Unexpected Conversation

PDA

pax
March 21, 2003, 12:16 AM
So tonight, I was at worship team practice at my church. Worship team is a very small group of people who help lead the congregational singing on Sunday mornings. There were six of us there tonight.

Anyway, tonight I warned them that I would not be at church on Sunday, so the other two women singers were going to have to cope without me on the new song. One of them is a public school teacher and the other a genteel lady of retirement age. So when the school teacher asked, "What are you doing Sunday, then?" I kind of stammered a bit and said, "Oh, I've got a class."

Of course I didn't get away with that. :o

"A class in what?" she inquired politely.

"Shooting. I'm taking a shooting class."

Both of them just lit up and started talking a mile a minute.

"Shooting? You have a gun?--"

"What kind of shooting? Targets? Hunting? Self defense? My husband wants me to carry--"

"--I have a concealed weapons permit, my friend just freaked out!!! when she found out about it--"

"--A friend of mine went to see that really awful movie, the one with all the half truths, what was it...?"

"--Bowling for Columbine? I heard it was full of errors--"

"Oh, you can make statistics say anything you want...."

Turns out my quasi-liberal school teacher friend has a CCW, and the genteel lady's husband has been after her for years to take a class. She's not against it, just has never gotten around to doing it. She wants a CCW, but her husband won't "let" her go get one unless she's gotten a class too. So I told her about the freebie classes being offered at FAS around the corner from here, and I think she's going to sign up for the next one in May. :D

pax

The opposite of bravery is not cowardice, but conformity. -- Robert Anthony

If you enjoyed reading about "Unexpected Conversation" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Goet
March 21, 2003, 12:28 AM
So.....
will this be a future singing/shooting club?:)

Redlg155
March 21, 2003, 12:35 AM
Once word gets around I suspect you three will be very successful in motivitating fellow congregation members to sing.......or else. :D

Good Shooting
RED

jmbg29
March 21, 2003, 12:49 AM
Very :cool:!

happy old sailor
March 21, 2003, 12:54 AM
interesting pax, very interesting. i recruited a lady for ccw tonight at the resturant i frequent. i did not know her but had seen her there several times before.

she approached my table, i was alone, and asked if she could speak with me. of course. she had overheard a friend and i discussing guns. she knows nothing about them, but felt she should have one. we went from there.

yep, will start with the .22, muffs, glasses, etc. am proud to say i have done this many times. i will cancel a fishing trip to teach a lady to shoot. i feel safer around armed women. talk about hiding behind skirts, hehe.

always recruiting and speaking for the cause.

QuickDraw
March 21, 2003, 12:54 AM
Pax,
Thats great! 2 new shootin' buddies:D .
Its amazing,we're everywhere!

QuickDraw

Tamara
March 21, 2003, 12:55 AM
Yay for the good guys!

Pretty cool, pax! :)

10-Ring
March 21, 2003, 12:58 AM
Why can't I meet people like that when I go to church? :rolleyes:

twoblink
March 21, 2003, 02:08 AM
10-Ring...

There are only 3 people in my church in LA that own guns. The rest stare at us like we are freaks..

But of course, when we go camping, and there are "strange noises" they will ask if any of us brought our guns... (hypocrites)

Good going pax!

labgrade
March 21, 2003, 02:40 AM
Interesting, pax.

Remainder's in a PM.

Rest of y'all can do a PM to me if you're curious.

Double Maduro
March 21, 2003, 04:05 AM
Old Sailer,

Don't cancel the fishing trip, take her along on that also.

Good work all.

Kharn
March 21, 2003, 08:56 AM
Twoblink: I bet they would get the message if the three of you pitched your tents 50 yards from everyone else.

Kharn

Watchman
March 21, 2003, 09:22 AM
I always thought that church was a great place to "inform"...:D

I have had almost the same conversation as Pax has in my church. When people find out that I am an instructor, they come to me with the usual questions.

It can be funny sometimes. There are always a few that start out a bit timid because they know little of the subject. Once you make it easy for them, they'll start warming up the the idea of having or carrying a gun.When they see that others are of like mind, it helps them to make a decision about it.

Ive already qualified the Preachers wife, lots of the choir and more than a few of the congregation. Of course,having a preacher with an above average amount of common sense about self defense and using biblical illustrations to support it helps.

I like my preachers outlook. While he is accustomed to helping one learn about the spiritual side of life, he also teaches about the practicle side of it and that includes taking responsiblity for ones own actions, such as self defense.

In fact, he let the local gunclub use one of the classrooms to qualify and certify their CCW instructors. As a result, hundreds a people in this town have got their CCW's.

Kalindras
March 21, 2003, 09:33 AM
So.....
will this be a future singing/shooting club?

Yeah, they'll sing, "Praise God, and pass the ammunition!!

:D :evil: :D

Mauserlady
March 21, 2003, 09:34 AM
Watch out Pax, before you know it you'll have the whole lot of them shootin and carryin... :D

A friend of mine from MI was talking to some of the people in his church about he and his wife taking their class that weekend. By the time all was said and done they had 20 people signed up for that day and another day scheduled for another 20 people... Before ya know it the whole church will be packin...

foghornl
March 21, 2003, 10:02 AM
Well Done, Pax ! ! ! ! !

Before ya know it the whole church will be packin...
I pity the fool that tries somethin' in That church

BigG
March 21, 2003, 10:28 AM
Nearer my Glock, to thee... :D

larry_minn
March 21, 2003, 10:46 AM
Good work. I have instructed a few folks over the years. I have two gals in FL to instruct when I get back down there. One is my wife ;)
I didn't use to carry at church as a rule. That has changed. :(
Anyone who tries to think like a Terrorist can find TONS of targets with little to no risk. A nice small church in middle of nowhere with only two exits to contol.......
I had once where a van pulls up and 5 people come up during sermon. They stood in back making some noise. I realized the poor position everyone was in if they were out for trouble. This was just after that crazy guy shot up a church out West. Winds up they got church time mixed up is all and were relatives of a elderly member.

shermacman
March 21, 2003, 11:03 AM
Just like at the range when ever I start singing people put on ear protection...:eek:

XLMiguel
March 21, 2003, 11:04 AM
PTL & PTA :cool:

(Praise the Lord & pass the ammunition, la-la la laaaaaaaaa)

Brad Johnson
March 21, 2003, 05:48 PM
One of the local range regulars is a CHL-holding pastor at a non-denominational church. I asked him one time if he carried a pistol while preaching. He smiled real big and said "Nope, I don't carry A pistol, I carry TWO!" Turns out he's always got a Kimber Ultra-Carry in an IWB and a Kahr PM9 in an ankle rig while at the pulpit.

Brad

Blackhawk
March 21, 2003, 06:11 PM
Outstanding, pax! :D

Proud of you and them! :neener:

sm
March 21, 2003, 06:26 PM
Good one!

RAY WOODROW 3RD
March 21, 2003, 07:10 PM
Here is one for you.

The men of the Baptist Church I belong to get together the first Saturday of every month for breakfast in order to socialize and give each other strength to carry on the Christian way while in the world. They wanted to have a retreat set up for the group so I offered up my hunting club's cabin down in the pine barrens. We can sleep over 36 people.

The main guy comes down:scrutiny: and checks it out and agrees that the place will work. He goes up to the pulpit during morning services and anounces that the "Iron Men" will have their first anual retreat at the club and names the club. Want to know the name of the club?

:what: The BUCKEYE GUN CLUB! :what:

You could have heard a pin drop in the church when those words were eckoed!:D the look on many of the ladies faces were priceless!:D

I know. All you pro-gun state gunnies are saying, "What's the big deal?" :confused: Check what state I live in on my signature line and that should say enough. I live in the belly of the beast!

We will not be shooting during the retreat but I'm sure a lot of the talk down there will be on guns when it is not on scripture. I will definitely find out who the closet gunnies are. I already have had some older men of the church ask me about the range and if they could shoot thier blah, blah, blah, at another time. Time to find out who my allies are and take it from there. :cool:

Shadowbat
March 23, 2003, 04:46 PM
Hey, if you were Catholic, you could call yourselves the "Nuns with Guns.";)

Skunkabilly
March 23, 2003, 05:02 PM
Hahahah I run my guitar class and told them I won't be there next week.

"Class? What class are you taking?"

"Night shooting. SHooting in the dark with a flashlight." :D

I haven't found too many shooters at mine. I should wear my Beretta hat and work the crowd.

BigG
March 23, 2003, 05:12 PM
And now a reading from Reciprocations 7.62...

thumbtack
March 23, 2003, 05:48 PM
That is really good, and I needed a little good news after watching the war coverage so much. :)

Monte Harrison
March 24, 2003, 11:42 AM
Way :cool: !

chaim
March 24, 2003, 06:17 PM
A guy I know is getting a letter of endorsement from his rabbi asking the state for a CCW so that he can carry to and from services. Seems the federal warnings that Jewish institutions and synagogues have an increased terrorist risk is being taken seriously. Also, anti-semitism is on the rise in the neighborhood that the Orthodox community is within. Of course, this being MD he will be turned down. Self defense isn't a permissable reason (unless you have a documented death threat). A business owner asking permission for him/her or an employee to carry to protect business assets is permissable, a rabbi asking that a synagogue member be allowed to carry to protect the congregation probably won't be considered permissable. Have to love Maryland.:banghead:

Anyway, I've had a lot of conversations about guns with fellow Orthodox Jews during our sabbath and at synagogue. I have a few people who I'm supposed to go to the range with at some point (including some non-shooters).

If you enjoyed reading about "Unexpected Conversation" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!