What's the LIGHTEST 12ga. Pump Shotgun?

PDA

Kestrel
July 2, 2005, 09:18 PM
I'm looking for something to keep slung over my back, while trout fishing, etc. (for bears, monsters, mosquitos, dragonflies, etc... ahem...). Anyway, I had been thinking about a .44 magnum revolver, but then started wondering about a 12ga. pump, but lighter than an 870. I'm planning on an 18" barrel.

Maybe an older Ithaca M37? Is there a pump with an aluminum receiver that's even lighter? I'm afraid I would be tempted to throw the gun in the river after hauling it around for hours. 6 pounds startes feeling more like 8 pounds after a while... then it grows to 10 pounds... then you start feeling like you're carrying around another person on your back. I may stick with the .44mag, but am just thinking about options.

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "What's the LIGHTEST 12ga. Pump Shotgun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Connecticut Yankee
July 2, 2005, 09:41 PM
I know it's not a pump but I remember the lightweight Franchi autos in the Stoger catalog in the early sixties, I know that one broke six pounds - five 12, five 14?- but it may have been a 20. Good luck.

mcooper
July 2, 2005, 11:02 PM
The benelli pumps have a polymer (with steel reinforcements) reciever I believe.

Here is the website: http://www.benelliusa.com/firearms/defense.tpl

waterhouse
July 2, 2005, 11:06 PM
I don't know if it is the lightest out there, but those Ithaca 37 featherweights are pretty light. I've got one in 20 ga. and used to have a 16 ga. Great guns, and I've carried that 20 ga. for many many miles without noticing the weight.

bubbaturbo
July 2, 2005, 11:47 PM
Since you specifically asked about a 12 ga pump let me be the first to suggest a Kel-Tec 32. :rolleyes:

Seriously, Winchester makes their model 1300 which has an aluminum receiver. You can get a marine version with a "nickel plated stainless steel" barrel. Weight is 6 lbs 8 oz according to web site.

pauli
July 3, 2005, 12:38 AM
if all you care about is weight, i'm wondering if a pump action is necessary...

chris in va
July 3, 2005, 01:08 AM
I think the lightest 12ga I've ever held is this H&K pump my friend bought used recently. It's almost too light. He got it for under $200 used if I remember right.

My Nova is pretty light too, but clunky.

Wags
July 3, 2005, 02:19 AM
You said older Ithaca Mod 37 in 12 gauge. Sounds like a winner when it comes to carrying a lightweight shotgun into the field. It would be my first and only choice if it were me.

Gordon
July 3, 2005, 03:30 AM
I have an Ithaca m-37 Ultralight, which has an aluminun reciever and it is light under 6 pounds , but is a 3" 20 gauge. I have a model 31 L Remington from 1948 which is REAL light and is exceptionally well made! It weighs right at 6 pounds. :cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "What's the LIGHTEST 12ga. Pump Shotgun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!