this into a movie, soon.

another48hrs
June 30, 2005, 01:05 PM
James Bond in Dr. No.

Man comes in and fires all 7 shots of his 1911 and has slide lock. Bond makes him drop the gun. The slide is clearly locked back on the floor. As Bond and the guy talk he inches toward his empty gun and picks it up and tries to fire at Bond, suprise the gun is empty. The worst part is when Bond says something to the effect of "Sir that is a Smith and Wesson and you've had your six."

DarthBubba
June 30, 2005, 02:39 PM
I would have to go with any 80's vintage Vietnam movies where a firefight ensues and the squad support MG crew fires continuously for 7-10 min. with out changing barrels on an M60.

DarthBubba :banghead:

Missourigunner
June 30, 2005, 02:42 PM
Remember also the scene in S.W.A.T, when bg shoots down the LAPD Helicopter with a .50 Caliber Rifle. Scene shows the bullet traveling.

G36-UK
June 30, 2005, 03:04 PM
Feeling a bit stupid...what's the difference between M1A and M14?

According to one of my books (correct me please), the M1 fired a .30 round.

When the NATO 7.62 round came into use, the M-1 was used as the basis for the new rifles. The final Trial rifle, the T-44, is what we know as the M-14.

The M-14 has a 20 round (detachable?) mag, as opposed to the M1A 15 round, or the M1 Garand's 8 round.

It also featured select-fire, which was dropped after there were a few problems.

There was also the M-14A1 which had a bipod, and pistol/fore grips.

When the M-16 came into service, a lot of M-14s were sold to the Isrealis until they got the Galil.

(Also according to this, the Mini-14 was meant to be a version by Ruger for 5.56.)

(could be wrong on a lot of this, check please.)

ckyllo
June 30, 2005, 03:17 PM
44 minutes, no matter what gun the bad guys were shooting weather it was handgun, 7.62, 5.56 the shots sounded the same. in the final shootout b/g and cops both had ar platform but the b/g ar still sounded like the ak. and the cops sounded differnt but they were the same gun.that and the 30 second steady full auto fire out of 1-30 round mag. basically the entire movie was a bad moment from beginning to end.

swat during the qual range scene, they were throwing down their M4s on the ground, one of them bounced on impact ( airsoft?). where was the sling? never leave your weapon! the up side was when same scene Sam L Jackson didnt do a handstand or flip or whatever that the others where doing. his response was you only do flips in John Woo movies or somthing like that.

the up side to swat was it did give me a neat way to use up some old playing cards for a long range poker game ;)

mordrid52
June 30, 2005, 03:26 PM
M1A is the name Springfield Armory uses for their commerical semiauto clones of the M14.

db_tanker
June 30, 2005, 04:02 PM
Dunno bout the Duke,

But Clint Eastwood personally owns every weapon that he has used in every movie he made. This may be rumor, but it fits for someone like him.

Darrell

Boats
June 30, 2005, 04:17 PM
I hate to say it but my candidate is in Way of the Gun.

I absolutely hate two small details in that movie, because otherwise it was so competent. The scene where the pregnant gal fires a shotgun through a door at Parker & Longbaugh leaves Hollywood's 12 gauge hole the size of an omlette pan. In the climatic shootout, the shooter using the Galil pumps a magazine (or more) through the wall trying to hit someone on the other side, problem being the wall is stitched exactly like this . . . . . . . . . . . . due to precision placed special effects squibs.

Such errors just dispelled the other otherwise excellent gun handling in the movie. I guess I am just a harsher critic of those, who generally demonstrated that they knew what they were doing, who then go and make such basic mistakes than I am of clueless directors and such who couldn't ever get it right if they bothered.

BTW, The A-Team was played as camp. They never hit anyone because that is part of the joke.

Ian
June 30, 2005, 04:36 PM
The shotgun incident in WOTG isn't necessarily out of line. The shotgun used was a short-barrelled SxS, which may very well have been a hunting gun cut down and left with no choke at all. A shot from that at the distance could easily make a CD-sized hole (at least that's the size I remember it being).

The Galil bit is definitely a cringer, though.

ghost457
June 30, 2005, 04:37 PM
James Bond, any of them. a PPK with a 2 inch barrel taking out BG's left and right, (sarcasm) cuz that happens in real life (/sarcasm). and in Goldeneye when the mines explode not 10 feet from his partner, who somehow survives...... yet the entire building is blown up........

also, any Tomb Raider movies, how does she reload the way she does? the mags are strapped to her legs, yet she still manages to reload,

Tom Servo
June 30, 2005, 04:44 PM
Any movie or television show where the bad guy runs out of ammo, looks at the gun, then throws the gun at the protagonist.

Also, pretty much any episode of the Shield. As much as I like the show, they really need someone on site who knows firearms.

In the real world of course, there's the now imfamous, "I"m the only one in this room professional enough..."

G36-UK
June 30, 2005, 05:23 PM
also, any Tomb Raider movies, how does she reload the way she does? the mags are strapped to her legs, yet she still manages to reload,

Actually, in the first one (haven't seen the second), she had a bandolier tree that extended from her backpack. (from the tech manual, IIRC)

It came down, she slipped her hands back, moving the mags into the gun, then brings them forward while unlocking the slide. (Yes, I'm so sad I saw it multiple times. Not a bad concept really.)

Rob1035
June 30, 2005, 05:25 PM
I really liked Way of The Gun, inaccuracies not withstanding.

JohnKSa
June 30, 2005, 10:30 PM
I watched a movie about a girl who was afraid of some guy. She got this guru to help her learn self defense. Anyway, the climax at the end had her shooting the bad guy. There was one scene where she was shooting, and then it panned to the BG on the ground. When the scene changed back to a view of her pointing the gun at the now-expired/expiring BG, it's a different pistol entirely. Not just a little different, OBVIOUSLY different--a completely different brand. I can't remember the details, but it was the perfect final stupid touch on a movie that was already almost too stupid to watch in the first place.

White Horseradish
June 30, 2005, 10:42 PM
Ya know, the A-team not hitting anyone could actually be construed as great marksmanship. Just try shooting a bunch of moving targets and NOT hit them... :neener:

Justin
June 30, 2005, 10:53 PM
Anyone else here seen "The Killer," "Hard Boiled" or "A Better Tomorrow" - Hong Kong at its best. Of course, one of the bad guys is packing a TC Contender... John Woo was a revolutionary director back in the days before he immigrated from Hong Kong. Say what you will about the realism, but his directorial style and sense of motion is beyond compare. The man single-handedly changed the action movie genre.

Since coming to Hollywood, though, his movies have become progressively worse. :(

Cesiumsponge
June 30, 2005, 11:46 PM
A lot of Hong Kong and Asian actors/directors seem to get worse when they're famous enough in the west to go to Hollywood.--personal opinion.

50 Freak
July 1, 2005, 03:05 AM
Oh, in "The Killer". Chow Yan Fat (the killer) takes out his mark at a something like 500 yards away using a Dragunov while standing in a small boat floating in the Hong Kong harbor.

As for the M-14 versus the M1A question. They are both the same rifle. Only difference is the M-14 is the military designation and the M1A is Springfield's designation for their rifles. Oh, and the M-14 is select fire and the M1A is semi only. No other difference.

ckyllo
July 1, 2005, 07:48 AM
superman tv show (IIRC it happened in a movie too )( waay loong tiime aggo ) bad guy shoots at superman, the bullets bounce off of him. when the gun is empty bad guy throws gun at superman and he ducks. so bullets bounce off and snub 38 can do some real damage.

C-grunt
July 1, 2005, 11:48 AM
True Lies
-love the movie-
In the bathroom shoot out in the mall the b/g shoots the stalla with his Ak and leaves about 50 holes and then Arnold jumps out and the b/g shoots about another 30 rounds at him. Same sceen, the b/g jumps through a window and shoots at Tom Arnold who hides behind a light pole that stops the rounds.

Fast and the Furious
MAC 10/11 blows up a car.

Predator
Arnolds M203 levels buildings.

GunGoBoom
July 1, 2005, 03:45 PM
As far as making me mad goes, the winner is the 'cop-killer' bullets (9mm?) in Lethal Weapon whichever, that are busting right through the bulldozer's steel scoop like a hot knife through butter.

As far as the "pul-eeeeze" factor goes, gotta be Rambo II when Stallone is mowing down the enemy in hoards, with his M60. He's gotta have 50 guys firing at him with AK47s but they all miss, despite the fact that he's standing still in the middle of a field. And his belt of ammo never runs out.

Ya know, the A-team not hitting anyone could actually be construed as great marksmanship. Just try shooting a bunch of moving targets and NOT hit them...

Actually, try hitting *anything* with a mini-14. :neener: :D :eek:

Rob1035
January 17, 2006, 06:48 PM
way old thread, but I just made the mistake of watching "XXX- State of the Union"

Highlights:
-Bolt action firing in semi automatic mode
-multiple shots coming from a sig pistol with finger nowhere near the trigger
-using a grenade pistol (m203 with a pistol grip?) for CQB:p

man, what a movie:cool:

M.E.Eldridge
January 17, 2006, 07:47 PM
Any of the scenes in Liftime movies were the protaganists draw their pistols and bring them down over their head with arms extended in order to get a bead on the antagonist, who is usually armed and already aiming at said protaganist .Of course the BG still gets shot first.

TheArchDuke
January 17, 2006, 07:49 PM
way old thread, but I just made the mistake of watching "XXX- State of the Union"

Highlights:
-Bolt action firing in semi automatic mode
-multiple shots coming from a sig pistol with finger nowhere near the trigger
-using a grenade pistol (m203 with a pistol grip?) for CQB:p

man, what a movie:cool:

I hate that movie.

Turtle Club
January 17, 2006, 07:53 PM
In the movie "PHONEBOOTH" when the pimp aproaches Collin Farrel's character and the sniper shoots the pimp in the back with a rifle. Then while on the phone with Collin Farel the sniper tells him to reach on the top shelf of the booth thus Collin puts his finger prints on a handgun.

The pimp dies. The EMT rushes to the pimp and everyone blames Collin Farel's Character for shooting the pimp.

This is why I stoped watching the movie after this point.

The pimp was facing Collin Farel when he was shot. No was Collin could have shot him.
A quick examination on behalf of the EMT, would shot the entrance wound in the back.
If the EMT told the cops that the pimp was shot in the back and witnesses say Farel did it. The fact that he was in the phone booth the whole time would prove he didnt shoot anyone.
They would try to operate on the pimp to get the bullet out and notice it was not handgun calber.

This is either bad writting on behalf of the screenplay writter or just sheer stupidity on paying attention to detail.

SemiAutoMan
January 17, 2006, 07:54 PM
I forget which movie it was but I watched one with a guy shooting a double barrel break action shotgun 12 times without reloading kinda a lil silly but it is just the movies (I wish my guns would do that)

KriegHund
January 17, 2006, 07:59 PM
Alot of movies-

Villian shoots 300+ times w/o reloading at hero and misses.
Villian corners good guy.
Villian just now runs out of ammo.

need to remember that. Good thread.

In the game "Call of duty- Big red one) the mauser (not the scoped version) has the safety switch to the right- so the safety is on.

Taurus 66
January 17, 2006, 09:55 PM
How about all the old westerns, including Bonanza, spagetti westerns, with the stupid sound effects as a bullet deflects off a rock or a tree? I think there's like 3 different sounds total, and they change 'em up every shot. I'd write and complain to the movie directors, only that all of 'em are probably dead.

How about the classical silencer sound effect? How cheesy!

Walker Texas Ranger never gets a bullet hole in his truck body. Not even a dent! The bullets create a spark then bounce right off.

Oh yeah, one more thing about old westerns. Pay special attention to the large gun battles, like when two armies square off. With all the bullets flying around it's amazing how not one horse was hit.

Tequila_Sauer
January 17, 2006, 10:33 PM
Any Lethal Weapon after the first one could have moments on this list. Tons of gun no-nos.

Inline_6
January 17, 2006, 10:34 PM
Of course Hathcock didn't intentionally shoot the NVA sniper through the scope. He knew the enemy sniper was out there, and he saw a glint. He quickly shouldered his rifle and fired at the glint. When he got to where the sniper was he realized he'd dead centered the scope with the bullet entering the scope's objective lens, exiting the eye piece and entering the sniper's eye and exiting the back of his head. It was mere luck that he'd fired before the NVA sniper, and even greater luck to hit him like that since the only thing he saw was the scope glint.
Beat me to it - it was pure luck. Only thing is... IIRC Hathcock didn't go to where the sniper was and see it himself. He left the area and the Marine rifle platoon that came through the next day found the sniper with the bullet through the scope. Of course the importance isn't that Hathcock shot him through his scope... but that the enemy sniper was lined up perfectly to shoot Hathcock, but lost to a split second trigger pull.

As for worst movie things.. many have been mentioned so I'll add,

In Die Hard 2 (the DC airport) McCain (Bruce Willis) shoots a bunch of bad guys in the aiport annex, firing his gun probably 20 times... then pulls out the magazine and yep, there are a couple rounds left.. :scrutiny:

Oh, and any scene where one person shoots the gun from anothers hand... this has to stop. Jack Bauer even did it in 24 last night.

spaceCADETzoom
January 17, 2006, 10:40 PM
According to one of my books (correct me please), the M1 fired a .30 round.

When the NATO 7.62 round came into use, the M-1 was used as the basis for the new rifles. The final Trial rifle, the T-44, is what we know as the M-14.

The M-14 has a 20 round (detachable?) mag, as opposed to the M1A 15 round, or the M1 Garand's 8 round.

It also featured select-fire, which was dropped after there were a few problems.

There was also the M-14A1 which had a bipod, and pistol/fore grips.

When the M-16 came into service, a lot of M-14s were sold to the Isrealis until they got the Galil.

(Also according to this, the Mini-14 was meant to be a version by Ruger for 5.56.)

(could be wrong on a lot of this, check please.)

umm...Scotland huh?

Anyway, the m1a is SPringfield Armory's consumer brand name for thier semiauto m14s.

rereading my comment...man, i dont mean to sound like an ass. seriously. its cool that people out in the UK are interested, though.

MDG1976
January 17, 2006, 10:46 PM
Any movie in which a gun has no recoil... wait.. that's every movie. Especially when it's some thing young super model type.:banghead:

LawDog
January 17, 2006, 10:51 PM
For sheer obscenity-shrieking, popcorn-flinging badness, the top prize has to go to the Lethal Weapon movie where Mel Gibson has a CTC LaserGrip on his Beretta.

He gets pinned down by the bad-guy, turns on the laser, bounces the dot off of various objects until the laser ison the bad guys chest, then pulls the trigger and the bullet follows the exact same ricochet path as the laser dot!

Arrggh!

LawDog

f4t9r
January 17, 2006, 10:54 PM
I always think of the TV show Cannon , where he shoots a sniper with a riffle and scope off a building or mountian top with his snub nose little pistol.
Going back in time a little but Im sure some of you remember.

marklbucla
January 17, 2006, 11:04 PM
I'll put another vote in for Pulp Fiction, except for the car scene where I believe it was John Travolta who ND's killing the guy in the back seat.

I think it's the worst because stuff like that really happens where people will ND and it's also contributed to the idea that "guns go off on their own."

I'll put a second in for the scene in S.W.A.T. at the train yard where the bad guy didn't know that there would still be a live round in the chamber even though the magazine was out.

It's not so much the inaccuracies that bug me, it's more the accurate reflections on reality that get me. We have to put up with stupid laws that come about because people don't understand proper safety or even how guns work.

EddieCoyle
January 17, 2006, 11:57 PM
I don't remember the show, but I once saw a guy point a Glock at someone, then cock the hammer with his thumb. When the BG told him what he wanted to know, he let the hammer down with his thumb.

Black Majik
January 18, 2006, 12:26 AM
I don't remember the show, but I once saw a guy point a Glock at someone, then cock the hammer with his thumb.

This reminds me of Executive decision, when the main terrorist executes his own teammate, he cocks his Glock as he shoots him. Sigh...

As for more Glock inaccuracies, Man Of Fire Denzel Washington gives the father his Glock to shoot himself, but he takes out the magazine so theres only the round in the chamber. When the father shoots himself the gun is at slide lock without the magazine. ::sigh:: :rolleyes:

How can we forget Matrix, when Neo enters into the building, the SWAT team comes to the lobby and you hear "ch ch ch ch ch ch ch" as everyone points their rifles at Neo and Trinity. Classic hollywood.

DevLcL
January 18, 2006, 12:29 AM
For sheer obscenity-shrieking, popcorn-flinging badness, the top prize has to go to the Lethal Weapon movie where Mel Gibson has a CTC LaserGrip on his Beretta.

He gets pinned down by the bad-guy, turns on the laser, bounces the dot off of various objects until the laser ison the bad guys chest, then pulls the trigger and the bullet follows the exact same ricochet path as the laser dot!

Arrggh!

LawDog

Actually it goes like this... Gibson aims his laser at something metal (completely rusted and not reflective, maybe the shovel to a backhoe)behind the BG and the laser reflects down and back onto the BG's butt who is bent over taking cover. First of all, the laser itself wouldnt have reflected down in this way. But the point you make, LawDog, remains. The chances of a bullet following the reflection of a laser are a million to one.

-Dev

Edited to add: It really gets me when any group of soldiers/militiamen/gangsters/police or whatever all stand in a circle around their target. They would all shoot each other if anybody started shooting.

Janitor
January 18, 2006, 12:47 AM
... ND and it's also contributed to the idea that "guns go off on their own."
Well ... not really. When the gun goes off in the car, it was clear that the car had gone over a bump in the road. Visuals made a point of it.

I think the scene contributed more to the idea that it may not be in everyones best interest to be waving a loaded pistol around in a moving car with your finger on the trigger (yet another visual they made a point of).
-

Just tonight I was watching an episode of "Lost" on DVD a friend insisted on loaning me. Not a completely horible series, but ...

Anyway - in one flashback, the 'Sawyer' character had just purchased a J frame from a guy in Australia. Later on, before using it, he opens the cylinder and spins it. They added in that really neat clicking sound it makes when you spin the cylinder on a single action.

Koz
January 18, 2006, 12:55 AM
Way of the Gun

Scene: Jumping into the water fountain containing glass.

That was hilarious

Rob1035
January 18, 2006, 12:58 AM
Just tonight I was watching an episode of "Lost" on DVD a friend insisted on loaning me. Not a completely horible series, but ...

Anyway - in one flashback, the 'Sawyer' character had just purchased a J frame from a guy in Australia. Later on, before using it, he opens the cylinder and spins it. They added in that really neat clicking sound it makes when you spin the cylinder on a single action.

did you notice at one point the cylinder came out from the right side of the revolver as well? I distinctly remember that, cause i'm a lefty and would love that revolver:p

Silver Bullet
January 18, 2006, 01:16 AM
Worst moment was the 1995 version of The Quick and the Dead, where Gene Hackman gets shot in a gunfight, looks down at the ground at his shadow and sees a point of light through his COM.

For this to happen, sun (behind him) would have to send a beam of light at about 45 degrees (judging by the length of his shadow), enter a hole at the back of his torso and pass through at 0 degrees (horizontal to the ground), come out from his front side and angle down 45 degrees to his shadow. No only do I doubt the beam performing this zigzag, I am skeptical that a gunshot through his torso would maintain a passageway through all his soft tissues.

MTMilitiaman
January 18, 2006, 01:18 AM
You guys have got most of them. I can recall people in a theater being annoyed at me for pointing out numerous times that 1911s can't be decocked with one hand because of the grip safety.

Also having done extensive testing, I can assure you that the common "shoot the lock off" or "bang it off with a shovel" effect is pure Hollywood crap. I've seen a Masterlock take two 305 gr Corbons from a .44 Mag Blackhawk, an entire magazine of 95 gr JHPs from a FEG .380, and a round of 12 gauge 00 buckshot before coming apart. I've also seen them take a hit from a .300 Mag and remain locked. Suggesting a single 9mm is going to blow one apart or a couple whacks from a shovel will do that trick is ludicrious.

I love snipers with laser sights on their rifles, surpressors on revolvers, the way bullets are almost always depicted as spitzers in flight even if they are fired from handguns, and a whole host of other Hollywood B.S that I can't remember right now. I think a lot of us should be making good money as consultants for these producers, but I doubt they really care a whole lot about realism.

DevLcL
January 18, 2006, 01:26 AM
You guys have got most of them. I can recall people in a theater being annoyed at me for pointing out numerous times that 1911s can't be decocked with one hand because of the grip safety.

I can do it. :D :cool: :rolleyes:

-Dev

Kodiaz
January 18, 2006, 01:27 AM
Cmon stop trashing the hollywood firearms academy. I don't want them showing the criminal element about cover and concealment about reloading about not shooting a pistol sideways. If someone breaks into my house I want them to hold the gun sideways and take cover behind an interior wall or a couch. Or better yet come around a corner with a pistol pointing straight up into the air.

Kodiaz
January 18, 2006, 01:28 AM
I can decock my 1911 one handed. I wouldn't do it in condition 1 though.

nyresq
January 18, 2006, 01:33 AM
Call it the "Full Woo."

Bro, that was funny as hell........:D :D :D

as for the tomb raider movies..... if your paying attention to the guns, you need to go to the range and work out some aggression :banghead: ... I watched that movie three times before I realized there was a plot..... the reloading backpack is pretty cool, though it would take a lot of practice to get the double load move down...

Strings
January 18, 2006, 01:36 AM
nyresq: Spoon and I were actually thinking of trying to arrange something like her reload setup out of the begining of the movie, just for s&g's...

Vex
January 18, 2006, 02:08 AM
Just a side note.... Billy Zane's weapon in Sniper is actually an MSG90.

Lucky
January 18, 2006, 05:02 AM

"I can do it."
"I can decock my 1911 one handed. I wouldn't do it in condition 1 though."

Yea, when you pull the hammer back a bit more it pushes on the backstrap (I think that's the word) and this works like a cantilever to push the grip safety in. Then once you pull the trigger, with your thumb still on the hammer, the grip safety stays engaged until you release the trigger.

At least on the Norinco model.

Edit: rented 'The Transporter 2' the other night, and it's a mixed blessing. It's VERY hollywood, much suckier than the first movie. But they took this really trampy looking model and put her in pink lingerie and had her firing glock 18's or something in each hand, after carrying them concealed under a lab coat. And the bullets won't go through an ordinary wooden door, though they go through everything else. And she shoots a team-mate for no real reason, lol, and no-one cares.

...But you stop caring too much once you see the slow-motion scene of her walking around and taking the lab coat off. As I recall there were some other scenes in the movie too, but about 2 of the 3 hours of the movie are her in her undies. And then the sprinklers go off over her:)

50caliber123
January 18, 2006, 05:19 AM
Has anyone seen this? I watched it, and every time the swat team (bad guys) tried to breach and enter the police station, they would run up to it, cock their weapons, and then attempt to go inside. Yeah, sure.... Someone or in this case, a lot of someones would never approach a building where they know the occupants are armed, and be a swat team member or police officer. :cuss:

1911 guy
January 18, 2006, 09:38 AM
Watched a Custer movie a long time ago. At the final scene, Custer was using a buntline special-esque long barrel revolver. Taking careful aim, of course, by laying it over his left forearm. Powder burns, anyone.

Oh, I can de-cock a 1911 one handed, too. As mentioned, I'd never do it from condition one. Too little margin for "oops".

mrmeval
January 18, 2006, 09:45 AM
A 1911A1 where the slide did not move when fired and that did not lock back when empty then 'clicked' when the trigger is pulled. It was some squished out scifi channel flick. They are notoriously bad at crap like that. They do better with Norelco razors and TV remotes as weapons, OOOOO Pretty Lights OOOOO.

I even saw one where the weapon looked suspiciously like a metal bowl folded in half.

It was just absurd and shameful, and proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that none of the producers had ever shot a weapon.

smokemaker
January 18, 2006, 10:23 AM
Everyone that mentioned Rambo and the M-60... It wasn't the belt not running out that bothered me... it was that the barrel never got white hot and drooped. Just kept on holding that trigger down. Gun didn't look water cooled.

Whoever mentioned busting locks... the key is to shoot down on the lock, not directly at it. A 158 grain .357 mag will bust a masterlock. I've seen it done. (though I don't have the cajones to try it myself)

Janitor
January 18, 2006, 10:32 AM
did you notice at one point the cylinder came out from the right side of the revolver as well? I distinctly remember that, cause i'm a lefty and would love that revolver:p
No! I can't believe I completely missed that. I have to go back and look tonight when I get home. Too cool - a left handed wheel gun!

proud2deviate
January 18, 2006, 10:56 AM
In the original Star Wars, the blaster rifles eject cases. Blanks were used in the modified Sterling SMGs to simulate recoil and signify when a shot was fired.

In the final scenes of The Matrix, Smith shoots Neo at least 11 times with his Desert Eagle, and still no slide lock. This bothers me more than the view of the blanks in the gun.

Also in The Matrix, Neo unloads two Berretas at an Agent, who dodges the bullets. The Agent draws his weapon and returns fire. Neo drops his Berretas and proceeds to do the bullet dodging thing. As the camera enters bullet time, it pans 360 degrees around Neo, and the Berretas dropped seconds before are nowhere to be seen. Cloaked assault pistol, anyone?

Fun trivia- In The Matrix, the Agent's Desert Eagles have the standard black oxide finish. In The Matrix Reloaded, the "upgraded" agents have blued Desert Eagles :cool:

DirksterG30
January 18, 2006, 11:41 AM
The one that comes to mind is in the movie I Robot with Will Smith.
He wakes up from a bad dream, grabs his handgun from his bed and points the gun at his head, as if to say 'wake up; it was a bad dream.'

Manedwolf
January 18, 2006, 11:42 AM

I thought Jules' gun in Pulp Fiction was a chromed Star B, not BM?

Manedwolf
January 18, 2006, 11:46 AM
There is a night scene in 'The Patriot', with Mel Gibson, where he rears up while riding a horse and shoots into the air with a single-shot blackpowder pistol. The problem is that just a second later, he shoots yet again with the same pistol! That must be the quickest BP reload in history, and one handed too.

Michael

If you want to go back in history that far, Pirates of the Carribean, even though it was supposed to be silly...that "one shot" pistol that Depp's character has, he's carrying it while walking underwater, getting wet many times, etc... wouldn't that powder have been fouled many times over by the end of the movie? :D

Manedwolf
January 18, 2006, 11:49 AM
I know it's far from being the worst fiream moment, but having the Teflon-coated Bullet canard repeated in Ronin annoyed me all the more because much of the the gun action in that movie was less than outrageous.

I believe it was one of the "lethal weapon" movies, also, where someone tosses what looks like a .38 to someone, saying "here, cop-killers!"...and that character proceeds to shoot through the steel pan of an oncoming bulldozer (!) to kill its driver?

SteelEye
January 18, 2006, 11:58 AM
Not to give away too much, the chick shooting 2 Glock 18s??? with extended mags, never runs out. Out on the street, 2 cop cars drive up to her with the usual, "Freeze, drop the gun, blah, blah, blah..."

Chick is on the phone, says "...Plan B...," dumps both mags from the guns, turns and fires, full auto at the cops. Unbelievable!

If you watch this movie as science fiction/fantasy, you will enjoy it.

wolf_from_wv
January 18, 2006, 12:09 PM
Also in The Matrix, Neo unloads two Berretas at an Agent, who dodges the bullets. The Agent draws his weapon and returns fire. Neo drops his Berretas and proceeds to do the bullet dodging thing. As the camera enters bullet time, it pans 360 degrees around Neo, and the Berretas dropped seconds before are nowhere to be seen. Cloaked assault pistol, anyone?

Fun trivia- In The Matrix, the Agent's Desert Eagles have the standard black oxide finish. In The Matrix Reloaded, the "upgraded" agents have blued Desert Eagles :cool:

Wasn't there a building behind the agent? A building full of glass windows?

I guess a helicopter crashing into a building only affects that building... Nothing will make it across the street... Not even the heat of the explosion...

daiadvisor
January 18, 2006, 12:24 PM
Black Hawk Down. Even though I love that movies, there is a part where two guys are left behind with SAWs after the convoy leaves. Close-up of the weapon reveals belt-fed crimped blanks that are quite obvious. Many other parts where blanks are also clearly in the shot.

VirgilCaine
January 18, 2006, 12:26 PM
Assault on Precinct 13 (70's version): Black convict suddenly "realizes" that his "suppressed" revolver is empty...he couldn't hear the report and didn't know he was firing an empty gun.

TheArchDuke
January 18, 2006, 12:35 PM
Chick is on the phone, says "...Plan B...," dumps both mags from the guns, turns and fires, full auto at the cops. Unbelievable!

.....with no ammo?!

Mainsail
January 18, 2006, 01:18 PM
...and go rent Top Secret starring Val Kilmer. The gun handling in that movie was very interesting. But then, I think they meant it to be. :cool:

cmidkiff
January 18, 2006, 01:54 PM
My personal favorite is in 007's 'Man with the Golden Gun'

Q is inspecting the golden bullet recovered by Bond, slug is mushroomed to about 1" diameter. He weighs it at '180 grains', and then deduces that it comes from a 4.7mm gun.

Of course, he then goes on to deduce exactly who made the bullet...

There's countless examples of dozens of shots being fired from a revolver without reloading, and hundreds from a simi-auto, and thousands from a Glock18 :)

V4Vendetta
January 18, 2006, 02:10 PM
"Open Range". I love the movie but at the gunfight Costner fires close to 14 shots from his revolver. COME ON!!!

"The Sting". They have all these revolvers with silencers. In reality, they just wouldn't work.

"Where Eagles Dare". How many of us have ever fired 2 fully automatic STG-44's at the same time like Eastwood did? Not me. That's gotta have enough recoil to blow him back into a wall.:banghead:

Tequila_Sauer
January 18, 2006, 02:32 PM
Love the movie, but Grosse Point Blank has its share of bad gun moments. There are a lot of shots where you can see the actor pulling the trigger and the slide isn't moving and John Cusack has this weird way of firing where he jerks each gun forward as he's firing, it's hard to explain, but if you remember the movie, you'll know what I'm talking about.

The gun moments I hate the most are the accidental discharges. Dropped guns, guns hitting something, etc. Someone drops a gun on the ground and it goes off. One of the few TV shows or movies I've ever seen mention this fallacy was, surprisingly enough, Desperate Housewives. The show actually has some positive gun messages in it. At one point, someone is being questioned and blames a person getting shot on a gun that was dropped on the floor. The detective questioning her says "I've been in Law Enforcement for 25 years and I've never once seen a firearm discharge from being dropped on the floor." I thought that was cool.

I should also add that I HATE really fake gunfire sounds. I seem to distinctly remember Mel Gibson's Beretta in Lethal Weapon having this really bassy BOOOM BOOOM BOOOM! sound when he fired it. It wasn't a sharp crack, but it sounded almost like a giant bass drum and the length of the noise was long as well.

VirgilCaine
January 18, 2006, 02:38 PM
My personal favorite is in 007's 'Man with the Golden Gun'

Q is inspecting the golden bullet recovered by Bond, slug is mushroomed to about 1" diameter. He weighs it at '180 grains', and then deduces that it comes from a 4.7mm gun.

Of course, he then goes on to deduce exactly who made the bullet...

There's countless examples of dozens of shots being fired from a revolver without reloading, and hundreds from a simi-auto, and thousands from a Glock18 :)

Not many people make custom, gold bullets in custom calibers...illegally. There are only so many people who take odd jobs (like the three-finger rifle) for "private citizens".

"Where Eagles Dare". How many of us have ever fired 2 fully automatic STG-44's at the same time like Eastwood did? Not me. That's gotta have enough recoil to blow him back into a wall.

Don't be silly, it wouldn't do that. And I though those were MPs, not STGs?

Grosse Pointe Blank seemed okay on the guns, except for the magazine capacities..

Working Man
January 18, 2006, 02:39 PM
I believe it was one of the "lethal weapon" movies, also, where someone tosses what looks like a .38 to someone, saying "here, cop-killers!"...and that character proceeds to shoot through the steel pan of an oncoming bulldozer (!) to kill its driver?

IIRC, Danny Glover to Mel Gibson.... it's a mack 10 I think.

GhostRider66
January 18, 2006, 02:39 PM
Desperado....limo attempted-assasination scene: two more shots fired after slide is very obviously locked back on a Desert Eagle. Other very bad ones in that movie but still fun to watch.

Thain
January 18, 2006, 02:43 PM
Okay, never once watched the show, but while chanel surfing last night I catch a horrib little "Me Too!" cop drama called NCIS. I wtahced it for exactly one scene:

Hot Chick Agent and Young Hip Male Agent (she in a Prada pant-suit he in Ohio State t-shirt and jacket) have broken into a house, warrantless, and triggered the alarm... and are calmly "hacking" into the suspects computer. :barf:

Barney Fife rural cop enters, levels his revolver at them and demands they produce ID. They say they're Feds, he doesn't by it. He makes them cuff themselves. Stepping closer once they've cuffed themselves, Hot Chick Agent (who picked her handcuffs in 2.5 seconds) judo flips Barney to the ground, disarms him, and presses her gun into his chest! :eek:

Her finger on the trigger!

I popped in my borrowed Thundercats DVD then and there. At least Lion-O shows proper safety discipline with his sword.

Carl
January 18, 2006, 03:11 PM
I can think of noticing so many movies/TV shows that involve a gun scene where they have their finger wrapped tightly around the trigger.

I forget which movie, but there was a guy with a pump shotgun, and they were looking through some kind of warehouse or something, and I remember hearing the "tchk tchk" noise about five times through the scene. No shots fired, I guess they just like the noise.

Igloodude
January 18, 2006, 04:07 PM
Cmon stop trashing the hollywood firearms academy. I don't want them showing the criminal element about cover and concealment about reloading about not shooting a pistol sideways. If someone breaks into my house I want them to hold the gun sideways and take cover behind an interior wall or a couch. Or better yet come around a corner with a pistol pointing straight up into the air.

I'd always assumed that showing our rap-star wannabes holding the pistol sideways was realistic. To their credit (and this is a nickel's worth of credit against a c-note worth of debt) they never show police or military doing that, that I've seen.

Thain
January 18, 2006, 04:25 PM
Someone has probablly mention this but in the final 'battle' of Lethal Weapon 4, Murtaugh states he has only four bullets left yet he fires five more.

And these were the movies that got everyon in America to buy a Beretta? :rolleyes:

Tequila_Sauer
January 18, 2006, 04:30 PM
Mel Gibson isn't the only reason people bought that gun. The 92FS is as solid a firearm as it gets.

I do wonder if any people that bought one because of Lethal Weapon were shocked when it made a sharp POP! instead of a BOOOM! at the gun range.

G36-UK
January 18, 2006, 05:04 PM
There's a TV show over here called "The Bill", that's about the police (naturally). Lately, there's been a lot of guns used by both the SO19/Armed Response and the criminals.

The previews for the show at the end of tonight's episode, has this fixed, but the pics of the end had one of the ARU off-duty, being threatened by a hooded thug with a Glock of some sort.

The Glock had it's slide locked back, and the guy still looked ready to pi*h his trousers (Note: This show isn't really representative of cops or the ARU).

iapetus
January 18, 2006, 05:30 PM
How can we forget Matrix, when Neo enters into the building, the SWAT team comes to the lobby and you hear "ch ch ch ch ch ch ch" as everyone points their rifles at Neo and Trinity. Classic hollywood.

That seems to be a pretty standard rule in all movies/TV shows.

I remember watching an episode of Spooks (UK drama about MI5 agents), where a SWAT/SF team stormed a building, abseiling down from the roof and bursting through the windows, charged into the room, leveled their MP5s at the BG, and went Clk Clk Clnk Chnk Clk.

(On the same subject, isnt' it funny how someone can instantly summon a SF team just by yelling "Go! Go! Go!" into his hidden microphone, and they always appear instantly and sighlently, even when delivered by helicopter).

I was watching a Steven Segal movie the other day. One character (an assassin) sneaks into another guy's hotel room. The assassin (armed with a pistol), comes face to face with his "victim", who is armed with a pump-action shotgun.

Despite the fact that the assassin has his pistol drawn and pointed directly at his mark, and the other guy is holding his shotgun pointing either straight up in the air or straight down (I can't remember which), the "victim" still manages to shoot the assassin without the assassin getting off a single shot.

(Needless to say, the would-be assassin is blasted back about 10 feet and straight out the window. However, it later transpires he was wearing a bullet-proof vest, so despite the 3-story fall, he turns up again almost completely unharmed).

If you want to go with period movie firearm gaffs, how about Last of the Moheccans, where one character rushes into a fight wielding a musket in each hand :rolleyes:

JesseJames
January 18, 2006, 05:41 PM
It was one of Burt Reynolds old movies, I think "Sharkeys Machine" where the albino hitman shoots a guy with a revolver - maybe .357? - and the guy goes flying like 20 feet backwards. :scrutiny:

Those obligatory sniper shots in movies are so typically Hollywood it's nauseating. I had to roll my eyes when I saw that scene in "Saving Private Ryan".

I'd say the coolest impossible shot in a movie was in "Last of the Mohicans" where Hawkeye played by Daniel Day Lewis covers the escape of a courier through enemy infested woods in the dark of night. I'm like, well, maybe but unlikely - dude. I'd say Michael Mann is one of the better Directors out there when it comes to portraying firearms.
He did a good job in "Collateral". Tom Cruise actually looked competent as a man who made his living as a heartless hitman.

The most hilarious gun-handling in a movie that made no bones about how ridiculous it was is the movie "Army of Darkness".
Ash and his mighty boomstick. Complete ridiculousness but total fun.
:D

The most jaw-dropping scene of gun-handling in a Western undoubtedly is in the movie "The Outlaw Josey Wales".
Two reprobates get the drop on Josey in a general store and tells him to hand over his pistols - butt end first. Josey complies, and then flips them over and blows them away.
I must have rewinded and played that scene in slow motion two dozen times to see if it was for real. To this day I wonder who was the person that did that trick for the camera. It was LIGHTNING fast.

The most howling I ever heard in a movie theater was when I was in the Army and in a military movie theater with other fellow soldiers who were out of uniform and relaxing to a flick. The movie was "Hard Target" with the ever wooden Jean Claude Van Damme.
Someone pops the spoon off a frag grenade and drops it into another guys pants. Yikes. Then the guy starts rooting through his pants and then to the astonishment of all of us, pulls the grenade from his pants and starts to UNSCREW the fuse! Wow! That was one long timer on that fuse.

flyingstag
January 18, 2006, 06:30 PM
Im still looking for a 12 shot .45 cal revolver.

I know its out there, Ive seen e'm use it.

Stag

:neener:

Thefabulousfink
January 18, 2006, 08:23 PM
The most jaw-dropping scene of gun-handling in a Western undoubtedly is in the movie "The Outlaw Josey Wales".
Two reprobates get the drop on Josey in a general store and tells him to hand over his pistols - butt end first. Josey complies, and then flips them over and blows them away.
I must have rewinded and played that scene in slow motion two dozen times to see if it was for real. To this day I wonder who was the person that did that trick for the camera. It was LIGHTNING fast.

It is a fairly easy trick: have you index finger covering the trigger gaurd, flip the gun sideways (away from your palm) so that it is now upside-down hanging from your index finger by the trigger gaurd. Then spin the gun (Barrel goes up, over, and toward bg) as the gun is coming around cock the hammer with your thumb or the palm of your hand.
(works with all types of guns, some better than others)

with practice you can get pretty fast with a cowboy style gun, but, IMHO never fast enough to beat someone who has you dead to rights.:eek:

As far as "Pirates of the Craib." and Jack's water-loged pistol, he would have to plug the touch-hole with greese or wax and probably the barrel too. he would then have to clean the touch-hole out and prime the pan before it would fire.

Greybeard7
January 18, 2006, 09:36 PM
Well, since no ones mentioned it yet, I've got to nominate "The Gauntlet" with Clint Eastwood and Sondra Locke.

In particular, the scene at the end with the bus driving through town, cops lined up on both sides of the street and on rooftops shooting the bus to pieces and not a single round got to the other side of the street. :rolleyes:

GB7

lawson
January 18, 2006, 09:54 PM
there's a bit in "saving private ryan" (i think that's the right movie), where a german sniper has his eye pressed up against his scope. OUCH!

modifiedbrowning
January 18, 2006, 11:28 PM
Commando.
When Arnie storms the island to save his daughter he kills over 100 badguys and suffers only a minor shoulder wound. Then fights Bennett hand to hand.

FPrice
January 18, 2006, 11:37 PM
Commando.
When Arnie storms the island to save his daughter he kills over 100 badguys and suffers only a minor shoulder wound. Then fights Bennett hand to hand.

And your point is?????

:scrutiny:

noresttill
January 19, 2006, 12:04 AM
I like the scene in "The Punisher" when the musician is chasing him and crashes him up against the bridge. The punisher crawls out the upside down car and pulls out a switchblade.

The musician tells him, "You don't bring a knife to a gunfight."

The punisher then procedes to use his modified ballistics knife to shot a blade into him neck.

not a gun, but more lethal than an airsoft.

BTW the guy dies and fires no shots. Good justice movie though.

newfalguy101
January 19, 2006, 12:17 AM

-Jeffrey

I own no less than THREE autos that DO NOT lock open on the last round, they DO NOT have a hold-open device.

Creeping Incrementalism
January 19, 2006, 01:14 AM
The gun moments I hate the most are the accidental discharges. Dropped guns, guns hitting something, etc. Someone drops a gun on the ground and it goes off. One of the few TV shows or movies I've ever seen mention this fallacy was, surprisingly enough, Desperate Housewives. The show actually has some positive gun messages in it. At one point, someone is being questioned and blames a person getting shot on a gun that was dropped on the floor. The detective questioning her says "I've been in Law Enforcement for 25 years and I've never once seen a firearm discharge from being dropped on the floor." I thought that was cool.

Some modern firearms in good condition can discharge from just being bumped in certain circumstances. It isn't as rare as you might think, and it happened to me once, within the first 500 to 1000 cartidges I'd fired in my life. I had initiated squeezing the trigger, stopped and took my finger out of the trigger guard, then bumped the butt with that hand, and the gun discharged. I suppose the hammer had just barely been released by my partial trigger pull, and the bump released it the rest of the way. This was a single-shot rifle, by the way, and my barrel was pointed downrange the whole time.

Manedwolf
January 19, 2006, 01:47 AM
Some modern firearms in good condition can discharge from just being bumped in certain circumstances. It isn't as rare as you might think, and it happened to me once, within the first 500 to 1000 cartidges I'd fired in my life. I had initiated squeezing the trigger, stopped and took my finger out of the trigger guard, then bumped the butt with that hand, and the gun discharged. I suppose the hammer had just barely been released by my partial trigger pull, and the bump released it the rest of the way. This was a single-shot rifle, by the way, and my barrel was pointed downrange the whole time.

But nothing can fire from being dropped or thrown unless the hammer IS cocked. To me, carrying a safed auto that's capable of being carried cocked-and-locked is alright, but leaving it that way sitting on a desk, table, counter, etc...around your home would be asking for that sort of mishap?

psyopspec
January 19, 2006, 01:48 AM
24 Hours in London

Silenced revolvers anyone?

http://www.trashcity.org/BLITZ/BLIT1064.JPG

TheArchDuke
January 19, 2006, 05:31 AM
What I hate about movies the most is what someone has already mentioned. I hate how noisy the guns are when they're just being held. It's like all the parts on the gun are loose. Seriously, if someone in a movie raises a machine gun and aims it, it sounds like they just shook a can full of nails.

R.O.F
January 19, 2006, 05:52 AM
Ahhh, I agree with the dude on gaurd duty who FINALLY cocks his weapon when he hears something suspicious. But, the only thing that peeves me is the scene in "La Patriot" or those viewers in America, "The Patriot" is the scene on the hillside at the semi-end where "Did the little boy die" bad guy is about to do in Mel. Watch the bayonet in slow mo, I realize all your hate-mail, but I thought it funny that it waves like a piece of spaghetti.

Janitor
January 19, 2006, 07:51 AM
But nothing can fire from being dropped or thrown unless the hammer IS cocked.
May arguably be a rare occurance, but a dropped, uncocked, loaded gun could fire. At least it could f it had no hammer block safety & no inertial firing pin. It would depend on a couple other things too though -

- Weight of the gun
- How high it's dropped from
- How hard the surface is that it's dropped on
- Did it fall directly on the hammer?

And of course ... are you having a miserably horrible day?

--
did you notice at one point the cylinder came out from the right side of the revolver as well? I distinctly remember that, cause i'm a lefty and would love that revolver :p
Went back and looked at that episode of "The Lost" last night- by Pooh! You're right! They have a left handed wheel gun! I'll bet that wasn't a mistake. I'll bet some evil ba###rd in Hawaii did it on purpose to make the lefties spend their days looking for that rare left handed J frame. :)

usp9
January 19, 2006, 09:25 AM
24 Hours in London

Silenced revolvers anyone?

http://www.trashcity.org/BLITZ/BLIT1064.JPG

It is possible to silence certain revolvers, however it is very implausable for a modern operator to use one. A wonderful HK is a much better choice.

KriegHund
January 19, 2006, 10:21 AM
I own no less than THREE autos that DO NOT lock open on the last round, they DO NOT have a hold-open device.

What are they? Alot of autos nowadays have the slide lock back. There are of course those that dont, im just curious as to what they are.

Janitor
January 19, 2006, 10:24 AM
What are they? Alot of autos nowadays have the slide lock back. There are of course those that dont, im just curious as to what they are.
IIRC - many European versions of semi autos we have here don't have slide locks.

nucstl1
January 19, 2006, 11:17 AM
I posted this experience in a previous post, but I was caught in the crossfire of a couple of gangbangers, and the form of the shooter in front of me stuck out. In typical hollywood fashion, he leaned out the passenger door, aimed, and started shooting with the gun cocked to the side....It was a scarry situation, but that fact that he was too stupid to use the sites was kinda funny.

Herself
January 19, 2006, 12:00 PM
But nothing can fire from being dropped or thrown unless the hammer IS cocked. To me, carrying a safed auto that's capable of being carried cocked-and-locked is alright, but leaving it that way sitting on a desk, table, counter, etc...around your home would be asking for that sort of mishap?
Only if it's got nothing to keep the firing pin from moving if the trigger hasn't been pressed, falls muzzle down, and has a weak spring in the firing pin. Or if the safety fails and the sear/hammer slips. (Another reason to not do your own "trigger job," IMO).

The little Stars I routinely carry have a safety that locks the hammer in place when on, and a strong firing pin spring. When in my purse, they're carried muzzle-down; and my purse, with gun in it, has taken a couple of trips to the floor :cuss:. No NDs yet -- which doesn't mean it isn't a very bad idea to drop it like that.

The movies have it wrong. Condition one carry a of semi-auto in good repair is not dangerous. Dropping them doesn't routinely set them off, especially not dropping them on the side as the movies are so fond of showing.

Leaving a SA semi-auto in condtion one on a counter or table is no more dangerous than leaving a loaded revolver or DA/DAO semi-auto there: okay if and only if you can still keep the weapon out of the hands of the irresponsible.

Which would include most actors!

In "Pulp Fiction," Samuel Jackson's gun is indeed a Star B or B Super with a nice plating job. A Star BM would have looked like a toy in his hand.

--Herself

mrmeval
January 19, 2006, 12:06 PM
I think there's a 12 shot pin fire that's slightly larger caliber. :-P

I know theres a 20 shot but not sure of the caliber. :-D

Im still looking for a 12 shot .45 cal revolver.

I know its out there, Ive seen e'm use it.

Stag

poppy
January 19, 2006, 01:18 PM
I never understood the silenced revolver. Not a movie, but there was a TV show this week staring Tom Sellick where one of the Baldwin brothers was a hit man carrying a silenced revolver.

It must be easier for the prop guys to slip a "silencer" onto a revolver barrel, rather than get a longer or threaded barrel for a pistol. Having said that though, I just finished a novel from a pretty good writer who had the bad guy carrying a silenced revolver.

Oh well, finding these flaws helps keep an old mind active. poppy

Manedwolf
January 19, 2006, 01:51 PM
I realize all your hate-mail, but I thought it funny that it waves like a piece of spaghetti.

Whenever a prop blade or any long object, like a prop gun, is to be used in stunts or close/fast action, it's generally a painted semi-hard rubber one that will bend if an actor falls on it. That's likely what it was.

Justin
January 19, 2006, 02:15 PM
I can recall people in a theater being annoyed at me for pointing out numerous times that 1911s can't be decocked with one hand because of the grip safety.

I'd have been annoyed at you, too.

"...you're going to burn in a very special level of Hell, a level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

-Shepard Book, Firefly

Working Man
January 19, 2006, 02:55 PM

I'm willing to bet a NAA mini 22Lr or Mag will if all chambers are loaded and it
hits right. That is if the hammer is not in a safety notched.

BigFatKen
January 19, 2006, 03:30 PM
Shaft goes to the wise old gunsmith who displays his silenced revolver by firing it. His right hand holds well, but his left hand is surrounding the flash gap. He "fires" and no hot gases burn his hand.

I wonder how many young men tried that trick (once)?

Carl N. Brown
January 19, 2006, 03:31 PM
Striker fired autos, especially the inexpensive (cheap) models or
even good ones worn or dirty, may fire when dropped since the sear
is usually free to move under inertia even with the safety applied
(most safeties only block trigger or disconnector bar movement).

A revolver with a silencer cannot be silent, but it can be partially
suppressed; the Class III dealers I have visited have silencers for
semi autos, bolt actions or single shots: I have never seen a
revolver silencer at a Class III dealer. I know they are common in
Hollywood prop departments.

Kharn
January 19, 2006, 03:36 PM
There is a certain Air Force training film series that has a "US servicemember" running around the woods with an AR in the following configuration for well over an hour (its a bunch of short films):
16" barrel
No bayonet lug
A2 upper
A2 stock
7.62x39 frankenmag prominently inserted into magazine well :scrutiny:

Kharn

geekWithA.45
January 19, 2006, 03:51 PM
The PeaceMaker:

When stealing the nukes, the badguys all target the sleeping soldiers with laser sights while the traitor hides out at the rear of the car. On the count of 3, all the bad guys shoot at once.

Apparently, there's no recoil or motion at all on this train, because the laser beams suddenly lance out from the holes in the back of the train car, following the bullet's path.

Visually very cool looking, until you know better.

thorn726
January 19, 2006, 07:08 PM
cant believe i slogged thru all that on my modem connect, but nobody mentioned
Poor White Trash

oh 2 great ones= first the revlover theat fires because it is sitting in a hot frying pan for 30 sec- then the kicker, the REvolver fires again!

later, woman Racks the Slide (they make the sound very loud) on another REvolver ! love it!

tons more gun stupidity in the movie.

eab
January 19, 2006, 07:22 PM
Striker fired autos, especially the inexpensive (cheap) models or
even good ones worn or dirty, may fire when dropped since the sear
is usually free to move under inertia even with the safety applied
(most safeties only block trigger or disconnector bar movement).

A revolver with a silencer cannot be silent, but it can be partially
suppressed; the Class III dealers I have visited have silencers for
semi autos, bolt actions or single shots: I have never seen a
revolver silencer at a Class III dealer. I know they are common in
Hollywood prop departments.

The only revolver that can be truely suppresed is the Nagent revolver.

Showen here: http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg102-e.htm

It has some special gas seal thing so that all the gasses go down the barrel and not out around the clinder so that it can be suppressed.

RecoilRob
January 19, 2006, 10:24 PM
Regarding drop fires....the stock Keltec P-11 WILL fire if dropped from 3 feet or higher on its' muzzle.

Installing a Wolff extra power FP spring takes the distance up to over 6 feet which makes the weapon pretty safe.

Not meaning to disparage the P-11. I carry one every day WITH a Wolff extra-power FP spring installed. Don't leave home without it!

wolf_from_wv
January 20, 2006, 12:29 AM
The only revolver that can be truely suppresed is the Nagent revolver.

Showen here: http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg102-e.htm

It has some special gas seal thing so that all the gasses go down the barrel and not out around the clinder so that it can be suppressed.

The bullet is loaded down inside the brass. I think when the hammer is cocked, the cylinder moves forward, sealing the gap.

X Who
January 20, 2006, 01:06 AM
Edited to add: It really gets me when any group of soldiers/militiamen/gangsters/police or whatever all stand in a circle around their target. They would all shoot each other if anybody started shooting.
Like in Gauntlet with Clint Eastwood driving a bus between lines of cops.

There was one Rambo, where he is shooting an M-60 clearly loaded with blanks. The floor was littered with them (the kind where the case has an extension where the bullet would be and a plug in the end).

Wasn't there a Dirty Harry movie where he chooses a .458 Winchester Magnum to shoot from one building to another? If nothing else, it was a poor choice.

VirgilCaine
January 20, 2006, 09:25 AM
Wasn't there a Dirty Harry movie where he chooses a .458 Winchester Magnum to shoot from one building to another? If nothing else, it was a poor choice.

It was maybe, I dunno...50 feet? But that's one of those short-range rounds isn't it?

IndianaDean
January 20, 2006, 09:44 AM
Speaking of Rambo (not actually a gun moment but I have to mention it) he also fires a rocket launcher from inside his helicopter with rescued GI's directly behind the rocket launcher.

No 5 foot blast out the back of the launcher.....

LJWebster1
January 20, 2006, 12:57 PM
Another possible CSI bad gun moment. In the episdoe last night, a guy fires a .22 caliber pistol, misses its target, goes through one side of an aluminum can and then stays in the can! I know 22s are not that big or powerful, but I would think it could probably go all the way through a soda can.

Inline_6
January 20, 2006, 01:08 PM
Another possible CSI bad gun moment. In the episdoe last night, a guy fires a .22 caliber pistol, misses its target, goes through one side of an aluminum can and then stays in the can! I know 22s are not that big or powerful, but I would think it could probably go all the way through a soda can.
:dunno: I have seen .223 stop or disentigrate in an empty coke can. Guess it depends on a lot of factors, but water and other liquids slow bullets in a hurry.

iapetus
January 20, 2006, 02:05 PM
Of course, if we're talking about the ability of different materials to stop (or not) bullets:

Isn't it funny how car doors provide perfect protection against all bullets, but any shots fired into the engine compartment will disable the car, while any shots fired into the trunk will cause the gas tank to explode...

And that bullet-proof vests are so reliable that no-one will think twice about shooting a friend wearing one in order to help his fake his death. Similarly, no-one is ever afraid to allow an enemy to shoot them in the chest while wearing a bullet-proof vest (e.g. so they can pretend to die, then supprise them later), and never worry that the armour will fail. or that the BG will shoot them in the head.

Justin
January 20, 2006, 02:44 PM

It's a good storytelling move. It tells you a lot about his character.

Templar223
January 20, 2006, 03:53 PM
Does anyone else find themselves counting shots fired by a character in hokey movies?

Just re-saw "The Thing" by John Carpenter. The doc has gone mad and is shooting from the hip with his J-frame S&W. Could have sworn it was a 5-shot model. Of course, he was firing it was the other characters approach the radio room where he was going berserk. When they cut to the doctor, he's still firing... and I'm counting. three... four... five.. six.. seven. Then he runs dry.

I laughed and turned to the GF and said, "that's a nice 7-shot revolver. I didn't know S&W made those in the 70's."

So pathetic. So typical of Hollyweird.

John

akodo
January 20, 2006, 04:44 PM
i taped that CSI last night. If you look carefully, there are multiple cans removed from that row. The show simply shows him when he finds it, does not show him looking at the through-and-through cans.

My compliant about that episode is how it implies that if the bullet were in better condition, they would be able to know exactly what gun (and from that, who) fired said bullet.

We, of course, know that such a task is absolutely bunk even if there were a database where everyone had to submit one fired bullet from each gun they own. You could only compare said bullet against other bullets used in crimes, and that is only helpful if the criminal forgets to do something like run a wire down the barrel and bang up the rifling a bit, or sell it to another criminal

MrAcheson
January 20, 2006, 05:24 PM
Watched a Custer movie a long time ago. At the final scene, Custer was using a buntline special-esque long barrel revolver. Taking careful aim, of course, by laying it over his left forearm. Powder burns, anyone.People actually did this in the old west. There was a technical term for it ("laying down" or something like that). Yes it did hurt and was one of the reasons for wearing leather roping cuffs.

with practice you can get pretty fast with a cowboy style gun, but, IMHO never fast enough to beat someone who has you dead to rights.:eek:Actually it isn't that hard to beat someone who has you dead to rights. Or at least get the first shot off. All you have to do is beat their reaction time. That is the key to a lot of hand-to-hand disarm techniques.

About the reaction time thing, in the Magnificent Seven Yule Brenner tests how fast the Kid's draw is. The first time he challenges the kid to draw before Yule can clap his hands. He can't do it, Then he tells the kid to try it, the kid has to clap his hands before Yule can draw. He can't do that either. The trick is that both times Yule is the first to act (he claps first and he draws first) so Yule always wins. The kid's reaction time gives Yule the edge.

Texas9
January 20, 2006, 05:41 PM
And this is considering that I haven't had time to read this entire post, but my shining moment of production stupidity was the (otherwise cool) remake of The Italian Job.

In the scene in the pawn shop, Edward Norton pulls his Sig to despose of the fence that's going to move the remainder of his gold. The camera goes to a close-up of the gun (from the end of the barrel roughly to Ed's elbow), where it shows Mr. Norton move the lever on the side of the Sig from Safe to Fire to Decock!!!!!!!!!!

Someone on that set had to think this foolish. Obviously not the powers that be.

c

PeteRR
January 20, 2006, 06:30 PM

It was in the original, Dirty Harry. He used it over iron sights to shoot from one roof top to another.

KriegHund
January 22, 2006, 10:55 PM
In the movie "Lord of War" nicholas cage does the "Brown Brown".

The powder mixed in woth the coke is finely crushed.

Should not the powder in a 7.62x39mm cartridge be little sticks? Or balls?

I recall opening up a wolf x39 and seeing little sticks of powder.

Firethorn
January 22, 2006, 11:39 PM
Should not the powder in a 7.62x39mm cartridge be little sticks? Or balls?

I recall opening up a wolf x39 and seeing little sticks of powder.

Generally yes. Unless it was a 'staged' round filled with crushed smokeless to impress people more(in movie explanation).

Compared with whole rounds flying through the air in anything but a comedy film, it's nothing. I mean, even loony toons get's it right.

KriegHund
January 22, 2006, 11:56 PM
Generally yes. Unless it was a 'staged' round filled with crushed smokeless to impress people more(in movie explanation).

Compared with whole rounds flying through the air in anything but a comedy film, it's nothing. I mean, even loony toons get's it right.

Truth on both accounts, i think :)

North Texan
January 23, 2006, 01:24 AM
There are several things that annoy me in many movies in general. Like guns so powerful they blow people backwards about 4 feet. Or those vicious hollow points that are so much more devastating than regular bullets. And then there's always the complete lack of recoil or muzzle rise. Then there were all those westerns about gunfighters, and yet you never saw anybody clean a gun......ever. Except for maybe the one scene on the Good, Bad, and Ugly.

In El Dorado, Mississippi's shotgun seemed to shoot a pattern a mile wide at 10 feet.

North by Northwest where the kid holds his ears in the restaruant before the shooting.

nyresq
January 23, 2006, 01:42 AM
It was in the original, Dirty Harry. He used it over iron sights to shoot from one roof top to another.

... and he also missed every shot..... at least they had the recoil down pretty well... ol' Clint seemed to rock pretty far back when he fired that thing...

jashobeam
January 23, 2006, 01:45 AM
In an episode of the first season of 24, an assassin is using a single-shot pistol (which I think was a Magnum Research Lone Eagle). In one scene, the gun is shown being breech loaded. A few minutes later, the assassin inserts a magazine into the pistol's grip.

lucky_fool
January 23, 2006, 01:49 AM
JesseJames already mentioned Hard Target with Van Damme, but I've got more from that one. I too was watching that in a theater full of Army buddies, on post no less, so these were met with pretty loud groans.

Not only is there enough fuse after Van Damme pulls the pin and lets the spoon fly for him to spit out a one-liner, shove the grenade down the BG's pants, kick him across the room, let the BG fumble in his pants for the grenade, and unscrew the fuse assembly before it blows. Once the BG gets the fuse assembly out and thinks he's safe a blue spark jumps from the detonator into the body of the grenade causing it to explode. :banghead:

Earlier in the movie a different BG is firing an M16 with M203 grenade launcher from a helicopter at Van Damme on horseback. The grenade explodes directly under the belly of the horse, which falls over then immediately gets up and runs away. Those grenades have a 5 meter kill radius! Can you say horseburgers, boys and girls? :banghead: again.

Fire4Effect
January 23, 2006, 02:28 AM
[SIZE="2"]Demolition Man. I guess Stallone is the only guy who can shoot well placed shots firing 2 pistols while flying horizontally through the air.

Desperado. The point of this movie is not how many rounds or rockets you can fire from your guitar case, but make sure you strike a good pose while doing it.

New Jack City. You can hit the entire New York Mafia while sitting backwards on a speeding motorcycle?

The Assasin. Antonio Banderas shooting point blank into the bullet proof glass inside the cab just to check it out.

The all time worst... The "A-team" series. the only ones ever in danger was possibly an innocent by-stander in the ditch as they drove by. :D

Fire4Effect
January 23, 2006, 02:40 AM
OH, one more. In Apocalypse Now when the incoming mortar round explodes right to Robert Duvall and he keeps on walking, shirtless, without a scratch.

ingram
January 23, 2006, 02:41 AM
Didn't read through all this, but did someone mention American History X?

The scene showing what Derek Vinyard did yo land himself in jail:

He picks up his pistol from his nightstand, runs outside and guns down 3 black males. He fires 17 shots before lockback, now I couldn't tell what gun it was, but I don't think any pistol is going to be able to fire 17 rounds without reloading. (Looked like a USP maybe someone else knows?)

He didn't have an extended mag either

Justin
January 23, 2006, 02:52 AM
There are a number of pistols capable of taking magazines that hold 17 or more rounds. The Glock 17 being one of them.

IIRC, though, he had a P85.

noresttill
January 23, 2006, 04:04 AM
my glock 17 is 17+1, I think para-ordinance has a Hi Cap 1911, but I dont know how much.

ingram
January 23, 2006, 04:08 AM
Oh ok my bad, I don't own handguns. Handguns are bad, I read all about it in Every Handgun is Pointed at You by Josh Sugarman at VPC.

No really tho, I read it for s*its and giggles.

jtward01
January 23, 2006, 06:33 AM
Of course, if we're talking about the ability of different materials to stop (or not) bullets:

Isn't it funny how car doors provide perfect protection against all bullets, but any shots fired into the engine compartment will disable the car, while any shots fired into the trunk will cause the gas tank to explode...

Odd you should mention this. MythBusters did an episode on these and it ran again yesterday.

First Jaima (the guy in the beret) fired five rounds from a .308 (nice group, too) into the side of a Cadillac. The rounds went through the fender, through the gas tank and out the fender on the other side. Lots of leaking gas, but no fire or explosion. Of course, had they used tracer or incendiary rounds the results might have been a bit different.

After the gas tank test they used about five or six rifles to fire into the driver's door of the same Caddy. After about 50 rounds they inspected the car. Plenty of the rounds had gone through both doors, so anyone sitting in the front seat would have been perforated repeatedly.

mbs357
January 23, 2006, 08:29 AM
Was once watching a movie on Sci-Fi channel, one of their originals I'm sure.
Something about a killer shark monster thing...
The main character is about to go under water to do something to help out the rest of the people...grabs a Glock and proclaims "This is all I'll need"
I can't remember if he fired it underwater or how well it performed.
I can only guess. :uhoh:

pittspilot
January 23, 2006, 10:13 PM
Okay, LOST is not a movie, but still.

1) Could someone supply me with a semi-auto round that will drop a rabid possessed polar bear in a single shot? BTW, nice shot!

2) Anyone notice the 10 round mags in the AK variants? Also, John Locke, the supposed gun expert, taking a handgun, and ignoring the multitude of rifles when they go wandering off into the jungle.

3) BTW, if I am stranded on an island with that doctor, he and I would have come to grief pretty soon. No way is he going to tell me that he gets to keep all the guns for my safety!

ghost squire
January 24, 2006, 12:11 AM
That scene in Art of War was semi-realistic. If you've ever seen that video of a state trooper emptying his magazine at a guy 5 feet away and missing you'll know what I'm talking about... people are ridiculously innacurate at close range.

mrmeval
January 24, 2006, 01:33 AM
1) .50BMG

2) +1

3) +1 Physician heal thyself after I beat thee senseless.

1) Could someone supply me with a semi-auto round that will drop a rabid possessed polar bear in a single shot? BTW, nice shot!

2) Anyone notice the 10 round mags in the AK variants? Also, John Locke, the supposed gun expert, taking a handgun, and ignoring the multitude of rifles when they go wandering off into the jungle.

3) BTW, if I am stranded on an island with that doctor, he and I would have come to grief pretty soon. No way is he going to tell me that he gets to keep all the guns for my safety!

Rob1035
January 24, 2006, 09:14 AM

sawyer fired multiple times iirc

was this season 1? I dont remember seeing any long guns, unless you meant in the drug runners plane

Manedwolf
January 24, 2006, 10:34 AM
Didn't read through all this, but did someone mention American History X?

The scene showing what Derek Vinyard did yo land himself in jail:

He picks up his pistol from his nightstand, runs outside and guns down 3 black males. He fires 17 shots before lockback, now I couldn't tell what gun it was, but I don't think any pistol is going to be able to fire 17 rounds without reloading. (Looked like a USP maybe someone else knows?)

He didn't have an extended mag either

The ubiquitous Beretta 92 and its Taurus 92 sibling can both use flushfit 17rd magazines as well. More if you want a bit of mag sticking out the bottom of the grip.

Manedwolf
January 24, 2006, 10:40 AM
The bullet is loaded down inside the brass. I think when the hammer is cocked, the cylinder moves forward, sealing the gap.

Which is why they're the C&R equivalent of a cheap inkjet printer. Yeah, the printer or pistol are $79, but the ink or ammo is going to cost you $$. :D

I think Fiocci makes Nagant, but it's an expensive specialty ammo and it has pretty weak ballistics.

merk
January 24, 2006, 10:55 AM
In Tombstone(love the movie) Val Kilmers character Doc Holiday(cant remember which scene exactly) and a few others confront the BG's in the standard Western confrontation. When the SHTF, Val Kilmer(with his sawed off double barrel shotgun) shoots one guy, then shoots another. The scene flashes to other people shooting other people for a second and then it flashes back to him for about a second shooting someone else with the shotgun.

Justin
January 24, 2006, 11:49 AM
The Art of War is one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

Inline_6
January 24, 2006, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by pittspilot

sawyer fired multiple times iirc

was this season 1? I dont remember seeing any long guns, unless you meant in the drug runners plane

Sawyer did fire multiple times, but with a 9mm Sig. Now even if the US Marshal was carrying +P+ rounds... I don't think a pissed off, full charge baby bear is gonna stop.. nevermind a polar bear.

There was an AK last week when they went off into the jungle to find Michael. And pittspilot, I thought the same thing... but that is Hollywood. I like the show Wanted on TNT, but they regularly go charging into bad places with just handguns, and so does the crew of 24, etc.

I did get the impression the "others" had older technology... the bearded guy was holding a Luger to Kate. Made me sick to think of them getting those Sigs, AK and even the old GI style 1911.

BTR
January 24, 2006, 12:58 PM
Was once watching a movie on Sci-Fi channel, one of their originals I'm sure.
Something about a killer shark monster thing...
The main character is about to go under water to do something to help out the rest of the people...grabs a Glock and proclaims "This is all I'll need"
I can't remember if he fired it underwater or how well it performed.
I can only guess. :uhoh:

9mm Glock pistols can shoot underwater. Mods can be done to the gun so they do it more efficiently.

pete f
January 24, 2006, 02:02 PM
The original 48 hrs movie with nick nolte and Eddie Murphy. shoot out in the hotel, nolte gets off at least fifteen rounds out of a 4 inch modle 29. then reloads with a speed loader and gets off another 10.

Nolte is forced to give up his gun and begs another officer for a new one, the guy reaches in a drawer and hands Nolte a 1911, and TWO SPEED LOADERS for it. Nolte just stuffs the 1911 into the same shoulder holster as he used for his model 29

later in the movie, nolte shoots murphy in the shoulder while he is being held by the BG Gahns,and blood pours out the wound, meaning an arterial hit and they show murphy alive on hte gurney sometime later.

Any movie where the BG just uses a SMG to sweep across the good guys like he is washing dirt off the lawn. starting on the right and hosing to the left.

Good scene was ancient movie where james caan and alan arkin as dysfunctional partners are going to kill a BG in the bathroom of a bowling alley, upon seeing the wall to wall tile, caan and arkin take the time to put in ear plugs before opening fire.

As mention with the series Cannon, any old time detective show, 5-0, mannix Kojak cannon, barnaby jones, etc, bad guy wih "sniper rifle" or SMG and multiple misses with clear chance and the element of surprise,
good guy one shot from the hip with a det spl. or a chiefs, and a dead bad guy or wounded bad guy, depending on the shows need, Cannon when 325 pound+ robert conrad would lean against a wall to reduce his target area when bad guy was shooting.....robert conrad running at age 60 weighing 325++ robert conrad chasing down a big block nova in his smog sled 1978 lincoln continental MKIV , any car chase with a mercedes or a BMW versus a four door GM or Ford sedan and the American beast keeps up, or gets away from the foreign car.

Tequila_Sauer
January 24, 2006, 02:13 PM
This thread could use some positive moments in a firearm movie. Something you weren't expecting to see, but when it happened, you were shocked at it's accuracy or realism.

Inline_6
January 24, 2006, 02:29 PM
This thread could use some positive moments in a firearm movie. Something you weren't expecting to see, but when it happened, you were shocked at it's accuracy or realism.
Okay. In the movie Navy SEALs (circa 1990) when they are in the alley... three of them start getting shot at and return fire. Only they all squat down one behind the other. The first guy in line empties his weapon and rolls to the side, then the next guy takes over and so on.

Peacemaker when Clooney's character pushes the muzzle of his M9 through the hole in the bullet-resistant glass to cap a bad guy.

Some of Seagal's earlier work... the shoot out in the mall where he runs a 1911 dry and pulls out a second 1911 instead of reloading.

mbs357
January 24, 2006, 02:36 PM
9mm Glock pistols can shoot underwater. Mods can be done to the gun so they do it more efficiently.
Of course they can, that should be common knowledge.
Another common fact: The bullet wont be going very fast.
So slow that you should be able to step out of it's way.

In Hot Shots Part Deux I was incredibly shocked to learn that nearly everyone in the movie had excellent trigger discipline.
(Fingers along frames and otherwise outside of the trigger guard completely when not firing.)

Inline_6
January 24, 2006, 03:00 PM
In Hot Shots Part Deux I was incredibly shocked to learn that nearly everyone in the movie had excellent trigger discipline.
(Fingers along frames and otherwise outside of the trigger guard completely when not firing.)
LOL! That's bcz the movie is a parody. They are making fun of hollywood and it's films, so in the case of trigger discipline they actually have to do it correctly. :D

mbs357
January 24, 2006, 03:07 PM
Haha, that's a good way of looking at it.
Man those movies rule.
One of my favorite parody scenes is Robert Stack kung fu fighting his way to the tower in Airplane!
Something about serious actors playing hilarious roles makes them...hilarious.

Oh yea, gun talk.
Guns guns!

engineer151515
January 24, 2006, 03:50 PM
Here's one. Not inaccurate. Just quirky.

Ghost Ship. Bad guys have taken over the ship. Get to the gold. The one bad guy (with the Italian singer) turns on the others with his SMG. He pulls the trigger a little early and sends four or five rounds into the fender of the car to his left before he gets the barrel directed properly. I always wondered why the storyline bothered with shooting that car? BTW - were the bullet holes still there when the car was rediscovered years later? I'll have to check next time.

noresttill
January 24, 2006, 05:54 PM
again, not wrong, but silly

I was watching Men In Black 1 (I realize its not Black Hawk Down) and when the "bug's" van is getting towed he pulls a shotgun on the tow truck driver. The driver flashes what looks like an anaconda out of his coveralls, says "Please" or "Give me a break," and then turns his back to the bug and goes on hooking up the van.

No wonder the next cut is a gunshot and the bug walking away with both guns.

Stevie-Ray
January 24, 2006, 10:44 PM
Okay, never once watched the show, but while chanel surfing last night I catch a horrib little "Me Too!" cop drama called NCIS. I wtahced it for exactly one scene:

Hot Chick Agent and Young Hip Male Agent (she in a Prada pant-suit he in Ohio State t-shirt and jacket) have broken into a house, warrantless, and triggered the alarm... and are calmly "hacking" into the suspects computer. :barf:

Barney Fife rural cop enters, levels his revolver at them and demands they produce ID. They say they're Feds, he doesn't by it. He makes them cuff themselves. Stepping closer once they've cuffed themselves, Hot Chick Agent (who picked her handcuffs in 2.5 seconds) judo flips Barney to the ground, disarms him, and presses her gun into his chest! :eek:

Her finger on the trigger!
That is probably accurate, as the hot chick is a former Mossad agent, and somebody that is used to "interrogation techniques" probably doesn't give a rip about gun safety for somebody she's just taken down. NCIS is probably the second best show on TV.

I don't know where he's getting it or what it is, but I think Segal is recreating with some interesting chemical substances.You mean like chocolate milkshakes and pizza?

Oh and BTW, Cannon was William Conrad, not Robert

mbs357
January 25, 2006, 12:04 AM
Counter Strike isn't a movie, but this is a horrible blunder (not counting the poor ballistics, and gun handling in general).

All the guns in CS (Well, a great deal of them) are backwards.
Ejection ports on the left side for nearly every gun.
And this is intentional. The develepors HAVE to know that they're backwards.
But I guess they think that this side is 'more exciting' or something.
:banghead:
Brass is constantly flying in your face, and the character whips that AWM around real good with his right hand while the left hand works the bolt on the left side.

Of course, if you're playing left handed, everything's hunky doory. ;D

KriegHund
January 25, 2006, 12:37 AM
Counter Strike isn't a movie, but this is a horrible blunder (not counting the poor ballistics, and gun handling in general).

All the guns in CS (Well, a great deal of them) are backwards.
Ejection ports on the left side for nearly every gun.
And this is intentional. The develepors HAVE to know that they're backwards.
But I guess they think that this side is 'more exciting' or something.
:banghead:
Brass is constantly flying in your face, and the character whips that AWM around real good with his right hand while the left hand works the bolt on the left side.

Of course, if you're playing left handed, everything's hunky doory. ;D

Thats a rediculous game. I tried it once and hated it.

Vastly prefer Delta Force 2, or Rogue Spear.

mbs357
January 25, 2006, 08:33 AM
Infiltration was an amazing game...most realistic one I've ever seen.
For the original Unreal Tournament engine.
Unfortunatly, the mod seems pretty much dead now.
You can get UT for pretty cheap, I'm sure, and try Infiltration if you want, but I doubt you'll find any servers to play on. There are bots built into the game though.
Another bad thing about about Counter Strike...you have to crouch perfectly still to get one accurate shot off. Fire once, bam, good hit...but then if you fire again you go wide about 20 feet...
Don't try to fire while walking either. Aim at a doorway and hit the floor near your feet. This is true unless you're using the Desert Eagle or the AWM. Two guns I believe the developers have purposed "ubar'd!!1" just because they like them. They're the two most accurate and powerful guns in the game.
I could go on for days about this game.

Talonap
January 25, 2006, 11:03 AM
Actually it goes like this... Gibson aims his laser at something metal (completely rusted and not reflective, maybe the shovel to a backhoe)behind the BG and the laser reflects down and back onto the BG's butt who is bent over taking cover. First of all, the laser itself wouldnt have reflected down in this way. But the point you make, LawDog, remains. The chances of a bullet following the reflection of a laser are a million to one.

-Dev

Actually, they did this in, "Total Recall". No one got shot, and to make matters worse, they were all shooting at a Hologram of Arnold:banghead: !!!

Jack Straw from Wichita
January 25, 2006, 06:17 PM
Not a movie, but an old Isuzu TV commercial:

"Joe Isuzu" picks up a revolver, fires it, hops in his Isuzu, races ahead of the bullet, stops the car, and catches the bullet with his teeth. Apart from the intentional absurdity of an Isuzu outrunning a bullet, the ad depicted an entire unfired cartridge flying downrange.

-Jack

Meplat
January 27, 2006, 01:33 AM
That was the background that Zaitsev and Hathcock came from, and I believe Hayek the Finn did as well.

Lest we forget, there was once a conscientious objector who overcame his objections and who went on to be one of WWI's greatest warriors. Grew up shooting wild turkeys on he wing through the head with a rifle, then carried that skill to Germany. Tennessee hillbilly.

Anyone remember a feller by the name of "York"?

Meplat
January 27, 2006, 02:17 AM
Whoever mentioned busting locks... the key is to shoot down on the lock, not directly at it. A 158 grain .357 mag will bust a masterlock. I've seen it done. (though I don't have the cajones to try it myself)

Honestly don't know about shooting a Master Lock off, but a good swipe with a hammer will do it easy as pie. We had one field, catfish pond in the back, fallow year. Fellow wanted to run some cattle on it, Dad said "NP", wasn't going to plant there that year anyway. Guy gives Dad some small pittance (hell, he'd have let him run them there anyway for the free fertilzer they'd distribute for the next year's crops). Next thing you know, I get ready to go fishing, gate has been padlocked. Dad fixed that with a clawhammer. One good (as you say) downward stroke. Next day, new lock on the gate. Dad waited for the guy to show up, explained he had allowed him to run his cows on his place....not sold it to him for twenty bucks. As the fellow was getting out of his truck to unlock the gate, Dad took said trusty claw hammer, popped the second lock, handed it to him, gave his twenty back and told him to have his cows off the place by weeks' end. Think the feller's jaw is still hanging open. But, his cattle were gone...

Meplat
January 27, 2006, 02:40 AM
I never understood the silenced revolver. Not a movie, but there was a TV show this week staring Tom Sellick where one of the Baldwin brothers was a hit man carrying a silenced revolver.

It must be easier for the prop guys to slip a "silencer" onto a revolver barrel, rather than get a longer or threaded barrel for a pistol. Having said that though, I just finished a novel from a pretty good writer who had the bad guy carrying a silenced revolver.

For the record, Dan Wesson revolvers (due to their interchangable barrel configuration and very minimal chamber to forcing cone tolerances can be effecitvely suppressed. If I am not mistaken, there is one other (not common) Russian made revolver with close enough tolerances to make this possible. If you don't see the cylinder latch in front of the cylinder on a suppressed revolver, get yer ear muffs on. Things are going to be loud when the trigger's pulled.:eek:

Meplat
January 27, 2006, 02:51 AM
After the gas tank test they used about five or six rifles to fire into the driver's door of the same Caddy. After about 50 rounds they inspected the car. Plenty of the rounds had gone through both doors, so anyone sitting in the front seat would have been perforated repeatedly.

MythBusters did a follow-up to that show, because so many people complained that they should have been using the everyday tracer rounds like you and I buy "over the counter" at the local Wal-Mart. They fired three (I think I remember that correctly) thirty round magazines into a full dismounted gas tank, and nada. The tank was by this time, as you can imagine, pretty well perforated and depleted of fuel (and I would guess full of fumes). Finally, on the last mag fired, since the shooter was having to aim so low to hit tank that still held fuel, a round struck the concrete pad the tank was sitting on, throwing enough of a spark to ingnite the fumes. Nothing too spectacular, but with perserverance they DID manage to start a small blaze big enough to perhaps roast a steak on.

iapetus
January 27, 2006, 06:18 PM
Has anyone seen Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit? I haven't, but according to the ChildCare Action Project (http://www.capalert.com/capreports/wallacegromitcurse.htm), it contains an unacceptable level of gun violence.

Soes anyone know if this is realistic gun violence? (I don't know much about the ballistic properties of plasticine myself).

bowfin
January 27, 2006, 06:25 PM
I vote for the gunslinger's shadow in "The Quick and the Dead" that had sunshine coming through the bullet hole.

kentucky_smith
January 27, 2006, 06:33 PM
MythBusters .... DID manage to start a small blaze big enough to perhaps roast a steak on.

That can't be right, just last night in the movie Sharky's Machine, the bad guy Burt Reynolds is chasing in the beginning shoots an unmarked cop car through the hood and sets it on fire. :D

bowfin
January 27, 2006, 06:34 PM
Oh, and any movie that shows a 747 Jumbo jet losing half of its fuselage from decompression when a .38 special bullet hits punches a hole through it.

FPrice
January 27, 2006, 10:31 PM
Has anyone seen Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit? I haven't, but according to the ChildCare Action Project (http://www.capalert.com/capreports/wallacegromitcurse.htm), it contains an unacceptable level of gun violence.

Soes anyone know if this is realistic gun violence? (I don't know much about the ballistic properties of plasticine myself).

My son and I are Wallace and Gromit fans. The "bad" guy had a SG that looked like a bolt action Mossberg rifle. There is hardly any "gun violence" to speak of (especially from an avid gun-owner's POV). Remember that part of the werewolf legend concerns killing said monster by use of a silver bullet. I have a feeling that whomever reported "an unacceptable level of gun violence" may very well consider the mere existence of a gun as unacceptable.

zookrider
January 28, 2006, 12:07 AM
Can't believe nobodies has mentioned Super Troopers when the guy shot his steel cup wearing partner in the groin. I've taken a softball in the cup and it's enough to make a grown man cry.

Fire4Effect
January 28, 2006, 07:45 AM
In the movie My Blue Heaven when Rick Moranis (the FBI agent) drops a big chandelier on the bad guys with one shot from his trusty .38 revolver from across the bar

Fire4Effect
January 28, 2006, 07:49 AM
My favorite gun scene in a movie is still Harlem Nights when the 4 hit men are shooting up the store front trying to hit Eddie Murphy. 3 bad guys are using Thompson's and every time they stop shooting the 4th guy squeezes off a couple of shots from his .22 pistol, further aggravating his partners... :D

45Frank
January 28, 2006, 12:15 PM
Had to responde to this one.
Two bad ones come to mind. First is i don't recall his name the guy who sang the song about the card game, no when to hold them or something like that.
He was stuck in a cabin and his gun didn't work so he took the bullets and but them into the holes in the door that the indians were shooting at and he was opening and closing the door for his aim and hitting the bullets with i think a whiskey bottle or something and hit every indian that was charging and they turned and ran. :cuss:

The second was Barnaby Jones he hit a sniper from about a 600 feet on top of a football stadium with a snubnose after the sniper missed him and he rolled over and shot from the ground and he was about 65 then.:evil:

VirgilCaine
January 28, 2006, 04:19 PM

Aren't there single stack mags that hold only 10 rounds or something but look as big as the 30 rounders?
Couldn't the prop department get some of those and not look like total maroons with their tiny mags for the multinational corporate magnates project...

VirgilCaine
January 28, 2006, 04:24 PM
For the record, Dan Wesson revolvers (due to their interchangable barrel configuration and very minimal chamber to forcing cone tolerances can be effecitvely suppressed. If I am not mistaken, there is one other (not common) Russian made revolver with close enough tolerances to make this possible.

Yes, it's called the Nagant. Not that uncommon. This is the first time I've heard from someone who might actually know something about guns that there are revolvers other than the Nagant that can be silenced.

VirgilCaine
January 28, 2006, 04:35 PM
And that bullet-proof vests are so reliable that no-one will think twice about shooting a friend wearing one in order to help his fake his death. Similarly, no-one is ever afraid to allow an enemy to shoot them in the chest while wearing a bullet-proof vest (e.g. so they can pretend to die, then supprise them later), and never worry that the armour will fail. or that the BG will shoot them in the head.

AFAIK, in the real world, if you are shot a couple times in a decent vest, you aren't going to die or have the armor fail. If you just got through a firefight and the vest caught multiple shots, okay. But if you haven't been shot at all, I wouldn't expect a vest to fail.

Offwhite
January 28, 2006, 05:43 PM
In the 1985 movie The Last Dragon, the hero Leroy, is fighting with the crazy little bald white guy in the warehouse, I think his name was Eddie Arcadia or something, and at the end his says something corny & fires what I think I remember as a 1911 style .45, big flash, big boom, all that hollywood crap, at Leroy's head. At which time he spins around like he's been shot in the head. When Eddie walks up to him & turns him over Leroy opens up his eyes & then smiles & he is holding the bullet in between his teeth.

There is a couple of things wrong with this 1)The bullet would have blow the back of his head off (or at the least left a nice little hole). There is no earthly way he could have stopped it. 2)when he opens his mouth & shows the bullet, if my memory serves me correctly,the bullet is still in the casing. WOW, big f-up. 3)I thought the casing said 9mm & I thought that it was supposed to be a .45 (God knows the the barrel opeing was large enough to shoot a canon.

I am not too sure about the bullet being in the casing & I doubt anyone has that movie to check... I am actually kind of embarassed to admit that I've even see that movie.

Razor
January 28, 2006, 10:39 PM
There is a couple of things wrong with this 1)The bullet would have blow the back of his head off (or at the least left a nice little hole). There is no earthly way he could have stopped it.

But...Leroy had The Glow.

If you enjoyed reading about "WORST firearm moment in a movie" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!