Dept. of Vet's Affairs to Subsidize My 'Gun Addiction'

PDA

XLMiguel
June 28, 2005, 08:23 PM
I just got word that after 6 1/2 years, the DVA has allowed my appleal regarding my claim of a service-related injury. Sometime in the next 60-90 days I should hear from them regarding disability compenstion for the ankle I trashed while in the service, and that has been problematic ever since. The compensation payment will be back-dated from the time I made the claim (12/98) or possibly from the time I separtaed from the Service (9/73). It should be a pretty nice check, or possibly a really nice check.

Needless to say, there will likely be a new addition or two to the gun and ammo lockers. So much for the firearm content.

The reason I'm posting this is not to revel in the settlement (though I'm mighty happy and relieved:D), but rather to offer a bit of advice to fellow Vet's, and particularly to the guys and gals on active duty:

==>Get a copy of your military medical records and review them thoroughly!! Do it regularly, especially when you ETS, and be adamant about getting any errors corrected on the spot!

The reason my claim took 6.5+ years is because at the time of the injury, the Army Dr. documented it incorrectly. I severly sprained my right ankle in Basic training, but the doc wrote it down as my left (it's a fairly common error). When I put in my claim it bounced because it was for my right ankle, but their records showed it was my left ankle (I've never had a problem with my left), and let me tell you about trying to change or amend 'official' records. :barf:

Fortunately(?), I had a couple of susequent injuries to my right ankle while still in the Service, which helped establish a pattern, and I have pretty good records of problems with my right ankle and related treatments over the ensuing years, but it has taken a ton of correspondence (I have a binder 2+" thick-), doctor's statements, hospital records, affadavits from family and guys I was in the service with documenting the fact that I have had no problems with my left, but bunces of problems with my right. Not to mention industial quantities of ant-acids and Preparation H (I don't want to take a shot at the DVA, because they are badly underfunded and understaffed, but they are not fun to deal with) in the process. I won't bore you all with the details of the problems I've had, but they haven't enhanced my overall quality of life :rolleyes: .

I don't view this as a 'windfall'. I don't know how I'll be rated or what the comp will be (20-30%?), it's not a huge amount, but it's a benefit I earned with my service, so if you have served or are currently serving, please pay attention to this, it can make a difference later in life in a lot of ways (too soon old, too late smart-).

If you enjoyed reading about "Dept. of Vet's Affairs to Subsidize My 'Gun Addiction'" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
If you enjoyed reading about "Dept. of Vet's Affairs to Subsidize My 'Gun Addiction'" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!