Why carry concealed

PDA

mokster
July 3, 2005, 05:10 PM
I wonder if anybody else experiances this. I have a lot of friends who arent antigun most of them own guns actually. Sometimes the subject of a ccw is brought up and they just look at me blankly like Im some kind of nut for having one. I just think if you can have one you should( providing your mentally mature enough to carry,I do know some people that make me glad you have to go through a permit process to get one, and I dont want to start a "shall not be infringed rant" ) but they would rather rely on the police or luck. Now I know Ill probably never have to draw my weapon on someone,I hope, but I think its my responsibility to take whatever measures are prudent to care for my family and myself. I dont understand especially with the crime. home invasion,car jacking and gang activity in this city why people want to rely on the "it wont happen to me "mentality. I think the turning point for me was when that guy went on a shooting spree in the Albertsons not far from me and within blocks of where my wife works. A radio host posed the question maybe if someone in there had a ccw things might have been different,and when are you getting yours?

If you enjoyed reading about "Why carry concealed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
migoi
July 3, 2005, 05:41 PM
In case you run into the next Jerry Hobbs. This guy was out of prison roaming around for a month prior to killing his daughter and her friend.

Police took Jerry Hobbs into custody and charged him with murdering his 8-year-old daughter, Laura, and her best friend, 9-year-old Krystal Tobias. The two friends are believed to have been stabbed to death Sunday on Mother's Day.

He was released from prison in Texas last month after serving nearly two years for violating his probation. He had been serving time after pleading guilty to assault in 2002, said Rick Mahler, an assistant district attorney in Wichita Falls, Texas.

"He started chasing people around with a chainsaw that was running," Mahler said. "Somebody hit him with a shovel, knocked him down. Those people held him until the police arrived."

Hobbs was arrested again in 2003 after failing to show up for visits with his probation officer and skipping anger management classes.

Lake County Coroner Richard Keller said each girl had been stabbed at least twice. Investigators found no initial signs they had been bound or sexually assaulted, he said.

I think the last report I saw on this was that the girls had been stabbed 31 times total.

When he was chasing folks around with a running chainsaw, if someone had subdued him with a hollow point projectile to the brain pan instead of a shovel then two families and a community would have been spared much grief and the folks in Texas wouldn't have had to waste tax dollars keeping this piece of excrement breathing.

migoi

mokster
July 3, 2005, 05:50 PM
My sentiments exactly, Im not into taking the law into my own hands or vigelante justice but I love that saying "an armed society is a polite society" I just dont understand why even gunnys and even people I go shooting with would think a ccw is over the top. :confused:

chas_martel
July 3, 2005, 06:15 PM
Biggest reason is becuase we can't open carry in Texas.

critter
July 3, 2005, 06:18 PM
Same reason there are bike helments, steel toed shoes, seat belts, insurance of all kinds, air bags, etc. etc. etc.

Hypnogator
July 3, 2005, 06:24 PM
My mother-in-law was relating an incident the other day that reinforced my reasons for carrying a concealed firearms at all times: A number of years ago she and my father-in-law (now deceased) were towing a 5th wheeler on a back road in northern California, when a tire on their rig blew out. They pulled over, and while inspecting the tire, a truck with four scruffy looking men pulled up. All four got out, and asked if they could help. Within a few minutes they had the tire changed, and my in-laws were back on the road.

My mother-in-law said that they were afraid, when the men stopped, that they would be killed.

I would have been afraid I was going to have to kill someone.

That's why I carry. :)

(Parenthetically, my thanks to those four young men who helped out a couple of frightened senior citizens.)

chris in va
July 3, 2005, 06:26 PM
For some people, guns are a hobby. I suspect your friends are like that.

Other people take the view that guns are actually lethal force weapons (their true original/intended purpose IMO) and desire to protect themselves and loved ones.

Some individuals can't seem to grasp that idea and look on us as fanatics or 'over the top'.

I just like that line in Spiderman (plagiarized I'm sure), "With great power comes great responsibility".

BTW, I applaud standing your ground with all the people giving you the eye like that. It's not easy.

bratch
July 3, 2005, 06:28 PM
When someone ask me why I carry or more often why I carry 2 guns my reply is "I've spent $xxx on the gun ($xxx on gun 2), $xxx on the carry rig, $xxx on the permit and $xxx on training. I've done that with the purpose of carrying and by George I'm going to carry"

Most people seem to relate to that

Mannlicher
July 3, 2005, 06:33 PM
this dead horse has been flogged a million times.

rbmcmjr
July 3, 2005, 06:38 PM
When asked why I "feel the need to carry a gun" and "do you really expect to have to shoot someone?", I usually counter by asking them if they wear seatbelts. When they answer in the affirmative, I ask if they plan on being in a wreck. This seems to work for all but the most extreme hoplophobes and sometimes even leads to agreement with the sentiment.

Rick - goodwill ambassador

Kamicosmos
July 3, 2005, 06:41 PM
It's better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it.

Or, use the why do you always wear a seatbelt, have a fire extinguisher/smoke alarm, spare tire, etc. Cause you can't predict what you may run into everyday...

mokster
July 3, 2005, 07:09 PM
I know the why carry post has been beat to death,but why do people who shoot guns, have perfectly concealable guns and even keep loaded guns in the house not exercise a right to carry and possibly protect themselves and think Im kind of wierd because I carry. I also would like to know if anybody had turning points like I did where your guns went from just plinkers to tools also.

Baba Louie
July 3, 2005, 08:42 PM
Why carry (concealed)?

Because I may not be able to retreat in time to evade a BG's angst. If I can, I will. If not, I guess I'll go with Plan B (I practice regularly).

Why is this a topic for discussion among/with your friends? Maybe, maybe, one or two people I know and work with have an idea that I have more than a Benchmade folder on me.

Why don't other reasonably intelligent gun owners also carry? Maybe they do and just tell you they don't... ;)

Maybe they live in condition white and think/know that the world is really a bed of THORNLESS roses. Even a rose bush carries its own weapon and does not depend on the police for protection, but perhaps your friends have not yet had a gun or knife drawn on them, neh?

Hopefully they, you and I never will.

It may be that they have some legal strike or two on their record and cannot legally do so.

A thousand rational reasons exist... for them.

I follow my father's preaching of "I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it".

CajunBass
July 3, 2005, 08:53 PM
Because for years I couldn't. Now I can.

As for the topic being beaten to death again.

Not everyone has been here for years.

Standing Wolf
July 3, 2005, 09:48 PM
There are people who believe their lives and property aren't worth defending. That's their choice.

eagle45
July 4, 2005, 12:11 AM
Just my observation (even though it's been flogged a million times, hey - one more won't hurt :D ) - most folks I talk to that question the need for CCW do not have any kind of a plan of action to defend themselves or loved ones, whether they are out on the town or even in their homes. Ask them what they would do if someone tried to break in to their home in the middle of the night. Most women I have talked to have told me they would wake their spouse/boyfriend/SO. Ok, what will he do? They don't know. And honesty most men don't either. Understanding the concept that planning and practice is needed to be able to take care of such an emergency is step one in getting them to understand.

You mean to tell me you are going to wait until your children are in danger before you try to prepare yourself to defend them? Once they get past the idea of making such preparations at home, getting them to see the need elsewhere is the next step forward. A baby step but a step.

The Kidd
July 4, 2005, 12:25 AM
Because it is my responsibility to defend myself and my family.

chaim
July 4, 2005, 03:41 AM
Not everyone has been here for years
NO?

:neener:

faustulus
July 4, 2005, 04:23 AM
People always tell me I am paranoid because I carry.
What do I have to be paranoid about, I've got a gun. :p

Joey101
July 4, 2005, 05:22 AM
Because it's my right to!

I wish I had the extra money to get my CHL soon. I am really feeling the need for it.

I just wish they would create a SCL (Shotgun Carry License). I definitely would feel better then!! ;)

Browns Fan
July 4, 2005, 08:01 AM
Some dead horses need their butts wooped on every now and then... this is one of them! ;)

Tacblack
July 4, 2005, 08:13 AM
Why carry concealed for some reason going about your business with a gun in open view scares people. Cause as we all know every day criminals use open carry so often. Just easier.

When some at work says "don't you have a permit" I say yep had one for years. "Do you carry a gun a lot"....nope easier to go to the range with the gun. Lettem think what they want, seems to make them happy.

Any of my actual friends, Mom Dad etc never mention it in front of others. Again it just easier.

Bulldozer
July 4, 2005, 08:34 AM
Because if someone is intent on doing me or mine harm, I fully intend to make it a social event and I'll be sending out several targeted invitations.

BioDemon
July 4, 2005, 09:45 AM
Life insurace is good to have. Plus, what if only criminals had and carried guns?
People think it's OK to carry for bear protection and such but in all reality more people kill people. I don't tell many friends or family I have a ccw, It's nothing to consern or scare but to protect.

wdlsguy
July 4, 2005, 09:54 AM
I just wish they would create a SCL (Shotgun Carry License).

You don't need no stinking license to carry a shotgun in Texas. :evil:

1911 guy
July 4, 2005, 10:18 AM
I can.
I want to protect my family.
I may be put in a position to protect someone else.
I want to protect myself.
Crime goes down with CCW. I want to be part of that.
I may not be able to escape every danger presented to me.

Mastrogiacomo
July 4, 2005, 10:31 AM
I hope to get one but my permit has a restriction on it that only allows me to carry for work purposes. I asked if I'll be upgraded to "all lawful purposes" and was told it was uncertain.... :barf: the detective did say previously that I would be, but now it seems what people say and what they really mean are two different things entirely.

I think, especially for women, that this is a major concern and I'd like to try and convince my anti sister to think of getting one (she's applied for pepper spray in the city of Lowell). I've know of three violent acts on my street, a rape, a murder, and an attempted murder by beating. Still in the city, a girl was taken in front of her house and brought to a prostitution ring in Revere, and fortunately escaped and go the police. A former school mate was killed by her boyfriend and still another followed home from work one night - assaulted and killed. Anyone that thinks they'll be safe because they live in a good area and have a cell phone needs to get their head examined. I'll be carrying 24/7 when I get mine.

neoncowboy
July 4, 2005, 11:58 AM
Most of the reasons I carry are purely practical: in the event that I (or someone else) desperately needs a defense against violence, my training together with my .45 is about the best defense I can have.

But there's also a more philoshophical reason for daily carry. It seems to me like as our gun rights continue to shrink, one of the most effective things we can do to preserve them is to exercise them. By doing so, I add myself to the numbers of folks who carry and add my weight to the statistics. Also, it seems like more bad guys carry guns than good guys do...so by carrying I am adding strength to the side of the good guys.

mokster
July 4, 2005, 12:14 PM
Thats another reason I carry. Our rights are shrinking weekly. We should carry if able just so we can exercise our rights, and maybe show through statistical research what our forebearers knew, that the right to bear arms is a good deterrant to an oppressive government( and an exceedingly oppressive criminal element in society).

fb
July 4, 2005, 01:03 PM
Mannlicker has it about right!
Carry the damm gun for your own reasons, not mine.
Guns are a hobby for me, also a insurance policy. Not only pride of ownership, but taste enters into it.
Violence is not alwys a bad thing, you just have to manage it real well. If you must use it, open the spigot all the way!

Tom Servo
July 4, 2005, 02:00 PM
So, the question seems to be, "why do folks own guns, but not carry them." Where I live, there are probably more guns than people per square mile. Still, folks who carry are in the minority. For many, there seems to be the mentality that "I've got a gun, so I'll be safe." Even if the gun is sitting at home in a desk drawer. It's sort of a safety-blanket mentality, that just having a gun at all will somehow make them safer. Many folks aren't even trained.

Of course, the gun at home in the desk drawer won't help if a meth-head tries to shoot me so they can "borrow" a car with clean plates (as happened here a couple of weeks back), but most folks just don't think that far ahead. When the Fulton County courthouse shootings happened a couple of months back, people told me that if they ran across the guy, they'd be ready because they had guns. I'd ask what they were carrying, and I'd get an odd look, followed by, "well, I've got [insert gun] at home." Tons of guns in Georgia, yet this man carjacked numerous people, none of whom had their guns with them at the time.

sssteinkamp
July 4, 2005, 02:01 PM
I put up a web page that I refer all my friends to here:

Why I Carry A Gun (http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/g/carry.htm)

Shane

gbelleh
July 4, 2005, 02:44 PM
sssteinkamp,
Good site. Lots of good reasons expressed logically.

38SnubFan
July 5, 2005, 08:42 PM
Because it is my responsibility to defend myself and my family Says it all right there! :D

I don't necessarily understand that if you have the tools, and the ability, to not carry (where legal to do so). I actually feel a sense of "personal pride" in the knowledge that I have the tools, training, and ability to defend myself or those I care about, should that time ever arise (I should hope it never does).

Just my $.02

-38SnubFan

MikeIsaj
July 6, 2005, 09:55 AM
Because I can.
Because I have a job where you make enemys with BG's regularly.
Because a recent knee injury makes a safe retreat an improbability.

LynnMassGuy
July 6, 2005, 03:53 PM
20 different street gangs operating in my hometown. That's why I carry. Not to mention, I've never heard of the cops showing up before crimes are comitted.

Regards
John

If you enjoyed reading about "Why carry concealed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!