Western Washington State get-together

PDA

priv8ter
June 29, 2005, 01:58 PM
Okay, I've kind of seen the idea of a Western Washington gathering, so what the heck, here is what I have to offer.

I live in scenic Belfair, south of Bremerton, North of Shelton, west of Port Orchard. I'm sure that helps everyone get their bearings straight.

I have a nice sized house with a grill to offer up as an meeting/barbeque site.

As far as shooting facilites, about three miles from my house, there is a nice little gully in the Tahuya State Forest that is commonly used as a shooting range. The geography of the gully allows for close range pistol work, or 150-200 yard rifle work.

As for dates...I think that things will slow down enough at work for me to try to plan something for the weekend of August 6th.

I relalize that the area I live in is kind of 'isolated', and if someone has a more centrally located site they can think of, I am willing to give up playing host...I just won't be able to show off my beautiful daughter and beautiful 7-month pregnant wife.

greg

If you enjoyed reading about "Western Washington State get-together" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ETCss Phil McCrackin
June 29, 2005, 02:53 PM
Whats the tenative game plan? I live on the Bangor Sub Base and am usually open to shooting of any kind, especially if it turns me on to another "free" shooting area, since I either usualy shoot at the Poulsbo Sportsmans Club or a decent area I found on the other side of the Hood Canal which suits close work with shotgun and pistol.

priv8ter
June 29, 2005, 11:39 PM
No real game plan, yet. Just figured depending on how many folks are interested in checking out the sight for NASCAR's newest track, we could meet at my place, go do some shooting, and if we all don't hate each other, swing back by my palce for some grub before folks had to head home.

As more folks show an interest, we can try to work on some details.

greg

priv8ter
July 1, 2005, 07:51 PM
Bump
:(

Old Dog
July 1, 2005, 10:43 PM
Priv8ter, I'm definitely up for a WWA get-together (so far, the 6 AUG weekend looks do-able). We seem to have a number of Tacoma/Puyallup THR folks, hopefully they'll chime in ... and maybe we can even get some of our East Sounders (MillCreek? BluesBear?) over!

Powderman
July 2, 2005, 01:01 AM
I'm in....is there a chance that it could be on the 7th? That's a Sunday....and yes, I'll drive that far.... ;)

priv8ter
July 2, 2005, 07:11 PM
Glad to hear from a few more folks...

As far as Sunday vs. Saturday, I'm not really the church type, so either day works for me. Right now, I just kind of picked that weekend out because it's a weekend I'm fairly confident I won't have to work. The Saturday/Sunday question can be worked out as more people reply.

Heck, if it's down here in my neck of the woods, we can do it BOTH days. I had just better start buying ammo(and flowers for the wife) now.

greg

armedandsafe
July 2, 2005, 10:50 PM
I'm in, I think. That is the week after Convention, so it might be a little iffy to get another weekend off from FirstInLine, but I think I can do it.

Over at TFF, we have had a couple of shoots up in the Pullman area. The first one went really well. The second one, we tried to do over MemDay and didn't have very many who could show up. I wrecked my travel trailer on the way over, so didn't make it all the way. I under stand those who did show up had a heck of a time eating that whole fatted calf by themselves. :D

What should I bring to eat? How are the camping facilities in your back yard? (Pickup turns into a tent, or I will get my tent trailer rebuilt by that time.)

Pops

tomkatz
July 4, 2005, 07:28 PM
Hey, this sounds pretty good to me.......I think that weekend is o.k........better buy a lot of flowers Greg, once this bunch gets a taste of your hospitality you may have company all the time :D ........tom

jonathon
July 5, 2005, 03:31 AM
I'm out of town on the 5-7th of August :banghead: :banghead:

Church beach trip.. otherwise you could count me in...

We really need to think of a way to do an anual thing here somewhere, something with FOOD and GUNS. Its the Lutheran German side of me that loves hearty meals, and the most American part that loves shooting at parties :D

priv8ter
July 5, 2005, 08:59 AM
Well, thanks for all the replies so far. I guess I need to start trading some PM's and phone numbers so we can start working out some details.

As far as food...it will probably be a 'eat what you catch' kind of weekend, so I hope everyone likes the taste of clay pigeon. :D

Actually, we have a butcher shop in Port Orchard where I usually go to pick up buffalo burgers that are quite tasty, so I figured, depending on how many folks actually plan to show up, I would pick up a mess of burgers, and just let folks kind of supplement with personal favorites...whether it's a package of cheese brats, or a bag of Tim's Cascade Garlic and Parmeasan chips.

Armedandsafe, unfortunetaly, my house is built at the back of my property, so I don't have much of a back yard. What I do have is a little round-a-bout on the front side of my property, and it's quite isolated by over-grown rhoddies, so, it might over enough privacy for you. We can come up with something, even if it means putting you at the end of my 75 foot driveway.

greg

armedandsafe
July 6, 2005, 03:35 PM
PM on the way.

Pops

Old Dog
July 7, 2005, 02:45 PM
Hey Greg, it occurred to me that a lot of THR members probably don't routinely check the "Rallying Point" forum as often as the other forums (and only notice if they see their area name on the main page; I've also noticed that in the "last post" column on the THR main page, the thread title is redacted, so "Washington" isn't shown ... Can thread titles be edited, so we could get the Western Washington up front and possibly grab some more attention from the folks West of the Cascades?

priv8ter
July 7, 2005, 03:31 PM
That's a good point. With a thread this old, it is beyond my abilites to modify...I will send a PM to one of our oh-so-kind Moderators to see if they can help us out.

Thanks for the advise.

greg

priv8ter
July 7, 2005, 11:17 PM
Preacherman was nice enough to edit up the title for us, so let's give this another bump and see if any more people respond.

priv8ter
July 9, 2005, 07:59 PM
Okay, finally talked to my wife, and she is fine with us palying host to something that first weekend in August, even though she is bummed that she can't go shooting. I will send out some PM's to try to figure out what works better for people...Saturday or Sunday, so we can firm things up some more.

greg

armedandsafe
July 10, 2005, 12:24 AM
BTT

I'm still working on it. I've gotten her to the point of "Well, OK, but I want..." If it is the matching GP100, then it's a go. If it's the smooth top cook top (which requires rebuilding the cabinets, which requires refinishing the cupboards, which requires....) I dunno. :D

Pops

pax
July 10, 2005, 12:34 AM
Dang, that's a bad weekend for me. I hope you guys have fun, though!

pax

armedandsafe
July 13, 2005, 02:45 PM
Btt

Old Dog
July 15, 2005, 07:01 PM
another bump ...
surely there's a few more High Roaders around the Sound who aren't out of town on vacation ... weather's startin' to get real nice ...

Polishrifleman
July 15, 2005, 07:16 PM
I'm glad this was reposted, I was out of town until the 5th and it obviously disappeared. I need to check the calendar. If it works I will be there.

Bob

Powderman
July 15, 2005, 08:00 PM
Firm it up, pardners, and let 'er rip. I am rarin' to burn powder and snuff some good chow.

My vote for the 7th! (that's Sunday, pilgrim) :D

priv8ter
July 15, 2005, 09:15 PM
Okay, so far from the PM's I've recieved, there have been 3 folks(Me, armedandsafe, and Old Dog) who have said they don't care which day, and two(tomkatz and powderman) who have said they prefer Sunday.

So...right now, I think it is pretty safe to pencil things in for Sunday. If someone wants to put in a good word for Saturday, you'd best speak up fast.

:D

greg

armedandsafe
July 15, 2005, 11:15 PM
How much kevlar do you recommend I wear if'n I show up Saturday afternoon/evening for a Sunday shoot? :D

I'm far enough away that traveling Saturday would make more sense than getting up at OH:dark thirty to drive over.

Pops

priv8ter
July 15, 2005, 11:45 PM
I don't know...the wifes .270 might just punch through that kevlar anyways.

Actually, when I talked to the wife about this, and the fact that people might be comming from Eastern Washington, I'm pretty sure I left purposefully vague...'One or two trailers a night or two', so we should be covered, legally.

As long as you don't expect french toast and eggs, I don't see any issues with comming over Saturday night if that is easier for you.

greg

Polishrifleman
July 15, 2005, 11:52 PM
Sunday works best for me too. I still need clearance, 10th anniversary is on the 5th so don't know what the wife has planned.

armedandsafe
July 16, 2005, 12:35 AM
As long as you don't expect french toast and eggs, I don't see any issues with comming over Saturday night if that is easier for you.

Belgian waffles will do, thanks. :neener:

I had envisioned coming over, locating a parking spot, and then heading out for dinner. All I would need in the morning would be a quick visit to the facilities, as I would be pretty well self contained for one night.

This is sounding better each day. :D

Is somebody coming who can give a long-time rifle shooter some coaching on use of a shotgun? I get along, but I'm NOT good with it.

Pops

Old Dog
July 16, 2005, 02:24 PM
Is somebody coming who can give a long-time rifle shooter some coaching on use of a shotgun?
Well, Pops, that would not be me, as I'm by no means a shotgun expert ... but thanks for reminding me that it's high time to break out the trusty ol' Mossberg, because I tend to ignore working with a shotgun (since I gave up bird-hunting and no longer have to requal with the 12-gauge) and it really can be a lot of fun ...

Shawn Dodson
July 16, 2005, 09:24 PM
Hmmm... sounds like a great idea. I can make it on the 7th.

priv8ter
July 16, 2005, 11:50 PM
Well, we'll look forward to seeing you Mr. Dodson.

As for the shotgun help thing...the only shotgun I own is a Ted Williams Model 300 20ga autoloader I bought for $225 of a friend just so I could say I own a shotgun.

greg

tomkatz
July 19, 2005, 03:10 AM
Well it sounds like this is coming together pretty good Greg, I am looking forward to meeting some forum members.....
as to the shotgun thing, I am no expert either, but I have a couple 870's I'll bring, and my brother -in-law has a benelli autoloader that shoots like a 12 guage AK-47 :evil: ......if he comes I'll make sure he brings it along......tom

armedandsafe
July 20, 2005, 07:37 PM
I'll try to get my clay thrower together and bring a few cases of birds. I'm looking forward to this.

Pops

Powderman
July 20, 2005, 08:09 PM
Me too--except that I positively suck at skeet or trap! The only thing I know how to fire out of a shotgun is 00 buck or slugs. Hopefully someone can teach me.... :eek: :)

priv8ter
July 25, 2005, 10:58 AM
Putting this back up as a T minus two week warning.

Sounds like the shotgun thing is comming along good...I'm glad to hear that someone has a clay thrower already.

I put word out at work, inviting some folks...I'm 'The Gun Nut' in my shop, but I already have a few confirmations from co-workers.

One of the bought a one of the New SA Garands a year ago, and hasn't fired it yet. He says he just likes to clean it, and look at it. But...he said if this is a nice get together, we may actually be able to shame him into shooting it.

I'm going to try to send out some more PM, and actually firm out a time to start things off.

I think if we meet at 11, that will give us time to shoot for a few hours, then still do some meet and great over grub, and still get folks back on their way home before it gets too late on Sunday.

Look forward to meeting everyone!

greg

Powderman
July 25, 2005, 12:28 PM
Smooooooth. So, a final posting on the date? And, perhaps an address for the MapQuest monster.

(can't wait!)

priv8ter
July 25, 2005, 01:31 PM
Sorry...since no one has said otherwise, we)me and the mouse in my pocket) are going to say Sunday, August 7th. That's what I put out at work last week.

greg

armedandsafe
July 25, 2005, 01:40 PM
That's what I'm planning. Leave here Sat Eve, Return when the smoke clears.

Pops

Old Dog
July 25, 2005, 04:33 PM
So the next question is, anyone with some photographer skills bringin' a good digital camera so we can post cool pics? (I've not yet replaced my camera which didn't make it back from deployment ...)

armedandsafe
July 25, 2005, 05:00 PM
I will be bringing several cameras, one of which is digital. I'll also bring my chronograph.

Pops

Old Dog
July 31, 2005, 01:01 PM
... and the weather forecast for next weekend (so far -- it is the Puget Sound region, after all) is really lookin' good ...

priv8ter
July 31, 2005, 03:24 PM
too hot...

priv8ter
August 1, 2005, 08:03 PM
Thought I would give this one last shot up at the top.

One favor...if the folks that ARE planning on trying to make it could drop me a message by the end of the week, with data on if you are brining a guest or guests or not, I would appreicate it. That way I can make sure we have enough refreshments and grub on hand, without being stuck with extra that I will have to eat next week.

Thanks!

greg

armedandsafe
August 2, 2005, 12:40 AM
If things go as planned, I'll be there with a big pot of beans or something.

Digital camera
film cameras
tripods
film
clay thrower
2 boxes clays
shooting table
chronograph
spotting scope

Model 12 16 ga
8mm Mauser (turk) Scout style w/red dot
Nylon 66 - scoped
revolver - .22
Dan Wesson revolver - 357
Ruger P85 - 9mm
HiPoint C9 - 9mm

2K of .22LR
Some 8mm (donations accepted)
100 16ga (donations accepted)
some 38/357 (donations accepted)
some 9mm (donations accepted)
I'm not going to have time to reload, soooooooo... :banghead:

Cleaning gear & chemcals

That should keep us busy for a little bit. :D

Pops

armedandsafe
August 2, 2005, 06:43 PM
OK, so I went a little crazy today. If FirstInLine sees this post, I'll show up with bumps and bruises ALLLLL OVER me. :D

I'm bringing:

400 rounds 16ga
150 rounds 9mm
200 rounds .38spl
125 rounds (~) 8mm
75 rounds (~) 30-06
All the 22LR we can shoot
A pot of baked beans. :neener:

Pops

Old Dog
August 2, 2005, 07:53 PM
Dang, that's a lot of 16-gauge, there, Pops ...

armedandsafe
August 2, 2005, 08:41 PM
I had to take some out of the ammo box to make room for the pistol ammo. :evil: I'm not bringing any of the slugs or buck. :p

Pops

priv8ter
August 2, 2005, 10:58 PM
Since I asked everyone else what they are bringing, here is what I have. What actually goes to the range will depend on how much interest folks show, and how many trips I feel like making to the truck.

.22lr(Approx 700 rounds)
Ruger MK II
Old Marlin Semi Auto

.32 H&R Magnum(Eek...need more ammo for this!)
Taurus 731 UL

.380 ACP(250 rounds)
Kel-tec P3AT
Firestorm .380

9mm (250rounds)
CZ-75B

.357/.38(300 Rounds)
S&W 686
Marlin 1894C

.45 ACP(150 Rounds)
Charles Daly 1911

.45 Colt(50 rounds...excpecting more from Cor-Bon any day...keep your fingers crossed)

Ruger Black Hawk.

.270 Winchester(40 Rounds)
NEF Handi Rifle

7.62 Russian(200 Rounds)
Saiga Carbine

.35 Whelen(40 Rounds)
Remington Model 700 CDL(okay, I'm going to mean on this one...brand new...no one else fires it until I do.)

And my sole Shotgun, Ted Williams Auto-Loader(75 rounds of shot shells for this.

Whew.

greg

tomkatz
August 7, 2005, 10:27 PM
I sure wish I could have made it, but I just got back from Oregon, a day later than planned :banghead: ......I hope it went well so there will be another one.....I'm looking forward to a report from those who attended ;) :D ......tom

ETCss Phil McCrackin
August 8, 2005, 12:12 AM
Yeah, I know what you mean, I ended up having to work today. The smell of a submarine is a POOR substitute for burnt powder. :(

priv8ter
August 8, 2005, 09:25 AM
Well, it's unfortunate that you gentleman couldn't make it, it does give us an excuse to try another get together in a few months.

Everyone seemed to have a good time shooting. I know I did, and the sunburn I am now dealing with seems well worth it. Even better, no one was showing immediate signs of food poisoning, so it looks like I'll be able to dodge a liability suit.

Hopefully, I'll get a chance today to post a more detailed accounting of things later on today. For now, let me just say I hope everyone made it home safely, and found it worth the effort.

greg

armedandsafe
August 8, 2005, 02:12 PM
I tried to sign in last night when I got home (23:00 PDT) but the forum wasn't accepting visitors. :banghead:

GREAT time, great people, great fun, great food. :D Thanks to all for a good time.

Pops

Old Dog
August 8, 2005, 04:47 PM
It was a great time ... Greg and Jessi (thanks again for sharing your house and food!) were great hosts (the food was really good, and now we all know what Shiner Bock tastes like) ... It's a lot of fun to meet in person the folks with whom you're sharing cyberspace and being able to put faces to the names. Although Pops (armedandsafe) did kinda look like I'd pictured (those beans were excellent).

priv8ter
August 8, 2005, 10:27 PM
Well, you folks are too kind, and I'm glad everyone enjoyed themselves.
Here were my thoughts on the event.

Things went exactly as planned from the beggining, with Pops(armedandsafe)
showing up as I was at the store picking up last minute supplies. He quickly charmed my wife, and with his boots and hat, my 3-year old christened him 'Cowboy.' We spent the evening chewing the fat, and decided we would even let him sleep in the house instead of on the porch with the cats.

The next day started out grey, which had me hopeful. It's been what passes
for a heat wave here in Western Washington, with the temperatures cresting
80 for the last three weeks in a row. A little cool down would have been
nice, but...it wasn't to be.

Due to the outstanding directions I provided, and the distinctness of my house, folks began showing up at noon. The highlight of the arrivals came
when Will showed up and mistook my wife for a possible daughter. While
he blamed this on the shadows, there was no need to make an excuse...my
wife was NOT offended by this.

So...the shooting.

Once the clouds started burning off, they were gone in a hurry, and the
guns started heating up. In terms of total rounds, I didn't shoot nearly as
much as I thought I would, but instead had a good time trying out other
folks guns.

In addition to the 4 folks off THR, a couple of guys I worked with showed up
with their wives/girlfriends. Much fun was had trying to get the nice young
ladies to try out different guns. Surprisingly, one of the favorites for the ladies was the High Point 9mm that Pops brought. Ugly as sin, but the gun was heavy enough that it ate up the recoil.

As far as the guns I tried, I really enjoyed the SA Micro Compact .45 that
Will brought...surprisingly acurate and the recoil wasn't that bad. Will
also had a Makarov that I enjoyed...the sights were a bit small, but the gun
seemed to point naturally , and hit where you were pointing.

The gun that had everyone Oooing and Ahhhing though was my buddy Mark's
Garand. As if I didn't already respect WWII veterans enough, the thought
that they dragged that thing across Europe while chasing Hitler...wow. And
accurate too. Within 10 rounds, Mark was hitting an 8 inch target at a 100
yards, and that wasn't even prone.

I think I might have made Marlin a little bit of money yesterday...most folks seemed to enjoy my Marlin 1894C. If anyone who works for Marlin notices this, I can send you my address to get my commision.

After about 3 hours out in the sun, things started slowing down, so we
headed back to my place for some Cold Carbonated Beverages(including some Shiner Bock, the Official Beer of THR) and burgers. Some the Nice Young Ladies madea few faces when they found out the burgers were made of Buffalo, but their faces went away when they tasted the burgers. Pops even brough along some Huckleberry BBQ to try out on some unsuspecting sailors because he was scared to try it himself.

That was really it. Nothing thrilling I guess, but what a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon. Shooting with people who know what they are doing, introducing a few new people to shooting, and getting to put some names to a few of the faces around here.

And the biggest sign that it was a success? I can't wait to do it again. I'm even willing to play host again...except...I need to wait until at least November...that way the wife says she will have had the baby, so she can go shooting.

Works for me...

Polishrifleman
August 10, 2005, 02:44 PM
Sounds excellent, sorry I couldn't attend. The wife surprised me with a weekend up at Birch Bay for the 10 yr anniversary. I will work on the making the next one.

If you enjoyed reading about "Western Washington State get-together" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!