S&W getting into long arms ?

PDA

bg
June 30, 2005, 03:58 PM
I wonder if S&W is going to back off sidearms a bit and get into making
new rifles and shotguns ? Kinda looks like they might be. That would
be interesting. I like it when the firearms industry expands and not
fades away due to political pressure and anti-gun media attacks.
http://www.masslive.com/business/republican/index.ssf?/base/business-0/1120117783286940.xml&coll=1

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W getting into long arms ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Boats
June 30, 2005, 04:09 PM
If they are going to offer locks on their new rifles and shotguns, I'll be passing on those like I do the revolvers.

Point of curiousity: Why doesn't S&W "lock up" the SW99 and their traditional autoloaders?

RooK
June 30, 2005, 04:25 PM
They used to sell rifle and shotguns a long time ago, but they were made by other people. I have a S&W 1000 shotgun, autoloading 20ga. It was made by Mossberg and relabeled for S&W.

Waffen
June 30, 2005, 04:34 PM
The Howa 1500 started out as a S&W1500. A buddy of mine owns one.

Standing Wolf
June 30, 2005, 09:34 PM
If they are going to offer locks on their new rifles and shotguns, I'll be passing on those like I do the revolvers.

Me, too: I don't buy products that insult my intelligence.

Selfdfenz
June 30, 2005, 09:51 PM
This is Smith's reaction to Remington's partnering with IZH/Baikal. They ain't about to start making rifles and shotties in the US.

Question is who will they hook-up with?

I say one of the Turkish shotgun companies that has the ability to produce a variety of sporting rifles.

Which brings us to another question. Would S&W or Big Green ever market an AK varient like the Saiga? Is it too non-PC for them to touch?

S-

The Rabbi
June 30, 2005, 10:03 PM
Yes, they have hired a guy with sort of minimal experience to do this.
I dont know what market they will go after. I dont see it as a good move.
In rifles I think CZ makes the best-value gun on the market. I dont see how anyone can better those. Ruger makes good ones too.
In shotguns, Remington has the lock just about on the police market with the 870, and everyone makes a gazillion parts for them. Benelli is trying to get in on that but it is a hard sell. I dont see any area that isnt dominated by strong companies. I mean, this market has been around over 150 years.

Selfdfenz
June 30, 2005, 10:28 PM
I dont know what market they will go after.

1. Count the different manufacturers represented in the gun display cases at Wal-Mart.
2. Now count the number of different countries represented in the gun display cases at Wal-Mart.
3. Now complete your makert survey task by counting the number of S&W products in that same display case.

I think if you are a marketing exec at Smith you would see the answer to #3 = 0 as unacceptable.
What market....Wal-Market.

You are exactly right about CZ. They can't be touched in their price/quality range.

Wal-Mart already carries Rugers via order and the price ain't bad.
S-

Standing Wolf
June 30, 2005, 11:40 PM
Selfdfenz:

Good analysis.

bg
July 1, 2005, 02:33 AM
It might be interesting to see what type of long arm they might come
with to use with the their .50 mag sidearm round.

peacefuljeffrey
July 1, 2005, 02:39 AM
If S&W gets into long arm production, it's probably just a sign that they need to make a bigger gun to slap on a bigger, longer, more all-encompassing P.C. warning label that simply won't fit on a handgun. :rolleyes:

"Warning: This firearm is a dangerous weapon that really should be used only by fully trained military and police personnel. Do not use with live ammunition, as injury or death may result. Manufacturer cannot be held liable for injury due to use of this weapon, or even misuse or abuse of this weapon, although many cities will attempt to prove otherwise (and we this company will most likely capitulate to them). Use eye and ear protection even when dry-firing this weapon. Wear gloves when using this weapon (which you should never do) even if only dry-firing it. Never point this weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot. Never point this weapon at anything, period. In fact, never take this weapon out of the box. Bring this weapon to the nearest municipal, taxpayer-funded gun buy-back as soon as possible. You are not qualified to use it. Only the police, the military, and Dianne Feinstein, are qualified to use firearms."

You need a long gun to fit what S&W wants to say about gun use.

-Jeffrey

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W getting into long arms ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!