Caliber Converters

PDA

Dan Forrester
June 28, 2005, 10:23 PM
Where can i get one of those 12ga to 9mm, .38spl, .45ACP ect "shell shrinkers" as we used to call them? They look like a regular 12ga shell or a snap cap, except their drilled out to hold a pistol cartridge.

Thanks, Dan

If you enjoyed reading about "Caliber Converters" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
P95Carry
June 28, 2005, 10:37 PM
Dan - I have absolutely no idea - sorry! But am throwing in an item of interest.

Many years back - probably around 1980 in England, I purchased this most useful device - a sleeve to convert from 12G to 3" magnum .410.

I used to keep it in first barrel when hunting to keep noise down - it was of course a horrendous spread but - it had its uses!!! :)

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/thr/img_assd3/web410sleeve.jpg

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/thr/img_assd3/web410sleeve_name_02_s.jpg

Bayou Boy
June 28, 2005, 10:50 PM
I've seen 12 gauge to 20 or .410, but never shotgun to pistol round.

Sounds like it would be firing the bullet out of like a 1 inch barrel inside the actual shotgun barrel. :confused:

Rupestris
June 28, 2005, 11:00 PM
I've seen gauge reducers as well but never for pistol/rifle rounds.
By design alone I would bet that any reducer would require a rimmed case. 9mm, 45ACP, .223, etc would be a PITA to extract.
Bass Pro/Cabelas/Brownells has inserts to reduce a 12 to 16, 20, 28, 410. By the length, I'd bet the patern in the smaller gauges would be all over the place.

Preacherman
June 28, 2005, 11:37 PM
I should think that some pistol rounds (e.g. 9mm, etc.) would exceed the pressure tolerances of most shotgun actions, no?

P95Carry
June 28, 2005, 11:48 PM
Thing is Peter - that .410 sleeve I showed, has chamber wall well thicker than needed and a 9mm would have just as thick walls. So probably the adaptor is in itself every bit as tough as an average semi barrel. That will take the pressure on firing - as against the 12G chamber and we'll assume that ''set-back'' pressure is no problem.

Andrew Wyatt
June 29, 2005, 12:18 AM
check numrich. i bought a 20 gauge to .357 and a 20 gauge to .22 from them.

Koobuh
June 29, 2005, 02:37 AM
Yeah, I've been looking at those too.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=881160&chrSuperSKU=&MC=

Try this link, they're made by Diana Arms corp.
The things I'm leery about are their aluminium construction (bore and rifling, too) and $15 price tag.
I'm thinking about trying out a 20 gauge .22 though (lead CB's first, moving up to full power carts once I'm confident the rifling isn't going to disintegrate after 5 shots).

Seems like a cheap, easy way to expand a shotgun's usefulness, as well as mildly cheaper training (though heaven help you if you can't figure out a shotgun in the course of 4-5 boxes of shells, which is what this item is worth). Accuracy is the big question, of course.

edit-
Oh, forgot to mention, if you can find them in the websiter, Numrich also carries reducers for pistols- i.e. .44 mag to .22; I saw them advertised in a recent Shotgun News for about $9 each.

cpileri
June 29, 2005, 06:32 AM
Also, try:
mcace.com for high quality, and more expensive ones.

One question i had is if the 45 Long Colt-to-22LR adapters will work to shoot 22LR out of a 410 bore.

They do fit in firearms chambered for BOTh, but I have not tried them in a dedicated 410 bore.

BTW: I love these things and all things like them!
There is s product at cabela's i think called Little Skeeters, by browning i think, which reduce 12ga to 20ga and others.

C-

ACP230
June 29, 2005, 10:17 AM
I think they are advertised in Shotgun News quite often.

Dan Forrester
June 30, 2005, 02:46 PM
Thanks guys for all the responses.

P95Carry: Thatís a very nice converter you have there. Do you have any idea as to itís age?

I just purchased one in .22lr and one in 9mm from Numrich. Iíll let you know how they work.

Thanks, Dan

P95Carry
June 30, 2005, 03:00 PM
Dan - so you have a couple now eh?! I would certainly like to know your impressions - maybe too give us a clue as to price?

My old 12G/.410 converter, I bought that IIRC around 1976/77 - mainly because I had a new Spanish S/S 12G for field sport shooting - and often felt it unneccesary to have 2 12G shells loaded, when at times a close shot at a rabbit could be srved by a quieter 3" mag .410 shell in one barrel.

Can't say I used it a whole lot but - gave me another option anyways. :)

mnrivrat
July 1, 2005, 02:01 AM
Just about anything you can think of in cartridge adaptors has been made at one time. Somewhere in my stuff is a catalog of adaptors put out by a CA firm years ago. As I recall there were several choices of shotgun to handgun caliber adaptors.
I think they (can't remember the name) are out of business last time I checked (several years now) I would keep looking on the net including ebay .

They have been made .

cpileri
July 1, 2005, 10:11 AM
There have also been others made by Alex Cartridge, now defunct- but Old Western Scrounger has some left.
The Alex ones usually are not sub-caliber, but allow a same-caliber 'lesser' ctg to be used: ex. 32ACP in 30-06, or 32ACP-in-303british.

Also, Hammond Gamegetter makes a chamber insert that uses 22cal nailgun blanks to launch a same/similar caliber lead ball at varying velocities depending on the power of the blank.
See here:http://www3.telus.net/gamegetter/index.html

Here's some more:http://www.eabco.com/sale8.html

Like i said, i love things like this and would make them myself if I I had the means and skill.
C-

If you enjoyed reading about "Caliber Converters" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!