A couple of questions

PDA

Avenger29
July 2, 2005, 12:57 PM
I'm not a complete noob, but I have a couple of questions:

1. What is "bump-firing"?

2. Are there any firearms besides the various lever-actions that are chambered in .30-30 Winchester?

If you enjoyed reading about "A couple of questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Preacherman
July 2, 2005, 12:59 PM
"Bump-firing" is where you fire a semi-auto firearm with your finger pulling back on the trigger while your non-firing hand pulls the firearm forward, against the recoil forces. If you do it right, the trigger will re-set every time the gun fires, so that it will fire again (from the pressure of your finger) and repeat the cycle. Sounds like it's a full-auto weapon. Only done by those with more range time than sense... :neener:

As for the .30-30, it's chambered in single-shot rifles from H&R, and it may have been chambered in bolt-action rifles way back yonder. I don't know of any bolt-action rifles chambered for it today.

P95Carry
July 2, 2005, 01:23 PM
You can get 30-30 barrels for Contenders and I have a feeling you can get a Ruger #1 in that cal - falling block single shot.

A small bolt 30-30 with four or five round mag would be handy must say!

Standing Wolf
July 2, 2005, 04:52 PM
I can't swear to this, but I believe Remington has offered bolt action rifles in .30-30 now and then.

Jim K
July 2, 2005, 05:16 PM
Both the Remington 788 and the Savage 340 bolt actions were made in .30-30. The 788 was an accurate rifle and would handle fairly high pressures, and since the bolt action allowed use of pointed bullets, the .30-30 could be loaded to quite respectable pressure and velocity levels for that rifle. The old round surprised some folks with its accuracy under those conditions.

Jim

MechAg94
July 2, 2005, 06:07 PM
So I guess bump firing is just for playing around. If I am going to shoot as fast as I can, I want to see how accurate I can be doing it. Might be fun to try once or twice though. :)

P95Carry
July 2, 2005, 06:23 PM
MechAg - ''the bump'' is probably something everyone tries at some stage but - beyond initial novelty value it is a waste of good ammo - plus I have seen a good many cases where folks try it and are far from in control of the gun.

As it climbs and shots go higher - there is no berm that'll stop em - in which case a few miles of desert is needed to keep things safe.

Rapid fire as semi tho - now that is quite challenging and useful.

Nathanael_Greene
July 2, 2005, 10:22 PM
For those interested, used Savage .30-30 bolts are often found on sites like Gunbroker.

Right now, in fact, there's a couple, ranging from the not-so-nice(http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=33902604)
to the nice (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=33966301) to the pretty nice (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=34066807).

All are under $200. Pretty cute little rifles!

grizz5675
July 3, 2005, 06:11 PM
A word to any noobs out there and oldtimers alike who have never bump fired, I have bump fired many times at peoples request to see me do it,if you have nver done this ..it is very dangerous, you have less control of the gun and multiple recoil makes the gun climb. I have decided myself that i should have never bumpfired and from now on never will again.Luck only go's so far.

shermacman
July 3, 2005, 06:27 PM
All you need to know about bump firing!

http://www.lifelibertyetc.com/RangeBag.aspx

grizz5675:
I keep telling myself: "never again" too, each and every time! My AR-15 works best. I have never been able to bump fire my Garand successfully. To keep the rifle from climbing, grasp it from above, left hand coming down over the heat shield. Seriously, remote areas with substantial back stops only...
:eek:

If you enjoyed reading about "A couple of questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!