Want to start over

PDA

The_Antibubba
July 4, 2005, 11:47 PM
I've been a shooter now for about 10 years. When I started, I didn't know anyone who shot, so I had to teach myself. Let me tell you, my instructor was terrible! :o I'm right-eye dominant but left-handed. but until I had LASIK, everything farther than 16" away out of my right eye was blurry, so I aimed with the left. Now I can really see out of the right eye, and I'm trying to relearn how to aim again. I have to face facts-I'm a lousy shot.(I can hit the broad side of a barn, but only from the inside ;) ) I'm good on the safety rules, but my aim isn't that good, and there's got to be a simpler way to do things.

I'm about to start a better-paying job, one with better hours, and I've decided to seek out qualified instruction in my area. What I'm looking for here is a suggestion of websites that give good information and visuals on the rock-bottom basics, like, When I look through the sights, how should the front and rear sights look?

I've read so much about guns and safety and tactics and all that, but I feel like a university Doctor of Experimental Psychology-I've proven it works from the rat studies, but the human subjects aren't cooperating! :uhoh: I would like to be a great shooter someday, and have confidence in my ability to protect myself if it should come to that, but I don't think I can get there from here-believe me, if you have ever seen me at the range you'd understand. And I'd like to take new shooters to the range with a better first instructor than I had

So where would you direct a newbie?

If you enjoyed reading about "Want to start over" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Old Fuff
July 4, 2005, 11:58 PM
I am delighted about the news concerning your new job and prospects ... :D

But it would be helpful to know, what kind of firearms do you want to learn to shoot, and in what context? Bullseye target shooting, informal target shooting, "combat" shooting, what?

280PLUS
July 5, 2005, 07:42 AM
Rear sight fuzzy, front sight clear, target fuzzy. Focus on the front sight. It's all in the release. Forget or ignore the fact that the sights are moving all over the target, they do for everybody, instead concentrate on a nice smooth trigger pull. Some computer study somewhere tracked the sights of people as they held to fire and found that automatically the sights were lined up on center something on the order of 95% of the time IIRC. Trust your body's inborn ability to hold on center without any input from you and concentrate on that slow smooth trigger pull. You'll be shooting better in no time.

Start with some form of rest for your gun and shoot benchrest for a while till you get the feel of where the shot is going to go and what a bullseye feels like. Dry firing is helpful too. If you cannot tell where your shot goes ("calling your shot") you are blinking during the release. The trick is to suprise yourself with the hammer break thereby causing yourself to blink AFTER the shot releases. Everyone blinks, your mind blinks even if your eyes don't, the secret is to blink just that millisecond AFTER the shot releases.

Find and join a local bullseye league and pick the brains of the good guys, most are always ready to help someone improve their shooting.

Hope this helps

:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Want to start over" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!