For those shopping for a guitar

PDA

Skunkabilly
July 6, 2005, 10:15 AM
http://img.engadget.com/common/images/3587374405104706.JPG?0.9318327502435143

If you enjoyed reading about "For those shopping for a guitar" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
boofus
July 6, 2005, 10:20 AM
Yuck, that's a bass. :p

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/images/gun_guitar.jpg
This one has 6 strings. :D

Skunkabilly
July 6, 2005, 10:23 AM
Everything without 5 strings looks the same to me!

http://www.skunkabilly.com/images/temp/18385482109_0_BG.jpg

Mal H
July 6, 2005, 10:34 AM
"Everything without 5 strings looks the same to me!"

Come on, Skunk! What about Scruggs?!

DigMe
July 6, 2005, 10:53 AM
Bass pwns you!

brad cook, as seen in Bass Player Magazine, April 2005 :cool:

GreenFurniture
July 6, 2005, 11:29 AM
What about Roy Smeck?

Stringbean? He was known to tote a little too.

Kramer Krazy
July 6, 2005, 03:02 PM
I recall Jackson and Hondo, both, making M-16 looking guitars in the 80's. I'm sure there were a few others, too.......I passed on a Hondo-made one, about 4 years ago, for only $200......For a Hondo, I figured even $200 was too much for it....no matter what shape it was. :D

Eightball
July 6, 2005, 03:08 PM
So, you can now officially be wailing on a six-string or a bass before you shoot your prey when hunting? I wonder, does it have to be connected to an amp, or do they provide headphones for when in the blind :rolleyes: ?

BamBam-31
July 6, 2005, 03:09 PM
Those are pretty darn cool guitars, man. :cool:

BTW, does no one want to be seen on stage with you, Skunk? :D

halvey
July 6, 2005, 03:45 PM
It kind of reminds me of the Gene Simmons "Axe" bass.

GregGry
July 6, 2005, 04:28 PM
If only they had it in a gibson SG, I would have a nice match for my guitar :D

Lennyjoe
July 6, 2005, 05:06 PM
Too bad dirtbag's bassist didn't have one of them.

Might of saved his life.

Dave R
July 6, 2005, 05:32 PM
So, do we get to debate which is the best guage for guitar strings? I like .012's better than .011's or .010's.

Big and slow vs. light and fast, eh?

Soap
July 6, 2005, 06:29 PM
I like it! It would be sweet playing an arrangement for "Moonlight Sonata" on that :D

GregGry
July 6, 2005, 06:46 PM
I like it! It would be sweet playing an arrangement for "Moonlight Sonata" on that Do you know how had it is to play that on the guitar? I have been praticing it for 6 months, and can only do about half of it reasonably well :eek:.

So, do we get to debate which is the best guage for guitar strings? I like .012's better than .011's or .010's. I run a .46 to .09, works well for my sg

http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/sg/images/sgsv.jpg

TxCajun
July 6, 2005, 07:42 PM
Ted Nugent should show up in this thread. :D

Strings
July 6, 2005, 09:03 PM
Sorry guys: I'm with GregGry on this: light'n'fast is the way to go! High speed/low drag wins for guitar strings!

And it shouldn't be too hard to make a six-string version of the first pic. Of course, buying another Steinberger will probably make Spoon kill me (especially since I'm already picking up a bouzouki)...

280PLUS
July 6, 2005, 09:08 PM
What does it mean when the banjo player drools out both corners of his mouth?

The stage is level...

:evil:

I like .010s myself, .009s break too easy... :neener:

misANTHrope
July 6, 2005, 11:53 PM
Well, before we discuss gauge we gotta mention whether it's for electric or acoustic... On my electric, I go with Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky, .046-.009. Sadly don't have an acoustic at the moment. :-(

Mikul
July 7, 2005, 12:25 AM
Maybe this is what they were talking about when they wrote

"Killed with a bullet from a six string gun."

CleverName
July 7, 2005, 12:40 AM
boofus -
I believe that's a gun from Gundam. You really shouldn't be able to operate it properly unless your torso comes off from your lower body and a plane flies inside and folds up before you can move much.

As a little kid I built more than my fair share of Gundam model kits.

cf http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/msgundam/rx-78-2.htm

TonyB
July 7, 2005, 10:31 AM
They should ban those 6 string hi-cap ones all together..."no honest man needs more than 4 strings..." :D
For a less "evil" looking one see John Fogerty's baseball bat guitar... :neener:

Kramer Krazy
July 7, 2005, 10:59 AM
Dave R asks:

So, do we get to debate which is the best guage for guitar strings? I like .012's better than .011's or .010's.

I prefer Ernie Ball Super Slinkies (.009-.042). But it just suites my style of playing more.......EVH, George Lynch, Dave Mustaine stuff. I also run .009-.052 on my Ibanez Universe 7-string, though. On my 5-string electric basses, I prefer light gauges as well. I don't care for steel string acoustics (despite having an Ovation 6-string and Ovation 5-string acoustic bass)......for acoustic, I prefer the sweet tones of a nylon-string Takamine. :D

Skunkabilly
July 7, 2005, 02:58 PM
.010 vs .012...whatever. Fret placement fret placement fret placement.

Dave R
July 7, 2005, 05:49 PM
Well, before we discuss gauge we gotta mention whether it's for electric or acoustic... On my electric, I go with Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky, .046-.009. Good point. I prefer .012's on ACOUSTIC guitars. I don't like the sound of light strings on an acoustic. Sounds thin.

Of course, even on electric guitars, I tend to agree with Dicky Betts, who said you should play the fattest strings you can handle. I like fat sounds. You know how thick Stevie Ray Vaughn played, dontcha?

Prefer my bass that way, too. I like a "church organ" sound. Lotsa low. 'Course, you have to turn up the treble now and then to play some of the modern stuff.

.010 vs .012...whatever. Fret placement fret placement fret placement. Spoken like a true tactical player. :p

Cesiumsponge
July 7, 2005, 06:33 PM
I prefer Ernie Ball Super Slinkies (.009-.042).

Same here, don't make fun of the pink packaging! :uhoh:

GregGry
July 7, 2005, 07:46 PM
Hehe its pink, like a barbie doll box :D If I remember correctly, my strings come in a more manly orange colored packaging :cool:

Soap
July 7, 2005, 11:07 PM
I'm more of a .10s guy myself, probably why I also carry a .45 :cool:

GregGry- Do you know how had it is to play that on the guitar? I have been praticing it for 6 months, and can only do about half of it reasonably well .

I studied classical guitar formally for 5 years so I finally have it down pat; good luck buddy! :evil: Oh and when you get done with that, Turkish March is calling! :D

Cesiumsponge
July 7, 2005, 11:46 PM
I respect and love classical guitarists and music (ex. Andres Segovia), I sway more towards the post-Malmsteen neoclassical stuff but I can't do that either. :neener:

I can barely make all the fingers on my fretting hand work let alone all five fingers on the picking hand. I tried to do classical for about half a year and I realized I couldn't dedicate enough time to make it work given my situation.

Plus growing my pickin' nails out seemed kinda weird :p Everytime I hear recordings of Recuerdos De La Alhambra or Asturias (leyenda), it freaks me out someone can do that.

*sticks with guitars that plug into the wall like a wimp*

Strings
July 7, 2005, 11:47 PM
How many of y'all actually play gis? I was paying mandolin for some friends' band, but not every piece: the down time allowed enough stage fright that I COMPLETELY botched a piece. Is it easier if you're playing for every song?

toivo
July 8, 2005, 03:17 AM
Good point. I prefer .012's on ACOUSTIC guitars. I don't like the sound of light strings on an acoustic. Sounds thin.For us old-schoolers, .012 is light-gauge for an acoustic. Medium is .013, and it seems like nobody even MAKES a heavy-gauge anymore. But I have to admit that I've gone to extra-lights in my old age: .009 on the electric and .011 on the acoustic.

Of course, even on electric guitars, I tend to agree with Dicky Betts, who said you should play the fattest strings you can handle. I like fat sounds. You know how thick Stevie Ray Vaughn played, dontcha?It's all relative to playing style and hand strength. Stevie Ray had meat-hooks for hands--could probably choke a horse with one hand. On electric you don't need a fat string for volume, so it all comes down to what you feel comfortable with.

How many of y'all actually play gis? I was paying mandolin for some friends' band, but not every piece: the down time allowed enough stage fright that I COMPLETELY botched a piece. Is it easier if you're playing for every song?I used to play gigs, but not so much anymore. But it's DEFINITELY easier if you play every song. Like anything else, you have to warm up, both physically and emotionally, to be at your best.

To bring this all back gun-related, the only guy I ever played with who carried on the gig was a steel guitar player. He had a sticker on the front of his steel that said "I'm the NRA and I Vote."

Commissar Gribb
July 8, 2005, 03:52 AM
i play .11s on my white strat and .10s on everything else

I have guitars like some people on here have guns ;)

http://www.pbase.com/commissargribb/image/42134500

http://www.pbase.com/commissargribb/image/19549082

http://www.pbase.com/commissargribb/image/19547391

http://www.pbase.com/commissargribb/image/19674660

http://www.pbase.com/commissargribb/image/20204877

http://www.pbase.com/commissargribb/image/20204879

Fender 1998 MIM standard stratocaster
Fender 2001 MIM ltd edition flame top stratocaster
Fender 1997 MIM standard Jazz Bass
Fender 2001 MIM standard telecaster

Squier 1983 MIJ standard stratocaster
Squier MIM standard Pbass special

Ovation Celebrity Acoustic

Gibson 1978 Les Paul Standard

Epiphone ES 335 Dot Guitar (MIA)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus Guitar (MIA)

It's all relative to playing style and hand strength. Stevie Ray had meat-hooks for hands--could probably choke a horse with one hand. On electric you don't need a fat string for volume, so it all comes down to what you feel comfortable with.

thicker strings aren't all about volume. small strings can sound stickly and brittle compared to thick ones. In addition, small strings (.08s and .09s) can tend to snap quicker and go dead faster than .10s and .11s. I play .11s on my white strat because they feel like .10s on it and I get much better tone than if I were playing actual .10s.

280PLUS
July 8, 2005, 06:48 AM
www.ccgs.org

I studied classical many a year (That was my Major, I have a degree in guitar which, along with $1.50, will get you a cup of coffee) Nowadays I agree with whoever said it takes MUCH more practice than I can devote. So I've become an avid listener and work with the people at the link above. If you're anywhere near Hartford CT come and see our shows. We've had people like Paco Pena, Pepe Romero, John Williams, the "Wonder of it all" guy John Pizzarelli, I could go on and on. We have "You and your guitar seminars" etc etc. PLUS if you hang around after the shows you can go have a late dinner with them usually. Most are pretty cool regular people to hang out with. Knowing French or Spanish can help. :p (I know very little of either, so it is not required)

I have in the past also played bluegrass, C&W, rock and my favorite "The Blues"

We recently had a big Jazz guy (Joe Beck) who invented a new way of stringing and tuning a 6 string electric that gives you absolutely AMAZING full sound from your guitar. Search on his name and the method is described at his website.

We even had the guy (Lawrence Juber) that played that well know "Tool Time" riff several million times live for the "Tool Time" show tapings. Unfortunately, that was the only good thing he played :barf:

:evil:

Aahzz
July 8, 2005, 08:48 AM
Just to throw in my $.02, I like 10's on my 'lectrics and 12's on my Martins (is there any other acoustic? ;)).

280PLUS
July 8, 2005, 09:18 AM
Martins (is there any other acoustic?)

I have this sweet little 1960 Gibson FG300...

:D

Then...

The Guitar Society once held a "Wine and Guitar Tasting" where we had wine (naturally) and Beverly Maher from NYC brought an artist (Virginia Luque) and about 5 very expensive guitars from her "Guitar Salon" with a little discussion and pieces played on each guitar. Very nice 20 floors up at the top of the Hartford Building overlooking the city at night. Anyhoo, at the end of the evening I do what I do best with guitars, carry them for other people :rolleyes: and I find myself carrying two acoustic guitars, a guitar in one hand worth $75,000 and in the other hand $100,000.

No pressure... :eek:

sheepdip
July 8, 2005, 09:25 AM
I saw "Johnny Guitar" on TV the other night.
What a stinker !!

straightShot
July 8, 2005, 09:33 AM
My son wants to buy a guitar. I'll have to show him the picture.

280PLUS
July 8, 2005, 09:43 AM
My son wants to buy a guitar. I'll have to show him the picture.

Don't spend any big dollars until you know he's going to actually continue to play it. That's a trap most music stores like to catch you in. Most of their money is made on those who buy an expensive guitar that ends up sitting in a closet. Kind of like gyms who make the most off of people that join and then never show up. When he practices on his own and starts to get better at it after a few years THEN it's time to step him up. Don't fall for the Guitar Center spiel.

LynnMassGuy
July 8, 2005, 09:46 AM
11 through 54 for me. Light strings are for wimps. Heavy strings are bolder and break less. Anyone can get used to em'.

Regards
John

280PLUS
July 8, 2005, 09:57 AM
Ever try any flatwounds? They're so cool...

:p

straightShot
July 8, 2005, 09:57 AM
Don't spend any big dollars until you know he's going to actually continue to play it. That's a trap most music stores like to catch you in. Most of their money is made on those who buy an expensive guitar that ends up sitting in a closet. Kind of like gyms who make the most off of people that join and then never show up. When he practices on his own and starts to get better at it after a few years THEN it's time to step him up. Don't fall for the Guitar Center spiel.

I agree. I don't know much about guitars, and I'd much rather put lead downrange, but I've tried to steer him from 'needing' a Gibson/Fender like his buddies to start. I saw a Yamaha electric guitar at Sam's club that comes with a stand, case, and a small amp for $185. I don't know if that would be good for him or not.

I wonder if he bought one that looked like a firearm if he's even be allowed to take it to high school!

280PLUS
July 8, 2005, 10:14 AM
I wonder if he bought one that looked like a firearm if he's even be allowed to take it to high school! Sad but true...

$185 for a guitar and amp sounds farily reasonable and not too much money to throw away if it turns out that way. You may want to invest in earplugs, oh, you probably have those already...LMAO

After I think, the third episode of spending too much $ on the whims of my kids I learned to make them prove to me they were going to stick with it before I made any serious commitments in cash. Well, The oldest did manage to sneak a semester or so of college past me BUT THAT"S THE LAST TIME! :cuss:

280PLUS
July 8, 2005, 10:32 AM
I thought it was stamped somewhere but I can't find it. But here's some pics maybe somebody knows. I included a closeup of a pic I came across of Dylan playing the exact same model :cool:

Them Martins may be louder but this one sounds prettier :D

Kramer Krazy
July 8, 2005, 10:42 AM
I was in a band until last year, when I knocked up my groupie. :eek: :evil: :D

Actually, I've had over 150 guitars go through my hands in the last seven years and once peaked out owning 43 at one time. Most of them were US-made/assembled Kramer guitars with some ESP and San Dimas Jacksons thrown in for good mix. I started the first Kramer guitar website in 1997 and co-wrote and article in Vintage Guitar Magazine on Kramers in 1998. After getting laid off, I sold most of my collection and then concentrated on "stage" guitars when I got another, better-paying job. I now only have about 10-13 guitars and basses with my favorites being a 1985 Kramer Baretta, 1985 Kramer Vanguard, 1992 ESP Lynch Sunburst Tiger, 1988 ESP Lynch Kamakazi II, 1990 ESP Lynch Snakes and Skulls, and a 1990 Ibanez Universe 7-string. Main influences are EVH and George Lynch. I dab with classical on a really nice Takamine.

Aahzz
July 8, 2005, 10:43 AM
That is, indeed, a fine-lookin' axe.

LynnMassGuy
July 8, 2005, 10:45 AM
Got flatwounds on my 63 Precision. :D

280PLUS
July 8, 2005, 10:53 AM
Here I am supposed to be working and Im yakkin' about guitars and doin' some pickin' now too. :cuss: Skunkabilly,,,

DigMe
July 8, 2005, 11:02 AM
You guys and your skinny little strings. My smallest is a .40 and my biggest is .100. :eek:

http://img286.imageshack.us/img286/9616/foderanycempire8uf.jpg

brad cook

Strings
July 8, 2005, 11:21 AM
straightShot: if your son DOES really get into playing, the absolute best thing you can get him is a Steinberger Spirit. THey're very small, fairly affordable (if you do a bit of searching on EvilBay, you can usually find one for $150-200). And it can literally go anywhere with him. Meaning he can practice anywhere...

Kramer Krazy
July 8, 2005, 12:37 PM
Bumper stickers I've thought about making:

"Guitarists do it faster"
"Bassists do it deeper"
"Fingerpickers use every finger" :D

Dave R
July 8, 2005, 12:46 PM
"Fingerpickers use every finger" OK, I'm probably getting "picky" here (but that's what we do, right?) but I don't know any fingerpicker who uses the pinky.

Travis picking only uses the thumb, 3rd and 4th finger. Traditional picking adds the 2nd finger. But nobody uses the pinky.

Unless there's some very talented person out there that I don't know about...

Skunkabilly
July 8, 2005, 01:18 PM
Here I am supposed to be working and Im yakkin' about guitars and doin' some pickin' now too. Skunkabilly,,,

I have that way with people....all we need to do is bring Cordura, Velcro, carbon fiber, and Korean female snipers into the fray.

280PLUS
July 8, 2005, 01:22 PM
all we need to do is bring Cordura, Velcro, carbon fiber, and Korean female snipers into the fray.

LMAO...

Well, you know Ovation DOES incorporate carbon fiber...It's a start?

280PLUS
July 8, 2005, 01:27 PM
Then there's my take "Why guns are like guitars."

1. A good guitar player can make a bad guitar sound good while a bad guitar player can make a good guitar sound like crap. Same for guns.

2. Most guitar players have a bazillion guitars but can't play any of them. Same for guns.

There's another one floating around in there somewhere but I can't remember it. :rolleyes:

Kramer Krazy
July 8, 2005, 01:49 PM
Dave R states:
But nobody uses the pinky.

Unless there's some very talented person out there that I don't know about...

Not necessarily "very talented", but I have written some stuff that uses all five, right-hand fingers. I typically use all except the pinky, though. As for a good example of someone who uses ALL of his fingers, look at Stanley Jordan ( www.stanleyjordan.com ). He isn't a finger-picker, nor a flat-picker - he's a tapper ;) , but he definitely uses every single finger God gave him. ;)

280PLUS
July 8, 2005, 02:15 PM
He plays his guitar like a piano instead of a guitar, one hand plays bass and the other plays treble. Very interesting style. Who was the kid that played in "Roadhouse"? He plays a similar style I believe. I knew this woman once who had taught herself to play from pictures in a book. The only problem was she copied them exactly by turning her normally stringed guitar over and playing it lefty. So the big strings were on the bottom and the little strings were on the top. She had some really wierd looking chords going on. She was billed as "The Upside Down - Backwards Guitar Player" Very strange :eek:

As far as pinkies, hey, if you can get 'em in there somewhere, have a blast!

Strings
July 8, 2005, 02:23 PM
Just occured to me I forgot to mention something in my previous post: a pocket amp. VERY helpful!

I paid like $150 for my current Steinberger, another $100 to upgrade pickups to EMG 89s, and roughly $25 for the pocket amp (the wonders of EvilBay). When it ISN'T on loan, it goes EVERYWHERE with me...

Soap
July 8, 2005, 02:49 PM
Cesiumsponge- You were probably just taught incorrectly since after a year and a half you should be well on your way. Try doing the exercises in the Carcassi Classical Method book.

Dave R- I use all five right hand fingers very frequently. I wasn't formally trained that way but I've found that I can play certain things smoother.

Kramer Krazy
July 8, 2005, 03:14 PM
I've found that I can play certain things smoother.

I use my pinkie, most frequently, when doing an arpeggio by holding a chord and doing something like this on the strings:

6-4-3-2-1-2-3-4-6

or

5-4-3-2-1-2-3-4-5

Dispite having been taught formally on classical for a year or two, I somehow gravitated to holding my right hand in a "claw" position. I don't like using thumb picks, so I have all my nails on my right hand a little bit longer than my left. To make matters worse when playing bass, I use the same hand positioning/style and get a more trebly sound due to the fingernail attack......which also makes me just about useless on bass when I break a nail. My wife gives me crap, quite often, when I complain about breaking a nail. She says I'm worse than a woman about my nails. :what: :D

Another reason that I will use my pinkie is when hitting chords with the fingernails, similar to how EVH does in "Summer Nights" off the Van Halen "5150" LP and George Lynch does on "It's Not Love" off the Dokken "Under Lock and Key" LP (I guess I should say "CD", these days).

Cesiumsponge
July 8, 2005, 05:02 PM
Don't fall for the Guitar Center spiel.

Guitar Center :barf:

If you're getting a guitar for a first-timer, make sure you get a guitar that is less pricey, but yet playable. You should probably try it yourself to make sure its reasonable. A lot of the bottom-line stuff has strings so high, its going to stress fingers more than normal just to fret them and the kid might get fustrated and give up.

Cesiumsponge- You were probably just taught incorrectly since after a year and a half you should be well on your way. Try doing the exercises in the Carcassi Classical Method book.

I only did half a year I tried to do classical for about half a year :) I didn't have enough time to dedicate to it 100%

A few (non classical) guitarists stick out in my mind. Rusty Cooley, Michael Angelo, and Timo Tolkki...mostly post-Malmsteen technical speed guitarists; I like sweep picking. Michael Angelo is creepy and can tap/hammer on two guitars simultaneously with either hand and harmonize with himself :uhoh: Rusty Cooley plays on a crazy 8 string guitar (http://www.rustycooley.com/videos/Rusty8jam-1.wmv) and has the quickest fretting fingers I've seen. There's also Alan Holdsworth, which does crazy stretched fretting in fusion jazz.

Though, some people will just call it tasteless noise :) Some of the stuff is boring and unexciting, but heck...I can never play like that. To each their own.

280PLUS
July 8, 2005, 05:59 PM
http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=3189973&from1=QUIA

here's a link for you, scroll down and start with Iraqiroll

Then tell me who his influences are :D

Get away from the three chord rut...

Dave R
July 8, 2005, 06:15 PM
If you're getting a guitar for a first-timer, make sure you get a guitar that is less pricey, but yet playable. You should probably try it yourself to make sure its reasonable. A lot of the bottom-line stuff has strings so high, its going to stress fingers more than normal just to fret them and the kid might get fustrated and give up. I totally agree with this advice, if getting a guitar for a kid. I have bought guitars for 3 of my kids, and 2 friends' kids, so far. Buy the action, not the sound, for a first guitar for kids.

In fact, my most recent purchase was a rousing success. I paid $99 for a no-name guitar for my youngest player. Has great action, but a typical wood-sandwiched-in-resin sound. All midrange, little low and not much bright. It improved a little with good strings.

But ya know, everyone in the family plays that guitar, because its always laying around in reach. We take it camping. We throw it in the car. Its like a Makarov or an SKS. A "truck guitar."

Also, a tip for all you "casual players." CHANGE YOUR FRICKIN STRINGS! Fresh strings are nice and flexible. Old, oxidized strings play like a barbed-wire fence, and sound about as good.

True story. When I married my wife, she was bragging on her guitar. A classical. Her dad was on duty in 'Nam and on leave in Japan, he shopped heavily for the best value in a fine guitar. He was referred to a guy who had just left apprenticeship with one of Japan's master guitar builders. So her dad bought home his #6 guitar. I played it and thought it was nothing special. Fast forward 5-7 years. On a lark, I changed the strings. Holy cow! What a sound! I asked the last time she had changed the strings. Not since high school. DOH!

Anyway, her guitar is Sakurai #6. To make the story weirder, the guitar player in the band I play in was bragging on his new guitar score. Turns out he acquired Sakurai #7! Imagine both of them in lil ol' Idaho.

280PLUS
July 8, 2005, 06:22 PM
CHANGE YOUR FRICKIN STRINGS!

I plead the fifth...

toivo
July 8, 2005, 10:56 PM
thicker strings aren't all about volume. small strings can sound stickly and brittle compared to thick ones.Fair enough--but it's not really noticeable at higher amp volumes and distortion levels. Clean players (amp-wise) and acoustic players will really notice the difference, but crank-and-wail people won't.

Chronic string-benders want a higher action that lets us push the bent string under the neighboring string in order to get that big bend without fighting more than one string. (A step and a half? Two whole steps? Two and a half?) With heavy strings, the extra string tension makes it an exercise for manlier men than me (like Stevie Ray). Tall frets, high action, light strings: that's my flavor.

Q: How many guitar players does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A: Five: one to do it and four to say "I could do that."

toivo
July 8, 2005, 10:58 PM
Also, a tip for all you "casual players." CHANGE YOUR FRICKIN STRINGS! Fresh strings are nice and flexible. Old, oxidized strings play like a barbed-wire fence, and sound about as good.True--unless you play that really funky down-and-dirty blues, in which case sounding like a barbed-wire fence is a GOOD thing!

Sir Aardvark
July 9, 2005, 12:07 AM
Hey Skunk,

That picture looks like a heavily modified Steinberger bass.

Tinker
July 9, 2005, 12:19 AM
http://www.staxy-overdrive.mobilixnet.dk/Resources/Ted%20Nugent%20-%20Weekend%20Warriors.jpg

Skunkabilly,

The idea originated years ago with Ted Nugent.

280PLUS
July 9, 2005, 03:34 AM
two steps...

Yup, thats about where them 9s give up! :evil:

For a true Authentic blues sound I think you actually HAVE TO USE BARBED WIRE! :eek:

toivo
July 9, 2005, 01:11 PM
For a true Authentic blues sound I think you actually HAVE TO USE BARBED WIRE!Amen--but it's rough on the fingerboard! Better go with maple...

Gewehr98
July 9, 2005, 01:53 PM
I'm trying to pick a melody out of it, or was it just shredding for the sake of shredding? It's kinda painful to listen to after a bit.

My own personal guitar hero? Has anybody here seen and heard Tommy Emmanuel? He's Australian, so I suppose with such stringent gun laws, he had to focus on something else to demonstrate accuracy and rapid-fire. ;)

See the Woodsongs showlist below, his most recent appearance there is Show #349. (Another band opens for that episode, so you'll have to wade through them to get to Tommy)

http://www.woodsongs.com/showlist.asp

An even more impressive display of Tommy's skills is Show #245, further down the showlist page.

LiquidTension
July 9, 2005, 02:54 PM
John Petrucci made me want to play the guitar. I've long since given up trying to learn (firearms take priority now), but I still love to listen to his stuff. If only Mike Portnoy would learn some new fills, maybe DT's albums would become entertaining again.... Oh, and Chris Cornell needs to replace James LaBrie :barf:

280PLUS
July 9, 2005, 04:40 PM
I'm trying to pick a melody out of it, or was it just shredding for the sake of shredding? It's kinda painful to listen to after a bit.

Some call it speed for the sake of speed with no musical value, so you're close! Al Dimeola comes to mind when I think of this. :eek:

;)

Listening to #245 right now, Yeaaaa, Chet Atkins style... :D

Gewehr98
July 9, 2005, 05:25 PM
All I know is, each time I try to fret and pick as quickly and smoothly as Tommy, I quit, put my guitars and amps away in the closet, and redirect my focus at handloading or building another rifle. :(

280PLUS
July 9, 2005, 05:30 PM
I know the feeling. After one of those concerts I was talking about, most of us are on the way home to either practice more or burn our guitars :uhoh:
I used to have an old drunk roomie who'd teach me a little Chet Atkins for a 1/2 pint of gin. Problem was he'd turn mean and nasty as the gin settled in so it never got too far. HE was good at it, I never really got to be but I understand the style. Do you know if Tommy is using a pick for the bass or his thumb? Chet used a pick. I'm going to mention him to the powers that be. Maybe they'll book him! :)

FYI Steve Howe of "Yes" fame did a little tune in Chet Atkins style called "The Clap" ever hear of it? He's a Brit and over there "clap" doesn't mean what it means here. He actually means CLAP as in putting your hands together. He was appalled when he found out what it meant here... :p

Gewehr98
July 9, 2005, 05:35 PM
Right after he gives the impromptu lesson to the resident guitarist. Tommy's wearing a thumb pick. Looking at his guitar, I'll bet he goes through strings like underwear. ;)

That depresses me even more. The hell with it, I'm setting up the Dillon to make a batch of .223 right now. :o

[may as well] Buy, Sell and Trade: Accessories. Immaculate Mosrite Ventures guitar and Danelectro Nifty Fifty amp, Zoom 505 effects pedal. Owner just plain blown away by self-taught Australian guitar virtuoso. [/just sayin']

280PLUS
July 9, 2005, 05:38 PM
(I edited my previous post, so go back a second,)

Unfortunately all I'm getting is audio on that.

Interesting because Chet holds a regular pick between thumb and forefinger. With Tommy's style he frees up his forefinger which will add to the effect. Very cool! And actually easier that Chet's way, it's like a fusion of Chet and Classical picking styles.

Fly320s
July 9, 2005, 05:42 PM
I am flat out amazed that this thread has stayed open for so long.

I think there was some gun-ish content near the beginning. :neener: :eek:

280PLUS
July 9, 2005, 05:45 PM
You obviously missed my contributions as to why guitars and guns are alike...

3. There are those who do a lot of talking and those who let their guitars do their talking for them...

Same with guns

4. With guitars some people are legends in their own time while others are legends in their own minds.

Same with guns...

Dave R
July 9, 2005, 10:57 PM
Requisite gun content....

So are the people who like .09's (small and fast) the same people who like 9mm?

And are the people who like .12's on their acoustics the same people who like .45s? (I am.)

Strings
July 10, 2005, 02:40 AM
ok... I go for 9s on the electrics, and 10s on the acoustic. And I like both 9 and .45...

Of course, I'm also an oddball... ;)

Biker
July 10, 2005, 05:51 AM
I use Ernie Ball Hybrids on my '73 Strat and 12s on my '63 LP Junior which I have set up for slide. On my Dobro I use Dmerle heavies and lights on my 73 Epiphone. So I guess I'd be a .40 on my Strat, ya think?
Biker

280PLUS
July 10, 2005, 06:07 AM
Gee, I'm starting to think THR band :eek:

"The Clap" is on Yessongs, I tried to find a sample of it but no luck :(

Of course, in the US that would be a good thing! :p

5. Most really good guitar players are always willing to take a few minutes and show a new player "a few licks".

Same with guns...

6. Put two guitar players together and they'll yak for hours about guitars.

Put a couple of gunners together...

Biker
July 10, 2005, 06:16 AM
Agreed, 280. I teach, have forever it seems, but I'm always looking to help out other players when I can. Fact is, I find that I can usually learn something from just about anyone, regardless of how long they've been playing, if I pay close enough attention.
Biker :)

280PLUS
July 10, 2005, 07:13 AM
Fact is, I find that I can usually learn something from just about anyone, regardless of how long they've been playing

Same for guns...

Biker
July 10, 2005, 07:53 AM
Indeed. If nothing else-what NOT to do.

Biker

280PLUS
July 10, 2005, 08:03 AM
Lol...

:)

Soap
July 10, 2005, 10:16 AM
One of my teachers, Roger Hoard, actually had a picture in his office of him onstage with Chet :cool: He taught me the Chet, Kirtley, Keaggy, etc. style of acoustic guitar playing.

GregGry
July 10, 2005, 11:03 AM
So are the people who like .09's (small and fast) the same people who like 9mm?

I run .09s, but perfer the .45 in every way to the 9mm :p

Justin
July 10, 2005, 12:05 PM
I am flat out amazed that this thread has stayed open for so long.

I think there was some gun-ish content near the beginning. I thought I felt a disturbance in The Force. :p

This is a topic that would be much more appropriate for Armed Polite Society (http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/viewforum.php?id=1) so you guy ought to take the thread over there where it can happily stay open forever.

I don't know the first thing about playing a guitar, but if you've got the money, check out the stuff built by Tom Bills. (http://tbguitars.com/) His guitars are truly a work of art, both to look at, and listen to.

If you enjoyed reading about "For those shopping for a guitar" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!