Going to Cozumel

PDA

bigmike45
July 1, 2005, 10:31 AM
My wife & I were just given an all expense paid trip to Cozumel by our son and I was wondering about carrying my concealed weapon down there and then carrying it concealed after we arrive. I have gone through transporting a gun while flying already without incident here in the good ol'e USA, but I am now going to another country.

Has anyone had any experience with Cozumel and this issue. I would like to know the law and any of your experiences in such matters.

Thanks
Mike

If you enjoyed reading about "Going to Cozumel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dangerclose
July 1, 2005, 10:53 AM
Cozumel is in Mexico. If you ccw there they will treat you like a piniata.

eagle10
July 1, 2005, 11:53 AM
Don't try it!! If you are found with even a single loaded cartridge in your luggage, you are in deep s##t. The thought of being put in a Mexican prison while it is sorted out should make you doube/triple check your bags to be sure there is no ammo in them.

The last time I was in Cozumel was about 10 years ago. I've heard it's changed quite a bit since then. Enjoy your trip - drink only bottled water :D

jpIII
July 1, 2005, 11:53 AM
it's pretty much a BIG no-no.

your whits are about the only thing you can arm yourself with.

Good luck, and have fun. :)

(According to Jacques Cousteau, the beaches of Cosumel are the most beautiful in the world)

simon
July 1, 2005, 12:00 PM
The best thing you can do there is buy a cheap knife for carry *there* and then discard it for the trip home....

Ransom
July 1, 2005, 12:02 PM
And you expect to get a firearm through customs how exactly?

entropy
July 1, 2005, 12:08 PM
NO, NO, NO, NO! Unless you enjoy the thought of Jose, the area's infamous 400 lb. murderer/rapist, buggering you for the rest of your life. Mexican prisons are not enjoyable travel hostels. ;) My Dad got to know the police chief in Ixtapa, and as a professional courtesy gave him a tour of the police station. He said the lockup reminded him of 'Midnight Express'. :what:
Cozumel is well patrolled by both local policia and los federales. You are safer there than in LA. Ironically.

Enjoy your trip, don't drink Victoria beer, only drink bottled water that you break the seal on, and bargain with the tourist junk vendors, that's half the fun! :)

Brasso
July 1, 2005, 12:15 PM
That island exists for not other purpose than to cater to tourists. We took a cruise there and as soon as we got off the boat there armed mexican police with m16's patrolling the streets. I wouldn't worry too much about safety. Stick to the tourist areas and you will be as safe as you can be. The beaches are spectacular.

WayneConrad
July 1, 2005, 01:40 PM
Best idea might be to pretend you're a student in an American grade school:

Don't bring a firing pin, or a magazine, or a spring, or any part of a gun.
Don't bring a case, or a bullet, or any part of a cartridge.
Don't even bring a picture of a gun or catridge.
Leave your NRA keychain at home.
Bleat like a sheep. Ok, maybe leave that part out. The rest of it, I ain't joking. I hear that Mexico doesn't joke around with this sorta thing.

Hawkmoon
July 1, 2005, 10:27 PM
Best idea might be to pretend you're a student in an American grade school:

Don't bring a firing pin, or a magazine, or a spring, or any part of a gun.
Don't bring a case, or a bullet, or any part of a cartridge.
Don't even bring a picture of a gun or catridge.
Leave your NRA keychain at home.
Bleat like a sheep. Ok, maybe leave that part out. The rest of it, I ain't joking. I hear that Mexico doesn't joke around with this sorta thing.
Also, do not bring any recreational chemicals. A single maijuana seed in your pocket can also qualify you to win an all-expenses paid trip to the lock-up.

Travis McGee
July 1, 2005, 10:50 PM
Do NOT take even one cartridge to Mexico! Unless you want to spend many years in a dungeon.

Sportcat
July 1, 2005, 10:59 PM
Don't go! :uhoh:

hso
July 1, 2005, 11:52 PM
Don't take any firearm.

Don't take any knife with a blade longer than 3 in.

Take a cane that doesn't have a sword, knife, or goofy flaming skull head.

Think of Cozumel as a gated secure community with heavily armed guards. Only go on tours the resort sets up.

Don't worry about the water there, but avoid anything that isn't bottled when outside of the womb of Cozumel. Don't drink anything with ice in it either when outside of Cozumel.

Remander
July 2, 2005, 02:15 AM
You will hear this a lot: Check it out, amigo! Come see my shop! Cuban ceegars, amigo?

I saw one dude with a briefcase approaching a bank, with two fellows accompanying him who looked to be armed with M16's or similar rifles. I gave them a wide swath. Probably depositing the proceeds of his el cheapo t-shirt and cigar and duffle bag shop.

We did get a decent outdoor meal at a restaurant on the town square, and the price was not too bad. The Carlos and Charlies and Senor Frog's type joints are turisto traps for sure.

As posted above, even a .22 cartridge can land you in a hellhole of a jail. Note also the danger of knife possession.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/regional/regional_1174.html

WARNING ON FIREARMS

Mexico has severe penalties for taking in any type of firearm, weapon, or ammunition without first obtaining written authorization from Mexican authorities. It does not matter whether U.S. citizens are licensed to carry the firearm in the United States, or if they unintentionally transport it while driving in their vehicle, or have it in their luggage while traveling by commercial or private plane or boat. It also does not matter if visitors to Mexico are U.S. law enforcement or military officials. Mexican authorities strictly enforce laws restricting the entry of firearms and ammunition along their borders and at air or seaports.

Each year dozens of Americans are arrested or fined in Mexico in connection with weapons violations. There are several dozen U.S. citizens currently incarcerated in Mexican prisons on weapons-related charges. Many of them inadvertently transported a firearm that they were licensed to carry in the United States without realizing they were violating Mexican laws. Some were driving across the border for a day visit, to shop or to eat in a restaurant. Remember that if caught bringing in a firearm, ammunition, or other weapon, Mexican authorities may confiscate a visitor's vehicle or other personal property and place the individual under arrest. Detained U.S. citizens may spend months in pre-trial detention while their case is being investigated. If convicted, they may face several years in a Mexican prison. While the U.S. consul can visit U.S. citizens in jail, make sure that they are being treated humanely, and provide a list of attorneys to assist with the Mexican judicial process, the U.S. consul cannot get U.S. citizens released from jail.

U.S. citizens who approach Mexico along the land border or who arrive by boat should check carefully to ensure that someone else has not left weapons or ammunition in the vehicle or boat. If U.S. citizen visitors realize they are in possession of firearms, ammunition, or other weapons, they should not proceed into Mexico. They should not attempt to enter Mexico - even to turn around - or go through Mexican Customs. All land border crossings have pull-offs or turnarounds on the U.S. side. The only way to legally import firearms and ammunition into Mexico is to secure a permit in advance from the Mexican Embassy in Washington, D.C. or from a Mexican Consulate in the United States. Mariners who have obtained a Mexican firearm permit should contact Mexican port officials before attempting to enter Mexican waters, to learn about specific procedures to report and secure weapons and ammunition.

Some cities, such as Nuevo Laredo, have ordinances prohibiting the possession of knives, similar weapons or anything that might be construed as a weapon. Tourists have even been arrested for possessing souvenir knives. Most arrests for knife possession occur in connection with some other infraction, such as drunk and disorderly behavior.

http://www.usembassy-mexico.gov/nogales/NE_ACS_page.htm

WEAPONS AND AMMUNITION ARE ILLEGAL IN MEXICO.
If you cross the border with weapons...

You will be part of dozens of American Citizens arrested each month for violating a very strict Weapons and Ammunition Mexican Law whether you are informed or not.

You will go to jail and your (automobile) car will in pounded.

You will be separated from your family, friends and employment also you will probably suffer economically in a substantial way.

You must pay for your court defense and other costs that oscillates in tenths of thousand dollars .

If found guilty you might have a sentence up to 30 years in a Mexican prison.

REMEMBER:

Once you crossed the border with weapons and ammunition it will too late.

The lack of knowledge of this Law will not give you indulgency by the police officer.

You will be arrested and imprisoned.

Mannlicher
July 2, 2005, 03:33 PM
All you can do as a tourist in Mexico, is depend on God, and the kindness of strangers. Mex is the one place where I think I would fear the cops more than the criminals. Frankly, I would just not go.

jetrecbn
July 2, 2005, 03:51 PM
Don't even think about carrying a BUTTER knife! I was in Rosarito and I got arrested for purchasing a knife. It's a scam. The little kid with his tray full of goodies goes around selling knives and then when you pay him, a crooked son of &**^&& cop walks up to you and arrests you. Let me recall. Cop pulls me in an alley. He looks left, right, and tells me I'm going to jail. He was courteous enough to inspect my wallet for identification. As he pulls out my ID ($180) he says he's doing it for my benefit since it's only a Friday and the courts don't open till monday.
The funny thing is he got another one of my buddies (same local, same scam), the following week. Oh we had a laugh about it. Hope that SOB gets what's coming to him.

gazpacho
July 2, 2005, 09:05 PM
Bring cash, travellers checks and credit cards that have PIN numbers. Leave your check book at home. In fact, I'd recommend writing the PIN on the back of the credit card. Cozumel is real safe, but kidnapping for ransom is on the rise. They know that credit cards have PIN numbers, and thats the fastest safest way for them to get a lot of money in a hurry. They won't believe you when you tell them that your cards don't have PIN numbers. They'll just torture you (or your wife, while you watch) until they get a number that works. In a situation like that, it would be bad to forget your PIN number.

When you get home, destroy the cards, change or deactivate the PINs, and get new cards.

Oh, and no guns. Not even fake ones.

For self protection consider a Bogen Monopod (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=5522&is=REG&addedTroughType=search) for your camera. Both the tilt head and the entension clamps are made out of cast metal, with hard lumpy knobs. The tube section is also metal. Collapsed, either end will make a good bludgeoning club. More expensive/heavy ones will hit harder.

XLMiguel
July 2, 2005, 10:09 PM
Why would you go to Mexico? They promote a conscious effort to flood our country with illegal immigrants, drugs, and other human detrius. They don't even play fair, they are corrupt. Why are you going to Mexico?? Get a refund and go someplace that's actually friendly to the US. And re-educate your kid - nice gesture but . . . . .

There are better beaches elsewhere. Go someplace you aren't a target of opportunity or a 'tourista sheep for shearing'. Don't support those perverts and criminals :barf:

GT
July 2, 2005, 10:18 PM
+1 with Mike

MechAg94
July 2, 2005, 11:45 PM
I am not sure of that location, but I have heard stories that many times the bottled water is refilled from tap water (even at hotels) so you need to make sure the bottle is sealed.

I heard one story from a girl I know about taking a cross country tour. They stopped at a little shack to get lunch. She said the raw ground beef was sitting there on a table with flies all over it. The cooks would shoo them away to get the beef to make the burgers. She said she wasn't hungry after that.

My brother and his wife have gone a few different times to the all expenses paid resorts and had no problems at all.

TimboKhan
July 3, 2005, 03:14 AM
Yo Mike,

You have your opinions, and thats fine, but you might want to ease up on this "human detritus" and "Perverts and Criminals" crap. My biological dad was from Mexico, thus making me 1/2 Mexican. I went on to win a bronze star for this country in Desert Storm, and served with a number of 1st generation Mexican-Americans. Shoot, did you know that you can earn citizenship by joining the military? I served with two mexican nationals who were also Marines (Immigrated illegally, eventually got their green cards and joined up). Additionally, there are several Mexican Nationals listed on the Vietnam Memorial wall that died in service to this country. You might want to consider that before you start stereotyping an entire nationality. Oh, and by the way, why don't you go pick tomatoes at slave labor rates (think I am lying? since 1996 there have been six cases that resulted in convictions for slavery in Immokallee and LaBelle, Florida.), why don't you go pour concrete in the hot sun, and why don't you go do any of the other jobs that Americans have, by and large, deemed unsuitable. They aren't "stealing" American jobs; they are taking jobs that we don't want to do. I am not advocating open borders, and obviously there are criminals and all the attendant problems that they bring with them that are coming over the borders, and I obviously am not a fan of that, but you make it sound like every Mexican that crosses the border is a POS, and that is just plain stupid. Sorry to get on my soapbox, but your opinion is shortsighted and at least to me, offensive.

LiquidTension
July 3, 2005, 04:00 AM
Timbo - illegal immigrants do not take jobs that Americans have deemed "unsuitable" as you say, they simply take the same jobs for less money. Then they send that untaxed money back to their family in Mexico, thereby completely circumventing the entire tax system (except perhaps for minute amounts of sales tax). This has robbed an American of his/her job and also contributed ZERO to social security and income tax (which pays for things like roads that illegal immigrants DO USE). In short, illegal workers get all of the benefits without paying a dime for them. I realize that most times there is nothing malicious in a person's desire to work in the US, but there is no reason those same people cannot go through legal channels. You cite examples of several Mexicans serving in the US armed forces - this just strengthens the argument for coming here LEGALLY. I have no problem with Mexicans or any other nationality coming to America, as long as it is within the bounds of immigration laws.

As for Cozumel, I'd place my entire fortune on the fact that Sunset Beach on Ishigaki is a much better beach, not to mention the fact that it has better reef than I've seen in any National Geographic special. If you can't get a refund, by all means take the trip. I know several people that have been to Cozumel and they all loved it. Keep your eyes open, don't drink the water, and have a good time :)

Malice
July 3, 2005, 05:10 AM
^ +1 kinda...

I am working for the summer for the School District in the county where I live. The district does not hire illegals. So far I have worked as an electricians assistant (running wire to temporary classrooms, in the Southern Texas summer sun and heat)... And if that sounds coushy, I have worked as a roofer too. The ShingleFelt got so hot one day, around 2PM, that the tar coating on I almost glued me to the roof. My supervisor, an aging, grizzled, very very tan (4th generation) Mexican guy had to cut me loose. Me and a lot of kids my age (18-20) work as "helpers" for the summer. I would not say we get paid "a lot," however it is a bit more than a fast food place or a department store (ive worked at both). And we have the oppertunity to work overtime. I know I am gratefull as hell to have that job, even tho it is very hard work. I am white, 5th or 6th generation American, and I come from a family (my dad and uncles) who started out working manual labor but worked their way to sucess, which I am very proud of.

What I mean is, the truth is that Americans do want the jobs illegals take. The District is also very carefull not to contract people who hire illegals. The constructions crews that work on schools look like some of them might be of mexican descent, but most are white or black. They could give my summer heat roofing job to an illegal, and would you say I magicaly dont want it anymore? If I had to, I could work this job the rest of my life. I plan on bigger and better things, but the point is, not all working class American familes are sending all of their kids to college. We do want these jobs. Me and a lot of other young *Americans* want these jobs. We line up for them.

Anyway, I went to Cozumel on a cruise. On the beach they serve drinks with ice in them. Everyone drinks (lots) them and no-one ends up sick on the ship. However, if you go to a little hole in the wall mexican resteraunt in the basement of a shop, have a Coke (mexican coke tastes wierd but good, and seems to only come in bottles...) instead of a glass of water. Big touristy resteraunts and bars with menus in english will serve water and ice that either comes from jugs or is filtered. They would not stay in busniess if the cruise director said as we pulled into the port "By the way, everyone who eats at Marty's Mexican Grill gets sick from the water."

Old Dog
July 3, 2005, 11:15 AM
Seems the point was made a while back to bigmike45 that he shouldn't attempt to take a firearm to Mexico ... and, as expected, the thread turns into another opportunity to bash the hapless Mexicans and re-argue our illegal immigration problem.

Mike in VA: As one who once married a lovely Mexicana, and has many fond memories of wonderful times spent south of the border, I only wish folks like you could be a tad bit more tolerant before dismissing an entire nationality as "human detritus," "criminals" and "perverts."

etex
July 3, 2005, 11:47 AM
Absolutely do not take your weapon!I know of a guy that crossed the border
in Texas and they searched his truck and found a single rifle bullet under the seat. The guy sat in a Mexican jail for 6 long months. Heck you may not ever get out if caught carrying a loaded weapon.

TMM
July 3, 2005, 12:25 PM
personally, i'd not go. maybe it's just me being overly paranoid...

bring a good cane (like a Cold Steel City Stick. NOT the sword version of course.)

~TMM

TimboKhan
July 3, 2005, 01:36 PM
Allrighty,

This is going to be the last I post on this, as my main point that I was trying to make is that I took great offense in Mexicans being called a "Criminal, Pervert and Human Detritus". There are any number of arguments and solutions to the immigration problem that this country has, and personally, I am willing to listen to most of them.

I realize that most times there is nothing malicious in a person's desire to work in the US, but there is no reason those same people cannot go through legal channels

This is a reasoned opinion that I can respect.

Don't support those perverts and criminals

This is one that I don't

Anyway, again, I don't want to turn this thread into something it wasn't meant to be. Don't go to Mexico with a gun, bullet or anything else.

Timbo

Stevie-Ray
July 3, 2005, 02:57 PM
Cozumel and Mexico are not interchangeable as words. I've been to Cozumel twice, and it's the one island in Mexico I would go back to. It doesn't seem to have the "Come over here amigo, and see my stuff" street vendors that other parts of Mexico have in spades. Stay in the resort areas, beaches, snorkeling, etc. it's all spectacular there. Carlos and Charlie's giant fishbowl Margeritas are downright dangerous. (One is all you need, trust me.) Very pleasant people and great times await you.

But the government is still Mexico's, and don't even think about guns out loud.

cowboybobb693
July 3, 2005, 07:26 PM
My wife and I have been to Cozumel numerous times and the ONLY trouble that I have EVER seen on that beautiful island was caused by drunken buttwipes from California !!!! The Mexican people on that island are some of the most kind, friendly and caring people that you will ever encounter. My wife and I have walked down dark lonely streets at 2 a.m. and were not worried one bit.
So for someone to knock Cozumel shows me that they have never been there and are just being mean spirited and are comparing Cozumel to Tijuana or Laredo.
Have fun on your trip, don't drink anything but bottled water and leave ANYTHING that may remotely be construed as a weapon at home, yes, even your trusted pocket knife.
On edit: Stay away from the Cuban cigar places. The cigars are good smokes but you will get your butt in a deep crack if you are caught bringing them home.

Gandalf
July 3, 2005, 08:11 PM
I'm going to Mexico and I'm going to conceal a handgun. None of the customs or airline agencies will catch it.
Then I can rip off some drug cartels and bring the stuff back with me in my underwear.
Again, no one in the airlines or customs will catch me.

PLEASE! Did you just fall off the turnip truck? :banghead:

Hawkmoon
July 3, 2005, 10:07 PM
I guess by now the point has been made and reinforced that it's probably not a good idea to try to carry a weapon into (or in) Mexico, and the caution notice from the Department of State sort of summed it up.

The one point nobody has mentioned, and the State Department advisory also omitted, is that Mexico operates under the Napoleanic legal system. For those who don't know what that means ... it's the opposite of ours. You are GUILTY UNLESS PROVEN INNOCENT. None of our good ol' American "Beyond a reasonable doubt" stuff. If you are arrested, you ARE guilty, and when your day in court finally comes around they don't have to prove you are guilty. YOU have to prove that you are not guilty.

Personally, I won't go to Mexico. If that doesn't sound like a strong statement, consider that I am married to a Hispanic who loves Mexico.

spartacus2002
July 3, 2005, 10:31 PM
Go to Key West. Caribbean flavor yet still in the US.

Remander
July 5, 2005, 12:42 AM
It doesn't seem to have the "Come over here amigo, and see my stuff" street vendors that other parts of Mexico have in spades.

There are plenty of them in the shops in the downtown area. You likely won't see them if you just stay at a hotel resort area, but the shopping area where the cruise ship passengers debark and shop has all the "Hey, amigo, check it out" that you can stand.

PinnedAndRecessed
July 5, 2005, 01:56 AM
I took back-to-back vacations to Cabo San Lucas and Hawaii. I preferred Cabo. My wife recently took a vacation to Cozumel with "the girls." These are very tourist oriented areas. All the restaurants serve filtered water. (I inspected the process.) Cabo uses reverse osmosis desalinization plants. We drank very little bottled water and had no problem.

Since these are tourist areas, the local law enforcement is lethal to local gangsters. It's not like Mexico City or Tijuana. You have no business at those places. But where you're going is very safe. Just stay in the touristy areas.

How safe is it? One kidnapping, one murder, or one robbery, and they're out of business. They aren't going to let it happen. Best vacation I ever had.

Stevie-Ray
July 5, 2005, 04:27 PM
but the shopping area where the cruise ship passengers debark and shop has all the "Hey, amigo, check it out" that you can stand. That's where I was last year. (New shopping center built for the cruise ship vacationers right off the pier) I saw none of it. The previous time was in 1995, and we were downtown. Though it might have changed in 10 years, we saw none of it there either.

I've witnessed this firsthand in Ensenada to the point of getting nasty with the vendors, and heard about it from others about all parts of Mexico proper. But it just doesn't seem to be that way in Cozumel. As I said, especially for Mexico, a great place to be.

Tory
July 5, 2005, 06:13 PM
It is absolutely true that you do NOT want to be caught with anything firearms-related in Mexico. As there was a court decision stripping a US citizen of his firearms rights based on his Mexican conviction for illegal possession of a few loose cartridges recently, which received much attention on these boards, it is hardly news.

It is NOT true that an American firearms license will allow carry in another country - heck, many STATES won't reciprocate / recognize another state's license; what makes you think MEXICO will? :rolleyes:

It is also NOT true that there are gangs of dark-skinned malefactors waiting to prey upon the clueless touristas in Cozumel (or Cancun for that matter). Cozumel and Cancun are no more the "real Mexico" than Coney Island or Disney World constitute the "real US."

As already noted, these places exist - indeed, were CREATED - to cater to tourists. They are actually like sanctuaries for endangered species; lots of protection for and catering to the occupants.

I went to Cozumel in 1994 and again last week. I was in Cancun in 1994 and again in 2002. I was never accosted by urchins, pickpockets or pushy vendors. In fact, the pushiest people were the AMERICANS flogging time-shares in Cancun.

IF you were in near proximity of a store front, of course the merchant would invite you to examine his wares, but I never felt put upon to do so. Shopping was pleasant, if crowded - hardly a Mexican problem.

I went on a jungle hike with my wife in Cozumel; well outside the city in the middle of bloody nowhere (not that the island is that big, but we were off the usual Fat Tuesday/Senor Frog/Diamonds International/Columbian Emerald route). No banditos, Zapatistas or drug lords; no Sergeant Garzia-type cops shaking us down; no Frito Banditos holding us up. Just some nice people working their asses off in the hope that we would appreciate their efforts to convert an unprofitable ranch into a tourist destination by offering hikes and ATV tours of forest, Mayan ruins and wildlife. They gave good service, good value for our money, and were sincerely interested in making our trip enjoyable.

I wish them great success in their endeavor. Better protected sites and natural vegetation than another strip mall for booze, jewelry, blankets and places for white trash to get drunk cheap in. :barf:

Hey, I'd LOVE to get back to Hawaii, but the Mexican Riviera is MUCH closer, MUCH cheaper, and has things I like to do.

Look at it this way - if you help create jobs THERE, it reduces the need for illegals to sneak over our border to come HERE! ;)

PinnedAndRecessed
July 5, 2005, 09:13 PM
In fact, the pushiest people were the AMERICANS flogging time-shares in Cancun.

Ain't it the truth. Already, in Maui and Ohau, there is a whole new industry of time-share resells. Companies exist to do nothing else other than get rid of time-shares that people do not want.

Point: anytime you're out of the continental U.S., do not sign anything, accept nothing, and just say, "no habla."

GhostRider66
July 6, 2005, 10:21 AM
Okay here goes...

I will preface this by saying that the folks with the warnings about the illegality of weapons in Mexico are entirely on the mark. If you get caught look for some jail time; possibly lengthy. That being said, the security when arriving at the airport there was some of the easiest to defeat I have ever seen.

The premise for luggage inspection was (and this was a little over a year ago) to press a button which would activate a light. The light would either turn green to indicate that you were free to pass or red indicating that you had been selected for a random baggage inspection and need to proceed to the inspection station. The failing came in that they didn't really check or notice if the button is being pressed for an individual or family.

I went with wife and daughter and we pressed the button once for all of us, got a green light and went right through. I figured if you traveled with couple of other folks the job of defeating this would be laughable. Just press the light and if it goes red, let the first person go to the inspection station with the bags you know to be clear. Press the button again, same for the second person. If the light turns green at any point, walk straight through with your party. They never even batted an eye.

I was able to watch the number of reds to greens for about half and hour in the middle of the afternoon (might change depending on the time of the day). Overall there was about one red light to every five or six greens so the smugglers definitely have the odds in their favor. Additionally, the more "touristy" folks also definitely had their luggage rummaged through much less than your local travelers.

Of course, the procedures may have changed since then and improved but things tend to change slowly there so who knows?

HankB
July 6, 2005, 11:28 AM
No doubt individual Mexican shopkeepers, restauranteurs, etc., are fine folks, but I don't believe Mexico is a friend to the USA.

For that reason, I will NOT go and spend my $$$ down there. Florida, Florida Keys, some parts of the TX Gulf Coast, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Hawaii, etc., . . . I'll go to ANY of these places before spending even one of my Yankee dollars in Vincente Fox's back yard.

LeonCarr
July 6, 2005, 11:46 AM
BigMike45,

I wouldn't go myself. See if your son can get his money back and keep your dollars at home.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

XLMiguel
July 6, 2005, 12:17 PM
OK, I apologize for the perceived broad brushing. I have no problem with the Mexican people in Mexico, or the Mexicans who come here legallly. However, I have a huge problem with the Mexican government (and illegal immigrant in general), and I don't believe Mexico to be our friend. The reasons have been well stated by others.

As far as those Mexicans who came here, served in the Marines and earned their citizenship, God bless them - they made a commitment and invested in their new country - they did it a right way. And thank you for your service, too.

I have no use for those who come here to take advantage of the system, won't learn the language, have no regard for the law, etc. Though many are just hungry, many are also criminal scum, and it is the scum to whom my remarks were aimed; but I have no desire to accomodate the illegals, regardless of their motives. IMO, they are all a drag on the economy and in many cases, the QOL. I'll spare you the rest of the rant, others can do it better than I :evil:

FWIW, if I want to visit a foreign country, I want to experience the culture and lifestyle. Somehow, the Pizza Huts, Burger Kings, and other bits of 'mall americana' that infest Cancun and Cozumel would kinda ruin the experience (not that you can really get away from that stuff much of anywhere in the world anymore). But as long as teh Mexican government follows its currenct policies, I won't be spending any $$ to go there.

And back on thread, their hypocritical, ineffective gun laws suck, too.

Sawdust
July 6, 2005, 12:18 PM
+1 re what HankB said.

Sawdust

Polishrifleman
July 6, 2005, 02:46 PM
Go and enjoy yourself, take a day trip by ferry across to Playa Del Carmen, they have really spiced that town up. Great shopping at major stores not local shops. Don't take your gun, use your common sense and have fun. It is a tourists island, most locals can't afford to live there and if they can they know where there money comes from. It is probably 85% or more unihabited.

The major road system is shaped like a lower case b. The West coast is hotels from N to S a road runs across the middle to some ruins in the middle and a bar at the coast, then nothing to the south until you get to another bar (Bob Marley's) and the lighthouse at the SE tip. Try a scuba trip if you dive, it is great. No real need to rent a car depending on where your hotel is, but the beaches to the south are really nice. Nothing on the East coast except garbage from the Ocean. The ruins in the middle of the island are pretty cool.

One last thing, thank your son for the thought. I hope that my kids are as thoughtful when they are older.

Sportcat
July 6, 2005, 02:52 PM
Ferry Ride :barf: :barf: :barf: from Cozumel to the mainland was not good.

My family took the ferry ride (aka Hurl-i-nator) in November during our cruise. It is a high-speed catamaran.

Seas were choppy from a storm - not a great experience.

If you enjoyed reading about "Going to Cozumel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!