American Shotshell Brands.

PDA

shotgunner
June 29, 2005, 04:33 AM
What are some more American companies that sell a decent variety of shotshells? So far I have these on order for patternn testing.

Federal
PMC
Remington
Winchester

I'd prefer American only to do my part for this country by supporting it's products.

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "American Shotshell Brands." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
heypete
June 29, 2005, 04:51 AM
Aren't some PMC rounds manufactured in South Korea?

My principle is this: I will buy a high-quality, well-priced product regardless of where it comes from, so long as it meets my needs.

I buy Wolf ammunition for some of my firearms because it functions fine, is a good value, etc. I use Federal XM193 in my .223 rifle even though it's a bit more expensive because I need the performance when used in a seriouse role, but will use Wolf or other cheap stuff when out plinking. I presently have Winchester shotgun ammo, but will probably buy some Remington/Federal reduced-recoil stuff for defensive use, and some Wolf shot/slugs for fun at the range.

Similarly, I handload or use inexpensive surplus ammunition in my .30-06 because its less expensive than the high-grade Remington Core-Lokt or Winchester Ballistic Silvertips, and because I don't need those high-performance, high-cost rounds for punching holes in paper.

I also use Miwall ammunition, Remington UMC, and other American-made stuff for roles they're designed for (pistol plinking; the Miwall stuff is better and cheaper than Wolf, and made here in California).

I've written letters to Remington, Winchester, Federal, etc. explaining this. I've suggested that if the Russians are able to make very low-cost, high-volume ammunition with lacquered or polymer-coated steel casings, there's no way that American mass-production and industry can't figure out a way to make competitive stuff here at home. After all, ammunition manufacturing is an almost entirely automated process. I only reload .30-06, and save all my brass from that. I don't reload 9mm, 7.62x39, .223, or shotgun rounds. Thus, there's no need for relatively expensive brass casings when steel or aluminum will work fine; I've had better functioning with steel, and prefer that over aluminum. The fact that the range can sort it out with a magnet is also a benefit.

The free market is a wonderful thing; if American ammunition makers see the popularity of their products falling, and instead see that cheap Russian/Bosnian/other-foreign-country imports are taking market share, they'll have to innovate and offer competitive products. If more people want inexpensive plinking ammunition and the American companies aren't providing it, someone else will. If Americans (or others) don't innovate, compete, and offer what the market wants, they will lose money.

That said, I prefer American ammunition. I will use ammunition from any nation (with the exception of China), so long as it is safe to use, meets the needs I have set forth (Plinking? Defense? Competition? Hunting?), and is reasonably priced. If American companies can provide what I need at a cost I can afford, I'll buy it.

sm
June 30, 2005, 12:43 PM
Fiocchi.

Besides making some dandy Buckshot loads, they also make great hunting loads - and specialty shotgun ammo in 32 , and 24 ga.

I shot a helluva lot of Fiocchi for competition. 25K rds in 12 ga alone some years.

The target hulls reloaded very very well for me. Using data from Fiocchi and data from Winchester.

My serious for the money target loads were MY reloads using Win hulls and components,or Fiocchi hulls reloaded. If I was required to shoot brand new factory ammo - it was Fiocchi.

The only ammo related failures I and others ever had - were using Factory ammo provided at the shoot, by Winchester (.410 and 12 ga) Fed ( 20 ga) and Rem in all 4 ga.

In hundreds of thousands rds fired - Fiocchi has never failed me as a new factory shell.

http://www.fiocchiusa.com/aboutus.htm

After joining the market and becoming known for its quality ammunition, Fiocchi USA started manufacturing 12 gauge ammunition here in the States. Fiocchi obtained a beautiful location for its manufacturing facility near Ozark, Missouri and the first production of shells came off the line in early 1987. Now, 20 years later, Fiocchi USA manufactures shotshell ammunition along with several caliber's of centerfire pistol cartridges.

I really liked the buckshot loads, the nickel plated hunting loads, reloading components, and ...have shot Pallets of their target loads in all 4 gauges. I have also used the 32 and 24 ga loads.

Good company and their handgun loads are great too.

SLCDave
June 30, 2005, 03:30 PM
The free market is a wonderful thing; if American ammunition makers see the popularity of their products falling, and instead see that cheap Russian/Bosnian/other-foreign-country imports are taking market share, they'll have to innovate and offer competitive products

That, or they can take a page out of Harley-Davidson's book, raise prices, and sell you a sub-standard product for more SIMPLY BECAUSE it's American... :neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "American Shotshell Brands." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!