20ga. semi recommendations and prices

PDA

Bemo
July 7, 2005, 07:17 PM
Greetings. I'm looking for a good used 20 ga. semi and need to know which ones to look for and which ones to avoid. Also some ball-park gestimates on price would be helpful. I live in Boise, Idaho and so far I'm not finding many 20ga. semi's at all. The ones I'm finding are more than a new Charles Daly (don't know who really makes those). Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "20ga. semi recommendations and prices" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Fred Fuller
July 7, 2005, 09:43 PM
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3170091

You haven't mentioned the ballpark price you're looking for, but how's
$424.93 sound? For a new one, that is. It's hard to beat an 1100 for a gas gun.

And if you are smaller statured, the Youth model is at http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3170090 , and it's $442.48. Shorter stock, (12 1/2" LOP, IIRC) and a 21" barrel make this thing super handy and deadly quick. I built a 3-gun shotgun on one of these once and it was a real struggle to give it back to the owner when I finished, it was that neat.

Good luck shopping, hope you find what you want...

lpl/nc

HSMITH
July 7, 2005, 09:58 PM
The new 1100's I have been around have been problematic. The older ones are great guns, I have one that I really like. Older ones should run between $250 and $350 depending on condition.

The best 20's on the market right now are the Beretta 391 and the Browning Gold. Both retail new at a little over $800 around here, and can be found used for $500-$600.

Bill B.
July 8, 2005, 03:42 PM
Both of these guns are now out of production but the Beretta 303 & the Browning A5 Light 20 are both favorite hunting guns. I would take either of these shotguns if given the chance over anything currently made. This is just personal preference not that I have anything bad to say about those other guns mentioned. Try Guns America to come up with the some prices on both of these shotguns. :)

Bemo
July 8, 2005, 07:45 PM
Well my searching has lead me to believe that a decent 20ga. semi is not in the cards right now (looking in $250 range; wish there were an A5 around in 20ga.) The 1100 20 ga. is indeed out of production and the 1187 that is/was introduced is not available in my area and is also out of my price range.

I did find a decent used (looked new) Winchester semi in 20ga. Anything really bad about these?

I'll probably just go with a 870 in 20ga.

Thanks again. You guys are the best.

HSMITH
July 8, 2005, 11:39 PM
The 1400 isn't much of a shotgun, I would pass if it was a 1400 but you don't mention the exact model.........

I have a low mileage Mossberg 500C pump 20ga and a nice Remington 11-58 semi-auto 20 ga collecting dust here, if you have an FFL that will do a transfer reasonably and you are interested shoot me a PM or an email.

Pietro Beretta
July 8, 2005, 11:52 PM
Does it need to be semi?

I shoot clays all the time, pretty consistantly with my brothers 18" Barrel 12g Pump. Savage

Of course This is just fun "plinking."

A Pump just costs that much less...

Moonclip
July 10, 2005, 02:49 AM
Look around for a used gun and you may do Ok. I do believe used smaller gauges tend to go for more. I see Win 1400's plus or minus 200 sometimes and I picked up an ok looking Rem 11, Browning Auto 5 clone for 150 last year in 20 ga.

Bemo
July 10, 2005, 11:17 AM
Well, the shotgun is for my mother. She lives on some property that has problems with semi-wild dogs periodically. I was initially thinking of a semi-auto since the recoil would be a little less. However, because of her arthritis, a pump is a better option. Turns out a nurse I work with has an 870 that the stock has already been shortened. Looks like it will be a win-win. Thanks for the ideas and offers. Take care.

If you enjoyed reading about "20ga. semi recommendations and prices" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!