Anybody seen the film CRASH?

PDA

CentralTexas
July 2, 2005, 04:41 PM
http://www.crashfilm.com/

One of the finest movies I have ever seen. I am unsure if the gun stuff was handled well. The movie with a very diverse cast, Brendan Fraser, Sandra Bullock, Don Cheadle etc. is a unbiased look at how the races get along in L.A.. This is NOT a preachy left/right agenda movie, just a honest rep of how things are. The movie may be too real. The guns weren't demonized but shown as tools - they were important to many scenes and the story lines.
I just was wondering how anyone else felt.
CT

If you enjoyed reading about "Anybody seen the film CRASH?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kihnspiracy
July 2, 2005, 05:22 PM
I agree. My wife and I thought it was an excellent movie. I enjoyed how every character in the movie went thru a complete cycle of events. A very entertaining movie. I highly recommend it to everyone to watch.

CentralTexas
July 2, 2005, 05:25 PM
the guns were portrayed? I'm leaning to saying the film portrayed them as tools and unbiased, did you think so?

Blackcloud6
July 2, 2005, 09:37 PM
Just added it to my Blockbuster que. Thanks for the tip.

CentralTexas
July 2, 2005, 09:42 PM
not the 1996 release

blue86buick
July 3, 2005, 10:24 PM
I saw it, if not opening night, a few days after. Now, I'll admit I'm not one to remember details from a movie very well, so I can't comment on specifics, but I really enjoyed that movie. It's definetly something I wouldn't mind seeing again.

seansean
July 4, 2005, 03:49 AM
The guns were just tools, no anti-gun bias. I know that for a fact. CRASH is a great film. ;)

psyopspec
November 25, 2005, 12:54 PM
Recently picked up the dvd. It's a great film, and I agree there's no anti-gun bias. The guns don't drive people to crazed acts, and it's not just the cops and bad guys that have them.

Rob1035
November 25, 2005, 01:08 PM
I can't say I enjoyed it much, seemed like every racial cliche put to film...

Don Cheadle is one of my favorite actors though, and did a great job as usual.

bogie
November 25, 2005, 01:31 PM
Yeah, the 1996 film "Crash" is one of Cronenberg's weirder thingies...

SteveKompier
November 25, 2005, 02:49 PM
Just added it to my Blockbuster que. Thanks for the tip.

I don't use Blockbuster. I read awhile back that coporate policy is not to allow CCW in their stores. I don't remember where or when I read it, but I did.

mpthole
November 25, 2005, 03:29 PM
I didn't like the movie at all. I thought it dragged on and on and on and for what? To make the point that racism exists in some parts of society or that everyone has their own biases? :rolleyes:

Newsflash:... and this just in! Trees are made of wood!

Stolly
November 25, 2005, 04:25 PM
I'll have to agree with mpthole. Some may say "the end is the best part," but the problem was that I felt everything for the first hour sucked and there was no reason to continue watching the rest. There's no reason to use the language and extreme racial language to prove that everybody has some bit of prejudice in them. The scene where the two black guys talk about how people treat them as if they're gonna rob them and not tip them, then go and not tip and steal from the white couple is completely ridiculous. What was the point? Were they trying to say that everybody is correct about their prejudice's because no matter how you treat someone, they're gonna act a particular way anyway? Also, for those people less sensitive to language and more to nudity, the fact that this movie said nothing about Jennifer Esposito's exposed tit in "sexual content" was quite annoying. Call me crazy but if I go to a movie store and try to find a movie without nudity, I expect that when the back of the movie says "sexual content" and nothing about nudity that there should be no nudity in the movie.

CentralTexas
November 25, 2005, 04:46 PM
So sexual content= nudity & nudity=sexual?
CT

beaucoup ammo
November 25, 2005, 04:50 PM
Should be nominated for best pic if it's not too late.

Take Care

lamazza
November 25, 2005, 05:23 PM
I thought it was total garbage on par with most movies made in the last few years. It reaked of social commentary, racial profiling, interracial affairs,etc. etc. etc. I ,for one, am sick of having of having this BS shoved down my throat every time I go to rent a movie. What happened to being entertained?

O.F.Fascist
November 25, 2005, 05:41 PM
I liked it.

lysander
November 25, 2005, 06:32 PM
Call me crazy but if I go to a movie store and try to find a movie without nudity, I expect that when the back of the movie says "sexual content" and nothing about nudity that there should be no nudity in the movie.

Wow....and here I thought the lovely Ms. Esposito's display was one of the better points in the film. :p

Getting back on topic...I found Crash a pretty good movie. Yes the stereotypes were heavy handed, but I feel necessary, so as to move you more smoothly through the events in the film. I think it was a lot less about "racial friction" than it was about how closely connected we all are. All of us just a few steps from each other...and all of us just a mistake away from tragedy.

I give it 3.5/5 stars. :D

Regarding the use of firearms as a tool? Not so sure about that...I can't recall a point in the film where a firearm was presented in a positive light.

KriegHund
November 25, 2005, 06:39 PM
I thought it was a good movie. And actually, i rather though that the characters were far more 'human' than what you usually get when theres a racial stereotype.

psyopspec
November 25, 2005, 06:43 PM
I don't use Blockbuster. I read awhile back that coporate policy is not to allow CCW in their stores.

Is your local branch posted? I've never seen one in ND/MN (and MN, at least in MSP area, tends to have signage if corporate policy dictates).

So sexual content= nudity & nudity=sexual?

In this case the exposure occurs during sex, so that would hold true.

Lennyjoe
November 25, 2005, 07:11 PM
I read awhile back that coporate policy is not to allow CCW in their stores
Not here. I carry there all the time.

The movie was pretty decent.

CentralTexas
November 25, 2005, 07:25 PM
"I thought it was total garbage on par with most movies made in the last few years. It reaked of social commentary, racial profiling, interracial affairs,etc. etc. etc. I ,for one, am sick of having of having this BS shoved down my throat every time I go to rent a movie. What happened to being entertained?"

1-I'll try not to assume you meant that you disapprove of "interracial affairs" as in against "race mixing" as they used to say. If so you might want to buy this pistol-
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=167725
But as I said I'm assuming....

2- Well Crash showed at the local "high-brow artsy cinema" here & when I'm not in the mood for the latest mindless entertainment film I go there. Entertainment comes in many flavors.
CT

Biker
November 25, 2005, 08:01 PM
I enjoyed it. It depressed the hell out of me, but I enjoyed it.
Biker

jpIII
November 25, 2005, 11:15 PM
The guns weren't demonized but shown as tools - they were important to many scenes and the story lines.

I tend to disagree slightly.
******************SPOILER ALERT****************

The main point standing out in my mind was when the daugher(doctor) of the persian family said she would rather have the money back than the gun (at the gun shop).

This gun was later used in a fit of emotional anger by the father. It seemed to try to make the point that it would have been better had they not owned a gun, and only that due to the intelligence(read anti-gunness) of the daughter buying blanks was tragedy avoided.

Not a really big issue, but I found it to have a slightly anti leaning. Not much at all, just a bit.

ETA - also, the hispanic fellow explaining to his daughter that they moved out of their neighborhood to get away from all the guns in that area. Not explaining that they were moving from the people/crime in that area. They were moving away from the guns.
Again, not a really big deal, but I would have written it differently. Of course, I don't think I could come up with anything near that controversial.

No_Brakes23
November 26, 2005, 02:08 AM
I tend to disagree slightly.
******************SPOILER ALERT****************
It seemed to try to make the point that it would have been better had they not owned a gun, and only that due to the intelligence(read anti-gunness) of the daughter buying blanks was tragedy avoided. Yeah, but the daughter didn't buy the blanks on purpose. She bought them because she didn't know any better. She was being a bitch to the gun store owner, and said she didn't care what kind of bullets he gave her, so he gave her blanks.

I thought the movie was awesome. I believe it was a fairly honest portrayal of some folks in L.A. The locksmith was honestly trying to leave behind what he saw as a threat. Portraying that some folks try to escape the threat the perceive from a widespread proliferation of firearms isn't anti-gun, because some folks think that way.

I was truly impressed by Chris Bridges, whom I had previously thought to be completely devoid of talent.

SecuritySixShooter
November 26, 2005, 05:39 AM
I really liked the movie. Was i the only one that felt sorry for the racist cops(well sorta) father?

seansean
December 24, 2005, 10:32 PM
incidentally, among many other awards/nominations CRASH has already amassed, it got 2 golden globe noms, best screenplay, and a best supporting actor nom. for matt dillon. :D

seansean
January 31, 2006, 10:06 AM
add to that, a win for SAG awards best ensemble cast, and 6 oscar nominations:) this morning....

bobhaverford
January 31, 2006, 10:15 AM
I'm as hard core as they come and I have to say I enjoyed the movie. I thought the acting was terrific and the story line good. My wife liked it as well. I was NOT going to go and see it because I thought it'd be the usual Leftist crap. But I was surprised.

There is one scene in the movie that was as shocking and as moving as any I've ever seen. For this alone the movie was worth it.

Rent it. It is a worthwhile experience.

Rezin
January 31, 2006, 06:53 PM
not the 1996 release
No kiddin. I Netflixed the wrong one. What a piece of trash the 1996 one is. I turned it of when the woman wanted her man to describe another mans ????.

Eww.

CentralTexas
January 31, 2006, 06:57 PM
No kiddin. I Netflixed the wrong one. What a piece of trash the 1996 one is. I turned it of when the woman wanted her man to describe another mans ????.

Eww.

When you say "turned it off after" did you mean immediately or like 20 minutes later?:neener:
CT

MDG1976
January 31, 2006, 07:33 PM
+1
I didn't like this movie. It was supposed to be real and gritty, but there is no way people would act like that in reality.

jlbraun
February 2, 2006, 02:43 AM
(deleted)

Billmanweh
February 2, 2006, 02:56 AM

The worst movie I've (partially) seen in a long time. When Tony Danza told the actor that he needed to act "more black" my girlfriend and I got up and left. To me, it was like a liberal fairy tale where everyone is a flaming racist.

:barf:

cz75bdneos22
February 2, 2006, 03:17 AM
i liked it...it does linger on the sterotypes, but points out the obvious truths to the way people react to such things in real life..i got it in dvd..

Henry Bowman
February 2, 2006, 10:44 AM
The worst movie I've (partially) seen in a long time. When Tony Danza told the actor that he needed to act "more black" my girlfriend and I got up and left. To me, it was like a liberal fairy tale where everyone is a flaming racist.Too bad you left and missed the point. The point being that it is not all black and white (pun intended). That is, there are many racial and cultural groups and each group and each person has their own mix of good and bad that brings them to react to a situation presented to them at a particular moment in time. No one is all good or all bad. We each have our flaws and the "bad" person may not be as bad as we think from our one impression of them. The serial killer may have helped an old lady cross the street the morning before. Today's victim may have victimized someone else yesterday.

Gun-wise, it was only slightly anti. I think that the daughter knew they were blanks when she bought them. She did not trust her father, and it could have gotten her father killed. But their culture did not allow her to suggest that he get some training or to teach him about the culture in which he was now living.

i thought it was one of the best I've seen in a long time. But, I don't see many movies these days (and I haven't seen Brokeback Mountain;) ).

Billmanweh
February 2, 2006, 10:50 AM
Well, maybe I can catch it on PPV sometime and see the ending. I have my doubts though.

And you should check out Brokeback Mountain, it's really good.

carlrodd
February 2, 2006, 10:59 AM
I thought it was total garbage on par with most movies made in the last few years. It reaked of social commentary, racial profiling, interracial affairs,etc. etc. etc. I ,for one, am sick of having of having this BS shoved down my throat every time I go to rent a movie. What happened to being entertained?

agreed. i thought it was one of the worst movies i have ever seen, seriously. the fact that it has been nominated for best picture shows how much of a joke the academy is. if they hadn't nominated it, they prob would have been accused of being racist themselves. if you want a laugh, check out some of the reviews of it on www.imdb.com

Tequila_Sauer
February 2, 2006, 11:40 AM
I hate this movie as well. It portrays racism as a slap to the face complete with long winded racist dialogue. I don't remember much about the gun stuff because I didn't care. I was appalled at the idea that everytime two differing minorities were on the screen at one time, openly racist dialogue was spouted in some way. While racism does exist in this way, it would've been better shown in the movie the way it is more commonly seen, as a quiet, subtle gesture. It should've been a boiling kind of hatred, not an explosion of emotion. Sandra Bullock and Matt Dillon's characters were the biggest offenders.

Tom Servo
February 2, 2006, 02:27 PM
I really didn't care for it. Ok, I get it: there are lots of ethnic groups who don't get along, the "melting pot" is a failure in many areas, blah blah blah. Tell me something I don't know, and for Pete's sake, don't take over two hours of melodramatic hand-wringing to do it.

I rented it for Don Cheadle and Matt Dillon, and their performances were good, but the whole thing just struck me as "made-for-Oscar social commentary self-important Hollywood celbrity group-hug." It doesn't bring any answers, it just points fingers.

LiquidTension
February 2, 2006, 03:19 PM
I added it to my Netflix queue a while back but it won't be here for a while. Have to finish out the last season of Enterprise and about 9 other movies before it comes up.

shermacman
February 2, 2006, 05:10 PM
Crash was absolutely awful. Boring, tired, cliches ridden pointless mess. The little laddie and I rented once, lost interest after the idiotic good cop/bad cop white cop/black cop garbage. Months later, on the recommendation of friends, we tried it again. A portion of life that is gone forever. Billions of electrons turned into waste heat.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anybody seen the film CRASH?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!