shorting the barrel of my 20" IMP cylinder 870 Question

PDA

Bud Light
June 28, 2005, 10:26 PM
I want to reduce my 20" Police Magnum barrel to 18". When I do this do I remove the built in choke? If so is there anything I can a gunsmith do to give me a IMP choke in the 18" length other than screw in chokes? Or should I ebay the 20" and just buy a 18"?

If you enjoyed reading about "shorting the barrel of my 20" IMP cylinder 870 Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sm
June 28, 2005, 10:50 PM
DON'T

Please! :)

Two inches off a bbl that works , is handy, has some constriction (choke) ...Heck I wouldn't and don't recommend folks shorten longer bbls - I am sure not going to recommend you shorten this one.

On longer bbls I suggest one buy another bbl . If the longer bbl they have is 1) extra, 2) has had the muzzle busted from shooting with mud , or home gunsmithing - I then suggest to use a known gunsmith to shorten. Gunsmiths will have the proper tools to measure LEGAL LENGTH, and if need install aftermarket screw in chokes.

A search will reveal many many threads on Shortening a barrel. Many folks have gotten into serious legal trouble by being a 1/4" "too short". Not to mention

Here is something else to think about. I and many have already. What if with various gun laws and various anti gun legislation down the road - it comes down a regular citizen cannot have a shotgun bbl length of which a LEO or Military uses. Most are 18.5" .

Now I personally like the 21" and 23" bbls with or without chokes.

Why just a regular old Bird Gun Big Brother....honest. ;)

only1asterisk
June 29, 2005, 12:50 AM
Sell it and buy an 18". Pocket the difference.

David

Dave McCracken
June 29, 2005, 03:53 AM
Not worth it.

Brian Williams
June 29, 2005, 08:40 AM
You are only going to lose 1.5 inches any way. You should not cut to less than 18.5 to keep from breaking the law.

If you have to have a shorter barrel buy one at 18.5 and sell the one you have.

HSMITH
June 29, 2005, 09:13 AM
An inch and a half isn't going to make ANY difference in handling at all. The difference is cosmetic. You need to decide if you really want the look of the shorter barrel and if that is worth the cost in money.

I wouldn't consider it myself.

A Cleaner
June 29, 2005, 10:01 AM
+1 for don't do it.

I'm not usually one to discourage barrel shortening but the truth is...you're not cutting an old 30" barrel that's rusty and pitted at the muzzle end. You're cutting a mere 1.5 inches off a perfectly good barrel. :eek:

It really is not worth the effort and risk (e.g. what if the barrel, once cut, is no longer square?).

Fred Fuller
June 29, 2005, 01:01 PM
I wouldn't chop it either. For what it will cost, it just doesn't seem worth it to me. Of course it might be worth it to you, I don't know.

There are 18"- 18.5" commercial barrels out there all right. A lot of them were made for the HD gun, and that's about the cheapest new barrel Remington sells (call the parts folks at 800-243-9700 M-F 9 to 5 NC time). It comes from the factory with a fixed CYL choke tho. There is a blue and a parkerized 18" IMP CYL barrel also as listed:

Part no. 242247 18" bead sight CYL $112

Part no. 242243 18" bead sight Parkerized IMPCYL $96.40

Part no. 242252 18" bead sight Blued IMPCYL $144.00

It'll cost $40-50 to get the barrel cut and the bead reinstalled, plus $75- 100 to get choke tubes installed plus the cost of a tube ($14 if you get a Remington factory tube). For that you can buy the 18" barrel you want with a fixed IMP CYL choke, and sell your 20" for most of what the new one would cost.

Stay safe,

lpl/nc

Bud Light
June 29, 2005, 05:06 PM
The barrels you listed were for the HD 870? Other than finish what is the difference between the HD and the police magnum barrel. I looked up the 18" Police Magnum barrel on Brownells and I thought it was like $160 though it was late and I may not have paid attention close enough. It would make sense to buy a barrel rather than cut mine if I can get one for a decent price. Thanks for the feedback.

If you enjoyed reading about "shorting the barrel of my 20" IMP cylinder 870 Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!