Anyone here carry mexi-style?

PDA

joey93turbo
June 28, 2005, 07:36 PM
I'm having a hell of a time deciding which gun I want to carry, and I can't try holsters until I decide. I've been carrying my P226R mexi style in the small of my back for the last week, just wondering if anyone carries like this on a regular basis?

Maybe tomorrow I'll carry the Anaconda haha "Hey Joey, what's that in your pants?" :neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone here carry mexi-style?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MoeMentum
June 28, 2005, 08:03 PM
A friend of mine did, until it came clanking out on a crowded sidewalk, and almost caused a panic.

PAC 762
June 28, 2005, 10:09 PM
I do with a pocket clip on my P32. I also used to have a P40 with a clip as well.

I bought a 1911 clip draw as well, but don't use it often due to the possibility of the safety swiping off and the fact that it's a little heavy for use w/o a holster.

TechBrute
June 28, 2005, 10:11 PM
Look at it this way...

You can learn from all the other people whose guns have gone scooting down the sidewalk, or you can do it yourself.

Cacique500
June 28, 2005, 10:15 PM
As long as your not a plumber... :uhoh:

Stickjockey
June 28, 2005, 11:21 PM
I started out Mexi-style. It lasted all of a couple weeks until I couldn't handle that "If I need it in a hurry, it's gonna be about 180 degrees from where I put it, if it's there at all" feeling anymore.

Went IWB for a while, but the holster I had kept pushing the safety lever off so I did some shopping. One guy (at Sportsman's Warehouse, of all places) reccommended the Galco "Fletch" OWB holster, and wouldn't you know it, it works just great.

I think it's another case of just pick one you like, then try holsters until you find one that works. I do know that if you keep them in relatively resellable condition, SW has a decent return policy so you can take the ones you don't like back. If you don't want to deal with the Box O' Holsters when you're done, that is.

Standing Wolf
June 28, 2005, 11:21 PM
I still don't have quite enough belly to hold it securely that way.

stevelyn
June 28, 2005, 11:45 PM
Some folks have an issue with carrying a pistol cocked and locked.
Some have an issue with pistols that have no manual safety.
I have an issue with stuffing a pistol in my pants without substantial leather to cover the trigger.

Blue Jays
June 29, 2005, 01:06 AM
Hi joey93turbo-

Stop carrying "Mexican-style" immediately. It is silly, unprofessional, thug-like, and gives all pro-RKBA folks a bad name. There are so many carrying options that you're bound to find one that works for you.

~ Blue Jays ~

medmo
June 29, 2005, 01:27 AM
Bad bad idea. Just stop. Eventually the pistol will drop. It is a bad feeling when you realize it is your pistol skidding towards the bananas in the produce department when grocery shopping. That was the last day I ever completed that act of stupidity.

Bwana John
June 29, 2005, 02:02 AM
I sometimes carry my M1911 "SuperMex" or "Tuco" style, tucked into my pants under my untucked shirt, clipped to a long paracord lanyard that is looped around my neck.

Pistol is in condition 3.

Dirt cheap, relitivly stealthy, a little slow, but very retainable.

I have some very nice leather which I also wear, but this way I can quickly grab a pistol and stuff it into my pants without worrying about belts or holsters.

BigSlick
June 29, 2005, 02:04 AM
Only once.

The grips weren't hot after a mag thru it, so not thinking about it I stuffed it im my waistband. The barrel was DEFINITELY hot after a mag thru it.

I nearly burned my nads. Trust me when I say, that isn't the least bit humorous.

Milt Sparks IWB Summer Special fits the bill nicely, or for winter Safariland OWB with thumb break for cocked and locked.

Both have lasted for years without any problems at all. I can almost forget the gun is on my belt with the MSSS.

Best advice is to buy a decent holster. Cheaping out on a holster will end up with you having a box full of crappy holsters.

You don't have to spends hundreds or wait months for a good holster, but if that's to your liking, that's a good choice too.

I have found that most gunshops will let you bring your weapon and try a few holsters on for fit and comfort. Some don't, so call ahead.

Good luck with it

BigSlick

Moonclip
June 29, 2005, 02:55 AM
I'm doing it right now as I respond to this thread, a Colt 1991A1 in condition 2. I do not regularly do this though, just around the house on rare occasion. The police helicopter was shining it's light uncomfortably close to my house and backyard and I just wanted something handy in case whoever they were chasing tried to break in to or hide in my house.

I can't help using Mexican carry, after all I'm mostly of Mexican heritage! But seriously I really do not reccomend it, seen to many cases of guns slipping down pant legs. I knew a guy at a gun shop,a non Mexican BTW, who used to Mexican carry a Glock which I thought was especially unsafe and sort of odd.

Lone_Gunman
June 29, 2005, 07:31 AM
Mexican carry is illegal in Georgia, even if you have a firearms permit.

Andrew Rothman
June 29, 2005, 11:35 AM
And strangely enough, Georgian Carry is illegal in Mexico.

:D

pete f
June 29, 2005, 06:31 PM
nope never, even tho my wife has my equipment on a temporary sabbatical, I do wish to keep it around until she decides that i have been punished enough.

having heard the story (and seen the ER photos) of a guy in a hurry who after hearing a noise and going to investigate saw someone breaking into his garage. after trying to manipulate his phone one handed he jammed his cocked model 19 into his pants to make the 911 call. either his finger was still on the trigger or the seam of the belt loop was strong enough to trip the trigger, he was not quite sure, but what was sure was that he would be called "lefty" for a long time. The fun part of his manhood also suffered a serious deformation.

nope I wish to keep the barrel pointed AWAY from that which i do not want to destroy

Zach S
June 29, 2005, 08:52 PM
Only at home after I get off work. Outside of the house I always use a holster.

Burt Blade
June 29, 2005, 11:30 PM
I know a fellow that stuffed a pistol in his waistband, and shot himself in the penis. It was a .22 with a light "target" trigger. He also neglected to use the safety. Thrusting the gun in his waistband was followed by the shock of his life. Try explaining that stunt to the medics, police, wife, or anyone else for that matter.

To his credit, he was tough enough to drive himself to the hospital immediately after he shot himself.

If your firearm does not have a safety, or has the Glock-style safety on the trigger, or even if you just forget to use the safety, you could easily put a bullet in yourself by thrusting a loaded gun in a waistband or pocket, if anything gets inside the trigger guard. Most holsters tend to protect the trigger from such events better than the top of your trousers and your Dunlop. If you must carry this way, perhaps in some place where you might need to become "clean" in a hurry, make sure you use both hands to "holster" the gun. Use the off hand to hold the belt and trousers away from your body, then place the gun inside the waistband. This helps keep things out of the trigger guard.

I am always amused when folks buy a $700 gun, and ammo at over a dollar a round, but go ultra cheapo on the belt and holster. It is like putting $20 tires on your 400 horsepower muscle car.

Gewehr98
June 29, 2005, 11:36 PM
In basically the same place as my Officer's ACP rides when in the Milt Sparks Summer Special. Never had a problem, but then again, I keep my penis out of the trigger guard, too. Rather self-critiquing, all things considered. ;)

DonNikmare
June 30, 2005, 12:30 AM
You should only do it if you have a good "plumer's crack" that provides a snug holster/crack to gun fit.

To test the fit shove it in there & stand on your head. If it stays put without too much buttal tension, you are good to go.

If you have excessive tightness, try the plastic bag fix. If that's not enough, try the plastic bag fix with some "Happy Hiney" (In severe case, try Preperation H)
http://tinypic.com/6ia03r

Ok, I've degraded this thread enough...seriously though I have no experience carrying but I would not do mexican style outside my home and even then only breifly.

Nik

megatronrules
June 30, 2005, 12:54 AM
I tried to mexican carry once a few years back with a Glock 19 I had at the time. Yes I had a good leather iwb rig for it but was to lazy to put it on,I just shoved the Glock into the waistband of my jeans. As I was getting into my friend's camaro and sitting down all I heard was CLICK! She looks at me and says "what the hell was that?" The saving grace was I haden't chambered a round in the Glock thank god!,or I would have had a 9MM+P hollow point through my leg. Don't do mexican carry to me its unsafe and not worth the risk of shooting yourself or someone else.

Nick_90
June 30, 2005, 05:14 AM
Mexican carry is extremely dangerous for obvious reasons. Moreover, it would look very bad to a jury should you have to use your gun for some reason. Whatever, never carry without a holster except in the most extreme circumstances.

c_yeager
June 30, 2005, 05:22 AM
Just met a guy last week that blew off his big toe trying this method (note: he was ALSO an idiot in general by all accounts). THe only time i have ever done this is on the rare occasion that i need to go outside to my car/yard in the dead of night.

JGReed
June 30, 2005, 09:06 AM
As the owner of a badly ding'ed up Colt Officer's model, I would recommend strongly against the Clip Draw or mexican carry in general. I'm sure the expressions of those driving by as I chased my gun across the intersection were priceless.

Stickjockey
June 30, 2005, 09:09 AM
You should only do it if you have a good "plumer's crack" that provides a snug holster/crack to gun fit.

Shades of the "Carry in a Nudist Colony" thread! :eek:

Amish_Bill
June 30, 2005, 11:56 AM
A buddy used to .... until he shot himself in the butt. :uhoh:

bosshoff
June 30, 2005, 01:07 PM
I think most people think when they see a gun in a "holster" that the person is either a cop, security guard, or some other LEGAL holder of a firearm. Most people when they see a "naked" firearm tucked into a waistband think "criminal", "gang banger", or other assorted hoodlum. I would think in a carry state, a holster would cause many fewer problems from sheeple.

ChickenHawk
June 30, 2005, 01:18 PM
If you carry with the gun in the small of your back and manage to fall over backwards flat on it you might very possibly do damage which will put you in a wheelchair.

Get a decent holster.

Cheers,
ChickenHawk

Lone_Gunman
June 30, 2005, 01:41 PM
If you carry with the gun in the small of your back and manage to fall over backwards flat on it you might very possibly do damage which will put you in a wheelchair.

I am not sure the anatomy that would be involved with that injury. The spinal cord ends above the level where a gun would be placed in the small of the back, and the nerves going to the legs have already turned anteriorly.

You could fracture your lumbar spine or sacrum, but I don't think this would be likely to cause cord or nerve injury.

OF
June 30, 2005, 01:48 PM
I sometimes carry my M1911 "SuperMex" or "Tuco" style, tucked into my pants under my untucked shirt, clipped to a long paracord lanyard that is looped around my neck.Now there's something new...

Blue Jays
June 30, 2005, 03:15 PM
Hi GRD-

I'm going to run some paracord through the lanyard hole on my HK P7M10 and dangle it around my neck for the rest of the afternoon. I'll be sure to let y'all know how comfy it is to have a couple pounds of steel as jewelry!

~ Blue Jays ~

ChickenHawk
June 30, 2005, 05:25 PM
I am not sure the anatomy that would be involved with that injury. The spinal cord ends above the level where a gun would be placed in the small of the back, and the nerves going to the legs have already turned anteriorly.
Fair enough, I got the details wrong.

But, I just heard a story just like this in my CHL renewal class which I happened to take yesterday. I guess the Instructor (Police Officer) might have made it up, but he didn't strike me as the type who would do that just to make a point.

YMMV, I guess! :o

ChickenHawk

TechBrute
June 30, 2005, 05:51 PM
That whole SOB thing is posted on Milt Sparks' website as his excuse why he won't make SOB holsters. I'm pretty sure it all eminated from there. Somehow, because he knows about making leather holsters, he's some sort of authority on anatomy, too.

lunaslide
June 30, 2005, 06:54 PM
I'm sure by now you know that carrying Mexi style is dangerous. Others have pointed that out well enough by now :neener:

There are soft leather holsters out there that will tide you over till you decide on your final carry piece. Something like the Fits-all IWB or the IWB Sheepskin Clip here (http://www.gokart.net/cgi-bin/store.cgi/kramer?page=/index1.html&cart_id=%%cart_id%%) can handle your P226R until you get a holster for your preferred carry piece. Then, once you have your chosen gun and holster for carry, this holster will work with just about any firearm of reasonable size if you want to carry something else for the day or are trying out a new gun at the range.

When you do get your preferred carry piece, I recommend getting a molded leather or Kydex for your specific gun. It will be more comfortable and have better retention than a generic holster.

torpid
June 30, 2005, 06:56 PM
Where's the love for "under the hat" carry?

boing
June 30, 2005, 07:11 PM
Milt Sparks doesn't post any of his excuses on his website, because he's been dead for some time now.

Like so many other things people hyper-ventilate about, Mexican carry requires a modicum of common sense...you know, just like carrying a gun in the first place. Know the limitations of the method, and act accordingly.

Retention is generally poor, depending on the type of gun and the type of body carrying it. Trigger protection is also very poor, so don't go carrying cocked model 19s or chambered Glocks or target .22s.

My biggest problem with Mexican carry is that by carrying in a way that addresses those two issues, I lose easy accessibility to the gun. Sometimes it's worth it, sometimes it's not. A little common sense goes a long way.

I prefer carrying in a holster.

MountainPeak
June 30, 2005, 07:54 PM
If one is "outed", I would rather it be "are you happy to see me", than "what's that lump in the back of your pants"? Just one man's opinion! :D

Veen
June 30, 2005, 09:38 PM
For those of you who did send a firearm bouncing off the pavement in public, I'd like to know exactly how you diffused that situation without getting the police called on you.

JGReed
July 1, 2005, 07:55 AM
Hi Veen -

For me there wasn't any diffusion necessary. I just quickly and sheepishly picked it up, stuck it back in my waistband and finished crossing the street to my truck. Got in and made sure the magazine was still seated and it was in battery then drove off while muttering profanities. No blue lights and no phone calls from the police so apparently no one was that concerned.

I waited until I got home to survey the damage: sights, slide, and grips all got a bit of road rash. At least the sights didnt' get knocked out of alignment though.

BeLikeTrey
July 1, 2005, 11:18 AM
The small of the back carry, if you have a decent IWB the back is the best on concealment due to body curvature swallowing the propensity to "print". retention can suck and so can draw time by about 1/2 a second (which can be an eternity). It was and is my preferred carry though for disguising larger autos. It is bad uncomfortable while seated too. good holster= you won't shoot yourself. now MEXICAN (in front waistband) I shudder to think. too much precious cargo up there. and seated?? puts it right in burning distance (not to mention castration distance). Stop the insanity! :uhoh:

Travis McGee
July 1, 2005, 09:56 PM
Don't Mexican carry, unless it's 20 feet across your campsite.

Bwana John
July 2, 2005, 10:43 AM
and dangle it around my neck for the rest of the afternoon.
Blue Jays,
Make the lanyard long so the pistol dosent dangle, it is held up by your waistband, not by the lanyard. The lanyard just keeps the pistol from getting more than one arms-lenght away.
Bwana

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone here carry mexi-style?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!