Craziest firearm "fact"...

PDA

Feanaro
July 1, 2005, 05:21 PM
you've read on the internet? The internet is a great tool for communicating and researching. But, as in life, there are always people who seem to live an another universe. So, share your outrageous stories and the like.

On another message board a fellow claimed that a .44 Magnum had "plenty of stopping power compared to a 30-06". I guess those extra 1800-2000 foot-pounds of energy are pretty worthless, eh? And then went on to say that handguns(No qualifiers like "45-70 BFRs", just "handguns") were as effective as rifles under 100 yards. I guess the military has been issuing the wrong weapons. Drop the M4s, grab a .44 Magnum. :banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "Craziest firearm "fact"..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Stryker60
July 1, 2005, 06:05 PM
Have you ever used a .44 magnum on game? If you had, I think you'd agree with the statement. It is a hell of a lot more effective than any .223 against any animal over 150 pounds at less than 100 or even 150 yards. And yes, if the military used the .44 within that range, they would agree, not that the powers that be would change the issue weapon.

Have a happy 4th.

Stryker60

Gunwalker.44
July 1, 2005, 06:14 PM
Hollow point and soft point ammo vs ball. Military use is restricted to ball.
Hunters get to use HP and SP. 'Taint a fair comparison.
Then there's the question of recoil. Troopers of old complained about the
45-70 govt round.

Feanaro
July 1, 2005, 06:33 PM
The .44 Magnum may, or may not, be more effective than .223/5.56mm. I wasn't actually trying to say that. I simply picked a rifle out of the air. Perhaps a bad rifle to choose. But he compared a .44 Magnum to a 30-06 and later stated that handguns are just as effective as rifles within a certain range. Following this logic, .44 Magnum is as effective as 30-06 under 100 yards.

Now, on with the stories.

dolanp
July 1, 2005, 07:15 PM
A .45 will knock a man back several feet onto his back.

griz
July 1, 2005, 07:27 PM
My favorite was a guy (maybe on TFL?) who claimed his buddy had a Glock in 454 Casull. :rolleyes: I couldn't tell if he was joking or stupid, but he insisted despite evidence to the contrary.

Standing Wolf
July 1, 2005, 07:30 PM
If a .45 A.C.P. bullet so much as grazes a man's arm, he'll die on the spot.

RevDisk
July 1, 2005, 07:35 PM
If a .50 BMG round grazes your finger, your head will explode from hydrostatic force. :D

Grape Ape
July 1, 2005, 07:39 PM
A (friend of a friend who is a) security guard claims that one of the instructors in her armed guard class was local cop who let her fire his duty sidearm, a .38 cal Glock.

DonNikmare
July 1, 2005, 07:40 PM
A .45 will knock a man back several feet onto his back. "...even if it hits him in the arm or leg."

"A mercury filled JHP will kill ya even if it just nicks ya in the ear. The mercury gets into your blood stream and..." :scrutiny:

Derby FALs
July 1, 2005, 07:42 PM
That could have been a .357 Sig or a 9mm..

nico
July 1, 2005, 07:42 PM
"if you're going to use a 9mm for defense, you might as well use a BB gun"

or maybe the one about .50BMG being capable of shooting down airplanes, but that one didn't come from the internet. . . :rolleyes:

Sir Aardvark
July 1, 2005, 09:09 PM
I once heard that the Glock was a good firearm.......

bogie
July 1, 2005, 09:12 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like the collective IQ around here has been dropping?

ZeroX
July 1, 2005, 09:25 PM
I just got done with a guy who claimed that the .50 BMG would tear off flesh if it passed within six inches of somebody. :rolleyes:

torpid
July 1, 2005, 09:28 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like the collective IQ around here has been dropping?

Astute annotation, my perspicacious and sophic associate!

(Duhhh...droooooooooooooool)

:p

Sunray
July 1, 2005, 09:28 PM
"....50BMG being capable of shooting down airplanes..." It is. Your Air Force armed their aircraft with it from the mid-30's until just after Korea. So can a .50 BMG rifle, but the shooter would have to be very, very good with a 20 plus pound rifle to do it.
"...does it seem like the collective IQ around here has been dropping?..." School's out.

Godfather
July 1, 2005, 09:34 PM
Heard a story 'bout a guy who accidentally bought "military ammo" (he meant FMJ) and shot through his sandbank, ricocheted it off a rock, sent it through a brick wall where is lodged, completely pristine, in the plaster ceiling. Think he was shooting an AK.

ZeroX
July 1, 2005, 09:38 PM
Ugh, the same people claiming the silly .50 cal stuff now say that depleted uranium rounds create a small nuclear explosion on impact. :barf: :barf: :barf:

Silent-Snail
July 2, 2005, 12:46 AM
ZeroX I wish. :D

Strings
July 2, 2005, 01:00 AM
Silent Snail: wanting that would depend (for me at least) on the fallout range. I mean, if it's effective range is only 200-300 yards, but the fallout range is a mile...

Oh wait... didn't the government TRY that one in the 50s?

Was sitting with a friend in a diner one day, and overheard"commando boy" at the next table running through all the BS about .45s (that thing'll knock ya back 20 ft if it hit's ya!) and .50s (you'll kill the guy if you just get within a foot of hitting him!). Friend was laughing within 5 minutes: told me later he thought I was gonna explode from keeping myself from the cry of "BS!"...

Third_Rail
July 2, 2005, 01:03 AM
Funny, I actually know a man who was shot with a .50 BMG by mistake/neglect in Vietnam (a friend of my father). Interesting scar on his arm (upper, toward the shoulder, right arm).

Said he was lucky to have kept the arm, and lucky the gunner missed his head or chest. Thought he was VC or something, he didn't go into much detail.

thorn726
July 2, 2005, 01:57 AM
if you try to use a gun to defend yourself, the BG will get the gun form you and shoot YOU with it!!!

i can't beleive how many times i have heard that one

nico
July 2, 2005, 02:35 AM
I just saw a thread full of good ones on another board. A guy posted asking about where he could get a tac light and silencer for an HK Mk23 SOCOM. Somehow the topic shifted to why he doesn't just buy a real gun and he came up with this jewel:
I'm pretty sure I couldn't give two ***** about killing someone as that is illegal. And, I'm pretty sure If you were just going to scare someone, an all-metal airsoft with a painted tip would would work just as well.
:scrutiny:
When someone told him that doing that would probably get him killed, he replied with:

good point

Maybe I will get a real gun too...

methinks the concept of using a gun for self-defense escapes him. Kinda makes me glad he's only interrested in toy guns. :uhoh:

cracked butt
July 2, 2005, 03:14 AM
If you spray handgun bullets with teflon lubricating oil, they will penetrate bulletproof vests.

Snowdog
July 2, 2005, 04:26 AM
"Witnesses say the attacker then left the location in a silver sedan and officials warn he is armed with a .30-30 assault-type rifle"

So on and so forth.

Strings
July 2, 2005, 04:36 AM
why am I suddenly picturing a lever-action with a bayonette lug?

c_yeager
July 2, 2005, 05:20 AM
99% of EVERYTHING that i have ever heard spoken about the AR15 or the .223 cartridge has been complete and utter garbage. Im glad that i have always been sceptical of "common knowledge" and managed to find actual facts.

LaEscopeta
July 2, 2005, 08:37 AM
Quote:

Astute annotation, my perspicacious and sophic associate!
Torid:

Quick off topic excursion; what does “sophic” mean?

Adjective describing a sophist? Or someone making a sophism?

Something to do with Sappho? (Really off topic.)

(BTW unless they come up with a negative scale, I am safe from my IQ droping.)

bogie
July 2, 2005, 08:48 AM
Observation 1) If the recent increase in traffic on a firearms related discussion site is due to school being out, that _might_ be a good thing, even if most of 'em have only fired a gun in video games...

Observation 1a) Seems like we've got more trolls...

Observation 2) Yawn....

Ric
July 2, 2005, 12:24 PM
I can't believe I'm the first one to say this......

the M-16 has a "tumbling" bullet and if you get shot in the shoulder it will come out your leg. :rolleyes:

I am a member of the International High IQ Society
http://www.highiqsociety.org/noflash/home.asp

But I feel my IQ dropping :(

Freedomv
July 2, 2005, 02:04 PM
I was just told yesterday, July 1st "05, That the Army used a necked down 50 cal. BMG round in sniper rifles in Veitnam.
"Really?"
Vern

ChickenHawk
July 2, 2005, 02:21 PM
I know you guys are kidding (well, I hope so anyway! :uhoh: ) but whenever I hear stories about a .45 hit knocking people over backwards I remind them about Newton's Third Law:

"For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction."

If a .45 could knock over your attacker it would send you backwards when you shot it!

BTW, I carry a .45 G36. But I don't count on it knocking an attacker over backwards. :)

Cheers!
ChickenHawk

PS- Not to be confused with the third law of robotics. That one says:
"A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law." :D

Vern Humphrey
July 2, 2005, 02:26 PM
I was just told yesterday, July 1st "05, That the Army used a necked down 50 cal. BMG round in sniper rifles in Veitnam.
"Really?"
Vern

I'd have to see some documentation of that before I'd accept it.

Early sniper rifles were a hodgepodge -- Winchester Model 70s and supposedly some 03A4s. The Marines led the way there, and asked Winchester to produce some new pre-'64 style Model 70s. Winchester wouldn't oblige, so they turned to Remington who, to their credit, gave the Marines exactly what they wanted.

The Army went a different route and started issuing accurized M14s. I had two of those in my company, with as I recall, Lyman Alaskan scopes on them. Later the Army standardized the M21 Sniper Rifle, and adopted the Leatherwood auto-ranging scope (after first turning it down when it was offered to them for free.)

In some special cases (watch towers on base perimeters) there were some .50 caliber M2 Brownings set up with scopes and starlight scopes. These were set on semi-auto and heavily sandbagged -- but I don't recall seeing or hearing of special purpose .50 caliber rifles in those days.

Feanaro
July 2, 2005, 02:59 PM
.45ACP won't knock people down? :uhoh:
;)

I had another interesting conversation with a guy who said that a "Glock 9mm" is more accurate and has less recoil than a "9mm Beretta". I wonder if that extends to the compact models? And then he went on to say that the trigger was the fastest one in the world because of the reset. And that the trigger was preferred by target shooters. And where is he located? England. And how old is he? Younger than 17. :cuss: :neener:

Vern Humphrey
July 2, 2005, 04:18 PM
I had another interesting conversation with a guy who said that a "Glock 9mm" is more accurate and has less recoil than a "9mm Beretta". I wonder if that extends to the compact models? And then he went on to say that the trigger was the fastest one in the world because of the reset. And that the trigger was preferred by target shooters. And where is he located? England. And how old is he? Younger than 17.

The English have some nice illustrated books -- their version, I suppose of our "Whatever for dummies."

I picked up one that purported to explain how everything works. I idly flipped to "guns" and was informed that the M1911A1 has a "handle clip" and that the tip of the grip safety tang is the "firing pin." :confused:

Matt G
July 2, 2005, 05:12 PM
:rolleyes: I had it explained to me a couple of weeks ago that the .50 BMG made such an awesome sniper round [which of course it is, but not for this supposed "fact"] because a near miss will "rip your arm right off of your body."
:rolleyes:

Regarding the .44 Magnum vs '06 issue, of course there's no comparison. But this probably stemmed from the claim being made that full-power .500 S&W is equal to .30-'06 loads. It's not quite the same, but I'll grant that it's close. People are translating the one handgun round to the other.

BigSlick
July 2, 2005, 05:26 PM
The one that still makes me laugh every time I hear it...

'a .357 magum will go right thru an engine block' - of course this is purely wrong. It won't, at any range.

As a side note, a 500 S&W with 440 gr LFNGC ahead of a near max charge of H110 definitely will penetrate. but not come out the other side:) from about 35 yds.

BigSlick

Vern Humphrey
July 2, 2005, 05:33 PM
I had it explained to me a couple of weeks ago that the .50 BMG made such an awesome sniper round [which of course it is, but not for this supposed "fact"] because a near miss will "rip your arm right off of your body."

Not so long ago, I read of a claim that a .50 BMG going past your head "will suck your brains right out your ears."

I was tempted to say, "Wow! The one that missed you must have come awfully close!" :p

VARifleman
July 2, 2005, 05:34 PM
A (friend of a friend who is a) security guard claims that one of the instructors in her armed guard class was local cop who let her fire his duty sidearm, a .38 cal Glock.
They were probably under the assumtion that .380 is actually .38 caliber. I do know someone who has a Glock 25. He got it working security and that's all I know.

UberPhLuBB
July 2, 2005, 06:08 PM
If a .50 BMG round grazes your finger, your head will explode from hydrostatic force.

That's hydrokinetic force. :neener:

Diane Feinswine's canned email response to pro-gun types included something like "AK-47's can shoot 300 rounds in a matter of seconds." I've never seen a 300 round magazine (what would that be, about 6 ft long and curl like a ram's horn off to the side?), and not even Bob Munden or Jerry Miculek could pull his finger that fast.

Damn idiots.

Vern Humphrey
July 2, 2005, 06:21 PM
Diane Feinswine's canned email response to pro-gun types included something like "AK-47's can shoot 300 rounds in a matter of seconds." I've never seen a 300 round magazine (what would that be, about 6 ft long and curl like a ram's horn off to the side?), and not even Bob Munden or Jerry Miculek could pull his finger that fast.

Damn idiots.

My .45 caliber flintlock can shoot 300 rounds in a matter of seconds -- about 6,000 to be exact. ;)

Dionysusigma
July 2, 2005, 06:27 PM
BigSlick: The one that still makes me laugh every time I hear it...

'a .357 magum will go right thru an engine block' - of course this is purely wrong. It won't, at any range.

On this thread, http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=2660 , read post #72 by Desert Dog and post #73 by jacketch. No reason to make stories like that up...

I've a couple of "facts"...
"Revolvers with 8" barrels have twice the recoil of 4" revolvers!"
"The tolerances of an AK are so loose, you can hear the round rattling in the chamber!"
"Bolt-actions are old and boring."
"It's Tactical!"

CajunBass
July 2, 2005, 06:38 PM
If you shoot a BG with a .380, (or 22, or 25, or whatever) it will just make him mad.

ewb45acp
July 2, 2005, 09:51 PM
It might even make me dead. And I'de be mad about that too.

Standing Wolf
July 2, 2005, 10:30 PM
If you soak bullets in garlic oil, the wound will hurt more.

nico
July 2, 2005, 10:34 PM
I'm surprised none of us thought of this one yet:
bullets are coated with teflon to make them slide through bullet proof vests. That's also what hollow points are for

Zach S
July 2, 2005, 10:47 PM
Lets not forget about filing the firing pin down on something makes it fully automatic :rolleyes:

That was real popular when I was in HS a few years ago. I didnt hear it for a while, then a co-worker said I should file the firing pin down on my thompson :banghead:

If you soak bullets in garlic oil, the wound will hurt more. That might work against a vampire...

Uh oh, maybe I shouldn't have said that...

Strings
July 3, 2005, 03:15 AM
Well... I seem to recall reading somewhere that a drop of garlic juice sealed in a large-cavity hollowpoint would add the problem of blood poisoning to any non-fatal wound...

cobb
July 3, 2005, 08:28 AM
My .45 caliber flintlock can shoot 300 rounds in a matter of seconds -- about 6,000 to be exact.

I like that one. :p

molonlabe
July 3, 2005, 09:14 AM
The 50 Cal semiautomatic Assault rifle can knock the moon out of orbit causing massive climate changes, earthquakes and flooding!

cobb
July 3, 2005, 09:27 AM
The 50 Cal semiautomatic Assualt rifle can knock the moon out of orbit causing massive climate changes, earthquakes and flooding!

Now, where did you hear that one? :scrutiny:

smokemaker
July 3, 2005, 12:15 PM
What, no ice bullets that melt after impact so there's no ballistics evidence to trace??
I'm dissapointed. :(

iapetus
July 3, 2005, 01:17 PM
"The civilian versions of assault weapons are even more dangerous than the military ones, because they are semi-automatic and so more accurate" (paraphrased from VPC or similar in the run-up to the end of the AWB).

"In America, you can just walk into a gun shop and come out with a machinegun" (seen several times on UK forums in discussions about firearm laws).

I mentioned it in another thread already, but my local newpaper was talking about a recent arsenal* seized in London, that included a "Beretta .9mm" (later refered to as a ".9" and a "9-cal"), and "Glock machine-pistols". (And a previous issue said that BB guns are "weapons of mass destruction" that can easily be converted to fire live ammo, "fueling a devestating trade in DIY death")

I'm surprised noone has mentioned that if you duck-tape a trauma plate to your back, you can provide hard cover for your partner.

*In this particular case, arsenal = several guns all siezed from different sources.

Rovi
July 3, 2005, 03:52 PM
"Guns are illegal in Ireland"
We get that one pretty regularly :cuss:

"You can get a machine-gun in any corner shop in America" is something of a favourite too :D

molonlabe
July 3, 2005, 09:59 PM
Now, where did you hear that one?

OK, OK. I made it up, but I'm sure it will be posted on the VPC website soon.

If you enjoyed reading about "Craziest firearm "fact"..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!