Hornday SST Shotgun Slug?

PDA

Lee F
July 6, 2005, 09:42 PM
Has anyone used or tested the new sabot slug? This trajectory and reported accuracy will change shotgun hunting for deer.

http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=148

If you enjoyed reading about "Hornday SST Shotgun Slug?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Wags
July 6, 2005, 11:19 PM
Lee F: Check out my favorite slugs, Lightfields. See the complete website and history if you have time. At $8.99 a box I think they are pretty good too. WARNING: THESE SLUGS ARE MADE IN HUNGARY.

http://www.lightfieldslugs.com/lightfield/press.cfm?pageid=335

walking arsenal
July 7, 2005, 12:27 AM
whats wrong with hungarian slugs?

Wags
July 7, 2005, 08:08 AM
There is not a thing wrong with Hungarian made ammunition. These Lighfields are loaded in Hungary by Nitrokemia-Fiocchi. Most european ammunition I've used is on the hot side, especially when I see the name Fiocchi. Sorry that I did not clarify my thoughts earlier. Great affordable slugs.

Lee F
July 7, 2005, 11:24 AM
I went to Remington's site and compared the SST trajectory and energy to both a 30-30 and 45-70 out to 200 yards and it gives up nothing.

The lightfield looks good. What its accuracy?

Wags
July 7, 2005, 12:26 PM
Lee F: Accuracy is excellent with Lightfield slugs through my Remington 870 rifled super slug barrel with cantilever (Leupold scope). Pick up a box and you'll see how accurate they are. My 870 is sighted in at 75yards. I hate to say my group size in inches, but they are tight. Yours could be tighter, or not. These babies work.

I'm sorry that I have never sighted in shotgun slugs past 75 yards in 35 years of deer hunting. It's due to the terrain I hunt in I guess. 200 yards for a standard slug gun in my opinion is stretching it. I feel the pins inserting into the Wags voodoo doll after that last comment.

hobbeeman
July 8, 2005, 12:40 AM
These Sabot sites all mention a rifled shotgun barrel. Is a rifled choke tube sufficient? Is it easy to find a rifled barrel?

scout26
July 8, 2005, 06:57 PM
HBman,

Yes, sabot (pronounced SAY-bow) rounds will work through a rifled choke tube, but will work better in a fully rifled barrel.

Best thing to do (as with all shotgun ammo) is buy a bunch of different types and spend some time at the range testing. Either bring a pad or pain relievers for you shoulder. Shooting a bunch of slugs in one day will hurt. :( :(

If you enjoyed reading about "Hornday SST Shotgun Slug?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!