Shotgun w/ Bayonet

PDA

rwc
July 8, 2005, 12:24 AM
I just finished Jeff Sharra's latest novel, "To the Last Man, A novel of the First World War." One of the characters trades his machine gun in for a shotgun that can mount a bayonet. Anyone familiar with which shotgun this was?

If you enjoyed reading about "Shotgun w/ Bayonet" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hobbeeman
July 8, 2005, 12:29 AM
In WWII there were "trench guns", shotguns with bayonets. A Remington Model 12 is shown in the grading system pics in the Blue Book of Gun Values.

dfariswheel
July 8, 2005, 01:04 AM
America used two trench guns during WWI....The Winchester Model 1897 and the Winchester Model 1912.

These set the pattern for military shotguns up until the Vietnam war.
The "pattern" was a short pump shotgun, fitted with a steel barrel shroud with an attaching point for a bayonet.

The purpose of the barrel shroud was to allow griping the barrel while using the bayonet, without burning your hand on a hot barrel.

Gunsnrovers
July 8, 2005, 01:06 AM
Don't forget the Stevens 520 and 620's. :)

opps! Saw WWII in the second post and missed WWI in the original post. No Stevens shotguns in WWI. :o

det.pat
July 8, 2005, 01:21 AM
i believe you are thinking of the winchester 1897 in it's trenchbroom configuration. also the heat shield is a tremendous help when reloading a really hot shotgun.
pat

rwc
July 9, 2005, 12:06 AM
Thanks all.

Moonclip
July 10, 2005, 02:45 AM
Modern Mossberg 590's have a bayo lug that takes an AR bayonet. I always thought such a equiped Moss would be neat, give a home invader even more to be worried about, and just try to snatch that gun away from me! And if gun jammed for some reason you would have a reasonably effective weapon still. Just try to explain to a jury why the home invader was sent to the hospital/morgue with a bayonet wound!

If you enjoyed reading about "Shotgun w/ Bayonet" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!