Can shotguns be used for targets?

PDA

Mr. Loud Guns
July 7, 2005, 12:14 AM
:o I was just wondering if a shotgun firing slugs can be used for targets. I have done it but I was just wondering if I was a minority. Can any of you reccomend a shotgun that is accurate is under 250 dollars and does not have a pistol grip. (mine does). Sorry about all of the questions.

If you enjoyed reading about "Can shotguns be used for targets?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
nico
July 7, 2005, 12:17 AM
I think you can get a Remington 870 for that, but I have to ask: why? Slugs aren't cheap and a shotgun won't be as accurate as a rifle shooting much cheaper ammo.

mattw
July 7, 2005, 12:44 AM
yeah i think that would get pretty expensive.. almost $1 a pop for cheap slugs. .308 is more fun :p

Mr. Loud Guns
July 7, 2005, 12:54 AM
I just wanted something that makes as big or holes as my 50 bmg without paying so much for bullets, slugs are cheaper. Also I agree that .308 ir fun to shoot but I prefer 30/06.

mattw
July 7, 2005, 12:59 AM
Are you really 14 and do you really own a .50 BMG?

Fumbler
July 7, 2005, 01:17 AM
Buy a scope mount, scope, and shoulder stock. You can hit a man sized target out to 100 yards easily with plain foster slugs and a scope.

Mr. Loud Guns
July 7, 2005, 01:45 AM
Yes I am really 14 and yes I own a 50 bmg :neener: go to the July THR competition for more details. How does that apply here though? :scrutiny: Thanks fumbler.

mattw
July 7, 2005, 02:05 AM
just jealous... :)

Fumbler
July 7, 2005, 02:20 AM
Seriously though, if you have $250 to spend on a new gun you could easily turn any modern pump gun into a slug gun with great accuracy.

I have a Mossberg 500. I put a cheap tasco scope (found it under a pile of stuff in my closet) and stuck it on there for fun. At 100 yards it would shoot 4" groups with Brenneke KO slugs...then I decided to shoot some 3" mag slugs and the groups started opening up. Turns out the reticle shook loose in the scope :o
No worries though, I expected it to happen and it was just for fun.

After that I made some peep sights out of aluminum angle iron. Offhand at 25 yards I could put the Brennekes into 2" groups.

The main reason a plain hunting shotgun isn't accurate is the sighting device. Get yourself something useable like a scope, red dot, iron sights, or peep sights and you may be surprised what the gun can do. If you want more accuracy then buy a rifled barrel. Many people claim to be able to shoot 2" groups at 100 yards with sabotted slugs in a rifled shotgun. For me though, I'm poor and stick with a smoothbore and peep sights for my deer hunting needs.

If you have a modern pump gun from a big company (Rem, Mossberg, Ithaca, Win, etc) then you own one of the most versatile firearms out there, so there's really no need to get a new gun.....of course there's always more room for new guns :D

BTW, in gun magazine tests the heavy rifle barreled NEF single shot shotguns are at the top for accuracy and they are cheaper than most basic pump guns.

Mr. Loud Guns
July 7, 2005, 03:20 AM
Yeah after that I am now considering getting one of those cool fold up stocks for it and putting on a red dot (I ALSO have a mossberg 500 and it is drilled and tapped). Thanks, this will save me alot of money that I can spend on other things such as MORE GUNS. ....................also matt start bowing to my 50 cal or on the other hand go to HERE (http://www.serbu.com) and buy one. :D

mattw
July 7, 2005, 04:09 AM
I have better things to do than spend $6 bucks a round or whatever for a .50 BMG, like spend $6 for 50 rounds in my XD9 :D

New_geezer
July 7, 2005, 04:53 AM
"yeah i think that would get pretty expensive.. almost $1 a pop for cheap slugs. .308 is more fun"

Maybe I just got lucky but I got WWB 12 ga slugs at my local Wal-mart, 15 slugs per box, $5.75 a box. They work just fine - I was very surprised, I expected to pay more.

Fred Fuller
July 7, 2005, 07:29 AM
Well... I guess you could consider a 12 ga. shooting slugs a decent trainer for a .50BMG, if you looked at it in a certain way. Though there is nothing quite like touching off a .50 with a well designed muzzle brake, it is an experience nothing else I have fired duplicates.

You won't get the range with slugs that you do with the BFG of course, but at less than 200 yards at the outside you can work on groups for as long as your shoulder holds out. Forget the 'cool fold up stock' tho. The red dot or a low powered scope wouldn't hurt, or you can do OK with iron sights for that matter.

A basic slug gun from any of the Big 3 will do fine for what you want, I would think. Make sure the gun fits you properly, of course. Usually the length of pull is the big thing to get right, a lot of factory stocks are too long.

Have fun, stay safe-

lpl/nc

Smoke
July 7, 2005, 08:18 AM
I have shot slugs at targets past 200 yards. (Lobbed might be a better word than "shot")

Slugs are best kept inside 100 (inside 75 is even better)

If you really want to shoot some slugs out past 100 yards look heavily into a rifled barrel and sabots.

I love shotguns. I love slug guns. But fail to see how one can bring a 50bmg into the conversation in any regard.

Smoke

Jim Watson
July 7, 2005, 08:48 AM
There was at one time an organazation formed to do serious competitive shooting with shotgun slugs. There were some weird and wonderful guns built up and some amazing targets posted. Not for $250 with a folding stock though. I haven't seen anything about it in a good while, so probably it did not catch on too widely.

LeonCarr
July 7, 2005, 08:55 AM
Purchase a fully rifled slug barrel with scope for your Mossberg, and leave the factory fixed stock on it.

How did you buy a .50?

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Mr. Loud Guns
July 7, 2005, 06:44 PM
Why do people always end up asking me that and I agree that 50 bmg has nothing to do with this post however. :scrutiny: Any who I saved up my money for about a year and ahalf, gave it my parents and a couple day's later I got my serbu. GREAT GUN, :) but still how does this fit in here?

eab
July 7, 2005, 10:25 PM
It doesn't, its just that a lot of us find it odd that a 14 year old kid has .50 bmg....

Mr. Loud Guns
July 7, 2005, 11:36 PM
Yes I agree that possibly that could be considered strange to some people but still not everyone of my age owns only one firearm being a 22. I prefer to have choices in my firearms and ome of my choices is a 50. By the way surplus ammo is 150 rounds for 180 dollars at cheaper than dirt not 6 dollars a bullet, that is a bit extreme.

mattw
July 7, 2005, 11:50 PM
I was thinking match ammo and trying to exagerate

Hawk
July 8, 2005, 12:12 AM
Can shotguns be used for targets?

Absolutely.

I've been tempted to use mine as a target after a particularly bad round of clays. Leaned it up against a tree at 50 yards and shot at it with my deer rifle.

Sorry.
Couldn't resist :o

If you enjoyed reading about "Can shotguns be used for targets?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!