Dead man walking

PDA

Hardware
July 2, 2005, 10:10 AM
So, I picked up the new 10/22 rifle (longer barrel, no barrell band, different stock) and planned on heading down to the range to test fire and plink a couple hundred rounds. My friend is leading the bachelor life while his wife and kids are away visiting her grandmother so I invite him along. We hit the range with my newest acquisition and the oldest pistol on the range, my new departure, first model 32 S&W. In this case S&W really does stand for Short and Weak, but how often do you get to fire a 100 year old gun?

Anyhow, after putting a good end to many paper targets he decides that he wants to buy a 10/22 just like mine. I volunteer to be his native guide to the local gun shop. All is going well until I realize his wife doesn't know. She'll probably spare his life for the kid's sake. I, however, am a dead man. :what:

(sigh) The sacrifices I make for the shooting sports. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Dead man walking" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
armoredman
July 2, 2005, 10:38 AM
What do you want on your Tombstone?

TarpleyG
July 2, 2005, 10:49 AM
"Here lies Hardware. He died trying to be a good friend."

Greg

Third_Rail
July 2, 2005, 10:53 AM
Should definately be

Hardware failure.
Please reboot.

Old Fuff
July 2, 2005, 10:57 AM
Since you won't be with us much longer, please send me the .32 S&W New Departure ... :evil: :D

CajunBass
July 2, 2005, 11:01 AM
Awww shucks. You ain't in no trouble. I got a buddy of mine to buy a bass boat one time. :what: I survived that.

I'm glad the FBI has that protection program though.

MICHAEL T
July 2, 2005, 11:56 AM
I help, a friend about 20 years ago only was a motorcycle not a 22 rifle He still rides and she still doesn't speak to me .

Standing Wolf
July 2, 2005, 05:54 PM
She'll probably spare his life for the kid's sake. I, however, am a dead man.

Get a restraining order and a panic button.

BlackJack
July 2, 2005, 08:32 PM
Hey Hard, one tip for you and your wayward friend--check the screw holding the stock to the receiver OFTEN and tighten it if it's loose. Without the barrel band, those screws tend to work loose, especially with a lot of firing. And who doesn't fire a 10/22 a lot?!?!?! Good luck and enjoy.

GLOCK19XDSC
July 2, 2005, 08:56 PM
Oh-HO! Simple. When your buddy's wife confronts you, your immediate response should be, "You mean you didn't KNOW? I thought you KNEW! If I would have know you didn't KNOW, I would have..."

Heh. :evil:

MountainPeak
July 2, 2005, 10:28 PM
Tell your friend, it ain't no big deal, to make a "call" without his wifes input. Damn, there are a lot of wimps out there!!!

Mr. Loud Guns
July 3, 2005, 01:35 AM
I think you should put that 10/22 under you pillow and keep a couple loaded mags with it :uhoh:

Hardware
July 3, 2005, 01:34 PM
Third Rail, your reasponse nearly made me snarf onto my keyboard. ROFL!

Fuff, if anybody gets the new departure, it'll be my girlfriend. If she doesn't want it it's yours. :)

Blackjack, that screw loosened up on us the first range session. Fortunately a quick tightening with the SOG powertool solved that. Good tip though.

Glock19XDSC, that's the exact tactic I'm going to use. You mean you didn't know?!?!?!

I just picked up a used Taurus .357 revolver. Totally a coincidence, I'm sure. :D

BlkHawk73
July 3, 2005, 02:42 PM
Didn't talk much w/ ya but you'll be mised. :p

geez, c'mon now how many of us tell the wife/gf about every firearm item we buy? I know that there's one particular wife that doesn't know about a few. Keep a little extra fund for your hobbies and it won't interfere with the regualr expences. Besides, what they don't know...

Or, to make it safe, bring up a likly gun purchse in the same conversation about her new shows/clothes from the mall. :p

If you enjoyed reading about "Dead man walking" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!