My first trip to D.C. today.

PDA

SHOOT1SAM
July 1, 2005, 10:41 PM
As the title says, today was my first trip to Washington, D.C.

The only sight I saw today was Arlington National Cemetery.

It was all I needed to see today.

My thanks to all of our members who have served/are serving this still-great Country.

Sam

If you enjoyed reading about "My first trip to D.C. today." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
countertop
July 2, 2005, 12:40 AM
Are you in the military??? IF so, avoid the crowds on the forth and head over to the Fort Myers Officer club to watch the fireworks. Probably the best view in DC (next to my office window)

Other sights to see

Air & Space Museum (both the original in DC and the annex at Dulles)
National Firearms Museum (at the NRA - just 5 miles down the road from the Dulles A&S museum - right off I-66)

The National Gallery of Art - they do excellent breakfast concerts on Sunday mornings in the atrium (and the flowers are pretty damn impressive too - so are the paintings)

Take the DC Ducks tour - you can get tickets at Union Station. Just did this for the first time ever a few weeks ago - its fantastic - the best tourist thing in DC bar none.

Visit the zoo - its great, its free (well, like everything, you paid lots of taxs for it)

Go to the botanical gardens on the mall - and if you have the time hit the National Arboretum

Try to get tickets to a Nats game - I don't think they are sold out for this weekend, but it should be close with the Mets in town.

See the WWII memorial - everything else pales in comparison.

Go to the Phillips Museum (and the Corcoran)

Hit the Spy Museum (its expensive though - especially since everything else is pretty much free - well, except for that April 15 payment)

Enjoy DC. Its a great city and lots of fun.

chris in va
July 2, 2005, 01:50 AM
Yup, despite the anti status of the city, plenty to see and do there. That Spy Museum has piqued my interest for a couple years now...it's on my to-do list.

SHOOT1SAM
July 2, 2005, 09:09 PM
Not in the military, just have an immense amount of respect for them.

Made it to the WWII Memorial, the Korean War Memorial, the Vietnam Memorial and the Lincoln Memorial today, as well as back to more of Arlington National Cemetery.

Sam

Alex45ACP
July 2, 2005, 09:25 PM
Air & Space museum is the best.

Mr. Loud Guns
July 3, 2005, 12:45 AM
Yeah so to the air and space museum. It is the neatest thing they have disasembled jet engines, the wright flyer and just about every othe plane from A to Z. There is an annex in dulles? :D

garyk/nm
July 3, 2005, 08:53 AM
One spot which is rarely mentioned, and is (IMO) well worth the time, is the National Cathedral. The architecture is phenomenal and the stained glass work is truly amazing. If you have any appreciation of artistry, you will be blown away!
I have spent many hours there and have still not seen all of it.

http://www.cr.nps.gov/nr/travel/wash/dc5.htm

anapex
July 3, 2005, 09:17 AM
Yes there is an A&S annex at Dulles and man! is it ever an annex. The Enola Gay, Space shuttle Enterprise, and a concorde are among the things they have there. If you get the time to go to it, do it!

mordrid52
July 3, 2005, 11:22 AM
It's the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center.

http://www.nasm.si.edu/museum/udvarhazy/

Bulldozer
July 3, 2005, 01:15 PM
If you are over by the Lincoln Memorial, you should take a quick detour across the street and visit the Einstein Memorial at the National Academy of Sciences. He is tucked in a little garden off of the street. Great statue and you can climb up in his lap for a really cool picture.

It's a nice little nook that many folks overlook.

El Tejon
July 3, 2005, 03:38 PM
Going to take in the NRA museum?

mtnbkr
July 3, 2005, 04:00 PM
It's a nice little nook that many folks overlook
I've lived in this area for nearly 10 years (wow how time flies) and didn't know there was an Einstein memorial. I'm going to check it out next time I'm in the area.

Chris

SHOOT1SAM
July 3, 2005, 06:10 PM
My last post on this:

Saw the Einstein statue on a tourmobile; could not squeeze in the time to go by NRA Headquarters, but saluted as I drove past ;)

Made it into the Air & Space Museum; couldn't spend enough time there to do it justice.

Wanted to make it into the National Cathedral and the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception; didn't make it to either one.

Pulled into Ft. Meyers by mistake on the first day!

Decided not to spend 2 hours in line to go through the National Archives so we walked over to the White House, and then on to the Spy Museum-they were sold out until 5:00 pm!!! Because of time constraints, today was a little disappointing.

We came out to visit my oldest daughter's Godfather & his family; didn't truly desire to go into D.C. but figured we'd better for her sake, and now I wish we had more time to spend to be able to see more. If we make it back out here, we'll have a much better idea about things; going home tomorrow.

Sam

If you enjoyed reading about "My first trip to D.C. today." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!