Transfer Rifle From NC to CA Bay Area

PDA

Sprout
June 30, 2005, 03:00 PM
I have a family friend who wants to sell me his 1969 Romanian Trainer. I knew its not cost-effective to buy a $80 rifle from out-of-state, with shipping and FFL fees, but for sentimental reasons I wanted to give it a shot. So, I called Reeds in San Jose and asked them how to go about setting this up. They said it would require an FFL to FFL transfer and their fee would be $180. Does it really cost $360 ($180 x 2) to transfer an $80 rifle? or is this just their way to keep people from ordering off of the net? Is there a cheaper place in the bay area? Thanks.

Update: I called around and Imbert & Smithers is willing to do it for $50.

If you enjoyed reading about "Transfer Rifle From NC to CA Bay Area" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DnPRK
June 30, 2005, 03:05 PM
They are jerking you around on the price.

Gunbroker, Auctionarms and GunsAmerica all have listings of FFLs who will do transfers for a reasonable fee. Since Its a long gun, it doesn't have to go FFL to FFL. I did a transfer recently (southern California) for $40 and that included the $25 DROS.

mountain_cowboy
June 30, 2005, 03:08 PM
I've heard a lot of outrageous ffl transfer stories, but that about takes the cake. I'd have a few suggestions for Reeds about what they could do with their ffl license. :cuss:

Sprout
June 30, 2005, 03:55 PM
Thanks DNRP. I went on Auction Arms and found a place that will do it for $50--Roger's Relics--including the DROS. I'd send it to Imbert, because I've bought from them before, but they say it needs to be FFL to FFL. Thanks again.

Matt-man
June 30, 2005, 04:04 PM
Inside California, a transfer needs to go FFL to FFL. Other states allow individuals to ship a firearm directly to an FFL. However, I have no idea if NC is one of those states.

Talk to Martin MacDonald at Irvington Arms in Fremont - he has handled out-of-state transfers for me in the past. I believe they charge $50 to handle a transfer, but I don't remember if that includes the DROS fee. The number over there is (510) 226-7910.

I get the feeling that Reed's has sky-high fees simply because they don't want to deal with transfers. Fortunately there are many other places to do that in the area.

heypete
June 30, 2005, 04:55 PM
If you don't mind going to Pacifica, I highly recommend City Army (http://www.city-arms.com/). Dimitry there is a good guy, and charges about $20 + DROS, though you might want to check with them to ensure you're getting the best price.

Really good shop, good people working there.

Sprout
June 30, 2005, 10:11 PM
Thanks Matt-man and heypete, I'd like to try to support a store that keeps stock if I can, so I'll check your suggestions out.

Mountain-cowboy: Actually, I was pretty shocked about Reeds attempt to take advantage of me. Usually, they have pretty good prices. However, treating customers badly is pretty common around here.

thatguy
July 1, 2005, 10:50 AM
Does CA law actually require FFL to FFL? I thought it was just personal policy by many FFLs. I need to check on this. Last year a friend of mine who lives in CA sent a rifle without using an FFL and he keeps up on the laws.

sprout- CA is just about the worst place in America (if CA is still part of America) to be a gun owner. CA dealers are notorious for high transfer fees. But $180? How can they justify that cost? Does he make $180 on every gun he sells in the shop? Frankly, I think that dealer is thief and you can tell him I said so.

Guns_and_Labs
July 1, 2005, 10:56 AM
I'd like to try to support a store that keeps stock if I can, so I'll check your suggestions out.

Try Andreotti Firearms in Castro Valley. He's fully stocking.
Bullseye in San Rafael is semi-stocking.
Michael's Gunshop in Dublin is barely stocking.

All are reasonable for fees, and might even cut you a better deal if they hear the story (though Michael's is about as low as can be).

If you enjoyed reading about "Transfer Rifle From NC to CA Bay Area" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!