LLCs and the NFA

PDA

Coronach
July 1, 2005, 08:49 AM
Do LLCs meet the NFA CLEO sign-off exemption? Or must it be a full corporation? If it matters, the state in question is OH.

Thanks,
Mike

If you enjoyed reading about "LLCs and the NFA" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hkmp5sd
July 1, 2005, 12:02 PM
All types of corporations are exempt from CLEO, fingerprint and picture requirements.

Beren
July 1, 2005, 01:00 PM
Mike,

Trusts also meet the definition of a corporation as far as ATF is concerned. So if you setup a family trust, you could use it, too. Or so goes my understanding.

wdlsguy
July 1, 2005, 01:12 PM
Any issues with an LLC filing an ATF Form 1 (Application to Make and Register a Firearm)?

Third_Rail
July 1, 2005, 01:17 PM
Hkmp5sd, sounds like that's the way you went??

Hkmp5sd
July 1, 2005, 05:02 PM
So far, all of mine are standard Form 4s with CLEO signatures. The local county Sheriff's Department actually has a secretary assigned to process Form 4s coming into their office and they are quite pleasant about the whole precedure. They've even made an industry of it, charging a "processing" fee of $20, IIRC. They will do the fingerprinting too.

Zrex
July 1, 2005, 05:18 PM
I formed an LLC because my CLEO gave me the runaround and I got tired of it. Not to mention that I really hate being fingerprinted.

I have had 4 NFA firearms transferred to my LLC without any problems so far, and I have another 2 pending.

If you enjoyed reading about "LLCs and the NFA" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!