Off-topic posts

PDA

Oleg Volk
March 20, 2003, 10:02 AM
Just to make the job of keeping this site on track: war discussions go to L&P, except for tech-related topics which go in General or specific forums (rifle/handguns/etc).

Where do pictures of girls wrapped in flags, sociopath jokes, muffin recipes and all other items not related to RKBA/out civil rights or weapons? Some other forum please.

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Off-topic posts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Edward429451
March 20, 2003, 11:42 AM
In the OT forum of course. I agree that firearms related threads are the mainstay and driving force of the board and should generally be respected. But lets face it, knives are technically OT and they have a forum. A forum for recipes (game shot with a GUN) is very relevant, as well as other issues that are relevant in obscure ways to guns. Like SHTF threads sometimes logically progress to other issues like map reading, navigation, and general issues of survival and equipment beyond the immediate topic of arms.

The new 'From Bullet to Table' forum, has a nice ring to it!

With all due respect, and not meaning to be argumentitive, but lots of things are pertinent and deserving to be discussed by the good minds of the board.

cordex
March 20, 2003, 11:49 AM
<SHAMELESS PROMOTION>
Try THR's sister forum: http://www.thefiringrange.com

The Shooter's Lounge is set up for just these sorts of things.
Especially the pictures of attractive ladies draped in American flags. Er ... or maybe not. Just email those to cordex@ ... *grin*

Oleg Volk
March 20, 2003, 11:54 AM
As mentioned in the tech support forum, plety of things related to wars, survival int he wild, cooking freshly-killed goblins and the like are a gray area. But could we at least avoid obviously off-topic items like "which ethnic group CNN told us to hate today" or "Which beer with venison shot using a 30-30?" or pics of ladies draped in flags, furs or ammo belts. Nothing against any of the topics mentioned but THR has a specific, narrowly-defined mission and those detours don't help it.

Edward429451
March 20, 2003, 01:29 PM
I coccur with the ladies in flags thing. Not that I dont appreciate nice ladies, just that there's a time & place for that and a forum for guns and people who want the younger generation to participate, is not the place.

D_Burchfield
March 20, 2003, 02:14 PM
As the backbenchers would say--"hear, hear"

As long as it is RELEVANT to the purpose of the forum.

Good shooting:)

Russ
March 20, 2003, 03:01 PM
I don't know, if you have puictures of girls wrapped in flags, they could go under legal & political. They're making a patriotic statement after all! I bet El Tejon would agree with me.

cratz2
March 20, 2003, 07:14 PM
If were honestly looking for a place to put recipes and not just a 'which beer' (Labatts) or 'favorite whisky' (Crown) threads, the Hunting forum has quite a few threads concerning how to prepare game. It just seems like the L&P and the General forums get most of the entirely off topic posts and I'd be willing to bet that's where most threads are locked as well. ;)

Gewehr98
March 20, 2003, 08:47 PM
:scrutiny:

beckrodgers
March 20, 2003, 09:42 PM
I think we understand why our thread on poison ivy was closed,either it was not firearm related or some sort of legal ,med. advice consideration,altho in a funny way it dawned on me ,it definatly firearm related,if the eyes are swollen shut how do you see to aim? Or shaking and scracthing so bad would definatly give new meaning to the term Gun Control. We definatly appreciate the help here and elsewhere & are learning these forums fast.Thank you all for the help,well be more attentive to topic.Beck&Bobby

gburner
March 20, 2003, 10:55 PM
I find the whole decision making process re: what is ot to be rather arbitrary and just as likely to hinge on the moderators mood, likes/dislikes, political leanings,etc. Or maybe it's the cycle of the moon. YMMV.:uhoh:

Oleg Volk
March 21, 2003, 12:18 AM
gburner,

Advice on how we could better do this is always welcome. We make no claim to perfection or infalliability, only to trying to do our best. Please advise on objective criterea for on/off-topic differentiation.

faustulus
March 21, 2003, 01:02 AM
Advice on how we could better do this is always welcome. We make no claim to perfection or infalliability, only to trying to do our best. Please advise on objective criterea for on/off-topic differentiation.

I, too, notice a lot of topics that are deemed off topic and closed and others that are let slide, and while I realize it is subjective decision, I think a good way to help would be to have a brief explanation about why it is off topic. Maybe a sentence or two from the moderator explaining why they closed it. This would serve two purposes. One it would let posters know there the batters box is -- sorry baseball season is close enough to smell :) -- and it would get the moderator to think about why they are closing a topic. Maybe this would lead to more consistancy. Not to be argumentative but it is annoying how some threads are closed as "OT" where an arguement could be made and others such as "prayers" left.
Just my $.02

ed dixon
March 21, 2003, 02:14 AM
Okay, this is prima facie OT so I'm closing it. Oleg, I'm the secret moderator the other mods recruited to stifle your reign of common sense. On a peripheral note I think faustulus may be a heathen. Okay, my keyboard just shocked me. Let me wrap this up by saying the smilies have a grievance related to ... Alright, another shock. My apologies.

gburner
March 21, 2003, 06:52 AM
Oleg,

Thank you and everyone else for their hard work. I hope you weren't being cheeky in you're response.

My advice, since asked, would be to maintain strict discipline in the subject matter of each post in each section. You have already set guidelines.

Establish a separate section for general member banter and/or topics that don't fit into other sections. Edit as needed for language, etc. :)

280PLUS
March 21, 2003, 08:35 AM
an open forum where we could fool around and post things we find funny or interesting that may not have anything to do with firearms.

i originally thought that was what THIS "general discussion" topic was for but i'm seeing otherwise now.

like i just got a hilarious george dubya / iraq political type cartoon that i'm sure we would all enjoy, (or most of us, anyways) but looking through the topics there is no viable place for it so, in deference to your request, i'm not going to post it anywhere.

:(

thanx for listening...i feel better now...

:D

Waitone
March 21, 2003, 08:36 AM
I, too, notice a lot of topics that are deemed off topic and closed and others that are let slide, and while I realize it is subjective decision, I think a good way to help would be to have a brief explanation about why it is off topic. Maybe a sentence or two from the moderator explaining why they closed it. That's a 10-4, good buddy!

Oleg Volk
March 21, 2003, 09:34 AM
Regarding "prayers needed": one of the functions of THR, perhaps the main function for many participants, is emotional support from like-minded people. That's one "OT" which isn't by going to be closed by design. I am not talking about "I skinned my knee, feel sorry for me" but rather "something truly horrible happened, please advise or comfort".

10-4 on reasons, at least in non-obvious cases. Giving thought to a banter area but not sure it will happen.

seeker_two
March 21, 2003, 10:19 AM
Maybe breaking the General Discussion board up into a "General Gun Discussion" and "General Non-Gun Discussion" would be better. It would give those who talk about things other than firearms a forum to trade stories, jokes, prayer requests, and other "OT" items while keeping it in a place that others who want to stick strictly to guns can avoid.

I also agree on the moderators explaining why a thread is OT before closing it. It would help posters understand & follow the guidelines better. Also, to quote my father, "If you can't explain why you did it, it must not have been that good a reason."...:scrutiny:

Brad Johnson
March 21, 2003, 12:16 PM
As others have pointed out I've seen several threads closed that were relevant, even though they might not have "exactly" met the guidelines of the particular area of the forum.

Personally, I think it's the lazy way out just to "close" a thread instead of simply moving it the particular forum of choice for "other" topics. Since the main discussion thread is labeled "General Discussion" so that's where everything goes. If the moderators want to keep the "General" thread strictly firearms related, then open up another thread and call it "Shooters' Lounge" or something similar and specify that it is for all "other" discussions. We would still have guidelines limiting tasteless, juvenile, or otherwise generally offensive posts, but it would still be a place for other stuff - concerns, humor, etc.

Oleg, we appreciate the forum, and the hard work you put into it. This little change should reduce the amount of work on the moderators (having to police the threads) and curb more than a few bent feelings from folks who had threads closed even though it was something that concerns all of us but didn't necessarily fall under the strict guidelines of other topics.

Brad

Jason Demond
March 21, 2003, 07:01 PM
As much as I would like to have an OT forum here on THR, I think everyone should abide by the rules they agreed to.

www.Gun-Talk.com

beckrodgers
March 22, 2003, 09:01 AM
If we really wanted to push the matter of OTs we would go over to Family, Friends and Firearms or pistolsmith or maybe even the Your Backyard this is a good place, so are the others. Some of them have more forums. We go to about 20 different ones pretty regularly. THR, FFF, and Perfect Union being our choices. There are so many and being new, to the internet is somewhat difficult. Thanks

twoblink
March 23, 2003, 10:05 AM
Everything I can swallow; except for the recipes part.

One of the main points (and a good supporting arguement for hunting) is that the kill is used for food. So how to keep it from spoiling, how to field dress it, where to shoot it so you keep most of the meat but maintain a humane kill etc.. Is very relevant.

Mal H
March 23, 2003, 10:26 AM
Come on now, twoblink. He said muffin recipes! The implied meaning of which is anything which is as far removed from firearms, RKBA, civil rights, etc. as a muffin is not a proper subject on THR. I doubt you will ever see a venison, duck, or any game recipe booted from the Hunting Forum.

Sven
March 23, 2003, 10:30 AM
I, too, notice a lot of topics that are deemed off topic and closed and others that are let slide, and while I realize it is subjective decision, I think a good way to help would be to have a brief explanation about why it is off topic.

Seems most threads I've seen locked down have a brief note posted by the 'locker'.

Sometimes there is a non-broadcasted hope in the moderation team that a particular OT thread will die itself and simply 'drop down' off the active forums list without a lock. Sometimes these OT threads refuse to die, so they are taken out behind the barn, so to speak.

Other times, OT (and even ON TOPIC) threads are closed because members are uncivil to each other or other groups of people.

I suggest rereading the Rules of Conduct (http://www.thehighroad.org/code-of-conduct.html) for posting guidelines.

If you spot an OT post or something else going 'downhill', please help the moderators of that forum with a quick PM with a link to the thread.

Thanks,

-s

Alan Fud
March 23, 2003, 12:50 PM
Off-topic threads are more than welcomed at ...

» www.FamilyFriendsFirearms.com « (http://www.FamilyFriendsFirearms.com)

... As a matter of fact, it was specifically created when TFL banned Off-Topic discussion back in 2000 AD.

-- Alligator Al http://fud-files.netfirms.com/image/port2-jj.jpg (http://www.FamilyFriendsFirearms.com/)

beckrodgers
March 23, 2003, 12:57 PM
Thanks Alan,FFF is A great place as is The High Road.

Pathfinder
March 23, 2003, 01:24 PM
Like Al said...

Come on over to the FFF...

We welcome Off Topic threads;)

Gusgus
March 23, 2003, 07:24 PM
Folks,
Oleg has every right to determine what topics can, and can not be discussed here. Due to band width, off topic posts where not welcome at TFL, and it's clear that they're not welcome here. Oleg's desires and wishes for this board deserve just as much respect from we, the members, as Richard's did over on TFL. If you feel you must discuss off topics with members of the gun community, there are other places you can do that. FFF (www.familyfriendsfirearms.com) is one of those places.

Originally posted by Oleg
Where do pictures of girls wrapped in flags, sociopath jokes, muffin recipes and all other items not related to RKBA/out civil rights or weapons? Some other forum please.

Sociopath Jokes? - well you can put them in our Make Me Laugh forum, as long as you provide a proper rating warning.

Muffin Recipes? - they'll be right at home in our Around The House forum.

Camping, Hiking, Fishing & Rving? - The Great Outdoors.

Other Off Topic Discussions? - Hob Knobbing is the place.

Girls Wrapped in Flags? - Sorry, we don't have one for that yet. :D :D

Nothing wrong with visiting more then one gun forum. That way you can have your off topic discussions, and still abide by Oleg's wishes here.

Mike Irwin
March 23, 2003, 08:11 PM
What?

We don't have a forum for sociopathic flag-wrapped muffins?

I'm shocked. :)

Gewehr98
March 23, 2003, 08:14 PM
But at least it's ok to pray for the flag-wrapped girl. ;)

45King
March 24, 2003, 08:07 AM
Gusgus wrote:Girls Wrapped in Flags? - Sorry, we don't have one for that yet.

Ah, but we DO! The Photo Albums: Family, Pets, Toys, and Devil2. I'd suggest Devil2 for the flag wrapped babes.

QuikClik
March 24, 2003, 01:30 PM
my attraction to the High Road was via Tom Gresham's Gun Talk recommendation. I consider anything military related to be also gun related as without guns there is no military/militia and vice versa.

I have deleted all personal information from my profile and alas.... could not find a button to withdraw from the High Road so I will simply do as you suggest and not return and find another forum.

The QuikClik heads for the low road...... :(

Edward429451
March 24, 2003, 04:24 PM
Oh my God, THR's not perfect. Doesn't cater everything to everybody, I better withdraw membership.:rolleyes:

I'm here till you boot me!:D

ajacobs
March 24, 2003, 07:03 PM
Have all these people who like OT discussion been to boards that have it. I have and that is a big turn off. I really appreiate Oleg and staff sticking to their guns on this issue. After all we are all guests here. This is the only board I read the "General catch all" catagory of. Even when boards have general gun and general non gun sections they tend to overlap. There are litererly millions of forums out there for every topic. Just becuase I am interested in guns and horses and politics and baking cookies, does not mean I would dare to presume that you are excited and would want to know my world champion appy mare had a great filly or that I replace 1/2 the called for brown sugar with honey to keep my cookies soft.

Oleg, Thanks again. I am sure you are begiing to look like the presedent when he gave his 48 hr notice to Saddam last week. Totally wore out with the issue but set in your resolve.

Alan Fud
March 25, 2003, 06:37 AM
No one board can be all things to all people. That's why there are many different boards on the web. What may appeal to one person, may be a turn-off for another person ... and that's okay.

I, personally, am a member of many different gun boards. Several of them I visit regularily and a few of them feel like home. Every board has (or SHOULD have) it's own unique look, feel and personality to it.

If you are unhappy with one board, or just in the mood for something different, you are free to visit another board. It's not like a marriage where you are allowed to have only one wife.

The gun boards are not (or should not be) in competition with one another. Instead, they all have something different to offer it's members and all of them put together help define the pro-gun community.

Mal H
March 25, 2003, 08:50 AM
Very true, Alan, and well said.

And with that I am going to take the liberty of closing this thread. All that can be said has already been said, either here or in the numerous other threads on the same subject. For those who feel any further discussion is necessary, please see: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14800

If you enjoyed reading about "Off-topic posts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!