Wife kills husband with .50 cal rifle (news)

PDA

Berg
July 5, 2005, 02:28 AM
http://www.thecarolinachannel.com/news/4681919/detail.html?rss=gs&psp=news

Gaffney Man Killed In Domestic Dispute
No Charges Filed So Far

POSTED: 11:11 pm EDT July 4, 2005

GAFFNEY, S.C. -- Police say a 30-year-old Gaffney man was killed during an argument with his wife.

Dennis Rector was found shot to death at his home Friday night. Cherokee County sheriff's spokesperson Leigh Caldwell said Rector died from a single gunshot wound to his stomach from a .50-caliber rifle.

Regina Rector told investigators her husband armed himself, gave her a rifle and backed her into a closet. Regina Rector said she fired when her husband pointed his gun at her and moved like he was going to shoot.

Investigators will turn over information to the Cherokee County prosecutor, who will determine whether to file charges.

If you enjoyed reading about "Wife kills husband with .50 cal rifle (news)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Vernal45
July 5, 2005, 02:39 AM
HMM, from the article, sounds like the retard wanted to die. Not the guns fault, although the anti's will jump on this one.

Cesiumsponge
July 5, 2005, 02:39 AM
Oh boy this is what the naysayers have been preparing for. The first documented case (that I'm aware of) of the overwhelming problems on .50BMG being used in murders.

What happens when the main news organizations get wind of this, completely ignore the overtones of self-defense suggested in the article, and start toting the .50BMG terror?

I sure hope someone with common sense gets media time by asking "what's the cumulative deathtoll so far from .50BMG".

torpid
July 5, 2005, 02:46 AM
What happens when the main news organizations get wind of this, completely ignore the overtones of self-defense suggested in the article, and start toting the .50BMG terror?

No, no, no!

The "women are all potential murderers" scare.

:neener:

Joejojoba111
July 5, 2005, 02:50 AM
So, according to her and her alone, the husband picked up a weapon, then gave her a rifle, and then pushed her into a closet, and then made some sort of movement which she decided was threatening...

...Orrrr maybe she's a lieing ___ and she took his AM rifle, shot him with it, realized she was pooched, put a weapon in his dead hands. Then she realizes this still doesn't make sense - how could she acquire an AMR whilst the husband is accosting her with his weapon. So she says he gave her the rifle. It still doesn't make sense, but anyone who chooses such a stupid way to kill someone probably can't be expected to do much better.

Just a guess. Sorry if I offend this lady.

Jeff
July 5, 2005, 03:06 AM
Who or what is to say that this wasn't a .50 caliber black powder rifle?

Any guy that owns a .50 BMG is prolly going to own other guns. And "other guns" prolly includes guns that are a lot easier to wield for women folk than a Barrett or Cobb bazooka.

Solo
July 5, 2005, 03:40 AM
This clearly was not the work of a .50 BMG. A .50 cal would have snapped the man in half.

Hawkmoon
July 5, 2005, 04:04 AM
South Carolina -- I'm going with the black powder theory.

But the story still doesn't makes sense. I hope we get some follow-up.

AK-74me
July 5, 2005, 04:46 AM
o yeah deffinetly a muzzle loader.

Sportcat
July 5, 2005, 07:32 AM
http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=3553200&nav=0RaMbkVN

Gaffney man killed in domestic argument

(Gaffney-AP) July 4, 2005 - Police say a 30-year-old Gaffney man has been killed in an argument with his wife.

Cherokee County sheriff's spokesperson Leigh Caldwell says Dennis Rector was found shot to death at his home Friday night.

Caldwell says Rector died from a single gunshot wound to his stomach from a .50-caliber rifle.

Investigators say Rector armed himself and gave Regina Rector a rifle. Regina Rector told police her husband backed her into a closet and pointed his gun at her. Rector told police that she fired first.

Investigators will turn over information to the Cherokee County prosecutor, who will determine whether to file charges.

Mongo the Mutterer
July 5, 2005, 07:44 AM
Yep Darwin was right. Gene pool just improved.

Preacherman
July 5, 2005, 07:51 AM
Duplicate threads merged.

Sportcat
July 5, 2005, 07:53 AM
Sorry Preach... didn't see the other thread. Thanks for merging.

bogie
July 5, 2005, 08:47 AM
Yeah, I'll bet it was something on the order of "here's a gun, bleep, now you ain't gonna use it, are you?"

Oops.

BeLikeTrey
July 5, 2005, 08:55 AM
we could look on the bright side ...

The old -"your gun will be taken from you and used against you"- was just debunked .....again :evil:

El Tejon
July 5, 2005, 09:05 AM
Duelling raffles? :confused: Should have stuck to banjos, fewer people would be hurt, despite the bad taste.

.50? Could be a lot of things--.50-90, .50 muzzleloader, 20 gauge deer slug, etc., inter alia.

nico
July 5, 2005, 09:05 AM
South Carolina -- I'm going with the black powder theory.
that's the first thing I thought.

Third_Rail
July 5, 2005, 09:06 AM
Has to be black powder, though the image of a smaller woman picking up an M82 is amusing. :D

Molon Labe
July 5, 2005, 09:10 AM
Yea, definitely not a .50 BMG.

critter
July 5, 2005, 09:26 AM
I'm going with the ML theory too till proven otherwise. Can any of you IMAGINE a .50 BMG fired INSIDE a house????

Peter M. Eick
July 5, 2005, 09:38 AM
I can picture the interogation if it really was a 50BMG in a house.

Policeman "maam, can you please describe.."
Lady "what???, I can't hear you"
Policeman "Maam.."
Lady "what, I can see your lips move, but I can't hear you"
Lady "speak up"
Lady "Eh?"
Policeman "Maam, I will try and yell as loudly..."
Lady 'what, can you repeat that? I can't hear you?"

or something like that.... ;)

Sulaco
July 5, 2005, 09:40 AM
I'm from SC and while lots and lots of people here own 50BMG's, I doubt this was one of them. It was probably black powder.

DT Guy
July 5, 2005, 09:42 AM
A woman who could carry a .50BMG around wouldn't NEED a gun. :evil:

Larry

mhdishere
July 5, 2005, 10:23 AM
And the husband is SO much deader than he'd be if he'd been shot with something smaller, right?

boofus
July 5, 2005, 10:30 AM
Obviously can't be a .50BMG or you would hear reports from the 17 dead children in the school across the street and the airplane she shot down and the nuclear reactor that the round pierced before the bullet stopped moving. :rolleyes:

AK-74me
July 5, 2005, 10:34 AM
Obviously can't be a .50BMG or you would hear reports from the 17 dead children in the school across the street and the airplane they shot down and the nuclear reactor that the round pierced before the bullet stopped moving.

Ain't that the truth

BeLikeTrey
July 5, 2005, 10:42 AM
and squeezing herself in too
:scrutiny:

BenW
July 5, 2005, 10:49 AM
Boofus beat me too it, but yeah -- I thought .50 BMGs disintegrate everything within five meters of the kill zone, and wouldn't it have also shattered all the windows within a one block radius?

jobu07
July 5, 2005, 11:44 AM
Not to mention the errant round that penetrated the next 20 houses in the row would have suddenly taken an upward turn and shoot down about 6 airliners too.

PaladinVC
July 5, 2005, 11:51 AM
And the small inversion of normal space at the muzzle...

Jim K
July 5, 2005, 11:58 AM
"Well, officer, I was in fear of my life, so I whipped the .50 HB M2 out of my purse and fired."

With the press reports of .9 caliber and 40millimeter handguns, I doubt we can determine just what the gun was from that information.

Jim

Too Many Choices!?
July 5, 2005, 12:49 PM
If it was the BMG, the muzzle blast/flash alone would have made it necessary to use the dental records to identify John Doe as his butt woulda been bar-b-qued, and then thrown 50ft backwards(well I assumed 50 ft since .45 only knocks you back 10ft. in the movies) :uhoh:

Zundfolge
July 5, 2005, 01:05 PM
I thought .50 BMGs disintegrate everything within five meters of the kill zone, and wouldn't it have also shattered all the windows within a one block radius?

That and the EMP...you're forgetting the EMP. Clearly not a .50BMG or nobody would have been able to call the police because all their electronics would be fried by the EMP. :neener:

ny32182
July 5, 2005, 01:11 PM
Knowing the media, I doubt it was a fifty caliber anything, much less a 50bmg. Plus, no airliners were destroyed, so....

I think we all know where this is going.

Vic303
July 5, 2005, 01:50 PM
.50 Beowulf maybe??? :neener:

artherd
July 5, 2005, 03:25 PM
I'm also thinking muzzloader, or maybe even S&W 500.

The Barrett weighs 35 lbs and is over FIVE FEET long. Most women (and many men for that matter) would be hard pressed to aim it at all.

And all would likely be quite deaf after firing it in a closet (zoikes.)

I have a tarp we were using for a prone mat at one shoot. We ceased it's use after a few rounds when we saw the 2 foot diameter holes the muzzle blast had made in the tarp!

though the image of a smaller woman picking up an M82 is amusing

It sure is!

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=26129

Third_Rail
July 5, 2005, 03:28 PM
That's a great pic. Oleg's?

Coltdriver
July 5, 2005, 04:22 PM
I wonder if overpenetration was a problem.

Zach S
July 5, 2005, 05:34 PM
When I heard about this on WHNS last night I dont think they even mentioned it was a .50.

SLCDave
July 5, 2005, 05:56 PM
I guarantee if I came walking in the front door with a Barrett tonight, my wife would kill me with it... :neener:

Waitone
July 5, 2005, 06:23 PM
Little niceties like what kind of .50 will never make it out. By the time is runs out of steam the guy will have been cut in half by a semi-automatic long range killing machine.

Standing Wolf
July 5, 2005, 07:04 PM
Aw, heck! I didn't know you could kill people with those things. I thought they were just for shooting down airliners.

Cosmoline
July 5, 2005, 07:09 PM
No way was this a BMG. It's either the usual sloppy reporting or it was a smoke pole.

bakert
July 5, 2005, 07:48 PM
As Robert Ruark said "Use enough gun"

STW
July 5, 2005, 08:43 PM
As Robert Ruark said "Use enough gun"

But in his book based around the Mau Mau problem in Kenya the hero, while looking over the corpse of a Mau Mau he had just shot told himself he was using too much gun and cut back to save costs.

hifi
July 6, 2005, 12:49 AM
I assume it was a blackpowder. How many 30 year old women do you know that can hold up a .50BMG rifle...well besides the one pictured above... :rolleyes:

Byron Quick
July 6, 2005, 01:02 AM
I assume it was a blackpowder. How many 30 year old women do you know that can hold up a .50BMG rifle...well besides the one pictured above...

Didn't check to see where you're at if it's listed. But let me tell you something, the women around this part of the South have this gift: they pick up a gun or a knife for the first time and blow or cut your heart in two. I ain't that far from Gaffney and there is no way in hell that I'd give a local woman a weapon and then make her think I was a threat. Either he was deathstruck or she's not telling the truth.

R.H. Lee
July 6, 2005, 01:10 AM
Rector died from a single gunshot wound to his stomach from a .50-caliber rifle.
And he was armed! So apparently caliber trumps shot placement. Take that you lowly 9minimeter advocates. :neener:

c_yeager
July 6, 2005, 02:58 AM
Wether this shooting occured with a .50bmg, Alaskan, Beowulf, AE, S&W or blackpowder isnt going to matter one bit. This is a violent crime commited with a .50 caliber assault rifle, period. This one will forever be on the antis' books as statistical padding LONG after the details have been forgotten.

Double Naught Spy
July 6, 2005, 09:40 AM
And he was armed! So apparently caliber trumps shot placement.

Um, no, caliber did not trump shot placement. Shot placement is relevant to the caliber being used. You can get away with not hitting perfect shots that go through the heart or brain if you shoot something big enough and powerful enough ammo to less vital areas to do enough damage to produce the desired stop effect.

Shot placement, in this case, was just fine for the .50.

If you enjoyed reading about "Wife kills husband with .50 cal rifle (news)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!