Another "doorbell in the night" scenario

PDA

Topgun
March 20, 2003, 12:02 PM
Wife and I were watching late night TV. Doorbell rings. Some kid with a girl in a lowered car are parked in front of house.
Kid is wildly gesturing and trying to get me to open the door.
Told kid to leave. He kept getting wilder. Looked crazy to me. Came back and kid saw me going for gun and took off real quick in that lowered car.

...........................................................................................
........................NOW...............The REST of the story..........
I was the kid.

This happened 40 years ago when I was out with the girl who is now my wife. Lodi, California.
I had a lowered '47 Ford convertible.
We were driving down the street and saw not only sparks, but FLAMES spouting out of this chimney.
I turned around, stopped in front of the house and rang the bell.
This old guy came to the door and looked out. I waved at him and tried to look smiley. He told me to go away.
I tried yelling and pointing up at the roof. I repeatedly yelled that there was FIRE on his roof. He YELLED for me to go away. I could see into his living room. He went to a drawer in an end table.

I took off.

Called FD from a phone booth and we went home. Maybe he cooked.....maybe not. Never stayed to find out.

Figured he wasn't going for his hearing aid. My motto was: Kid + old man + go to drawer = leave.

If you enjoyed reading about "Another "doorbell in the night" scenario" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Chipperman
March 20, 2003, 05:36 PM
Sounds like you did the right thing. You tried to warn him, but he wasn't hearing you. A lot of people would have given up at that point, but you went the extra mile and called the FD.

Not bad for a two-bit punk with a floozy in a hot rod. :neener:

spacemanspiff
March 20, 2003, 05:54 PM
you have pics of the convertible?

:evil:

cratz2
March 20, 2003, 05:54 PM
He must have had the best sealed door ever put in a house in the early 60s not to have heard that his house was on fire.

Oh lord, stuck in Lodi again...

Glock_PhD
March 20, 2003, 06:00 PM
I like the post. I read a lot of people here that seem to prejudge people especialy younger people to fast here. Being cautious is one thing. I am somewhat young, 23 to be exact. Have a couple of earings, more than a few tattoos, I listen to music in my car a lot that most of you would find offensive. But I am also without a doubt positive that most people here wouldn't mind spending a day at the range with me or even more extreme me coming home with your daughter. DOn't be so quick to judge people.

Topgun
March 21, 2003, 03:00 PM
Edelbrock heads and manifold. 2 Stromberg 97's. Winfield cam. Belond headers. Purple and white naugahyde. Chrome dash.

About on a par with the 55 and 56 Chevys and Pontiacs at the Tuesday night drags between Lodi and Stockton.

NO heater. brrrrrrr.....except she had to sit CLOSE.

http://www.tech-line.com/hockit/47.jpg

280PLUS
March 22, 2003, 06:57 AM
my stock 351 - 4v stang woulda kicked the doo doo outta yer,,,oh its a ford too, guess i'll give you a break. i sure did eat a lotta souped up chevy's with it though...!!

:neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "Another "doorbell in the night" scenario" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!