"Engagement Rings" revisted.

PDA

Kaylee
December 31, 2002, 10:58 PM
Thought y'all might like this. :)

I was visiting with a friend of mine tonight, and he showed me all the jewelry he was getting together for an "interview" of sorts. (He's a jeweler).

Anyhow, one of his pieces reminded me of this thread (http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=145372) over on TFL. It's purty, but could open somebody up but good it looks like.

I asked him about it, it is a one-off. He said though if enough people were interested, he'd put together a batch of 'em. Cost would be around $53 a unit for silver, a touch less for brass. His apologies on the cost, but there's apparently a lot of hand tweaking and hand buffing on 'em after they get out of the casting pot.

His minimum to do the run is around half a dozen, he'd prefer to do closer to 20. Anyone interested?

http://www.wolfhillarmory.com/marcringlittle.jpg
Click to make me big.
(http://www.wolfhillarmory.com/marcring.jpg)

If you enjoyed reading about ""Engagement Rings" revisted." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Triad
January 1, 2003, 02:36 AM
I don't know if I'd buy one, mainly because I don't wear jewelry. Here's what I think tho. Looking at it, I think it might work better if the lump on the bottom were shaped like the one on the upper right of the picture, oriented so it faces inward. Also I think the ridges in the middle would work better if they were straight up rather than angled. Would that price apply across the range of sizes? Even if 20 were made, that would probably include half a dozen different sizes, and each size requires its own mold, doesn't it?

Kaylee
January 1, 2003, 02:12 PM
Okay.. got him here. He says:

1 -- How far into the "weapon" aspect would you want to go aestetically? His design came about as a "pretty" that happened to also work as a weapon. Is that something you'd want to compromise?

2 -- Are there any particular fighting techniques you'd want to use with it? "You can never have the right tool until you find out what the job is"

3 -- RE different sizes: The top part would be the same size to size. He's telling me most likely the band would be silver soldered on.. it looks like one piece, but is construction-wise kinda modular. As far as strudiness goes -- "there's more danger of the ring bending flat than the solder giving way... it's as close to welding as you can get with silver."

Hope that helps.

-K

seeker_two
January 1, 2003, 11:50 PM
G. Gordon Liddy sometimes talks about a "fighting ring" he made while in prison. In fact, he sold a gold copy of one for awhile.

Yours is an interesting design. Hope it goes over well...

Triad
January 2, 2003, 01:15 PM
1 -- How far into the "weapon" aspect would you want to go aestetically? His design came about as a "pretty" that happened to also work as a weapon. Is that something you'd want to compromise?
I think the aesthetic aspect is fairly important. Most people don't seem to observe much that goes on around them, but cops and crooks DO. If it's appearance is too wapon like, it might draw the wrong kind of attention. A cop or security guard might see it and question why someone is wearing something like that. I know I would, because I've seen people wearing homemade weapons they'd tried (and failed) to disguise as jewelry. None of them were the sort I'd trust further than I could throw them. Also in the same vein, if it isn't an obvious weapon, it could be given to a teenage girl in order to give her SOME kind of advantage in our "weapons free" schools. On the other side of authority, a group of punks might see a younger man like myself wearing one, and have a thought like "Hey, that guy thinks he's a badass. Let's see how tough he really is when he's outnumbered 10 to 1." I think you understand what I'm getting at here. In short, I really wouldn't want to compromise the looks of it too much. The rings in your link to TFL look a little too much like weapons to me.
When I made my suggestions, I guess I wasn't clear enough. Basically what I'd do is make the ring symmetrical. I'll try to show you what I mean.

Something like this: /!!!!\

2 -- Are there any particular fighting techniques you'd want to use with it? "You can never have the right tool until you find out what the job is"
I don't have any formal training, so the way I'd use it is like brass knuckles. Basically to add something special to a punch. Perhaps those with training can see another way to use a ring like this, but I can't.
"there's more danger of the ring bending flat than the solder giving way... it's as close to welding as you can get with silver."
From what I've heard double rifles are regulated so that the two barrels send their bullets to the same point of aim at a certain distance. The way they regulate the barrels to do that is to use a steel wedge that spaces the barrels properly, and then solder it in place. If it can take the punishment a .600 Nitro can dish out, I think it would work well enough for this.
Yours is an interesting design. Hope it goes over well...
Me too.

[edited to add] http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/otn/party/birthday.gif Kaylee!

Madmardig0n
January 9, 2003, 09:32 PM
Sign me up; those are nice.

SRYnidan
January 10, 2003, 09:04 PM
The originals had the points curved toward the palm when worn with the prongs in. They were used for grasping your opponent solidly ( they lhold the garment) and for slapping / Raking strikes. One could always reverse it and were the prongs out as well but the shock value would be less and would defeat the grasping usage. If you are not into grappling or more importantly throwing probably wouldn't make a difference.

If you enjoyed reading about ""Engagement Rings" revisted." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!