Did Kalashnikov have other designs?

PDA

goColt
July 3, 2005, 09:39 PM
Does anyone know if Kalashnikov developed any other firearm designs?

If you enjoyed reading about "Did Kalashnikov have other designs?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HighVelocity
July 3, 2005, 09:42 PM
Read this. Long but very interesting history of the man.

http://www.cruffler.com/trivia-February01.html

KriegHund
July 3, 2005, 09:42 PM
I belive he also had some invention for the russian tanks??

Other than that, he had to compete against alot of other desighnes in the trials of 1947 for looking for a new rifle for the USSR.

Ill do a google search and check it up.

Some interesting read as well http://www.powercustom.com/AKPages/MikhailKalashnikov.htm

walking arsenal
July 3, 2005, 10:46 PM
Indeed he did, it was a round counter, every time the tanks main gun fired it ticked off the round. they could keep tabs on a number of things using this.

goColt
July 4, 2005, 12:17 AM
Well, those are all fine and dandy but none answers the question: was there another successful Kalashnikov design . . . meaning a firearm that was put into at least moderate production?

kal
July 4, 2005, 12:34 AM
Mikhial Kalashnikov did make a delayed blowback AK47 as a prototype.

http://kalashnikov.guns.ru/images/092.jpg
http://kalashnikov.guns.ru/images/093.jpg

Dionysusigma
July 4, 2005, 02:15 AM
Wow... :eek:

That looks even simpler (and thus, hopefully, more reliable) than an AK! Granted, it's as ugly as a Hi-Point, but still... nothing that an experienced woodworker couldn't solve. :)

What became of the design?

Smitty258
July 4, 2005, 08:01 AM
RPK - Basically a "Squad Auto" version of AK. Heavier reciever, longer barrel and bipod.

PKM - Standard issue Russian GPMG. 7.62x54R.

Just to name a few.

MarkDido
July 4, 2005, 11:21 AM
That looks even simpler (and thus, hopefully, more reliable) than an AK! Granted, it's as ugly as a Hi-Point, but still... nothing that an experienced woodworker couldn't solve.

Hey!

Nothing's as ugly as my High Point 9mm carbine!

But it fits behind the seats of my Ranger, it goes bang every time I pull the trigger, and It doesn't mind getting beat up a little. :)

kal
July 4, 2005, 12:26 PM
What became of the design?

Nothing. It was a experiemental design in 1970 and was chambered for 5.45mm Soviet. Most likley it was scrapped for other designs.

Texian Pistolero
July 4, 2005, 12:57 PM
His most recent invention is his brand of vodka.

No foolin'.

ceetee
July 4, 2005, 07:46 PM
After the fall of communism, when Soviet archives came open to Western researchers (for the right price) it was discovered that Kalashnikov actually had a larger number of individual inventions than John Browning. Kalashnikov was interviewed, and admitted that he had always seen Browning as an inspiration.

When asked the question, "How does it feel to know that you've made more inventions than John Browning?" he replied, "Well, when you get it right the first time, you don't have to keep doing it over and over..."

KriegHund
July 4, 2005, 07:50 PM
Would a delayed blowback have more or less recoil than a gas operated? Methinks more becuase you dont have the spring on the gas rod thing, but thats speculation.

kal
July 4, 2005, 08:18 PM
If you're comparing the AK74 recoil to the delayed blowback AK I posted a picture of, I would suspect they both have the same recoil. However, I also suspect that the delayed blowback AK would be more controlable on full auto because of less moving parts(no moving piston).

kirkcdl
July 5, 2005, 12:34 PM
:eek:

kirkcdl
July 5, 2005, 12:35 PM
Quote:"That looks even simpler (and thus, hopefully, more reliable) than an AK! " :eek:

Either you're being extermely sarcastic,or you've never owned an AK.The single most outstanding feature of the AK design is it's reliability... :D

Trebor
July 5, 2005, 02:01 PM
It just so happens that I just did research on Kalishnikov for a presentation on "The Great Firearms Designers of the 20th Century."

His first inventions were a fuel guage for tanks and an improvement to tank track links. He was tank commander at the time. He was actually sent to the factory that would be producing those inventions as a technical supervisor.

When the war started he was recalled back to his unit. He was wounded in combat and started work on his first firearms designs while recuperating. He got his inspiration from a book on small arms design by Federov.

His first design was for a submachine gun. The design was typical of designs of the era, but did not offer significant improvements over existing designs to warrant production. The design did get him noticed and he aquired a high ranking Communist Party patron. With his patron's backing, he was assigned to a design bureau. He worked with Federov and other top Soviet designers of the time. Eventually he perfected the AK 47 and it was accepted for production and issue in, IIRC, 1950.

He eventually was promoted to head of a design directorate which supervised numerous design bureaus.

dolanp
July 5, 2005, 02:14 PM
His most recent invention is his brand of vodka.

No foolin'.

Yeah I seem to remember hearing about some European country (Britain I think) wanting to ban the importation of the vodka because they felt the AK47 represented one of the evil things of the 20th century and all of that anti-gun bigotry stuff. :barf:

If you enjoyed reading about "Did Kalashnikov have other designs?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!