water drenched ammo?

PDA

Alan Fud
June 28, 2005, 11:36 PM
Our water system (well pump / purification system) overflowed the other day and drenched several boxes of ammo -- all premium hollowpoint stuff ... not bullets that I use for the range.

Should I consider this ammo still reliable for self defense or should I just shoot it off at the range.

If you enjoyed reading about "water drenched ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
osteodoc08
June 28, 2005, 11:47 PM
Range fodder only. Buy some new stuff for self defense.

Standing Wolf
June 28, 2005, 11:51 PM
It will probably still work; I wouldn't, however, stake my life on it.

Matt G
June 29, 2005, 01:12 AM
99.99% sure it'll work.

Is that good enough for you? :confused:

pangris
June 29, 2005, 01:17 AM
Range fodder. You can't be sure.

Good ammo *should* be as watertight as things can be. That said water is a hard enemy that will alwyas find a way eventually.

I have accidentally washed not one but two speed strips loaded with Federal 147 gr +P+ ammo. All 12 bullets were brought to the range and all twelve went bang.

That said, I'd never, ever, ever carry ammo that may have possibly been comprimised by water OR OIL! Oil is equally problematic and good at getting into places it shouldn't be. Oil also has the advantage of penetrating "waterproofing" agents.

The worst case scenario is a gun full of useless bullets. I couldn't sleep knowing I might have cases full of H20.

It is your life, buy more ammo.

Feanaro
June 29, 2005, 02:36 AM
The rounds will almost certainly make a *BOOM* rather than a *click*. Still, there is almost that pretty unlikely chance that one cartridge wasn't properly sealed and that might be the one in the pipe. Use it for target practice.

Alan Fud
June 29, 2005, 02:58 AM
It is your life, buy more ammo Anybody know where I can buy Winchester Ranger ammo? When I lived in Florida, I knew of a place but haven't found anybody that carries it in PA.

Editted to add: See that CDNN is selling Ranger ammo in .40S&W -- just need to find it in .45ACP and 9mm.

Moonclip
June 29, 2005, 03:49 AM
Premium defense ammo is usually sealed at case mouth and primer I believe to prevent misture intrusion, has anyone else heard of this? I have conducted tests of ammo soaked in water for up to a week. All fired but a cheap 380acp commercial reload. DO not take any chances and shoot up this stuff at the range and shoot slowly and stop shooting if you hear a lower than normal shot, you may have a stuck bullet in the barrel from a compromised powder charge. Wear good shooting glasses and use a gun you can afford to lose if possible or better yet don't use the ammo period!

Joejojoba111
June 29, 2005, 05:15 AM
I'd not give up on expensive cartridge so quickly! 5 second rule!!!

How about this - you take a random sampling from each box, and shoot them. If they all work, then you take another random sampling from each box and put them in a bowl of water for a couple days. Then shoot them, and if they all work I'd be pretty confident. And you'll still have 90% of your good stuff left.

Mixlesplick
June 29, 2005, 05:25 AM
I wouldn't stake my life on them.

Buy some old ammo cans at a gunshow and keep your new ammo in those. They have a rubber seal around the lid that will help keep the ammo dry if this ever happens again. :)

pangris
June 29, 2005, 02:29 PM
joejojo -

It wouldn't bother you to know that you could have missed the round or rounds that was full of water???

Alan, e-mail me about an ammo source for Ranger.

Bacon
June 29, 2005, 03:20 PM
If it is military ammo it is supposed to be waterproof. However, like earlier posts, I'd just use it at the range. Would be interesting to know how it works.

Third_Rail
June 29, 2005, 03:24 PM
Looks like you just made up a test batch to see what happens to that particular ammo when waterlogged. :D

one-shot-one
June 29, 2005, 03:53 PM
pay attention to any "squib" loads, might not want to do any rapid fire with these either.

Navy joe
June 29, 2005, 10:41 PM
Range, can't be sure. I know people say modern ammo is waterproof, but I've seen different, I went Whitewater rafting with my P3AT in tow, went swimming several times. I dried it out that night with a hairdryer and wiped the gun down but left the ammo as it was just to test water resistance. I got to shoot it the next week, of the loaded mag and chambered round only 3 of 7 fired and of the spare mag I had one misfire. I think the spare mag being able to dry out faster was less affected. That wouldn't make me think well of ammo wet inside a cardboard box or the like. My total in water time was 1/2 hour and the gun went about 5 hours before I got it dried out. The ammo was Cor-bon. Any future swimming ammo will be sealed. Before anybody cracks wise, I've seen Deliverance, The River Wild and such. Apparently you need a gun while whitewater rafting. ;)

Alan Fud
June 30, 2005, 02:16 AM
... Any future swimming ammo will be sealed ...

How?

Navy joe
June 30, 2005, 05:11 AM
Sealed with George and Roy's primer sealant around primer and case mouth or by accomplishing the same with a little thinned out nail polish.

pangris
June 30, 2005, 12:56 PM
While not uber tactical, another very simple solution for swimming is to put a gun in a zip lock bag... not necessarily the fastest deployment technique, but that AND high quality ammo would all but remove the chances it wouldn't work when called upon. I'd never, ever trust any single sealing method.

Like the man said, the spent billions on the space program and the shuttle still blew up.

How much do you thing they put into the ammo sealing technology? More or less than the shuttle?

Don't get your ammo wet, don't expert ammo to work one wet, and if you are going to carry in a truly wet environment seal it up and use sealed ammo, then put in fresh ammo after the fact.

Jayman
June 30, 2005, 02:36 PM
I've washed and dried my own handloads numerous times. (Not on purpose, duh.) They all went bang, and I don't use any sort of sealant, I just load 'em.

That said, these are for punching paper, not for staking my life on.

If you enjoyed reading about "water drenched ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!