I got an 1897 !

PDA

Gordon
July 8, 2005, 01:16 AM
I found a like new 1897 for $350, and bought it.
Now I KNEW it was a reblue and the butt stock was not original, BUT both features were very well done. I took the thing apart and opened the action which shows pretty much all there is to see, it looks crisp and tight .The blue is very high polish but with no rounded edges or overpolished markings ect. The replacement Butt is very dense unfigured walnut, a little thicker than original around tang but not clubby and has a checkered pistol grip.. Has a Bishop hard black butt plate at about 13 3/4" LOP so it fits me very well and mounts quickly with sights right there! The 26" barrel is marked Imp cyl which really caught my eye as most are full choke and longer. Serial# is 857xxx which should mean 1937 and it is takedown.I will take pictures when I get the gun, as I had to buy it from a gunstore :rolleyes:

If you enjoyed reading about "I got an 1897 !" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dave McCracken
July 8, 2005, 05:14 AM
Sounds nice, now go shoot it much.....

StephenT
July 8, 2005, 05:56 AM
That's a great price for an original 1897 in nice condition. The heavily used ones I've seen at gun shows go for $450 and up. I picked up a NIB Norinco '97 copy, which I like. Definitely post some pictures.

kudu
July 8, 2005, 06:40 AM
Sounds great, and a good price. :D

RTFM
July 8, 2005, 10:47 AM
Good find Gordon, that's 1/5 the price I have seen here.
We have 1 Gun shop and 1 pawn shop with 1897's and both are $2000

Gunsnrovers
July 8, 2005, 10:53 AM
I still see old 97's with 30" tubes in the mid $300 range. Most are pretty tired, but it doesn't take much to get them running again. CAS has dried up the market on the guns, but it's also created a fair amount of aftermarket support.

I love mine. Enjoy yours. I believe the 26" tube was strictly special order.

BigG
July 8, 2005, 11:00 AM
Here is mine. Enjoy yours, Gordon! Great price, btw.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=537077

roo_ster
July 8, 2005, 11:45 AM
My maternal great grandfather had an 1897. When he died, it came to our family. My dad tried to reblue it at home & dorked it up. He then had it parked. Eventually, he traded it for an eye-talian O/U.

Never mess up or sell family weapons.

captain obvious
July 8, 2005, 12:20 PM
Never mess up or sell family weapons.

Boy, are my kids going to be screwed.

Texian Pistolero
July 8, 2005, 12:26 PM
Now you gotta go memorize the appropriate lines from "The Wild Bunch", like;

"howdya like to kiss my sister's butt, kidsies!"

det.pat
July 8, 2005, 12:42 PM
i believe he said "kiss my sisters black cat's ass" i have an all original 1897 18.5 inch takedown gun, tight as a vault, got it in altoona pa for $300 while on a case.
pat

mec
July 8, 2005, 01:57 PM
Great Shotgun.
But Don't set the hammer all the way down on a loaded chamber and don't squat down real quick and, when you do, don't let the happer come into sharp contact with your knee cap. A guy I know did that when we were playing around with a grenade and he wanted to cut a low profile.

The hammer hitting his knee probably would have hurt pretty bad but he couldn't tell because the ctg going off hurt a lot more.

mattw
July 8, 2005, 02:07 PM
Awesome purchase! I've always wanted one but gave up on finding one like your s a long time ago.. I'll get a Norinco some time soon.

Gordon
July 8, 2005, 05:27 PM
Thanks MEC 10-4 :D

If you enjoyed reading about "I got an 1897 !" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!