SxS Handicap vs. OU?

PDA

Hammerhead
July 9, 2005, 10:31 AM
Hello,
I was reading a Usenet article on shotguns, and the writer claimed that a side by side shotgun was given a 5 clays per hundred handicap when shooting against an over/under.

Does this sound reasonable? That a sxs is about 5% less successful than an ou? I know that ou's dominate at the highest level, but I thought we were talking a bird or two out of a thousand?

Regards,
Hammerhead

If you enjoyed reading about "SxS Handicap vs. OU?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dave McCracken
July 9, 2005, 02:49 PM
Some groups do handicap like that,and 5 birds sounds in the ball park.

The Vintagers do similar, with 3-5 bird spots for sub guage, pump action, etc.

For whatever reasons, O/Us have become the weapon of choice for clay games.

SxS shotguns,however, hold their own in the fields and thickets for hunting. Why this is has been debated more than once, here, and often still echoes around clubhouses and hunting camps.

If your aim is to dominate the Nationals, then use an O/U. If you want to have fun and take birds better than your buds, use what you have and learn to use it well.....

Okiecruffler
July 10, 2005, 02:04 AM
Now I'm willing to admit that the OU has an advantage over the SXS in clays. Too many people on here whose opinion I respect have said so. But I'd be downright insulted if someone offered to spot me 5 birds.

If you enjoyed reading about "SxS Handicap vs. OU?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!